stern_lazerlord_backglass_front_01 (resized).jpg
Pinball Hall of Fame Entrance (resized).JPG
joe (resized).jpg
snapperhead (resized).jpg
d216c05521d26f8012ee844205a9e55956e9687d (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wouldn't be too hard to come up with a ruleset for it, and most likely, whatever is on those ROMS isn't complete anyway.

It's a lot more work than you would think to build something from scratch.

Even if you did have incomplete code, you could at least use that as a starting point.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you think this machine is worth $1,000?

To someone who have a big interest of games in this era and pinball history, sure. A one-of-a-kind prototype is fascinating.

I wouldn't pay anything near that as it sits, though--unless there was proof that it could flip.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Chew" him down? Cute Vid, really.

Let's not start that here, please.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Everyone has different ideas of how exactly to handle a transaction. Personally when I go to look at any machine I buy them as they sit. I

In most cases, I'd agree. But this is a particularly special game. Who knows if it will see the light of day again.

#78 6 years ago

But getting it working at the sellers house doesn't seem like the smart thing to do regardless.

I never do that with games. I inspect it, and cart it away. If I'm there to fix something, I fix it. If I'm there to buy something, I buy it.

Like I said before, this would be a special circumstance. The seller already knows it's worth something, lots of people are already hedging on it because it's "as-is" and don't know if it's worth taking a gamble on. Fixing it to the point where it flips would be doing a service to potential buyers, the seller, and anyone else who would be interested in potentially seeing it play and gain access to the ROMs (if they're good).

First off whoever does that takes a risk of getting blamed if anything goes wrong (maybe even sued for damages). Second whoever fixes it will likely not get paid even if they can get it up and running. So what is the "upside" of working on it onsite instead of taking it to a safe environment and working on it in a low risk place.

Static electric, dirt, bad electric, lack of good test equipment or soldering station all pose a risk with chips that can't be replaced. So it just seems like the smart thing to do is for someone qualified to purchase it then take it to their shop to work on it.

That's getting a little ridiculous. Someone like you, vid, or me has a pretty good idea of what they're doing. Handling boards and electronics are second nature at this point.

But the shotgun approach working at the guys house just doesn't seem like to most logical way to do that? Am I missing something with my logic?

Doing an inspection, initial power-up without boards, swapping in a known working boardset, and connecting them one at a time, and going through the game diagnostics doesn't take that long. 10-15 minutes if everything goes smoothly? Probably less if you rush it and do everything at once.

#80 6 years ago

Pintechs we not working with one of a kind parts (or chips) on "rare" or one of a kind machines

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend a first-timer to cut their teeth on something like that. I've worked with a few very rare and essentially unreplaceable items, and I'm not afraid to. As long as you have some experience, you'll be fine.

#83 6 years ago

Bad cabinet, bad or no code, bad backglass - isn't much of a machine in my eyes regardless or how rare.

It's not a project for everyone. But all you need is one person who is interested.

If I knew it played, I would pay a bit more for it (and be glad to), rather than lowball it (and knowing the seller isn't interested in lowball offers). I would be happy to pay more for it in a known state and the seller would probably be happy to get more for it. Everybody wins.

You still seem to be treating it as if it's a title as common as pinbot or something.

#87 6 years ago

Sometimes the "smart move" is to not set yourself up to get blamed if something goes wrong!

Simply know your limitations. If you have qualms about working on something like this, then don't touch it. If you repair games all the time, this won't be anything new.

#88 6 years ago

I know if I was in his shoes I would rather just sell it as-is because knowing could cost you more than it might gain you.

I disagree. There's a lot more to be gained than lost from both the buyer and seller's perspectives with this game in a known state, rather than unknown.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You've been wrong about an awful lot of stuff lately (stern will never issue a jt statement!) and this is no exception. How about you make the trip there and we'll see if you can get it working in 15 minutes?

The idea is to get it to boot and flip. Not to shop it out or correct issues inherent in a whitewood prototype.

I can usually get a game to boot fairly quickly as long as it isn't hacked to pieces. Fully playable where everything is 100% is something else.

#141 6 years ago

I don't know of many guys that want to put a head on a machine while it is sitting on the floor and try to get it up and running at a height that would be a PITA to work on it.

I do that sometimes, actually. Then I sit on a stool or simply stand and toil away. A lot easier when trying to work on a playfield that basically only has one service position

Sometimes I'll leave it on a hand truck and put something under the handle to get it close to the right playfield angle if I actually need to play a game on it.

Or sometimes I'll have it on a lift cart. It really depends what I need to work on and what height ends up being comfortable.

#142 6 years ago

assuming somehow code was finished?

Nobody said it was finished. I was assuming it may have gotten to the point where it could start, play some of the basic game features, and end. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

That is exactly why I suggested Vid & Clay figure this out privately. It seems more like a war of egos than a couple guys trying to preserve pinball history. VERY SAD but typically of people that think they are smarter than the next guy. Best of luck to all involved!

I'm not reading anywhere where anyone is fighting over it. The way I see it, you just have a difference of opinion on how to hande the game as it sits.

#151 6 years ago

Reproducing it sounds like a neat idea.

Quoted from vid1900:

I only have a dozen Classic Stern board sets, so it will be a limited run of 10.

Nvram.weebly.com has aftermarket MPUs that can take ROMs, plus an inexpensive lamp board and rectifier board. Sound boards may be on the way too (he did two of the classic bally sound boards already). A driver board from altek may be needed.

Boards wouldn't necessarily have to be the limiting factor if you actually do go ahead with something like this.

3 weeks later
#198 6 years ago

Direct link:

ebay.com link: Stern Lazer Lord Joe Joss whitewood antique prototype pinball

You should really put a photo up of the rear end of the cabinet as a matter of full disclosure. A buyer would be very unhappy to see that damage since none of the other photos reveal it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lazer-lord-prototype/page/3#post-3961152

1 month later
#224 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

LOL, that was the wrong quote there. I didn't say that.

Fixed it.

1 week later
#247 6 years ago

Honestly, I can see both points of view.

On one hand, the seller is saying they worked, so the buyer owes him.

On the other hand, the buyer is saying it was implied that the EPROMs were one-of-a-kind (thus valuable), but they are not one-of-a-kind and are already freely available (and therefore not valuable).

Compromise on $250?

#251 6 years ago
Quoted from tedandjen:

Oh and back to the the facts. I never said or implied the eproms were a one of a kind.

I think the buyer assumed they would be, and so did everyone else in this thread. There was always the chance that the EPROMs were going to be toast, so there was a chance that you would not have gotten that $500 anyway. But like you say, they did end up working as far as you are concerned. I think the two of you are probably going to have to be flexible and come to a compromise of some sort to satisfy the spirit of the original agreement. Neither of you will probably be entirely satisfied, but that's how compromises sometimes turn out.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from tedandjen:

Well i understand how compromises go. Just kind of sucks you cant hold someone to there word in our great country.

Well, you've only posted your side. The buyer hasn't chimed in on the issue with their side yet.

#273 6 years ago

Not everyone wants to duke out a private matter in public.

#281 6 years ago

I'm a little surprised at how many folks are out with their pitchforks. It's easy to say "fork it over" when it's not your money. Especially when at the center of it is an item that has turned out to hold little value. Was it an ironclad conditional agreement? I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't have made an agreement like this in the first place (either as a seller or as a buyer) since it can easily have the potential to go sideways if someone isn't happy with something.

After seeing private disagreements being made public many, many times, more often than not, the person who posts about a private matter does not end up actually being the fully wronged party.

I know a lot of people practically salivate at the prospect of a good drama and controversy and like to pick a side and scream for justice. I'm guessing since the buyer has been on the forums for a little while, he is aware of the kind of show that usually goes down.

Personally, I usually like to hear both sides. A dispute usually takes interesting turns after there is a response from the other party, and I've been surprised more than once with what additional information brings. So, I've learned to try to reserve judgement before all the facts are in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lazer-lord?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.