Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    leaded-premium.jpeg
    zinc-it!.jpeg
    Save-us.jpeg
    lead-poisoning_~Lead.jpg
    lead.jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Hey guys, was playing around with an old, not-in-the-best-shape EM machine, and it occurred to me that, considering when these were made, there may be a fair amount of lead in them that a homeowner or technician may be exposed to. Does anybody know if this is the case? And, if so, what years' machines?

#2 9 years ago

other than solder (follow proper ventilation techniques when soldering/desoldering), i've never seen anyone even discuss this...

i'd be far more concerned about rusty metal, various molds, etc. than lead...

#3 9 years ago

Back then even gasoline had lead in it. As well as paint. Hasn't killed me yet...

#4 9 years ago

Are you licking it?

#5 9 years ago

I'd be mostly concerned about sanding, the paint is almost definitely a source of lead.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

Are you licking it?

Actually laughed out loud at work.

#7 9 years ago

All i Have heard about is the paint...but wonder about the lead content in some of the metal brackets for coils, stepper units, etc.

-scott

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from drscottsmith:

All i Have heard about is the paint...but wonder about the lead content in some of the metal brackets for coils, stepper units, etc.
    -scott

Lead is a soft metal. I doubt there's much of that in brackets that need to be fairly stiff.

#9 9 years ago

According to Vid, cabinets were painted with lead-based paint even through the DMD era, if I remember correctly.

#10 9 years ago

Yep. I think I did a little in-house sanding before I read that.
    Oh well my family will be ahead of the curve when they decide that lead is good for you, after all.

#11 9 years ago

lead.jpeglead.jpeg

lead-poisoning_~Lead.jpglead-poisoning_~Lead.jpg

Save-us.jpegSave-us.jpeg

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

lead-poisoning_~Lead.jpg

Yep, that second one looks just like my kid... Sitting in the lead dust and eating lead paint.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Yep, that second one looks just like my kid... Sitting in the lead dust and eating lead paint.

Just wait until he gets into the asbestos.

#14 9 years ago

Toughen 'im up good...

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

Are you licking it?

Only off my fingers!!

#16 9 years ago

Cleaning out my Mother in laws house once when the college nearby was having a chemical collection day. She wanted all the stuff in the garage that her husband had left her with cleaned out. He restored a lot of VWs and such.
    Well I came across a bunch of cans of "RED LEAD PRIMER" which was the only info printed on the label.

Two gallons never opened and still sounded very liquid. I wanted to save them for myself so bad as I knew he must have used for base of frame painting and likely all the wheel wells and rocker panel areas. I am still kicking myself for not keeping.

Yes the solder has lead and well wood cabinet paint?? Ssshhhhh!

What are trying to do give EPA another stream of cash.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Well I came across a bunch of cans of "RED LEAD PRIMER" which was the only info printed on the label.
    Two gallons never opened and still sounded very liquid. I wanted to save them for myself so bad as I knew he must have used for base of frame painting and likely all the wheel wells and rocker panel areas. I am still kicking myself for not keeping.

Same here when I was going through my moms garage a few years back and found a brown jar labeled
    DDT. You just can't get that stuff anywhere anymore.

#18 9 years ago

Never mind the Lead........I'm more concerned about Zinc Oxide in pinball machines, or lack of, especially after watching this educational video.

Ken

#19 9 years ago

zinc-it!.jpegzinc-it!.jpeg

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

According to Vid, cabinets were painted with lead-based paint even through the DMD era, if I remember correctly.

Lead was banned from paint in the US in 1978. So I'm not sure how in the world DMDs got paint with lead in it.

#21 9 years ago

Soldering would be the one thing I'd be concerned about in a pinball machine. Lead is fine if you don't disturb it by drilling, filing, or sanding, etc.. The other thing that is mentioned above is sanding the paint on a cabinet.

I soldered in my old job off and on for 30 years. If you do it safely you're fine. They actually stocked shaving cream in the supply room to apply to the lead before drilling or filing.

Use proper ventilation when soldering or sanding lead-based paint. Wash hands when done. Those are the main things to remember.

Remember, lead is safe as long as you minimize breathing in the fumes and wash your hands before eating after handling the lead.

You know those fisherman who sit next to a butchering kettle on the fire and heat up lead to make sinkers and weights for fishing? If they did that every day and breathed in those fumes that wouldn't be good.

#22 9 years ago

Enough to make you stupid if you ate it all!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Never mind the Lead........I'm more concerned about Zinc Oxide in pinball machines, or lack of, especially after watching this educational video.
    » YouTube video
    Very informational.
    Ken

Is that from "Kentucky Fried Movie"? I know I've seen this somewhere before.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Lead was banned from paint in the US in 1978. So I'm not sure how in the world DMDs got paint with lead in it.

In homes and commercial buildings. To my knowledge, lead continued to be used in paint for other things well into the 90's.

#25 9 years ago

Lead can't be any more dangerous than the mercury they stuff into peoples teeth.

#26 9 years ago

Maybe all those people that "contained" the lead on some of the EMs I`ve seen with contact paper were really geniuses.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Is that from "Kentucky Fried Movie"?

That was a funny show! Remember The Groove Tube?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Is that from "Kentucky Fried Movie"? I know I've seen this somewhere before.

Yep!

Ken

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That was a funny show! Remember The Groove Tube?
    » YouTube video

Thanks Brian! Just as I was about to eat my dinner! I think I will cancel the chili I was about to make and find something else to eat.

#30 9 years ago

My favorite scene from Kentucky Fried Movie is the last skit in the courtroom when this happens....

#31 9 years ago

Fish Tacos!

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

My favorite scene from Kentucky Fried Movie is the last skit in the courtroom when this happens....
    » YouTube video

I don't remember that scene at all. Maybe it was "Groove Tube"?

#33 9 years ago

There was also the movie "Tunnelvision". Pretty darn funny too.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

This-> "paint containing more than 0.06% (by weight of dried product) lead was banned for residential use in the United States in 1978 by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 Code of Federal Regulations CFR 1303)."

Notice the residential use.

#35 9 years ago

Ok, hand over all your EM's now, so y'all don't get lead poisoning! I've grown up with lots of lead around, used to crimp down lead sinkers for fishing with my teeth. Probably had a ton of exposure to asbestos as well. No health problems.

Tim

#36 9 years ago

Steve Kordek lived to be a 100. How much lead do you think he breathed in while working at Genco?

Don't worry. Be happy.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

lead was banned in residents application in 1978, commercial application is much later.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't remember that scene at all. Maybe it was "Groove Tube"?

It is the courtroom skit with Jerry Matthers and Tony Dow reviving their characters from "Leave it to Beaver" Go back and watch the movie you will find the skit at the very end of the movie. It should be on Netflix, if not then check Hulu Plus. You can most likely even find the whole film streaming on youtube.

#39 9 years ago

Don't take chances, Let me dispose of the deadly EMs for you.

#40 9 years ago

leaded-premium.jpegleaded-premium.jpeg

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

leaded-premium.jpeg

So, we also no problems with pizza places cleaning their pizza ovens with leaded gasoline. Unless the oven was to hot then the Police and Fire Dept. would show up.

#42 9 years ago

They knew how to make lead free petrol ( Gasoline) years before it was available to the public. Your friendly gas company wouldn't sell it because the patent on ADDING lead hadn't run out. Id be more scared of the big companies around you than the additives.
    Anyway, lead free solder sucks big time.. its crap. Thankfully, in Australia we can still buy lead solder by the bucket load because we haven't gone too "touchy feely" yet.
    BTW - those LEDs have Arsenic in them and a whole host of other cancer causing additives ( its how they make the fluorescent powders in them stable) and my promised 50,000hrs of usage seemed to get condensed to 6 months...
    Off to landfill they go!

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

leaded-premium.jpeg

the good stuff!!!

#44 9 years ago

I wish I could still buy leaded gas. My old Galaxies soft valve seats prefer it.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I wish I could still buy leaded gas. My old Galaxies soft valve seats prefer it.

Check out Race Gas

#46 9 years ago

Race gas is just higher octane isn't it? I don't believe it has any lead as modern cars all have hardened valve seats now.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Race gas is just higher octane isn't it? I don't believe it has any lead as modern cars all have hardened valve seats now.

I think Sunoco has the addative to put the lead back in.
    Tetraethyl Lead (also known as TEL). TEL is a liquid mixture which makes it more easily stored and injected

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Hey, thought that was the wife's car? That Galaxie was nice. I used to put an additive in my '66 Mustang's gas, forgot what it was.

#49 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I do buy lead additive on occasion. I don't think there are any Sunoco stations locally but if I see one I will check it out.

Sooner or later I'll just need to bit the bullet and update my heads. It's currently getting a new convertible top. I have to give it a little love here and there when I can.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Hey, thought that was the wife's car? That Galaxie was nice. I used to put an additive in my '66 Mustang's gas, forgot what it was.

Yeah, it is technically. She let's me drive it but I don't mind being chauffeured.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lead-content-in-em-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.