Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Butch2099
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_color_dmd_(resized).jpg
    sega_frankenstein_dmd_(resized).jpg
    Mario_(resized).jpg
    Everdrive_(resized).jpg
    Conker_(resized).jpg
    HDMIport_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 8 years ago

Personally I hope they just do it the way Dutch is doing it. Best size / placement. I don't get why heighway puts it on the playfield and the backbox.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why? LCD will make BOM cheaper and they have staff artists who's salaries don't change.

Ready for a Cargument? Turbos are a cheaper way to get horsepower, but companies aren't charging less as cars get more powerful. It's an upgrade.

Think about it like this...would you pay more for a Stern with an LCD? Most would say yes. One thing I'm curious about any maybe Aurich can answer this. Does the cost of the license go up if you're using clips from the movie?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I agree as it sld be the same price or cheaper to use a lcd.

Guys...Stern is not going to bring prices down. ONE THING brings prices down. Competition! They. Have. None.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Meh. They have competition... sadly; none are "high volume".
    Agreed; no sales or lower priced, high volume competitors are the only thing that is going to bring Stern back in line.

They do? I want to buy a NIB game today, what can I buy other than WOZ, a 3 year old pin.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If it's a movie/show license and they can use the movie/show's assets - I'd say it's about equal or easier. It's more about creating transitions and some effects at that point.

Rare, I applaud your reasoning but Stern is running a business...why would they improve the product and lower the price when they don't have to?

#41 8 years ago

Also we should be two years past LCD integration and wondering why nobody is really innovating the stuff on the playfield. Sometimes I'll play games from 20 years ago and feel like more went into the playfield mechs.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Umm.. Spooky. You and I both know you can't go just anywhere and get a pin NIB.
    Spooky is now in a demand out-paces their capacity situation. I'm somewhat sure you can go and get a GOT Premium either.
    Regardless; you can choose to claim they aren't competitors; but they are - had I the choice; I would have bought RZ.
    By your own "8 machines this year" thread; you know there is competition out there. It's just not high volume.

No. AMH is sold out, as is RZ, so how is that competition? I have money today and want a pin in 2 weeks. Who?

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They're already making money....but don't you think they're on that tipping point of customers spending their money elsewhere? Prices can't keep going up forever. I think it's a rational point of view that the price hikes over the past few years have taken Spike and the next display into account.

You answered your own statement. There is NO ELSEWHERE.

JJP: 3 Years delayed
    Heighway: second batch of Full Throttles are going out when exactly?
    Dutch: Over a year delayed
    Spooky: Sold out
    P3: Who knows
    Wooly: Never happening

So I'm a customer. I have money to spend. There literally is nothing new to buy but a Stern. Or I could foolishly lock my money in a pre-order.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I didn't say lower. I said not raise.
    Who knows, we'll see. I think the LE's are as high as they can go, especially since they're not a guaranteed sell-out like they were a few years ago. Maybe they'll see if Pro buyers will keep buying with a slight raise.

I think you're right. I think prices will stay where they are at. They must be making A LOT per pin now. We can all thank Jack for raising the prices (and quality) but then failing to deliver volume fast enough. Stern saw what he did and realized one thing: PEOPLE WILL SPEND THIS MUCH.

I know I get flamed A LOT for saying this, but Spooky could have sold RZ for $1,000 more. It's a limited boutique game. That's $300,000 left on the table. Everyone would have paid to support the little guy.

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I wouldn't put them at premium level, but they're above Stern pros. Stern pros don't get cool toys like the Hellevator or upper playfields. AMH has a bunch of moving toys (ghost, door, 3-bank) and RZ is similar. Regardless of features, it's so weird that such a tiny manufacturer is even in the same pricing ball park, let alone at the low end.

As much as I love Spooky, the quality of a Stern Pro is still better. But it's apples to oranges. Full fledge factory vs homebrew.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I wasn't talking about another pinball. I'm just saying - at a certain price point....some might say "eh, I don't really need a pinball machine...I'll go buy (insert any other non-pinball thing here)"

Not sure I buy that. Not many 9K toys out there that a pinball buyer would consider. I feel like the next toys on the list are what? Home theater? Surely not cars.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I do want to punch you every time you say anyone should be selling their games for more. There's a fine line in this biz - I think Spooky found the sweet-spot. It's a boutique game - but it's still a gamble. No one's played it, no one knows if it's going to turn out well or be a dog. Look at WOOLY - clearly $8000 was too much for anyone to take that gamble. Spooky's price seems "fair" compared to the alternatives. Any higher, they lose that goodwill hobbyist "impulse buy".
    Boutique means nothing. Rare doesn't mean "should be more expensive". I have a "rare" Caribbean Cruise. No one gives a shit about that game lol

WOOLY had no production plan. That was the gamble. If they said, "Stern will build 100 for us at 8K" they would have been set. People were smart to not pre-order a pin with just a few guys who made it. Spooky made AMH and didn't take money until they made the pins. Smart. Right thing to do. Does anyone feel like RZ is a gamble? Nope.

What sets price my friend? Supply / demand. Can we agree on that. Spooky supplied 300 games and had a demand of 700. They left money on the table.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not even saying it has to be a comparably priced toy. I can afford a stupid-expensive pinball machine, but it's at the point where I just don't want to on principal. I just spent $164 to HDMI mod my Nintendo 64 and I'm spending my nerd-time with that at the moment lol...I don't "need" a new pinball...but at a certain price I'm more willing to bite. At current prices I have to be "IN LOVE" with that box of stuff.

More people wanna play Mario Kart 64 than pinball when I have people over. So good investment. Where'd you get the mod from?

Also, maybe we should just start our own thread since we're clearly having an IM chat right now

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Finally, I really hope Stern does something for its international customers, I just can't spend 10K on a Pre or even 7500 on a pro, I know they are a business and its unlikely but man thats crazy, they should also introduce the Heighway system of swapping PF's, I think that would be great, in the long run more units would sell, those of us with limited space could buy more pins and it would also help with high prices.

Move to America!!!!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, off topic zone lol
    I went with:
    http://www.badassconsoles.com

HDMIport_(resized).jpgConker_(resized).jpg

That's awesome. I need to get one. Do you have to supply the console or do they sell with?

#101 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here. I think it's awesome that Spooky is making pinball machines but RZ has a cheap vibe to it just looking at its playfield. In terms of toys and playfield art it seems like a step back from AMH in my opinion. Sure the cabinet artwork looks awesome but that is not why people drop $5k-$8k on new pins. The cabinet artwork on RZ makes you think that the playfield will be full of cool toys, similar looking artwork, and a lot of inserts...and then you see what's there...ugh.
    Some people are putting way too much stock in RZ being a high valued pin down the road based on its low production count alone. Well, Stern didn't make many Avatar LE's and Rolling Stone LE's either and those games haven't rocketed in price...

If I said this, I would have had 30 down votes I meant RZ isn't a game that you'll get one. As far as down the road value, I agree. When the new pins come out in 2016, I think Spooky's home-brew look/feel isn't gonna be up to the new standard set.

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

The other thing pointing at no LCD in GB is the leaked back glass. The back glass seemed to be full size, therefore leaving no room for an LCD. I didn't read much about the leaked photo, only looked quickly. Unless the leaked photo is the back glass image that appears on the LCD similar to woz of course, but I didn't see it that way.

WRONG!!! It's not gonna be a huge LCD like JJP. That thing is too big. It's probably going to more the size a COLOR DMD.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I find most your posts irritating enough as is, but especially so when they are false. From our original announcement we had production plans in place with Spooky Pinball. It's unfortunate we were not able to move forward at that time and help grow Spooky's business, but it is what it is.
    "The best news from this past year is that we now have an agreement with Spooky Pinball for them to manufacture WOOLY! Spooky has shown their commitment to building quality pinball machines and is the only boutique manufacturer that is actually shipping games. They have the capacity, resources and knowledge to build great pins. With Spooky Pinball being able to make our games we felt that we are now ready to start taking official Wrath of Olympus orders."

I know that but I said STERN would have given people the confidence and having Spooky lined up would not make people feel confident they'd get a game anytime soon. That's the thing. You can't ask for $8,000 and make people wait years anymore. Jack has burned that bridge forever. You had the right game at the wrong time.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I expect if Scott made the same announcement today, he wouldn't have too much trouble getting 100 pre-orders (maybe even 250). Especially if he was able to add an RGB LED display (little to no new programming required).

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the pre-order due in full to secure a spot? Not sure asking 100 people to pony over $8,000 would work. WOOLY is cool, but with license themes people are drooling over like Hobbit, Alien, Ghostbusters, TBL, Spider-Man and rumored Star Wars, Jurassic Wold, etc...It's hard.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lcd-finally-next-stern-release-after-spider-man-ve?tu=kaneda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.