Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

I wasn't really a huge Ritchie fan until I "got" AC/DC, now I completely respect his work, the guy is a genius!

#52 11 years ago

Both are very talented at what they do; and both often re-use their strengths in games. Ritchie has very fast, linear shots and in later games mode-stacking for points. Lawlor builds an array of locations a prizes one can build, and has a family friendly leaning. I have noticed people are less upset when they leave a Lawlor game than a Ritchie game.

One game from either designer would be a good machine--even their worst machines are still alright.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Don1:

I enjoy playing Ritchies tables more, but that's because I'm not skilled enough to play a Lawlor table to it's full potential.

Ding Ding Ding. Me too! I love both designers but probably enjoy Ritchie games more because of my skill level.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Both. If you choose, you lose.
    Barry Oursler for the win.

I'll go with Barry Oursler as well.

#55 11 years ago

Lawlor has two of my favorite games; TAF and FGY. Ritchie has a hit with ACDC.

If someone came up to me and said ill give you a TAF AND FGY or an ACDC prem. which would you want? I'd probably go with ACDC!

So while I believe lawlor has a more variety of better games than Ritchie.....Ritchie will always have ACDC.

#56 11 years ago

Truth be told, John Trudeau is my fav. I own 3 of his pins, am looking for a 4th, and wish he had designed more DMDs in the 90s.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

Truth be told, John Trudeau is my fav. I own 3 of his pins, am looking for a 4th, and wish he had designed more DMDs in the 90s.

+1

I hope we hear more about 'Forbidden Planet': http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-treadeaus-forbidden-planet

... but Ritchie does rock, and his games were ground-breaking at the time. High Speed saved pinball. No question he is the 'King'.

Lawlor is okay. Not a stop-n-go fan.

#58 11 years ago

Glad we don't have to pick just one! Both are pretty great designers...if someone put a gun to my head and I had to pick I'd probably go PL only because his designs have a little more variety and creativity to them. SR is all about the fan layout for speed and flow.

EDIT: I think Dennis Nordman is the man when it comes to creative designs. All of his games are totally different.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You think Gomez has had a bigger impact on Pinball than Lawlor? Seriously?

no. I like gomez games. chill out.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

no. I like gomez games. chill out.

ha sorry if that came out aggressive. I realize the thread turned into who do you like more other than the original question. no worries.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

ha sorry if that came out aggressive. I realize the thread turned into who do you like more other than the original question. no worries.

#62 11 years ago

Ritchie, for sure.

#63 11 years ago

Ritchie.

#64 11 years ago

This is mark Ritchie right?

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

This is mark Ritchie right?

Yeah! Firepower...............2

#66 11 years ago

Steve Ritchie changed pinball forever. Firepower formed the basis for modern pin play. Pat Lawlor is a copy cat scoundrel.

#67 11 years ago

Be honest KC, tell us how you really feel

#68 11 years ago

no poll? I own games from both people, but I prefer Lawlor because he has unique designs. Steve likes fan patterns, which i'm sick of. Jpop is at least creative with a 2 flipper setup.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no poll? I own games from both people, but I prefer Lawlor because he has unique designs. Steve likes fan patterns, which i'm sick of. Jpop is at least creative with a 2 flipper setup.

Both guys copy themselves a lot, really.

#70 11 years ago

oh yea they do. Can't argue with that one. First games I wanted when I first started collecting, was FH, ES, TAF, and TZ. When I got them all, I realized they all felt like the same game and not much diversity. It was then I realized they were all designed by the same guy. No matter who you like. You can't have to many games from the same designer. To much of the same thing. Just like my TF and LOTR. THey are almost identical except the playfields are flipped. Luckily the rules are completely different. But I wouldn't want another layout like that in my collection. Not unless my collection was around 30 pins.

Be thankful we have as many different designers as we have. They all contribute something special to the games we love.

#71 11 years ago

Add a poll!!! I like SR games better myself. I'm a fan of 2 flippers and a fan layout myself. Most Lawlor games have that pesky 3rd flipper. I'm just not a fan of it.

#72 11 years ago

TAF and NGG are here to stay for me... I am going with Lawlor

#73 11 years ago

Love 'em both, but Lawlor's games resonate with me.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

I really like his games too.....but for this thread, I have to side with Pat L over Steve R by a thin margin

#75 11 years ago

The King of Flow vs The King of Stop & Go.

Hmmmm......

#76 11 years ago

I'm a Lawlor guy

RBION, FGY, TSPP, RS & TZ are awesome (to me).

AF is loved by many, me not so much though.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The King of Flow vs The King of Stop & Go.

Back in 2004, Lawlor was usually considered the best.

"It's a Lawlor game", was how they said it. (showing acceptance of the title)

Seems like now that he is out of the picture and not producing games, he's kicked to the curb.

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Seems like now that he is out of the picture and not producing games....

I think that's only because no one can afford to pay Lawlor's salary anymore.

#79 11 years ago

My first love was High Speed. I'm going with Ritchie.

#80 11 years ago

SR

#81 11 years ago

But I would love to see more Lawlor pins in the future, he is also great.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Both guys copy themselves a lot, really.

If you want a designer who doesn't do this much, go with Nordman.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lawlor-or-ritchie/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.