• 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soonerbrink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I do not know if this is the correct section, so please move the topic if necessary.

Question: Could you get lead exposure through the air by activating the flippers from a lifted playfield.

My thought: Perhaps there is lead in the dust associated with the coils and the flipper action releases it into the air?

Reason for concern: My daughter went to the doctor and had a high level of lead in her blood. One of the ways lead can enter the system is by breathing in dusty that contains led. Just trying to figure out what could be causing this and eliminate any possibilities.

The backstory:
The pin has been in our home (house built in 2005) for about 6 months. It was in our garage about a year and half before that. Over the past 6 months, it has been worked on about 2 nights a month and I have repopulated the entire playfield and the flippers. There has been no soldering inside the house during these 6 months. (There was one time I soldered a few wires on a part in the garage after the kids were in bed for the night). The pin is really close to being completed and I was doing some final tests to see if everything was working properly. I was testing out the flippers (had not tested them since I rebuilt them) and I was doing this while my 4 year old daughter was awake (if I would have waited until she was asleep, she probably would have woke up from the noise). We were both standing next to the game while the playfield was elevated and the flippers we tested for about 30 seconds. This was a single event, but my daughter went to the doctor the next day for her 4-year checkup and we were informed about the results. My other daughter had no levels of lead in her system when he she was checked the previous month during her 1-year checkup. I know to some it might sound like a ridiculous inquiry, but I am simply concerned with the health and safety of my kids. We are being extra observant, and will be having another test again soon to monitor any changes.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

The game is 1997 Starship Troopers.
House was built in 2005 (pex water lines).
No old toys, but I will check the link provided for newer toys.
No antiques really. We have an older wooden buffet that isn't painted and it is a room the kids are never in. I also have an old pachinko she will walk by and push the handle down once every week or so.
We are checking with the Mother's Day Out Program she goes to twice a week to see if any other parent have reported concerns as well.
I am going to get tested to check my own levels, and my daughter will be retested as well.
We are the over analyzing, 'hovering' parents... so just really surprised and concerned.
And definitely want to make sure I have all the information before making any uninformed decisions on hastily getting rid of a pin!

#42 7 years ago

I had my blood test done yesterday and I should be getting the results anytime. We are going to have my daughter retested. I'll update with the results.

#47 7 years ago

I ended up doing a test for heavy metals, and all results came back normal. We had my daughter tested again and it came back normal. From my research, it seems the lead typically stays in the blood for a month (the recommended retest was 2 months, and we retested about a week and a half later). Most likely something was wrong with first the test. We plan on checking again in 3 months when we are at the doctor for the other daughter's checkup.

While there is some 'not very nice' behavior that stands out on this site occasionally, this topic has once again confirmed to me there are extremely caring and concerned people in this community. The numerous messages in this topic, as well as the phone call I received were very helpful in this concerning time. Thanks again for all of the suggestions, thoughts, concerns, and interest in the safety of my family. It was very much appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soonerbrink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lead-exposure-question?tu=soonerbrink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.