Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Butch2099
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_color_dmd_(resized).jpg
    sega_frankenstein_dmd_(resized).jpg
    Mario_(resized).jpg
    Everdrive_(resized).jpg
    Conker_(resized).jpg
    HDMIport_(resized).jpg

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here. I think it's awesome that Spooky is making pinball machines but RZ has a cheap vibe to it just looking at its playfield. In terms of toys and playfield art it seems like a step back from AMH in my opinion. Sure the cabinet artwork looks awesome but that is not why people drop $5k-$8k on new pins. The cabinet artwork on RZ makes you think that the playfield will be full of cool toys, similar looking artwork, and a lot of inserts...and then you see what's there...ugh.
    Some people are putting way too much stock in RZ being a high valued pin down the road based on its low production count alone. Well, Stern didn't make many Avatar LE's and Rolling Stone LE's either and those games haven't rocketed in price...

If I said this, I would have had 30 down votes I meant RZ isn't a game that you'll get one. As far as down the road value, I agree. When the new pins come out in 2016, I think Spooky's home-brew look/feel isn't gonna be up to the new standard set.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

If I said this, I would have had 30 down votes I meant RZ isn't a game that you'll get one. As far as down the road value, I agree. When the new pins come out in 2016, I think Spooky's home-brew look/feel isn't gonna be up to the new standard set.

I have a feeling you will see RZ shipped before you see Stern replace the DMD with a LCD or JJP ship a Hobbit.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I'm not so sure Mike. Kiss and GoT were suppose to have the LCD too. I think Stern is likely having trouble implementing it and want more time to develop it. Just my opinion.
    My thought is they probably don't want to rush it out the door.

You could be right Tom. I've heard other pretty reliable sources say there isn't an LCD so not really sure who to believe at this point. Just strange that it would come out of Jody's mouth if it wasn't happening?

#104 8 years ago

Well that new info sucks...I was really hoping Ghostbusters would have the LCD.

#105 8 years ago

Maybe there's another game after SM and before GB.....

#106 8 years ago

Wow, so apparently their own employees don't know what is going on. Bummer. I was really hoping that Ghostbusters would have an LCD in it.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, so apparently their own employees don't know what is going on. Bummer. I was really hoping that Ghostbusters would have an LCD in it.

I suspect the employees DO know what is going on, just weren't supposed to say so, and there's a bit of obfuscation going on.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I suspect the employees DO know what is going on, just weren't supposed to say so, and there's a bit of obfuscation going on.

I hope you are right on that.

#109 8 years ago

Ghostbusters will have an LCD. The question is if GB will be next. It was originally supposed to be released at CES. Last summer it was decided that it could not be done in time. Hence they started throwing SMVE together to have it ready for CES. It was always planned to be the first game with an LCD. Production plans are always changed based on the designers needs and input. Last February KISS and GOT were swapped in regards to their release because Ritchie needed more time. GB is now TENTATIVELY scheduled to be released in the Feb/March time frame.

#110 8 years ago

The other thing pointing at no LCD in GB is the leaked back glass. The back glass seemed to be full size, therefore leaving no room for an LCD. I didn't read much about the leaked photo, only looked quickly. Unless the leaked photo is the back glass image that appears on the LCD similar to woz of course, but I didn't see it that way.

#111 8 years ago

I gotta believe that GB+LCD will be huge - it's the first Stern pin in forever with lots of crossover/family appeal. Plus, it's a comedy - when's the last time a pin was based on a comedy film?

#112 8 years ago

Good time for Jaws then. I'm cool with it having a dmd. Runaway hit 'filler' title.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

The other thing pointing at no LCD in GB is the leaked back glass. The back glass seemed to be full size, therefore leaving no room for an LCD. I didn't read much about the leaked photo, only looked quickly. Unless the leaked photo is the back glass image that appears on the LCD similar to woz of course, but I didn't see it that way.

...assuming the LCD would be in the backbox on GB. It could be a Heighway type LCD embedded in the playfield.

#114 8 years ago

How would you guys feel if they made the Pro with the new movie cast or the cartoon? And saved the original cast for the Premium & LE?

Regardless of an LCD, the shit will hit the fan especially if the new movie bombs... Just saying that an LCD doesn't make the game.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from thearcadegeek:

How would you guys feel if they made the Pro with the new movie cast or the cartoon? And saved the original cast for the Premium & LE?
    Regardless of an LCD, the shit will hit the fan especially if the new movie bombs... Just saying that an LCD doesn't make the game.

Not happening! All versions are based on the original movie. That translite image that leaked a few weeks back was the Pro translite.

#116 8 years ago

I can't wait until they release GB just so we can stop having conversations about it being based on the new movie that hasn't even come out yet.

#117 8 years ago

If the playfield images were legit whitewoods, I didn't see any place for an LCD there either. Maybe it just doesn't have an LCD anywhere, or it isn't the next release. If so, what could possibly be the next release?

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Define lots. 50? We know it was less than a hundred. Less than a hundred isn't lots. When you can sell thousands in this hobby like Stern that's lots.
    No diss on Scott or Wooly. But lots didn't line up, and that's why it didn't get made.
    IMHO one of the reasons, to get back on topic, is that the price was too high for no LCD. Monochrome DMD at $8k isn't gonna attract anyone anymore.
    I'm not at all convinced Ghostbusters is going to ship with an LCD screen, if it's a DMD still I won't be shocked at all. But for the modern prices that would sure suck, so here's hoping the DMD is dead now.

I believe the final tally of those that paid in at 8000 (1k deposit but commited) was nearing 75 people. To me that is LOTS, esp considering the timing and percieved risk of many. Keep in mind this was also a time when ONLY Stern was making and delivering games and 2 other companies had recently failed and DP was having all its issues.

It was very clear that if the game was built and ready for delivery that they would have sold hundreds instantly. I personally still think there is a chance it will see production (If Andrew is smart he is thinking about making a dedicated kit for Heighway games as it is a natural fit for that model; that would also get it the color display you covet)

I personally dont really care about color this or color that at all. I liek DMDs and am find with them as I rarely look at displays and it is pretty far down my list of interest. I think that it is a nice to have for most people and the real benefit is just on route to draw people in.

#119 8 years ago

There is plenty of room in the speaker panel to do a nice sized LED.
    It does not need to be on the Backglass or playfield.
    All they have to do is make a larger window in the speaker panel.
    Never once have I thought it would be on the Backglass or playfield.

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

I wonder if Ghostbusters will be based on the movie or the cartoon?

Both, the movie first and 9 years later the cartoon for 3000.00 more..

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from Duff:

Both, the movie first and 9 years later the cartoon for 3000.00 more..

What you did there, I see it.

Quoted from konghusker:

If the playfield images were legit whitewoods, I didn't see any place for an LCD there either. Maybe it just doesn't have an LCD anywhere, or it isn't the next release. If so, what could possibly be the next release?

We still don't know for sure if that's the GB playfield or not.

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

What you did there, I see it.

We still don't know for sure if that's the GB playfield or not.

It is.

#123 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe the final tally of those that paid in at 8000 (1k deposit but commited) was nearing 75 people. To me that is LOTS

That's nothing. RZ at 300 is barely anything for manufacturing....but it's clear that 300 units @ $6k is a number collectors will buy at. $8k is not, hence only 75.

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

There is plenty of room in the speaker panel to do a nice sized LED.
    It does not need to be on the Backglass or playfield.
    All they have to do is make a larger window in the speaker panel.
    Never once have I thought it would be on the Backglass or playfield.

And why do you think they tipped the speaker panel up? Not for DMD glare. For correct axis viewing of an LCD based display.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

WOOLY had no production plan.

I find most your posts irritating enough as is, but especially so when they are false. From our original announcement we had production plans in place with Spooky Pinball. It's unfortunate we were not able to move forward at that time and help grow Spooky's business, but it is what it is.

"The best news from this past year is that we now have an agreement with Spooky Pinball for them to manufacture WOOLY! Spooky has shown their commitment to building quality pinball machines and is the only boutique manufacturer that is actually shipping games. They have the capacity, resources and knowledge to build great pins. With Spooky Pinball being able to make our games we felt that we are now ready to start taking official Wrath of Olympus orders."

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I find most your posts irritating enough as is, but especially so when they are false. From our original announcement we had production plans in place with Spooky Pinball. It's unfortunate we were not able to move forward at that time and help grow Spooky's business, but it is what it is.
    "The best news from this past year is that we now have an agreement with Spooky Pinball for them to manufacture WOOLY! Spooky has shown their commitment to building quality pinball machines and is the only boutique manufacturer that is actually shipping games. They have the capacity, resources and knowledge to build great pins. With Spooky Pinball being able to make our games we felt that we are now ready to start taking official Wrath of Olympus orders."

Congratulations. How many are you planning on building?

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

WRONG!!! It's not gonna be a huge LCD like JJP. That thing is too big. It's probably going to more the size a COLOR DMD.

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Congratulations. How many are you planning on building?

Production is on hold indefinitely. I was merely commenting that we had a plan.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

I know that but I said STERN would have given people the confidence and having Spooky lined up would not make people feel confident they'd get a game anytime soon. That's the thing. You can't ask for $8,000 and make people wait years anymore. Jack has burned that bridge forever. You had the right game at the wrong time.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Production is on hold indefinitely. I was merely commenting that we had a plan.

Looking forward to seeing some built in the future.

#131 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That's nothing. RZ at 300 is barely anything for manufacturing....but it's clear that 300 units @ $6k is a number collectors will buy at. $8k is not, hence only 75.

Price was not necessarily the only reason holding pre-orders back. As was mentioned, timing was bad due to the failures of SkitB and JPOP.

The sound package was in it's infancy with background music and many of the call-outs and special effects still to be done.

Also, the initial deposit was $1000 (announced in October, due in January) followed by $3500 one month later, both non-refundable after the 2nd deposit. So essentially a $4500 non-refundable deposit with little new information to go on before committing. Due to this, I wouldn't have pre-ordered even if the final price was $6k.

I think if Scott had made the deposit $1000 and let it be refundable until the sound, rules and display effects were further along, he wouldn't have had any problem getting 100 pre-orders. After that point, he could have required the additional $3500 deposit to prepare for the build.

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

You had the right game at the wrong time.

Finally, something you post that I agree with.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but yes, STERN would have given more confidence than Spooky, but at the same time I friggin love Spooky and what they've done and would have loved it if they could have profited from it instead. As for timing - you are absolutely right, it's very hard to say how the fallout from the Skit-B, JPOOP, and Phil's DP shit storm had on boutique pinball everywhere. Color display - agree 1000% that it would have attracted more buyers. Would it have made the difference in light of all the other outstanding factors? very doubtful. And who knows, maybe someday WOOLY will have a color display. Frank's a genius and he never stops working on improving the game.

#133 8 years ago

I seriously doubt that Stern will create a LCD that is as large as JJP's, If I had to bet they would use a display the same size as the current dmd. Why would they re-engineer the backbox only to replace it again in, what 2 years? I am probably missing a few but ST,TWD,MET LED, Mustang,and WWE were the only ones with the new backbox right?

#134 8 years ago

Great news....i'm ready for the LCD upgrade.

What makes me a bit sad is : TWD and GOT are already out and DMD supported

Don't get me wrong, dmd is fine but it could have been awesome on LCD....... so much material to work with.

At least we almost know for sure whoever does Star Wars (JJP or Stern) it will be LCD supported and that's AWESOME

#135 8 years ago

I guess we can all be uber thankful for what Randy has done with ColorDMD. My guess is almost every standard DMD is going to have a color display option in the next decade. It may not be high res, but for something you're only glimpsing snap shots of while playing it's pretty wonderful.

#136 8 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

I seriously doubt that Stern will create a LCD that is as large as JJP's, If I had to bet they would use a display the same size as the current dmd. Why would they re-engineer the backbox only to replace it again in, what 2 years? I am probably missing a few but ST,TWD,MET LED, Mustang,and WWE were the only ones with the new backbox right?

Agreed. I have heard Gary Stern mention multiple times that when they do an LCD, "it needs to be done right". He elaborated on this by saying that it can't take up the entire backbox. This leads me to believe that they will probably do something similar in size to the traditional DMD. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Gary Stern says a lot of things.

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

WRONG!!! It's not gonna be a huge LCD like JJP. That thing is too big. It's probably going to more the size a COLOR DMD.

I don't think it's going to be a full-sized backbox LCD either, because it's a lot harder to make that look good... not because it's "too big".

"Too many pretty graphics and too much information on game progress, I can't stand this thing, it's too big!" said no one!

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I'm not so sure Mike. Kiss and GoT were suppose to have the LCD too. I think Stern is likely having trouble implementing it and want more time to develop it. Just my opinion.
    My thought is they probably don't want to rush it out the door.

It's probably more along the lines that they don't know how to avoid margin compression within the current market and their business model. 2 companies have already figured out the tech aspect.

#139 8 years ago

I think people have become fanatical about GB so they've convinced themselves that it will be available imminently. Chatter from those who aren't hysterical about the game would tend to indicate that it's still some way off. Given Stern's cadence for releases, another dmd table, then GB later isn't unlikely. Though it would be a shame for Stern if they missed the media feeding frenzy around the new movie.

#140 8 years ago

Scott, WOOLY is already in a much better place now than it was when you asked for pre-order. Color changing lights, original music, the package has gotten more compelling. I think if you had that with a color display you might have made the 100. But the timing was just rough, and that's not your fault.

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Frank's a genius and he never stops working on improving the game.

Quited for Truth. The man is an animal! Seriously!

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Spooky is doing color in same cutout size. Heck, if Stern wanted to be a little cutting edge they could squeeze a double height SEGA sized display in the same size bezel (just make the cutout bigger)

sega_frankenstein_dmd_(resized).jpgsega_frankenstein_dmd_(resized).jpg

stern_color_dmd_(resized).jpgstern_color_dmd_(resized).jpg

#143 8 years ago

I guess to me putting a TV screen on a pinball machine is kind of an overkill. I never thought a pinball game should be like a video game, but I guess that's what it has come to now.

#144 8 years ago

Release at expo 2016 !

#145 8 years ago

Maybe they can set it up so you can watch a ball game while playing pinball now.

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

Ghostbusters will have an LCD. The question is if GB will be next. It was originally supposed to be released at CES. Last summer it was decided that it could not be done in time. Hence they started throwing SMVE together to have it ready for CES. It was always planned to be the first game with an LCD. Production plans are always changed based on the designers needs and input. Last February KISS and GOT were swapped in regards to their release because Ritchie needed more time. GB is now TENTATIVELY scheduled to be released in the Feb/March time frame.

These guys seem to know what's happening. Everything else is noise.

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Scott, WOOLY is already in a much better place now than it was when you asked for pre-order. Color changing lights, original music, the package has gotten more compelling. I think if you had that with a color display you might have made the 100. But the timing was just rough, and that's not your fault.

I expect if Scott made the same announcement today, he wouldn't have too much trouble getting 100 pre-orders (maybe even 250). Especially if he was able to add an RGB LED display (little to no new programming required).

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess to me putting a TV screen on a pinball machine is kind of an overkill. I never thought a pinball game should be like a video game, but I guess that's what it has come to now.

A color score display isn't a TV or a video game. It's just a color score display that just looks more modern.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I expect if Scott made the same announcement today, he wouldn't have too much trouble getting 100 pre-orders (maybe even 250). Especially if he was able to add an RGB LED display (little to no new programming required).

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the pre-order due in full to secure a spot? Not sure asking 100 people to pony over $8,000 would work. WOOLY is cool, but with license themes people are drooling over like Hobbit, Alien, Ghostbusters, TBL, Spider-Man and rumored Star Wars, Jurassic Wold, etc...It's hard.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the pre-order due in full to secure a spot? Not sure asking 100 people to pony over $8,000 would work.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Also, the initial deposit was $1000 (announced in October, due in January) followed by $3500 one month later, both non-refundable after the 2nd deposit.

Remainder due when your machine was ready for build.

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lcd-finally-next-stern-release-after-spider-man-ve/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.