Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5638 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5637 (resized).JPG
    Fortune_Teller (resized).jpg
    100 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 3.30.57 PM (resized).png
    20170907_181515 (resized).jpg
    20170907_181451 (resized).jpg
    20170907_160200 (resized).jpg
    20170907_160148 (resized).jpg
    20170906_160921 (resized).jpg
    20170906_160847 (resized).jpg
    20170905_144930 (resized).jpg
    20170905_144913 (resized).jpg
    20170905_144858 (resized).jpg
    20170905_144837 (resized).jpg
    20170905_144823 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classic_stern.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

We talk a lot about making a group buy, couple hardcore collector here in canada to duplicated it and make a couple working pins from it... i already built a stargazer from scratch, so it's something we can handle. But since we don't know if the pin work and the roms are ok... it's a big risk to buy without seeing it. The seller is pretty far from us to have a quick look at it

Hope someone will buy it in the optics of have it work

I would buy it and take it to TPF like I do my Gamatron whitewood and doing with the Andromeda whitewood. Both whitewoods and production games. The game needs to be working at a show. That is what I talked to Ted about.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I think this is hard core collector stuff. People that are worrying about having room in their gameroom aren't the people that are gonna be interested in this pin. It was the great shoulda, coulda, woulda from Stern Electronics and the name Lazer Lord is well known in the collector's circle. I couldn't venture a guess at price because this is the only known whitewood to ever come up for sale. It depends who wants it the most and I think it will be handled privately.

Like you said. Its a legit whitewood and you have got to want this stuff. I currently have the Gamatron Whitewood and Steve Kirks original game and also just got the Andromeda Whitewood which I was aware of because an old business partner ended up pulling it from Gameplan when they went out of business. I have also at one point had all of the Brooks and Dunn stuff which is long gone. This type of stuff is not for everyone and to get it running is another mess. This LL is a neat piece. I have been fortunate to have all of Steve Kirk's Gamatron stuff and very fortunate to get back the Andromeda whitewood which will be at the TPF with an original working example also like the Gamatron games this year. I also have the 2nd run print of the Gamatron playfield which would be kinda cool to be in a game at some point. Anyway this is fascinating stuff to me. I should of just bought the original when I had the chance.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. History lesson: Pizza Hut, you know, that Pizza Hut, with stuffed crust and all that jazz was founded in my town by two brothers in 1958. It was a little bitty old building that was part of the reason "Hut" became part of the name. This building was originally located about 3 miles from me on the highway going through town. Around 1978 or 1979 the city was planning on moving and widening the highway so the original Pizza Hut building was slated to be torn down, or otherwise in someway disposed of.
    +++++++++++++++
    I started my first college class in 1979. It was a class on Entrepreneurship. The professor was going nuts over this Pizza Hut building and wanted it on campus as a historical piece. The class consisted of lots or lectures by different local businessmen. Frank Carney, one of the co-founding brothers was a guess speaker.
    During question and answer session a student asked Frank if he had any nostalgic memories of his start up building and was he going to contribute any money to help pay for re-location. This is what he said (loosely quoted), "I burned my hands on the oven too many times and bumped my head on (whatever it was) to have any fond memories of that building. I have a business to run and I'm interested in looking to the future as opposed to living in the past". The words were something along these lines. He was not interested in the building.
    As stated, the professor was interested and managed to get the building moved to campus where it sits to this day.
    History lesson over.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    Gary Stern is probably the same way about these old Stern pins. He is probably too busy to play any of them. Running the business is probably all of the action he needs.
    When you are building or selling something you are not usually too interested on collecting what ever it is you are selling. A couple of car dealer friends on mine like to collect the old cars and speculate that they might be worth lots of money years from now but most are happy to turn the car fast, make a decent profit, and pay the bills right now. The monthly nut never goes away. The future is out there somewhere.
    Ask Levi. I'd be willing to bet of all the pins he has sold that one or two have appreciated wildly in price and are now worth a fortune but when he sold a long time ago he reinvested and bought another pin and resold that pin and reinvested and the cumulative profits over the years probably equal or exceed the "fortune he could have made" by sitting on that one machine.
    So, while we get all lathered up about an obscure pinball machine, Gary Stern is busy running his business today. Besides, didn't he get a divorce and his ex-wife wind up with most, or all, of the company's assets? If so, that could really leave a sour taste in his/your mouth.
    I can see why he couldn't care less about these old Sterns.

When he plays them at the Texas Pinball Festival he is fascinated but not like he wants to talk about reproduction and definitely doesn't know much about any of them. He has moved on and that is OK. The Gamatron whitewood though he knows. Oh so well.

#107 6 years ago

That is some bad damage. Been sitting in water somewhere. Is the back glass salvageable ? Looks in pretty poor shape and also missing pieces in the corner. Again everything fixable but a labor of love. Widebody stern cabinets are widely available but the backglass is a gut kick.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

That is very sad for sure. It really takes it from something very collectable down to not much better then a parts machine. Not that someone couldn't save it but value wise it is really nothing special with all that damage. Very sad for the pinball community to see that condition but also very sad for the seller now that so many of us raised his expectations of the value.
    I am not blaming the seller for not realizing just how much difference those issues make but at this point I really don't see a ton of value their. In my eyes that machine just went from $3000 to $6000 range down to he will be lucky to get $1000 out of it and $500 to $750 is likely more realistic. VERY SAD for everyone for sure!
    It kind of reminds me of the guy that finds a 1963 Split Window Corvette in a barn and thinks it is worth a half a million dollars because one sold for $700,000 fully restored at auction last year. When in fact that barn find Corvette isn't worth much over $20,000 or $30,000 because motor is missing - frame is bad - etc. So sad to see but it is still part of pinball history and it would be nice to see it saved.

I really wish he would have sold it to you Clay - you would have been the perfect guy to save it!

When I bought the Gamatron whitewood it was just a playfield and no backglass. It was in a stack of stuff. I had to return it to its former glory which are the pictures on IPDB. The Andromeda whitewood is ready to be returned to its former glory for the 2018 TPF. It is like when it was at the Game Plan factory in the Captain Hook cabinet and I was able to save the backglass which is no different then the production model but was an NOS when it got last sold. I have been able to get it running (Not reliable yet). You guys will be able to play these 4 games at the TPF in 2018. I will still make an offer on this to Ted. It still has some value but it must be picked up to keep the glass in tact and attempt to keep from losing more artwork. Glad it has been saved and brought forth by Ted.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from Carnacki:

I do have the original Lazer Lord. In near perfect and working condition.
    There are some misconceptions floating around that I can help solve.
    The Lazer Lord is not an 'exact' Quicksilver playfield.
    It is very close though, so close that I didn't notice for one year.
    Some of the angles are different, different enough to be planned and significant.
    Additionally, it has a prototype flipper mechanism in it unlike any other known Stern Pinball.
    I don't play the game much or travel with it for that reason. (it is irreplaceable - although I would like to duplicate the mechanism - it is unique and quite clever)
    The flippers do seem to work better than the same era Stern and Bally Flippers.
    (someday I'll put in standard flipper mechs and bring it to a show - locals have seen and played as well as traveling pinball players - so -unlike what some people have mentioned - I do show the machine to ANY pinball player in the area and players traveling through who want to stop by). Those people smart enough to play it very gently have done so.
    Also there is a location sticker on it, so it is clear that the game was out at a test location.
    It was bought at Stern Electronics along with all of the equipment sold at bankruptcy.
    The machine was on the Stern Electronics premises.
    (It has an interesting history)
    There has been a message to Ted re buying the game, but there has been only one response then Crickets
    - I'm sure that he is overwhelmed by tire kickers with some serious buyers
    - And he is having trouble telling the difference between the two

I have offered to put some different mechs on it at the show and also have asked about pictures of the mechs. You can always put a different glass in it since it is the most precious part. We will work with what ever it would take to do so. You could even put a Quicksilver glass in it, different flippers and bring it to TPF. I can help with all of that. This is still open. We can also help bring it there. Would be cool to see at 2018. Are you in Lincoln ? I thought you were in Wisc.? Myself and Dothedoo are easily avaliable to come by since we are both from there and he lives there.

We bring alot of rare ; one of a kind stuff out to shows. Just have to reduce risk. Even having it play with different flipper mechs would be great. Let us know. Remember Robs NOS everything Iron Maiden. Glass, Playfields etc. it survived. We watched it like no other game. My Gamatron's and Andromeda's and both WW will be there this year. Consider bringing it without he glass. Well help.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I have offered to put some different mechs on it at the show and also have asked about pictures of the mechs. You can always put a different glass in it since it is the most precious part. We will work with what ever it would take to do so. You could even put a Quicksilver glass in it, different flippers and bring it to TPF. I can help with all of that. This is still open. We can also help bring it there. Would be cool to see at 2018. Are you in Lincoln ? I thought you were in Wisc.? Myself and Dothedoo are easily avaliable to come by since we are both from there and he lives there.
    We bring alot of rare ; one of a kind stuff out to shows. Just have to reduce risk. Even having it play with different flipper mechs would be great. Let us know. Remember Robs NOS everything Iron Maiden. Glass, Playfields etc. it survived. We watched it like no other game. My Gamatron's and Andromeda's and both WW will be there this year. Consider bringing it without the glass. Well help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classic_stern.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lazer-lord-prototype?tu=classic_stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.