3470151-1.jpg
IMG_2644 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0776 (resized).jpeg
Lava lamp pop up (resized).jpeg
IMG_3384 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3248 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0658 (resized).jpeg
Gal (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12-03-20 10 Cool Lava Lamps you will Love - iD Lights (resized).png
IMG_20230915_120031.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 3 years ago

I bought a Mathmos and had it shipped here a few months ago. You just have to use a third party shipper that gives you a UK address to have Matnos send it to them. I need to convert it to 110v still. Kinda forgot about it. I’ll get to that.

#26 3 years ago

The brand we are stuck with in the US is fairly junkish, and the big issue with the “lava” is the absence of a particular chemical here. It makes them very, very temperamental. Typically, they end up getting too hot and your lava just stays afloat and doesn’t circulate.

The best solution I have found for the US sold models is to use a dimmer switch cord with them, and dial in the temperature that your lamp runs best on. Also, the bigger models tend to be easier to regulate. The smallest ones are useless b/c they heat up too much to allow the lava to cool at all.

I use these with good results:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00024BJZE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_I-woFbFZT6DP0

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Thanks for the info. I am going to do the same thing.

I used Forward2Me, and it worked great. Of course it was pre-COVID. But still.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Thanks for the info. I am going to do the same thing.

Mathmos has the purple liquid/orange lava in stock now. They were sold out for a long time. I wanted one of those in bronze. Check out that combo.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Ordered two originals...
Black - Violet with orange lava
Copper - Blue with blue lava
Two pod candle lava lamps...
Blue with yellow lava & Yellow with orange lava

Awesome. Yes, just keep an eye on it to see when Forward2Me receives it. It took a few days for them to log it and mark it as ready to ship. Then you just pay and they send it out to you. If I remember right it was really quick to go from Mathmos to F2M. Like two days I think.

2 weeks later
#81 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Mine arrived last Friday. Mathmos are worth the extra cost to me. Very nice right out of the box with no issues.
Forwrad2me was 2 day shipping. Very fast and had no issues.
I like them so much I have ordered some more.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! You got those converted to 110v quick, too.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

If you don't mind, could you give a dumb guy like me a quick how-to on buying a lamp from Mathmos and shipping it here to the states? I'd appreciate it.

Create an account on Forward 2 Me. Order from Mathmos and have it shipped to the UK address that F2M lists. When they get it, pay F2M and they ship it to you.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

My next question is this; do I need to worry about Pounds to dollars or is it an automatic conversion by my bank or PayPal? Never bought directly from a UK site before.

Automatically converts from the . Your bank might charge you an international conversion fee of a buck or two on top.

1 week later
#104 3 years ago

How does the purple/orange look in person? I want one of those but wondered if the orange was washed out or thin looking in the purple liquid.

1 month later
#126 3 years ago

Mathmos sold the license to US sales in entirety to Lava Lite. I don’t know how Mathmos could possibly sell to the US direct without repurchasing that right. Or without Lava Lite going under.

Lava Lite does not use the same formula for the “lava” that Mathmos developed, either. There is an ingredient in the Mathmos formula that is particularly expensive and that the US requires special handling of, that Lava Lite doesn’t bother with. It matters.

2 weeks later
#130 3 years ago

That's cool.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lava-lamps?tu=gambit3113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.