• 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

I've worked in lead abatement for a long time my parents owned one of the largest sandblasting and painting companies on the east coast Brickwood Contractors an repaired water tanks and bridges working alongside OSHA. In 1978 lead was taken out of paint nationally, if you feel like you may have lead based paint first get a test kit. Any irritation of flaking or falling paint can certainly atomize it, thankfully you have protective glass there. However if it's flaking from your pf then I would say the condition of the cab is no better. Paint dries out slower or faster depending on how the object is stored, once the encapsulation is broken your at risk.

#12 7 years ago

Lead is not good for any human body, but in order for you to be affected by it after 24 years of age you would have to ingest it or absorb it threw your skin or lungs in a large quantity or over a long period of time. However if your a youth it can be extremely harmful to a growing body causing permanent brain damage and other serious side affects. I'm glad you brought this up, lead was mainly used in brighter color pigmented paints. If your restoring a cabinet or pf you should test all the colors most companies got rid of it in the early 70's. If you find that you have lead based paint you need to responsibly restore the cabinet by collecting all the material in a controlled confined space vented by a hepa lead filter. Protecting yourself is equally important using disposable hazmats suits w/hood, rubber gloves duct tapped to the wrists of the suit and a good respirator. The material must be collected and disposed properly with your local landfill, otherwise you risk hefty fines and endangering yourself and family for the years to come.

#14 7 years ago

Additionally soldiering is one of the worst ways to get led into your lungs, even tho you might be using led-free silver solder which is a must, it's hard to speculate if the company that built the boards or the line tecs actually used silver solder or led solder. You can use a hepa led respirator for long periods of repairs in a well ventilated ares like your garage or shed.

"Lead-free solders have been increasing in use due to regulatory requirements plus the health and environmental benefits of avoiding lead-based electronic components. They are almost exclusively used today in consumer electronics" - Wikipedia

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

That is not true regarding lead from soldering getting lead into your lungs.
Soldering does not get lead to the boiling point which is the temperature needed to vaporize lead from solder. The issues with soldering are the fumes caused by the chemicals found within the flux, not the content of the solder itself.

Ok this is off of OSHA's website regarding soldiering... "Soldier when heated, lead oxide fumes are formed. Excessive exposure to lead oxide fumes can result in lead poisoning" You have no idea what your talking about.

Ignoring the grammar police...

#29 7 years ago

The pig headiness in the air is sickening. Were trying to help this poor man with his sick daughter not continuously patting ourselves on the back crispos!

#30 7 years ago

Since my last post was moderated for bashing the grammar police there which this is really a personal attack from said dork from a previous post. I will re-upload the pic of me in my truck parked under a water tank we sandblasted and painted as one of the many lead abatement contracts I worked in back in my 20's, and I'm sure I could find a bunch more pics.

Today boys & girls were all going to learn how to research and read before we just spout bs to someone in need!

"Lead-free solders have been increasing in use due to regulatory requirements plus the health and environmental benefits of avoiding lead-based electronic components. They are almost exclusively used today in consumer electronics" - Wikipedia

"Flux is a reducing agent designed to help reduce (return oxidized metals to their metallic state) metal oxides at the points of contact to improve the electrical connection and mechanical strength. The two principal types of flux are acid flux (sometimes called "active flux"), used for metal mending and plumbing, and rosin flux (sometimes called "passive flux"), used in electronics, where the corrosiveness of the vapors released when acid flux is heated would risk damaging delicate circuitry.

Due to concerns over atmospheric pollution and hazardous waste disposal, the electronics industry has been gradually shifting from rosin flux to water-soluble flux, which can be removed with deionized water and detergent, instead of hydrocarbon solvents.

In contrast to using traditional bars or coiled wires of all-metal solder and manually applying flux to the parts being joined, much hand soldering since the mid-20th century has used flux-core solder. This is manufactured as a coiled wire of solder, with one or more continuous bodies of non-acid flux embedded lengthwise inside it. As the solder melts onto the joint, it frees the flux and releases that on it as well." - Wikipedia

#31 7 years ago

You want my overall advice to you it cant possibly the pin if it's a 1997, test the flaking paint just in case they may have cheeped out or something. I didn't see you response there I assumed this was a EM or something, go on immediate lockdown identifying and testing anything in you house that might meet the criteria of having lead or made prior to '78, certainly test that crappy China made pachinko. Test your water especially if you have a well just because the plumbing is new the house may have been built on an old site with an old well. Doing this will help narrow your difficultly searching for what is actually giving your daughter lead poisoning. There are many cases after 1978 with toys coming from Hong Kong and China containing lead material either in the paint or chrome surfaces. Remember the Voltron scandal of the 80's! And more recently the Thomas the train recall on the first wave!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lead-exposure-question?tu=gmkalos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.