(Topic ID: 169108)

Lawman/Sherriff club...western theme pin fans welcome.

By Masspinballfan

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Ace24
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2677 (resized).jpeg
2708FBA6-8BCF-4C10-AEA3-EF80BEF807DA (resized).jpeg
77E24BF4-BACA-4295-969F-CF6F8B2C0025 (resized).jpeg
CCEEE4B0-1373-4BA6-92F5-8A14713AFDAE (resized).jpeg
20170516_175440 (resized).jpg
Lawman flyer (resized).jpg
IMG_20160822_160542858 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160820_181955342 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160904_140505984 (resized).jpg
Stampede backbox (resized).jpg
Gun Smoke backbox (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

This will be a smaller club for sure. But Lawman is my grail game (loved it as a kid in the 70s) and I finally scored one two years ago and had it completely restored mechanically. Mine could use a better Backglass and the cabinet is original still but I care more about the actual game play and mine plays fantastic.

It's a great fast game and I couldn't be happier to have one of my own. Any other happy Lawman/Sherriff owners out here?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

I guess no one else owns a Lawman/Sherriff? Maybe we need to add Bronco, Fast Draw/Quick Draw for more Western Theme pin fans.

#3 7 years ago

No, you are not exactly alone. I have been on the hunt for a decent Lawman in the Southern California area. But they always have wasted back glasses.

And another SoCal friend wants a sheriff but they seem extremely rare for SoCal. There are a few titles that seem to favor the 2 player version in quantities. King Kool is another that seems to out number King Rock in SoCal.

I know I am in the minority and prefer Lawman over Atlantis.

I fell back in Love with Lawman a few years ago playing Tim's excellent example at the PHOF a number of years ago. Sadly, on my last visit, it didn't play so well anymore.

#4 7 years ago

Any guy named Cactus Jack should have a Lawman if he wants one! Yea my b/g has the wear in the Cowboys pants but it's been touched up gently. We laugh and call it mud on his pants. The rest of the b/g is flawless though. I'd grab a repro if anyone ever produced one.

Mine plays far better, faster, and much harder than the one i played as a kid on location. Getting all the horseshoe drops on one ball is very difficult but rewarding when it can be accomplished.

#5 7 years ago

I own a Lawman that I was fortunate to find locally on Craigslist and has an excellent backglass to boot. Unfortunately, it's in my project queue awaiting a playfield repaint and total shopping. I'm looking forward to having it side by side with my Quick Draw (another project) some day though!

#6 7 years ago

I'm on the hunt for a Rancho. Love the theme and gameplay.

#7 7 years ago

Rancho looks like a fun western theme game for sure. I've never played one as of yet. And Quick Draw/Fast Draw is on my wish list. I know the kick out holes seem random but you need to nudge the ball in there much like a flipperless Woodrail. And getting ABC is tough. The last black DT for 5K points is a real nice feature. You get the same payoff of 5K points plus a free game if you can knock down all the DTs in Lawman/Sherriff.

We need to add Bow and Arrow to the western theme club as well. Great player and nice artwork.

#8 7 years ago

Not that it is a great player but I always liked the Gunsmoke button of Chicago Coins Gunsmoke. A feature they revived from Twinky.

#9 7 years ago

Gunsmoke looks interesting but yea I could see it being a dud as a player. It might be much like Wild Wild West (GTB 69) which I haven't played yet but it doesn't look like a great player. I don't care for vari target games. It's really hard to push the plunger forward and it's usually an instant drain shot if you miss it.

#10 7 years ago

I played a Gun Smoke at the NW Pinball Show two or three years ago. Like most Chicago Coin pinball games, it wasn't the most exciting player, but it was kind of cool due to the artwork and the traveling backglass score (of 50 - 500) that you had to time hitting the "Gun Smoke button" to select. I recall it being in decent shape, for sale at around $1,200, and selling fairly quickly.

Gun Smoke backbox (resized).jpgGun Smoke backbox (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Another Chicago Coin game that's a worthy addition to any western themed collection due to its artwork - Stampede:

Stampede backbox (resized).jpgStampede backbox (resized).jpg

I picked up one of these off of eBay a few years ago and restored it for a friend's collection. He LOVES it! And he even plays it once in a while.

#12 7 years ago

Cool club! I love Fast Draw. Hoping to find a Wild Wild West one day. Going to be a long search

#13 7 years ago

Stampede looks interesting. Btw Sterns Rawhide fits the western theme as well. Does not look like a great player though.

#14 7 years ago

I would love to have a Sheriff or Lawman next to my QuickDraw.

#15 7 years ago

Check my response. Rawhide and Stampede has the same p/f..2 and 4 player.

#16 7 years ago

Hougie id love to add a QD/FD and put it next to my Lawman! Both great looking and playing western themed GTB EMs.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Masspinballfan:

Hougie id love to add a QD/FD and put it next to my Lawman! Both great looking and playing western themed GTB EMs.

I have had this image in my head for years and it's one of the reasons that I always kept an eye out for a Lawman after picking up a Quick Draw. I think that a Big Brave would look cool with these too for a 3-game western themed Gordon Morison artwork set!

#18 7 years ago

Oh definitely. Big Brave/Indian fits into this club. And Big Brave is very underrated. The long shots to the upper drops are great shots. The outlanes are viscous. And ok it might have a politically incorrect theme but the Morrison artwork on this title is fantabulous!

#19 7 years ago

Just played my friends nice BB a couple of nights ago. Definitely as Great as I remember it being from the 70s. On only the second game, rolled it 120,000ish but wasn't enough to beat his current H S of 129,000. That we be another day.

#20 7 years ago

new Sheriff owner. it was horribly dirty before. i replaced pop bumpers, cleaned playfield, new rubbers. recently have been fixing the "alternating" lights. i think they are FINALLY correct. next is the "horseshoe" lights. they do not reset properly. i also bought ten springs for the ten drop downs, hope thatll make them all great.

but all in all, i thought this was a game i would not fall in love with. i thought i would flip it once cleaned. I can now say i dont think i will ever want this game to leave me. IT IS AWESOME.

IMG_20160904_140505984 (resized).jpgIMG_20160904_140505984 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160820_181955342 (resized).jpgIMG_20160820_181955342 (resized).jpg

edit: question:
it seems thru pics of other games that drop downs should be white with horseshoes. was that the only drop downs on sheriff/lawman? mine are obviously red/blue/green/yellow/ with stars. i don't mind it, but very curious if its absolutely NOT how any game should be direct from gottlieb.

#21 7 years ago

obviously the best part of the back glass.

IMG_20160822_160542858 (resized).jpgIMG_20160822_160542858 (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

question: it seems thru pics of other games that drop downs should be white with horseshoes. was that the only drop downs on sheriff/lawman? mine are obviously red/blue/green/yellow/ with stars. i don't mind it, but very curious if its absolutely NOT how any game should be direct from gottlieb.

Yes - the correct original drop targets for Lawman and Sheriff are white with blue horseshoes. The multi-colored star drops that you currently have on your game were used on 2001/Dimension and various other Gottlieb games.

Lawman flyer (resized).jpgLawman flyer (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

thats what i thought i will probably purchase the new ones eventually from marco. i do not mind the colored ones for now though.

#24 7 years ago

Barry I saw your other thread. I'm glad you have your Sherriff up and running. It's a great game. I'd definitely order the white horseshoe drop targets from Pinball Resource. It will make your game look original and they just look better obviously.

8 months later
#25 6 years ago

Well, I'm new to the hobby and chose Game Plan's Sharp Shooter as my first pin. So I guess I'm in the club now

I was thinking a few more Western themed pins and I could just pump the scores to some classic Westerns (or Spaghetti Westerns) in the background and let 'em roll! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly anyone?

20170516_175440 (resized).jpg20170516_175440 (resized).jpg

3 years later
#26 3 years ago

This was my grail game as well. The first pin I ever played as a kid, my Aunt and Uncle had one in their basement. Never part with it, but I can’t get that damn horseshoe to fire right

2708FBA6-8BCF-4C10-AEA3-EF80BEF807DA (resized).jpeg2708FBA6-8BCF-4C10-AEA3-EF80BEF807DA (resized).jpeg77E24BF4-BACA-4295-969F-CF6F8B2C0025 (resized).jpeg77E24BF4-BACA-4295-969F-CF6F8B2C0025 (resized).jpegCCEEE4B0-1373-4BA6-92F5-8A14713AFDAE (resized).jpegCCEEE4B0-1373-4BA6-92F5-8A14713AFDAE (resized).jpeg
2 years later
#27 10 months ago

Fun game! And tough to beat on score or special. I just moved the left out lane post to liberal and now I think I have a good balance of challenge and playability.

IMG_2677 (resized).jpegIMG_2677 (resized).jpegIMG_2682 (resized).jpegIMG_2682 (resized).jpeg
#28 10 months ago

I own a lawman and A fast draw . western themed games i also own a Bow and Arrow , Big Brave and a Golden Arrow

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

I own a lawman and A fast draw . western themed games i also own a Bow and Arrow , Big Brave and a Golden Arrow

I had a Fast Draw for years. It’s a great game! The other western pin I have now is Flipper Cowboy.

#30 10 months ago

Fast Draw is on my list.

As per my avatar, you can see my first pin.

#31 10 months ago

Here’s something interesting: A Gottlieb home pinball prototype version of Texas Ranger.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lawmansherriff-clubwestern-theme-pin-fans-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.