Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Funko Deadpool.jpg
    blogger-image--1241857294 (resized).jpg
    20180907_182012 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    macca1-418311 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0055 (resized).JPG
    THOSE (resized).jpg
    the campaign (resized).png
    EC831C03-0F6B-4672-AC8D-45265C4D975A (resized).jpeg
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago

I’m pretty sure that in most cases there are less premium games then LE games. Just because you pay more and it has a LE title doesn’t ensure that it is the most rare game. It’s just a marketing ploy to get people to jump onto the newest game.

#102 5 years ago

I am not sure what the end is on cost and to predict it is not an easy task.

I was talking to a customer at one of our locations while I had my girls out to play some pinball. He was thanking me for the collection of games, very new to the current pinball market but had a game at his home. He was interested in buying a machine so I referred him to my distributor for each of the games specifically. He then noticed LE on some of the games, he asked if that was the best.

I said it's all a matter of opinion, some say so, some feel it's a waste etc.

He then made me almost fall on the floor in shock in laughter.

He says, if you go for the LE, is that like a few hundred more than the base model?

I said, well no, it's probably about 3k+ more.

He responded, well if a new machine costs 3k then that is double the cost...

I didn't know how to respond but did let him know that machines have never in my lifetime been 3k.

He had a friend that bought a home version on closeout from Amazon and he thought they were all the same.

Moral is, I still run into people that love pinball that are shocked at the price of a game. It's new blood in the hobby, but how much can they actually increase NIB sales directly is in question.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m pretty sure that in most cases there are less premium games then LE games. Just because you pay more and it has a LE title doesn’t ensure that it is the most rare game. It’s just a marketing ploy to get people to jump onto the newest game.

yeah, if you want rare, then the premium or even some cases the PRO will be the most rare in actual number

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Moral is, I still run into people that love pinball that are shocked at the price of a game. It's new blood in the hobby, but how much can they actually increase NIB sales directly is in question.

From what I have seen very little. Entry point down here in Australia for a base level Stern Pro is $8500 with an LE giving you just enough change from $13000 for a cup of coffee. Most new buyers take one look at those price points and then go hunting on classifieds sites for alternatives below those prices which is where they end up making contact with yours truly.

As an importer and reseller of used machines to primarily "new blood" I can say that gives me a lot of leeway on pricing with only restored A list B/W titles within the price ranges mentioned above and most first time buyers aren't looking to jump in at that level anyway.

Hard core gotta have it no matter what long term collectors are what is pushing NIB pricing to ever inflating levels so you guys that make those new releases sellout in 72 hours only have yourselves to blame for NIB prices that keep going up.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, if you want rare, then the premium or even some cases the PRO will be the most rare in actual number

So a premium game with all of the same options and mods as an LE, would be a better buy? Usually game play between premium and LE are similar if not exactly the same. If the LE option just has armor rails, shaker, art blades ect.; then it would be simple to make a comparable machine.

With games that have mirrored backglass, I could see that as a bonus over the premium. Also the art package may be nicer on an LE, but all and all, in most cases, I don’t think the LE is a deal.

With gimmick items like a vinyl record, I wonder how many will be resold with the game on the used marked. Making that item worthless to the used buyer. Eg. How much less is a LE worth without the gimmicks?

#106 5 years ago

The LE saga continues, the hype train starts rolling into the station and everyone wants to hop on. Is Stern screwing people-no. If someone wants to take the risk and has the money and the theme attracts them, then why not? Life is short, enjoy it while you can. If you are interested in an upcoming LE, get your name on interested list. Then when game is announced you pull the trigger, then you have until the game reveal to change your mind. Once game is revealed and you decide not to move forward, then usually the distributor has a list of others to take your spot with no issues taking over payment.

Question you need to ask yourself is..."Is the LE/Premium better than the pro when it comes to how the game plays?" The great Centerflank once said "Pro's are for poor people." I chuckled at that, but the truth is far from that and a games function is more important than the way it looks. Sometimes less is more and the Pro simply plays better. In my opinion the Pro model plays better than some Premium/LE models like AC/DC, Metallica, GOTG, GOT, Walking Dead, and the list go's on. My point is the LE is not always better.

Don't jump on the hype train and you will not have any issues getting "ripped off"

#107 5 years ago

People like what they can't have. Limited Edition models should be just that. If you want any LE to be more valuable then the manufacturer needs to offer certain options that you cannot replicate on the other trim levels. Things like Custom Art package, Foil cabinets, Mirrored Backglass, unique topper, enhanced shot layout and code with additional modes. These are all things that would make special/limited editions worth the extra money. In the past All manufacturers have cheeped out on certain titles.

The following things can be easily added for alot less money making a special/limited edition a poor financial Choice. Invisiglass, Powder coat, shaker, playfield nonfunctional toys, side art blades, speaker lights and the worst of them all a signed certificate of who gives a shit.

Bottom line is Buy what you can afford and what style art you like the best for that game. Stop buying games for resale value. Purchase the game as if you were going to play and enjoy it. I know crazy concept.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hate the idea of Stern getting distros to lock in LEs with non refundable deposits.
    I get it’s to shake out flippers like Kaneda who try and reserve 3 Munsters at different distros BUT
    The guy has ONE pin and will never buy another one other than to flip. That creates false demand and drives up prices
    A great loyal customer should NOT have to put down a F ing LE deposit. Use it for first timers and known flippers like Kaneda

It’s highly unlikely Stern would/is doing this because of someone flipping a pin. Let alone someone with the buying capacity of less than 1% of the total product available. Economically speaking, most brands welcome flippers and it would take much more than 3 pins purchased to cause a shift in demand or pricing.

It’s more likely they’re doing this to guarantee they hit a certain revenue point with their product regardless of popularity.

#109 5 years ago

Everyone complaining about the near constant increases in new pin prices needs to realize that it is a necessary evil to sustain the current pinball market "bubble".

A major contributing factor to the recent increase in pinball popularity and availability on location (at least in some areas) arises out of the fact that you can generally sell a decent condition used game for nearly what you paid for it. And *that* is because the new games keep getting ever slightly more expensive, raising the market price for virtually all games at the same time.

This is a fortuitous circle in that more people buy games for their homes as well with the expectation that they can sell it later for basically what they paid for it.

If new games stopped increasing in price, or heaven forbid suddenly became less expensive the whole thing would collapse. Not many bars or people are going to be able to buy a new pinball machine for $5K+ if they can expect to eat 1/2 or more of that cost when they go to sell it later. The location games barely pay for themselves over years at these prices, there's no profit in operating them directly and if the resale market collapses it's game over man, game over.

So you should all cheer when your next NIB purchase is 5-10% more than the last, your whole collection just increased in value...

#110 5 years ago

Wait until the stock market and real estate bubble bursts again. It is 2x worse than it was in 2008. Pin prices will come down also along with other “collector” items.

This false economy we have has made unreality the new norm. I watched 1973-1979 Trans Ams bring anywhere from $100-240k each at our local collector car auction this week. 5 years ago these cars were $40k. Things are stupid again.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

But I’ve never bought a shit pin I’ve regretted. Just the opposite
    100% correct, nobody holding a gun to my head. That’s why I would buy from a Distro that isn’t holding the non refundable gun to my head
    As for wise, dumbass, stupid, whatever, I would argue buying pinball machines for $9k plus is more of the latter and I def resemble that remark

if you never regretted any of the purchases, I guess you are not being ripped off then.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you never regretted any of the purchases, I guess you are not being ripped off then.

Amen Neo, and that's 100% truth.

A couple of more points before i head downstairs to start a LONG day football drafting, drinking and FUN!

1) Let's not forget that the Distro's and Stern have colluded now to set minimum pricing on all pins. That's a fact. So your old favorite Distro is now not allowed to offer anything extra unless they do it under the table. Why is that? What we get today are "non refundable deposits".

2) How about some kind of F ing CUSTOMER LOYALTY program from both Stern and the Distros! Like every other industry on earth?

I don't care if its nothing more than a Gary Stern signed jock strap upon your 3 purchase of a Nib pin or some shit.

3) Put your CUSTOMER FIRST! Try doing more for less instead of giving us less for more. You can rearrange the chairs on the deck anyway you want but its still looking like the Titanic when you conduct business that way.

4) I GUARANTEE anybody and everybody that you will be able to get an LE of the Munsters if you want one and exercise a little patience. When they raise the price AGAIN, hopefully everyone takes a deep breath.

We need to end this acting like a pack of crazed dogs waiting to bust down the doors to a Wal Mart on Black friday. You've seen those people tackling each other trying to pick up the last $200 TV

5) You don't have to make 500 LE's and try and guess the freaking demand of a title! And then have Distros get screwed and try and jam those down our throats by creating all this FALSE DEMAND!

Say your are going to make UP TO 500 LE's and then sell whatever you can, problem solved.

Ok, off to get banged up. The above is NOT drunk posting, see, there really is no difference!

Btw, Falcons tonight to beat Eagles +1

#113 5 years ago

This thread sucks

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

People like what they can't have.

Some people don't want what they don't like.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Let's not forget that the Distro's and Stern have colluded now to set minimum pricing on all pins.

No, lets forget that immediately, because it's shit you made up. Stern set that up, it wasn't "collusion" with the distros.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

When they raise the price AGAIN, hopefully everyone takes a deep breath.

Pinsiders will take a deep breath, and then open their wallets even wider.

Just a few years ago, I bought a new TRON LE for $5300

Now new LE prices have almost doubled (or in the case of BM66, tripled )

TRON at least had a real silkscreened cab, not cheap decals....

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinsiders will take a deep breath, and then open their wallets even wider.
    Just a few years ago, I bought a new TRON LE for $5300
    Now LE prices have almost doubled (or in the case of BM66, tripled )
    TRON at least had a real silkscreened cab, not cheap decals....

Uh yea, because Tron LE is the best game ever made.

The only thing keeping it from being a $20k title is the threat of a vault edition.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

1) Let's not forget that the Distro's and Stern have colluded now to set minimum pricing on all pins.

Collusion is not a crime...

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How about some kind of F ing CUSTOMER LOYALTY program from both Stern and the Distros! Like every other industry on earth?

Just joined Speedways and am one fountain drink away from a free one. Can't wait. I used to get NIB discounts for being a return customer however I stopped buying NIB after X-men so am not sure if the distributor still does it. I would have to think people buying every title and multiple at a time are still getting deals.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Plus having a LE increases your Pinside status as you become a member of the big dick club which is priceless.

Dang I have 4 LE's I'm going to tell my wife the great news

I'm Back, she said you lied To be fair, I've bought them all second hand though minus TFLE. Maybe that feature wears off with the original owners.

#121 5 years ago

I don't feel sorry for anyone on any side here, lol. Distributors? I don't know of any Stern distributors that are having money problems... they seem to be doing very well with the product Stern is putting out. Buyers of LE's? Well shit, that's your choice for whatever reason over a Premium... some of which includes bragging rights.

So what's the problem again?

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Dang I have 4 LE's I'm going to tell my wife the great news

I'm Back, she said you lied To be fair, I've bought them all second hand though minus TFLE. Maybe that feature wears off with the original owners.

Man... Such a great post... You really had me laughing.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No, lets forget that immediately, because it's shit you made up. Stern set that up, it wasn't "collusion" with the distros.

Why would Stern care?

Certain Distros whined about other ones doing a better job of taking care of their customer. Fact

Hence, price controls. Thus, BS

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Everyone complaining about the near constant increases in new pin prices needs to realize that it is a necessary evil to sustain the current pinball market "bubble".
    A major contributing factor to the recent increase in pinball popularity and availability on location (at least in some areas) arises out of the fact that you can generally sell a decent condition used game for nearly what you paid for it. And *that* is because the new games keep getting ever slightly more expensive, raising the market price for virtually all games at the same time.
    This is a fortuitous circle in that more people buy games for their homes as well with the expectation that they can sell it later for basically what they paid for it.
    If new games stopped increasing in price, or heaven forbid suddenly became less expensive the whole thing would collapse. Not many bars or people are going to be able to buy a new pinball machine for $5K+ if they can expect to eat 1/2 or more of that cost when they go to sell it later. The location games barely pay for themselves over years at these prices, there's no profit in operating them directly and if the resale market collapses it's game over man, game over.
    So you should all cheer when your next NIB purchase is 5-10% more than the last, your whole collection just increased in value...

I agree. The ruse can only continue as long as the resale market holds up. (Of course, I've been saying that for 5 years.) I thought that remakes and vaults would kill pin prices. I was wrong. They've certainly dropped the prices a bit on those particular titles, but that's about it.

#125 5 years ago

A huge piece of this that no one talks about is the old pricing schemes were because it was expected you'd get money back on it. Home buying was not the primary thing. Now you have all these people paying insane retail for something that is intended to make money back and very few on site demand for what they are actually intended for. So you've got a 8-9k toy that you are footing the bill for, rather than deferring by having people pay to play it. THAT is the big difference in perspective that many people seem to forget.

I mean, it makes sense that some older games are going for a lot of money now, but used pricing has gotten out of control, but if someones willing to buy, what can you say? Some of the people here talk like pinballs are an investment. They aren't. You should expect them to depreciate in value. And you certainly shouldn't get mad when someone goes and makes a remake that lowers your perceived value. We just happen to be in a period where they've went up like crazy. Assuming all the new vendors keep pumping out new machines, then yes, prices are going to start dropping on the secondary market because the 'home buyers' market is going to dry up at some point. Since arcades are not what they once were, you aren't going to see prices drop on retail because they are selling less machines than back in the hey-day. Basically if you are a home use owner, sorry, but prices are what they are. You aren't going to convince the vendors to sell for less. While I don't really like the 3 tier model going now, it is at least nice that they offer a somewhat cheaper version at all.

#126 5 years ago

One of the most sought after titles when it comes to LE's In Australia is Tron. We only got 8 or 10 of them.. Half of those were put on sites

In the end who cares... If you're happy to spend the $ then do it.. If not then don't!

We pay $12,950 for Le's in Australia now.

A smoker will spend around 5 to 6k + per year here in OZ.
    Also add alcohol consumption and you'd be close to spending more than a pinball pretty quickly.

I prefer my $ go towards a pinball machine. An Le of course

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

From what I have seen very little. Entry point down here in Australia for a base level Stern Pro is $8500 with an LE giving you just enough change from $13000 for a cup of coffee. Most new buyers take one look at those price points and then go hunting on classifieds sites for alternatives below those prices which is where they end up making contact with yours truly.
    As an importer and reseller of used machines to primarily "new blood" I can say that gives me a lot of leeway on pricing with only restored A list B/W titles within the price ranges mentioned above and most first time buyers aren't looking to jump in at that level anyway.
    Hard core gotta have it no matter what long term collectors are what is pushing NIB pricing to ever inflating levels so you guys that make those new releases sellout in 72 hours only have yourselves to blame for NIB prices that keep going up.

$8500 AUD for a Pro model is about $6080 USD at current exchange rate. Now thats a bit higher than here, but not as bad as it sounds if you didn't know the exchange.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

$8500 AUD for a Pro model is about $6080 USD at current exchange rate. Now thats a bit higher than here, but not as bad as it sounds if you didn't know the exchange.

All that has happened is the U.S prices have caught up to the rest of the world. Welcome aboard

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

All that has happened is the U.S prices have caught up to the rest of the world. Welcome aboard

Wait till the next NZ pin distributors email. I predict new Pros will be over $10,000 bucks with the current crappy exchange rate.

rd

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Wait till the next NZ pin distributors email. I predict new Pros will be over $10,000 bucks with the current crappy exchange rate.
    rd

Yes, but this push's all NIB Pinballs up, have you had to raise your Disto prices RD?

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Yes, but this push's all NIB Pinballs up, have you had to raise your Disto prices RD?

I don’t make any money on the Spooky pins, so no. Public service.

But the customer will have to pay a little more direct to Spooky due to the exchange rate.

rd

#132 5 years ago

How do we know productions numbers of pinballs? Because factories release them, or because of serial numbers?

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Uh yea, because Tron LE is the best game ever made.
    The only thing keeping it from being a $20k title is the threat of a vault edition.

LEs used to have a [real] screened glass backglass, not a translite taped to the backside of a glass plate

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

LEs used to have a [real] screened glass backglass, not a translite taped to the backside of a glass plate

Most LEs still have a real backglass. They dropped it on SWLE but brought it back with IMDN LE. (But they are direct print now, not screened I believe).

Tron LE was an exception because it has a Lenticular 3D translite (glued to the glass). It looks fantastic when backlit with controlled LEDs though, so I’m good with it not having a real backglass.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"significantly" is a loaded word.
    How much do you stand to lose on your average LE game? $500? $1000 at the most?
    For most of the time I've been in pinball - before the rush of free-spending newbies - you'd lose that exact amount just by opening the box on ANY NIB game. It's only a recent phenomenon that buyers expect their NIB games to "hold their value," or even APPRECIATE.
    If you don't want to lose any of that "new car" money, stop buying new games. I don't think losing $500 on a year old GOTLE constitutes a "significant" loss, but at this point we are seeing the bizarre phenomenon of people taking natural depreciation personally, as if it's some kind of insult. My toaster is worth less than when I bought it new, why wouldn't the same be true for your pinball machine?

I’d say easily $1500 on XMLE probably others as well like Avengers and WWE.

I had immaculate XMLE listed twice and $5k or $4900 everyone was saying that’s a great price but no one was buying it. Finally traded for TWD pro was a money loss but a win for me with TWD punching above its cost.

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Some of the people here talk like pinballs are an investment.

Haven't heard anyone talk like this in three years or more. Only people talking about talking about it.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Haven't heard anyone talk like this in three years or more. Only people talking about talking about it.

Interesting. I haven't been here that long and it is glaringly obvious by many of the posts even if they don't come right out with it. (however, in going through posts, maybe some of what I'm reading is from 3-4 or more years ago)

#138 5 years ago

Well, I agree kinda. I saw a video of Steve Richie saying any time you take a ball and drop in on a play field they dimple. I didn't know what all the fuss was about until I stuck a Star Wars Pro out, an 5,000 balls later it looked like a golf ball course. It was heart breaking to see, I can't remember the time an old Williams game looked like that years on a route. However, the real truth is they used to soft of wood to save a buck and make money. However, my HUO units I don't see it as much. I love my LE's and I will keep buying them when I love the title and fun to play. I am not a guy to pay 8 plus K and then take a 2K loss. I'll just keep it and enjoy it. You can hate my LE's and most of the time, I like the art package of the premium's much more. When I buy a pin I am not looking to play it and flip it once a new title hits the market. LE's are getting out of hand prices wise, but so are premium's and pro's. I'll just love my LE's and move on.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

However, the real truth is they used to soft of wood to save a buck and make money.

Not true.

The cheapest hardwood in North America is Hard Maple AKA Sugar Maple.

That's why for the last 80 years playfields are made of it

That's why bowling alleys are made from it

That's why basketball courts are made from it

That's why guitar necks are made from it.

-

There are softer species of Maple available, but they are too expensive to use for playfields.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not true.

-
    There are softer species of Maple available, but they are too expensive to use for playfields.

Yes that why my NBA play fields look great and the Star Wars pro looks like Swiss cheese because no one tried to cheapen the game

#141 5 years ago

My piece of crap 1986 Bally Motordome is full of dimples, they are just more numerous and are starting to flatten out. But you can see them plain as day on the sheen of the aux lighting.

20180907_182012 (resized).jpg20180907_182012 (resized).jpg
    #142 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Yes that why my NBA play fields look great and the Star Wars pro looks like Swiss cheese because no one tried to cheapen the game

Like Steve Ritchie said, "You don't know what you are talking about"

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

No street price down here either due to the one distributor supply model.

MSRP is it.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not true.
    -

and this guy knows his Wood

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

last time I checked, and don't quote me on this because I didn't stay @ a holiday inn express last night, but basketballs, sneakers and fleshy players don't create/apply the same amount of force to the playfield as a steel pinball does when making contact

edit: lol. I just re-read the quoted post and for some reason I thought that he was comparing a pinball playfield to an actual NBA (basketball) playfield

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

However, the real truth is they used to soft of wood to save a buck and make money.

Has more to do with density. Would be curious to see how many plywood layers on NBA and how many on Star Trek. Probably a 10-11 layer v.s. 5-7 layer? I have noticed a huge difference in wear depending on the thickness and density of the substrate.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not true.
    -

I thought it was poplar or birch.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I thought it was poplar or birch.

Morning wood is the hardest.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Morning wood is the hardest.

You could really dimple a playfield that!

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from steigerpijp:

You could really dimple a playfield that!

Or a coin door.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/le-s-new-releases-and-ripping-people-off-wtf/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.