6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by flipordie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you think about LCD screens instead of normal DMD ones?”

• I like LCD screens better then DMD screens. 42 votes
      65%
    • I like DMD screens better then LCD screens. 12 votes
      18%
    • I don't have a preference. 2 votes
      3%
    • I don't care as long as I can play pinball! 9 votes
      14%

(65 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone, I have something in my mind and I'm sure I'm not the only one:
    I really don't like the fact that almost every new game gets a big LCD screen instead of a normal DMD, it takes alot of the classic feel away for me. Also more animations take away the attention from the playfield and makes it look like a Virtual Pinball machine. What're your thoughts about this?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

I really don't like the fact that almost every new game gets a big LCD screen instead of a normal DMD, it takes alot of the classic feel away for me.

Well classic machines never had dmds in my opinion. I guess its like everything else nowadays, bling sells. I do agree that it should be more about the playfield as thats what you are actually playing. Fancy screens are more for the people watching.

#3 6 years ago

Personally, I feel DMD should have stayed up to the early 2000 (like 2004'ish) and 90's. I even like the orange DMD look but I love the color DMD as well but it's very nostalgic with orange. That being said LCD is clearly the next thing for pinball and the obvious evolution. When a $60 cell phone has an LCD screen but your new multi-thousand dollar toy does not, it's stupid. I didn't like JJP massive LCD screen for example initially. As a bystander though, it's so much fun to watch. You are part of the player experience as you watch the player. I actually prefer now a whole backbox LCD because the possibilities are endless for the designers and the experience as a whole. If your gonna go with LCD, you might as well not somewhat hide it or make it traditional looking. Don't make it vertical with giant black voids like Stern is doing, make pixel animations like Spooky has done, or in general hide the capabilities of what the LCD can do. I also don't really notice the smaller LCD screen like Heighway and Hobbit use and are unnecessary to me.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Also more animations take away the attention from the playfield and makes it look like a Virtual Pinball machine.

Fair points all around....and it's tough to imagine what will come because it's so new. DI already has a camera...we can't be too far away from having the camera tilt down at the PF and capture video & show gameplay on that big LCD. Might be kind of cool.

#5 6 years ago

Stern has done the best job with the LCD in my opinion. Still has almost full size translight and the screen is not really that much bigger than the dmd. I really like the overall look of the Stern LCD cabinet. Just wish the switch was still in the lower cabinet.

#6 6 years ago

Sterns looks good, but I like the jjp display better. While I still love and enjoy my dmd games just fine, I want LCD now. Can you imagine Ghostbusters with an LCD instead of that dmd? For me, it's all about the total immersive experience.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you all for your input and thoughts! Like with all other products that're being made, you can't stay behind on technology and innovation. LCD screens do open up new opportunities and yes I think the future will be there, not with DMD screens. Might be a case of getting used to on my side, will have to play those new machines more haha!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Ghostbusters with an LCD

Would be awesome

#9 6 years ago

I like the screen they put in AFMr SE and LE's, perfect size IMO

#10 6 years ago

I like the Idea of LCD but the execution isn't very good. Im not a fan of video clips from movies, I think DMD works well because the animations are built from scratch and the mesh well with the mode. As of late Aerosmith has been its best effort for original animations, But the usage of 3d animation and 2d animation doesn't mesh well.

In the end it doesnt matter if its DMD or LCD or holographic tech... If the experience isn't cohesive it doesn't matter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lcd-screens-in-new-machines?hl=flipordie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.