Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“LCD is the Future? (Poll)”

• LCD is the future, 26 inch video modes for ALL! 45 votes
      37%
    • LCD is the future, but just a small DMD-sized color screen and for the love of god no video modes! 21 votes
      17%
    • LCD is soo Pin2k, all hypey hype hype! Spend my money on the playfield! 11 votes
      9%
    • LCD, DMD, Alphanumeric, Score Reels, who cares, as long as the game is fun! 46 votes
      37%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

budweiser04.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I don't understand, for the most part people are VERY vocal about LCD being the bees knees, but also people are VERY vocal about hating video modes... So, what gives?

#2 11 years ago

I feel if the new LCD's could be around the size of the old Sega 192X64 DMD's then I'd be pretty satisfied with the future of pinball. Giving up the BG/TL art altogether is a big "no-no" for me.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I feel if the new LCD's could be around the size of the old Sega 192X64 DMD's then I'd be pretty satisfied with the future of pinball. Giving up the BG/TL art is a big "no-no" for me.

I think that would be the best way to integrate LCDs with pins but it doesn't look like JJP will be doing it that way. I wonder what Stern will come up with. No back glass with pin off sucks IMO.

#4 11 years ago

No one is manufacturing lcds for this. And you can't really buy lcds in those oddball dimensions. So that's why they will be using off the shelf lcds. JJP has it right. No one wants to use their flipper buttons to play video games. It's not fun. And that market is taken by consoles and arcades.

Really, LCD is great and all but while playing the game, the player is too busy looking at the playfield. It could be useful in explaining modes and showing story line as you advance through the game. Think of a game that's less mode based and more adventure based with lots of decent graphics on the screen. You'd be viewing them when the ball was held.

Unfortunately, it takes a totally different talent base to make decent video 3d animations as it does to program pinball games. In order to properly utilize the LCD, there will have to be a decent learning curve for current pinball software folks or new 3d game developers need to be hired.

#5 11 years ago

I was thinking I would miss the artwork on the backglass but everytime I look at a picture of WOZ I do not miss the backglass.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

And you can't really buy lcds in those oddball dimensions.

Who says we need to have these exactly match the dimensions? Color DMD is doing just fine with what they have going, why not do something similar using the same LCD size with a larger cutout?
    Heck, I'd be cool with even a 14.1 display! You can pick those up a$$ cheap! ($50 or less.)

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I feel if the new LCD's could be around the size of the old Sega 192X64 DMD's then I'd be pretty satisfied with the future of pinball. Giving up the BG/TL art altogether is a big "no-no" for me.

Same Here. I think thats why I dont care for the WOZ. It looks like someone taken a Skill saw and simply added a tv in the head of a pinball. Too plain looking to me.

#8 11 years ago

i think a 19" LCD would look best with the back glass and speakers.

#9 11 years ago

The new AFM color dmd is really an LCD. It fits in the same space as the DMD did. Behind the speaker panel it is a few inches taller, but not by much. I voted that small LCD was the future, but not so much for my own interests. I just think it may attract new players to the game and it's good for spectators. After putting the color DMD in my AFM it just made it look newer, even the tv like reflection on the glass. Still, I'm finding that I hardly have a chance to glance up at it and admire it unless I want to lose my ball. It's good for those watching the game be played, but I can't see it being a game changer regardless of how good the 'graphics' get.

#10 11 years ago

If Stern starts to put big LCD's in the backglass, start to look for ads in the attract mode for Coke, Pepsi, Bud, Gatorade...

Robert

#11 11 years ago

If Stern starts to put big LCD's in the backglass, start to look for ads in the attract mode for Coke, Pepsi, Bud, Gatorade...
    Robert

Good point. I hope Stern is not reading this right now.

How ever if the Budweiser girls were in the ads ... !!!

budweiser04.jpgbudweiser04.jpg

#12 11 years ago

If the LCD screen is the size of Stern's DMD, I wouldn't mind at all.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm finding that I hardly have a chance to glance up at it and admire it unless I want to lose my ball. It's good for those watching the game be played, but I can't see it being a game changer regardless of how good the 'graphics' get.

+1. I never pay attention to a DMD unless there is stoppage in gameplay then I will, but other then that I pay no attention unless I'am a spectator watching someone else playing. Alphanumeric displays are fine with me. LCD screens are gonna cost probable double or triple the amount a DMD display costs. Oh well its all pinball in the end, and thats what matters

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I think that would be the best way to integrate LCDs with pins but it doesn't look like JJP will be doing it that way. I wonder what Stern will come up with. No back glass with pin off sucks IMO.

I completely agree.

Just watched JPop's presentation at the NW Pinball Show and he said the LCD on ZA will be placed in a position similar to CV. That means we still get a backglass!

#15 11 years ago

If WMS would return and build a Pinball Machine like their slot machines,
    they could quickly dominate once again.
    Their games are all about bright and beautiful touch screens.
    Just imagine what they could bring to the table these days.

1 week later
    #16 11 years ago

LCD's and DMD's are like sexy lingerie
    They add visual excitement, but keeping things in perspective, all the best sex happens with your cloths off.

#17 11 years ago

I put LCD as I would like to see actual movie footage (when doing movie theme). Is it a deal breaker - No but I do feel like a change is needed. Some HD footage would be nice.
    However some call outs would also be a welcomed edition.

#18 11 years ago

LCDs are cheap and flexible, here to stay. Whether they are used for video modes will depend on the game.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

For the most part people are VERY vocal about LCD being the bees knees, but also people are VERY vocal about hating video modes... So, what gives?

Two different groups of people?

#20 11 years ago

I would like all displays( dmd,lcd, or whatever) at the back of the playfield in my line of sight so I can see what's going on while I play like on CV.

#21 11 years ago

DMDs, LCDs, let's face it, they're really there to attract attention to the pin from people watching or passing by. I've put more hours into TAF than any other pin and outside of "SHOWTIME", I probably couldn't testify legally in court about what's going on with the DMD when I do certain things on the PF.

Video modes are strange. I see it's attraction as an "extra" feature, but it really has no flow with respect to the regular play and is controlled by what, two buttons? C'mon. If I wanted to play a video game, I would have. I want to play pinball.

An LCD video mode would be flashy, pretty, and bright. But would it be any different than say MM's video mode? More than just a temporary distraction for the player? Again, it's main goal would be to attract those that are walking by and/or just watching. How far would somebody take it? We've already had Baby Pac-Man as a "hybrid" experiment. Don't even get me started on how akward and herky-jerky that game felt back in the day!

Now, if you were to digitize the playfield glass(like on an iPhone), you'd have something completely different and groundbreaking. Could you imagine a touch interface on the glass of a pin? How insane could that get?

Maybe before all these companies dive into LCD's, they should consider new interfaces and the myriad of possibilities they could open up to complement the ultra high-res graphics they can do with LCD's.

Just my 2 cents.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lcd-is-the-future-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.