Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yoko2una
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago

JJP's integration so far has been wonderful. Stern's size is probably the most logical, but integration has a ways to go. I'm sick of Luke telling me he's here to save Leia, and I'm sick of the Jokers "oooo!" face. AS I think is ok with all original cartoon animations, but I still wish I was seeing more with Jacky.

Ironically today I was reading Steve Ritchie's old RGP post on the development and launch of Spiderman. I got a kick out of these thoughts.

"We are not using color LCD displays. They are too dim and expensive..."
    "...We try to bring you the max entertainment with the part
    you play: The Playfield. I cannot trade away a toy or device to make
    room for a new, expensive, dim display."

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The LCD screens look a million times better than the DMD’s and you guys are complaining......go figure. Is there ANYTHING that would make some of you guys happy? The animations on AS are F’ing awesome, and I think Batman and Star Wars is cool also, far far cooler than any DMD crap. Sheesh......

Agreed on the whole. The only potential downfall I see is lack of depth of LCD animations. Some DMD games have really good dots and when there's an animation it's kind of cool to watch the dots in motion as some sort of special effect. With LCD's it's just video, so when looking at a 3 second movie clip in full HD a hundred times in a single game, it's going to get old.

I think that puts the burden on the developers to either make the game so wildly wide (not necessarily deep) in code that no two plays are alike so you're always seeing different things, or perhaps just have multiple animations for the same thing, so it can shake things up a bit. Again, I'm sick of hearing Luke saying he's here to rescue, and I'm to the point where I'm checking my phone when Yoda comes up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoko2una.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lcd-screens-win-or-fail?tu=Yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.