Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pacmanretro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

69BA37F8-65CD-402B-A453-AF5E247055AC.gif
EB6473B1-797D-4E82-846F-8895D1FA660F (resized).png
81321092-C076-40AC-80A8-91C2A9C085DC (resized).jpeg
1F867585-36F3-4D46-AB37-FE2B7CD4222E (resized).jpeg
CC1A4DEF-1B7D-4DAA-AE4D-4B957E1797A3 (resized).jpeg
leaded-gasoline-pump-photo (resized).jpg
A6962368-E578-42F1-B68D-E8F233E20BC2 (resized).jpeg
EE203EB0-6601-416C-8F29-2EDA5790F309 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I had not really thought about this until a few days ago. Is lead paint something to worry about with pinball machines? I'm not talking about restoring them, I feel like that's a no-brainer, if you are sanding any pin you should do it outside with a mask, take all precautions. I'm just wondering about buying anything older and putting it in your house. I know it was banned for home use in 1978, but not for commercial products. I only have a MET Pro in my collection, so I'm not too concerned right now, but thinking about getting a Stargate again someday since I enjoyed it and was wondering if Gottlieb used lead based paints. Any thoughts on this?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hasn't killed me yet!

Ok, let me clarify - in terms of having kids in your house. I'm more curious at this point than worried, but who knows?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Prior to 1975 all gasoline was leaded too. Imagine what that was like with those big belch fire V-8s with no emission controls blowing that stuff into the air.
The only reason they got rid of it is it would kill catalytic converters which were new at the time.

Very true!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not dangerous unless you start eating it or breathe it in after you sand down a cabinet.

Yep, everybody did.

Even a 1995 Stargate? How about the newer Sterns, I have a MET Pro with the wooden backbox...

Not planning on eating it anytime soon, haha.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from cp1610:

The only worry and it wouldn't be much if you check each game you bring it in for loose paint/flaking paint. Which can fall of on floor or be picked up by small hands /pets off floor. Other then that no issue unless you become a termite and eat pinball cabinets. The only worry i have in pinball is paying to much and looking at wiring for and potential fire hazards don't need a house fire caused by my buying another project game.

Yea, I always unplugged the older pins I had when not in use. I suppose the only one I worried about a fire was Space Invaders, mine had seen better days.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Leaded paint was banned in 1978...so bon appétit.

It's probably in the Stargate paint. I wouldn't doubt if Stern still uses lead based paint in the black paint on the cabinets, but I could be wrong on that. It is considered commercial equipment so it's not banned. Anyone ever actually do a lead test on a Stargate or other Gottlieb/Williams/Bally titles from the 90s? How about newer Sterns?

#26 1 year ago

I wonder if the siding on my house has lead? It was built in 1992, it has Steel siding, it is a light color, light tan.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

When do you guys think the pinball manufacturers realistically stopped using lead based paints on the cabinets? 1979? 1980? Other?

That's what I'm curious about. When some collectors have a room full of EM's and other pins from the 80s and 90s do they all have lead paint?

#43 1 year ago

I fished a lot growing up. I always bit down on the lead stinkers to fasten them to the line. I wonder how much lead I got into my body.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 249.00
Machine - For Sale
Exton, PA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 42.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside