Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by pacmanretro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

69BA37F8-65CD-402B-A453-AF5E247055AC.gif
EB6473B1-797D-4E82-846F-8895D1FA660F (resized).png
81321092-C076-40AC-80A8-91C2A9C085DC (resized).jpeg
1F867585-36F3-4D46-AB37-FE2B7CD4222E (resized).jpeg
CC1A4DEF-1B7D-4DAA-AE4D-4B957E1797A3 (resized).jpeg
leaded-gasoline-pump-photo (resized).jpg
A6962368-E578-42F1-B68D-E8F233E20BC2 (resized).jpeg
EE203EB0-6601-416C-8F29-2EDA5790F309 (resized).jpeg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I had not really thought about this until a few days ago. Is lead paint something to worry about with pinball machines? I'm not talking about restoring them, I feel like that's a no-brainer, if you are sanding any pin you should do it outside with a mask, take all precautions. I'm just wondering about buying anything older and putting it in your house. I know it was banned for home use in 1978, but not for commercial products. I only have a MET Pro in my collection, so I'm not too concerned right now, but thinking about getting a Stargate again someday since I enjoyed it and was wondering if Gottlieb used lead based paints. Any thoughts on this?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm just wondering about buying anything older and putting it in your house.

Hasn't killed me yet!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hasn't killed me yet!

Ok, let me clarify - in terms of having kids in your house. I'm more curious at this point than worried, but who knows?

#4 1 year ago

Ok, let me clarify - in terms of having kids in your house. I'm more curious at this point than worried, but who knows?

We could worry about a lot of things for sure, but if you have an older house, chances are the walls have a few layers of lead paint already. Oh, and the asbestos that's under the flooring and in the attic wrapping the ducts. Heck, we grew up in these houses and went to leaded schools too.

All that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it with pinball machines unless your kids chew on them.

#5 1 year ago

Prior to 1975 all gasoline was leaded too. Imagine what that was like with those big belch fire V-8s with no emission controls blowing that stuff into the air.

The only reason they got rid of it is it would kill catalytic converters which were new at the time.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Prior to 1975 all gasoline was leaded too. Imagine what that was like with those big belch fire V-8s with no emission controls blowing that stuff into the air.
The only reason they got rid of it is it would kill catalytic converters which were new at the time.

Very true!

#7 1 year ago

I used to love the smell of that stuff though. They don't make petrol like they used to!

#8 1 year ago

It's not dangerous unless you start eating it or breathe it in after you sand down a cabinet.

was wondering if Gottlieb used lead based paints

Yep, everybody did.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not dangerous unless you start eating it or breathe it in after you sand down a cabinet.

Yep, everybody did.

Even a 1995 Stargate? How about the newer Sterns, I have a MET Pro with the wooden backbox...

Not planning on eating it anytime soon, haha.

#10 1 year ago

The only worry and it wouldn't be much if you check each game you bring in for loose paint/flaking paint. Which can fall of on floor or be picked up by small hands /pets off floor. Other then that no issue unless you become a termite and eat pinball cabinets. The only worry i have in pinball is paying to much and looking at wiring for and potential fire hazards don't need a house fire caused by my buying another project game.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from cp1610:

The only worry and it wouldn't be much if you check each game you bring it in for loose paint/flaking paint. Which can fall of on floor or be picked up by small hands /pets off floor. Other then that no issue unless you become a termite and eat pinball cabinets. The only worry i have in pinball is paying to much and looking at wiring for and potential fire hazards don't need a house fire caused by my buying another project game.

Yea, I always unplugged the older pins I had when not in use. I suppose the only one I worried about a fire was Space Invaders, mine had seen better days.

#12 1 year ago

Think about lead paint in your home.

You don't worry about it on the walls where it has been for 100 years undisturbed.

You only worry about it where it can make dust. Door rubbing against jam - worry. Window sliding against sash - worry.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Think about lead paint in your home.
You don't worry about it on the walls where it has been for 100 years undisturbed.
You only worry about it where it can make dust. Door rubbing against jam - worry. Window sliding against sash - worry.

Yeah but if you renovate your house usually you have to have abatement teams in for lead paint. I don't think the test strips are ridiculously expensive so they're probably a good idea for anyone who's going to be sanding, removing paint, or has a kid who likes to lick pinball machines. (Only kind of joking about that last one. Kids can be weird.)

#14 1 year ago

If your kids enjoy knawing on toys with cadmium and lead paint from China then I'd worry. But then again China pretty much owns the USA (debt wise) if you will and they love us

#15 1 year ago

If people would stop letting their kids chew on walls that are painted and putting their heads in 5 gallon buckets, and put cribs next to windows with shades that have cords on them....we wouldn't have all these stupid regulations.

Just my opinion

#16 1 year ago

Even a 1995 Stargate? How about the newer Sterns, I have a MET Pro with the wooden backbox...
Not planning on eating it anytime soon, haha.

Leaded paint was banned in 1978...so bon appétit.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

For home use.

It's still used today for industrial and kids toys.

#18 1 year ago

Lead paint is great, flows so much better than latex crap. Plus it tastes more better too!
EE203EB0-6601-416C-8F29-2EDA5790F309 (resized).jpeg

A6962368-E578-42F1-B68D-E8F233E20BC2 (resized).jpeg
#19 1 year ago

So if my machine is HUO, then I'm OK right?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's probably in the Stargate paint. I wouldn't doubt if Stern still uses lead based paint in the black paint on the cabinets, but I could be wrong on that. It is considered commercial equipment so it's not banned. Anyone ever actually do a lead test on a Stargate or other Gottlieb/Williams/Bally titles from the 90s? How about newer Sterns?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Roadmarks:

Yeah but if you renovate your house usually you have to have abatement teams in for lead paint.

The lead abatement team does not take the lead off the walls.

I live in a house that was built in 1919, so of course everything is painted in lead.

When I remodeled, the lead abatement team took all the oak window trim, oak doors and their casements off, and took them to the "Dip & Strip" to have all the lead paint chemically removed.

All the trim was stained and returned to it's proper place.

They blew in insulation into all the outside walls and the bathroom walls (for sound insulation). The walls themselves (and the lead paint) stayed in place.

As long as the lead paint is not flaky, or being worn into dust by friction, it is safe to just leave it alone.

#23 1 year ago

Lead may be bad, but can't be as bad as chasing and running in the fog of the mosquito truck when i was a kid. Who knew if that shit was toxic back then, i believe it gave me brain damage.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Lead may be bad, but can't be as bad as chasing and running in the fog of the mosquito truck when i was a kid. Who knew if that shit was toxic back then, i believe it gave me brain damage.

They stunk as well.

#25 1 year ago

We held our breath when we rode our bikes through the skeeter fog back in the day, so we are ok, right?

#26 1 year ago

I wonder if the siding on my house has lead? It was built in 1992, it has Steel siding, it is a light color, light tan.

#27 1 year ago

When do you guys think the pinball manufacturers realistically stopped using lead based paints on the cabinets? 1979? 1980? Other?

#28 1 year ago
leaded-gasoline-pump-photo (resized).jpg
#29 1 year ago

That Supreme gas pump must be worth $20, 000 nowadays.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

When do you guys think the pinball manufacturers realistically stopped using lead based paints on the cabinets? 1979? 1980? Other?

That's what I'm curious about. When some collectors have a room full of EM's and other pins from the 80s and 90s do they all have lead paint?

#31 1 year ago

That's what I'm curious about. When some collectors have a room full of EM's and other pins from the 80s and 90s do they all have lead paint?

Some 90s games still had lead in the paint.

It's random because you don't know if your cab came from CCC or ESC or......

BUT as long as you don't sand them or eat them, the lead they contain will not harm you.

#32 1 year ago

Far more exposure doing board work.

CC1A4DEF-1B7D-4DAA-AE4D-4B957E1797A3 (resized).jpeg
#33 1 year ago

There are chemicals in a fast food burger that are worse for you than lead in paint.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

There are chemicals in a fast food burger that are worse for you than lead in paint.

Again....only if you eat it.

#35 1 year ago

O-din.....I like the new Avatar

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Far more exposure doing board work.

Lead does not turn into a vapor until it reaches 3000*F, so I don't think anyone has a solder iron that gets hot enough to breathe it.

As long as you wear gloves, you will be fine.

#37 1 year ago

Don't forget the lead in solder.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't forget the lead in solder.

The lead doesn't vaporize. It's the flux.

#39 1 year ago

I had my 1920 house sandblasted and shoveled the residuals into 55 gallon barrels. When sanding a cabinet you may suspect contains lead paint always use Wet Sandpaper/wet rags.
If you can clean exterior of cabinet with Coleman Fuel, let dry (30 seconds) and clear coat with your favorite matte spray bomb.
This will seal in the powdery effluent exhibited in a dry vintage paint that a child could ingest.To be honest with my new Granddaughter (6 Months) I like a room free of vintage electronics, electrical hazards, circumspect electrical devices, you get the picture.
Lead paint is the last of my worries.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The lead doesn't vaporize. It's the flux.

Don't disagree - but it's there. More sarcasm than anything else. Apparently everything kills us now-a-days.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Apparently everything kills us now-a-days.

Internet killed the pinball star...

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from chad:

They stunk as well.

I thought those mosquito vapors smelled good

It was the thrill of the chase, though.

#43 12 months ago

I fished a lot growing up. I always bit down on the lead stinkers to fasten them to the line. I wonder how much lead I got into my body.

#45 12 months ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I believe it gave you brain damage too.

#46 12 months ago

I knew a kid who chewed all his pencils and ate Elmer’s glue in grade school. Wonder how he’s doing these days....

1F867585-36F3-4D46-AB37-FE2B7CD4222E (resized).jpeg69BA37F8-65CD-402B-A453-AF5E247055AC.gif81321092-C076-40AC-80A8-91C2A9C085DC (resized).jpeg
#47 12 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I believe it gave you brain damage too.

Who cares what you think! Go to hell.

#48 12 months ago
Quoted from pinbum:

LOL

#49 12 months ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Haha. I was just messin. I don’t really think you have brain damage. Ogeist on the other hand....

#50 12 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Haha. I was just messin. I don’t really think you have brain damage. Ogeist on the other hand....

Anyone that would live in California has brain damage

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside