New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 123704)

Lazer Lord

By smileymatthew

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 395 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

581ee76df5669e360ed64992744c0617 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
Stern_Viper_p8 (resized).jpg
Stern_Catacomb_p8 (resized).jpg
IMG_0034 (resized).JPG
IMG_0032 (resized).JPG
lzr (resized).jpg
image-10 (resized).jpg
stern_lazerlord_backglass_front_01 (resized).jpg
Pinball Hall of Fame Entrance (resized).JPG
joe (resized).jpg
snapperhead (resized).jpg
d216c05521d26f8012ee844205a9e55956e9687d (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 3 years ago

Im fine with keeping it and i will enjoy it. I will not be involved in all of the crap talking on here!!!!!!!! Have a great day!

#202 3 years ago

my sweet lazer lord

lzr (resized).jpg

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from tedandjen:

I will take some pics of cab and get them up there.

List it as a 10 day auction and start price at $1000

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

5K starting?? Man, enjoy your pinball machine. You're gonna have it for awhile.

I agree. I'd be VERY surprised to find a hardcore classic Stern collector that DOESN'T know about this machine from this thread or word of mouth. Everybody here passed on it at 5K. Even 3K was too risky for most.

Quoted from tedandjen:

Im fine with keeping it and i will enjoy it. I will not be involved in all of the crap talking on here!!!!!!!! Have a great day!

Ted, if it's worth 5K to you and it doesn't sell and you end up keeping it, then I'm happy you can enjoy it. I hope you will get it working and take it to shows and take satisfaction in seeing others enjoy it too.

Please don't berate the opinions of the people in this forum. You asked us to tell you what you have. This is the most knowledgeable base of pinball collectors on the planet. We tried to come up with an accurate value based on the current condition of the machine, and some even shot you an offer. Yes, there are some collectors that don't use Pinside for the very reason you're not happy, but somebody would have consulted them for their opinion and if they felt it was worth your asking price it would already be in their hands.

Quoted from danczaz:

List it as a 10 day auction and start price at $1000

Yes, if you really want to sell it set the price low with no reserve and see who throws the most benji's at it.

#205 3 years ago

Did vid go by and check it out and see if he could get it working? I kind of recall he had a bet outstanding on it...

#206 3 years ago

I have an Orbitor1 body that you could pop that playfield into!

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from tedandjen:

I will take some pics of cab and get them up there.

cabinet is roached

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did vid go by and check it out and see if he could get it working? I kind of recall he had a bet outstanding on it...

No he did not.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Nope, I'm still many thousands of miles away.

If it went, you KNOW I would have posted a timed video to boot up.

2 weeks later
#210 2 years ago

Anyone interested in following the progress of the Lazerlord whitewood I am posting pics and comments here: https://lazerlord.blogspot.com/ feel free to leave comments that are helpful. Hope to bring a working game to Pinball at the Zoo. I will try and post updates from time to time here at pinside.

Looking for someone in my area Michigan that does real good work on repairing backglasses?

Thanks

#211 2 years ago

Oh wow, so someone ended up with it after all! How did that go down?

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Oh wow, so someone ended up with it after all! How did that go down?

Ted the guy who saved this game was nice. He did the pinball world a solid. The biggest thing is the eproms right now. Will post updates.

Thanks

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Ted the guy who saved this game was nice. He did the pinball world a solid. The biggest thing is the eproms right now. Will post updates.
Thanks

Glad someone who seems knowledgable can save this game and knows the importance of it! Ted seems alright, just wish he would have listened more than have a knee-jerk reaction. His heavily damaged game, while important, was still in dire need of repair and was NOT, in fact, priceless.
Glad he shared it here on pinside, which allowed a capable collector to get ahold it! I hope you can save the cabinet and I hope eproms are still intact! Best of luck preserving this nearly-lost piece of pinball history!

I hope Ted was able to get a game he can enjoy and in turn this odd whitewood will be shared with the public at shows.

Oh, igo4rams, don't touch it till you get vid at your house and film it!

#214 2 years ago

If your in the area and you want see the game PM me. Thanks

#215 2 years ago

Great news!

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Thanks

Right on, glad it ended up in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it, and hopefully Ted came out happy too. I know he seemed pretty frustrated with us a couple times, lol.

#217 2 years ago

Already talking about a trip to the Zoo.

1 week later
#218 2 years ago

Update:

Had the eproms removed from MPU board and read. The outcome is weird/confusing to say the least. First thing we noticed, the eproms were full and did not look corrupt. We compared them to the Viper eproms and discovered no match. Then we compared them to the prototype LazerLord eproms, it was a perfect match. How is that possible? The thought was the eproms should be unique to this game (LazerLord whitewood). How can eproms work in two games that have very different playfields? No need to upload the eproms to IPDB, the info is already there. We were able to put the MPU in a working Viper game and the MPU fired up. About half the game worked, sounds played, most of the switches worked, none of the solenoids would fire. Even in the test mode none of the solenoids fired. Next thing to do is get the game together and test the rest of the boards and power up the game. Hope to post the results soon.

#220 2 years ago

That's very interesting. Makes me wonder now if the production prototype had different ROMs altogether. After testing the ROMs in my Quicksilver, it didn't make sense to me that the switches didn't match up. So why would they completely change the wiring harness when nothing on the playfield changed?

If the multiball feature works I guess we'll have our answer.

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Had the eproms removed from MPU board and read. The outcome is weird/confusing to say the least. First thing we noticed, the eproms were full and did not look corrupt. We compared them to the Viper eproms and discovered no match. Then we compared them to the prototype LazerLord eproms, it was a perfect match. How is that possible? The thought was the eproms should be unique to this game (LazerLord whitewood). How can eproms work in two games that have very different playfields?

Easily. Just rewire the play field to get it to do what you want. That's essentially what Stern did with the Tron pro vs. LE. play field wiring.

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Then we compared them to the prototype LazerLord eproms, it was a perfect match. How is that possible?

Who knows if a previous owner had swapped the EPROMs.

Since the boards have had a the battery removed and remotely mounted, you know that work has been done recently.

#223 2 years ago

LOL, that was the wrong quote there. I didn't say that.

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

LOL, that was the wrong quote there. I didn't say that.

Fixed it.

#225 2 years ago

Spent nearly 2 hours putting the game together and untangling the mess of wires. Fixed some connectors, tested the power supply, plugged in the MPU and voila, seven flashes. Powered down and plugged everything in but the sound board and player 2, 3 and 4 displays. Looks like a working game. Powered down and plugged the sound board in, we have sounds!

Ran out of time today but watch the video.

Will make a better one and more in depth when I get more lights and solenoids working, but it did do a four ball multi-ball. Don't have the rules down yet, but looks very promising.

IMG_0032 (resized).JPG

IMG_0034 (resized).JPG

#226 2 years ago

Awesome video, thanks for posting! Glad you got the 4-ball multiball working. Maybe there's hope for the code afterall.

#227 2 years ago

Working through the rules, but still need all the lights to work. Now I need to find a switch problem, a diode or cap is bad. After a minute of two it just keeps scoring, looks like switch 19. I did map out all the switches. Switch 19 is the Z spot target.

What I know about the rules as of now:

1. The multi-ball is more like Fireball and less like Mars God of War. That is:
a. One does not have to activate the out-holes, they hold the ball until other things happen.
b. A ball is released from ball trough after one is placed in one of the three out-holes.
c. The balls stay there and do not drain upon ball drain or next player. So you can "steal" the
last players balls. (Ha, Ha) Awesome right?
d. The ball release switches (one is just left of the top three lanes and the other is behind the four bank drop targets, under the large plastic rollover switch) are activated when the three spot targets just right of the top three lanes are hit once each, then one more time hit the one that is flashing or lit (not sure yet). Still working the details out on this. Looks like it releases all balls that are in out-holes (like Mars God of War not like Fireball).
2. Top three lanes/bonus multiplier.
a. No lane changing. (too bad)
b. After one completes all three lanes, one must roll through any of the 9 lanes, lit or not. That is the three at the top or the six out lanes at the bottom. This advances the bonus multiplier.
c. When one passes through one of the three lanes at the top, it lights the corresponding color out lanes for more points.
3. LazerLord spot targets.
a. LazerLord spot targets spell LazerLord and must be hit in order. At game start the first letter is flashing and after being hit the next letter starts flashing and so on. Upon completing LazeLord the red lens lights for a special. To collect the special it looks like you have to hit the letter that is flashing. Will know more soon.
4. Drop targets.
a. Not tested yet but looks like simple rules written on the playfield.
5. Extra flipper buttons are not used for anything. Left there from the Viper game used for the turret.

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

c. The balls stay there and do not drain upon ball drain or next player. So you can "steal" the last players balls. (Ha, Ha) Awesome right?

I don't think that's awesome. Stern Catacomb carries locked balls and I think a local pinball league (I've hosted) complained and ignored the game due to these 'bonus' locked balls for the next competitor. It's fair to note that they appreciate Gottlieb Spirit since it spits the locked balls out when draining. Frustrating to me, yes ... but more fair.

It would be great if 'drain-locked-balls' was an option, imho.

Awesome thread!

#229 2 years ago

I love stealing other player's locked balls in games like Space Shuttle.

Don't lock 'em unless you are good enough use them.....

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

I don't think that's awesome. Stern Catacomb carries locked balls and I think a local pinball league (I've hosted) complained and ignored the game due to these 'bonus' locked balls for the next competitor. It's fair to note that they appreciate Gottlieb Spirit since it spits the locked balls out when draining. Frustrating to me, yes ... but more fair.
It would be great if 'drain-locked-balls' was an option, imho.
Awesome thread!

That may be an option, don't know yet, no rule book. What switch or setting do you think would change that? Also, it is not that hard to get the balls in the out holes. Much harder to release them. Thanks for your comments and help.

#231 2 years ago

Maybe referencing multiball classic Stern 'Game Adjustments', you can change switches see if there's are relevant gameplay differences. There aren't that many to choose from.

Stern_Viper_p8 (resized).jpg
Stern_Catacomb_p8 (resized).jpg

#232 2 years ago

Lock ball rules and carry-over sound similar to lightning as well

Glad to see it up and running, great work!!!

#233 2 years ago

Update: Looks like there was a bad cap on switch 19 (z spot target) all good now. Did some more testing and the captive balls carry over just like Lightning. No adjustment for that. Well none I can see?

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

d. The ball release switches (one is just left of the top three lanes and the other is behind the four bank drop targets, under the large plastic rollover switch) are activated when the three spot targets just right of the top three lanes are hit once each, then one more time hit the one that is flashing or lit (not sure yet). Still working the details out on this. Looks like it releases all balls that are in out-holes (like Mars God of War not like Fireball).

Correction: You must have balls in 1,2 or 3 of the out holes. For every completion of all three spot targets the game lights the ball release lights in order 1,2,3. For every ball release light lit that is how many balls will release upon tripping one of the two ball release switches.

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

1,2 or 3 of the out holes.

Do you mean lock/eject holes? The out hole is usually in reference to the hole that is at the bottom
of the playfield just beyond/past the flippers. I am glad you are saving this piece of pinball history.
Thanks for posting the updates.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Do you mean lock/eject holes?

Yes, Thanks. Also, found that one must put all three balls in the Lock/eject holes before any balls can be released.

1 week later
#237 2 years ago

Ok first let me say this post is not to make anyone look bad but to get opinions from you fine people on pinside. I have sold the lazerlord whitewood to an member here on pinside for an working cybernaut plus $2000 cash. The buyer stressed he was taking a gamble on the eproms being programmed and not corrupt. He said he would hold $500 back until the eproms were tested and no loss of programming. Turns out the the eproms tested full and not corrupt . but they matched the other lazerlord eproms that is on the net for free. The buyer said he is not going to pay me because of that. he said during our messages that it was implied that "the eproms were a one of a kind" and they are not, the programming is on the net for free. We have had ongoing messages on here with no resolve. he does not want to pay me since the eproms were not unique...as he thinks was implied but was never actually written in any of our message or conversations..the deal was...just as stated above...he would withhold the $500 until he got the game home and tested the eproms to being programmed and not corrupt. I have all of the agreement messages we had and will post them on here soon. Im not sure what he is thinking but at the end of the day he is going to end up with a working lazerlord whitewood. Everyone please chime in on this because i want this deal to be done. Like i said above i dont want anyone looking bad but i was hoping to get some advise on this. Thanks Ted

#238 2 years ago

Kind of like I have the powerball numbers but if they don't hit I want my $2 back? Everyone on this thread knew it was a big gamble on the machine and EPROMs. I must have missed something.

#239 2 years ago

The included EPROMs worked, so it sure sounds like he owes you your $500 balance.

If they were bitrotted, he'd have a nice paperweight.....

#240 2 years ago

The buyers message to me.

Hi Ted,

Been thinking about the deal. The biggest risk is the chips (lost programming/game rules). If we knew for sure the programming/game rules were still good I would have no problem with 2k and Cybernaut. With out the programming the game is not worth much, for sure not worth my offer of 1500 and Cybernaut. But if you are willing to take the 1500 and Cybernaut now and the 500 after I have the chips checked for the programming, I can do that. Or take something closer to 1500 and cybernaut and be done? I have the cash on hand and can pack up Cybernaut quickly. By the way my wife was a little upset when I told her I was trading Cybernaut. We got it with another game and she told the guy we would keep them together. Silly thing to tell someone. You will not be unhappy with Cybernaut, it is in great condition and looks almost new. Plays great and has really great sounds. Out all my games it is one of the best. I would say Cybernaut could bring between 1k to 1.5k from what I have seen on ebay. As for traveling, I can drive over this weekend or after work during the week.

Thanks, Ken

#241 2 years ago

My response.

Ok Ken $1500 cash upon pick up plus the cybernaut. And the other $500 due upon chips testing good. I think that would be a fair deal. Im free all weekend but having a party tonight starting around 6pm. My address is XX sunset st. Yorkville Il. 60560. My cell is XXXXXXXX

#242 2 years ago

sounds like he owes $500 to me. it's not your fault they are the same ones from the complete Lazerlord. He still has the unique layout and that the programming works for both is nice. the game is still one of a kind. The other lazerlord is also a 1 of kind. So basically 2 laserlords are both one of a kind.

#243 2 years ago

Yep, taking your story at face value, he owes you 500.

#244 2 years ago

Should have taken the deal another Pinsider I know offered you. You wouldn't have had this issue.

Anyway, agree with Slim here. With the story at face value he owes you the $500. And why all the whining about Cybernaut? He made the decision to part with it and now making you feel guilty for it? Cybernaut may not be very common, but it's also not very desirable. And not difficult to replace should he decide he needs to have one.

#245 2 years ago

Yes i know i could have done things differently but i didnt. That is my bad. I just need to stick to the facts. I didnt want to post in public about this but at this point i have no choice due to him telling me if i said he was "screwing me" one more time he would not talk to me again.

#246 2 years ago

You’re a good guy. Scumbag is trying unto beat you for 500 measly dollars. It’s a shame.

#247 2 years ago

Honestly, I can see both points of view.

On one hand, the seller is saying they worked, so the buyer owes him.

On the other hand, the buyer is saying it was implied that the EPROMs were one-of-a-kind (thus valuable), but they are not one-of-a-kind and are already freely available (and therefore not valuable).

Compromise on $250?

#248 2 years ago

I can see both sides too but that is not was agreed to upon sale of it. i understand he wanted special eproms but that was not the terms of the sale. The eproms are tested as full and un corrupt. At the end of the day he will have a full working lazerlord whitewood with full programmed eproms.

#249 2 years ago

Oh and back to the the facts. I never said or implied the eproms were a one of a kind.

#250 2 years ago

After all this I want a laser lord backglass...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 7,599.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 99.00
$ 999.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside