3470151-1.jpg
IMG_2644 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0776 (resized).jpeg
Lava lamp pop up (resized).jpeg
IMG_3384 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3248 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0658 (resized).jpeg
Gal (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 12-03-20 10 Cool Lava Lamps you will Love - iD Lights (resized).png
IMG_20230915_120031.jpg
There are 607 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

So if I buy direct from Mathmos, I have to buy some sort of 110 converter?

Yes or change out the cord assembly and bulb. I went with a 240 transformer from Grainger so that the lamps stay original.

It is my understanding that the Neo line is already 110 capable. You just need to change out the power cord with the plug to an US plug. $10 from Best Buy.

#102 3 years ago

I have a ketchup lava lamp that my son won at Golfland around 12 years ago.

D9AE9E9A-4EAC-406E-A9D6-C69020131EF4.jpegD9AE9E9A-4EAC-406E-A9D6-C69020131EF4.jpeg
#103 3 years ago

Latest editions to my collection. Mathmos really are the best!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#104 3 years ago

How does the purple/orange look in person? I want one of those but wondered if the orange was washed out or thin looking in the purple liquid.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

How does the purple/orange look in person? I want one of those but wondered if the orange was washed out or thin looking in the purple liquid.

I love the violet/orange bottle. It’s like the violet/red but orange at the bottom of the lamp when next to the bulb and more like volcano lava you might see on television. As the orange lava on the bottom rises, it changes to a red color like the violet/red bottle due to the color mix of violet and orange if that makes sense. I have a hard time getting a good photo of it.

I liked it so much, I bought a backup bottle for future use in case they stop making the color combination. It is one of my favorites. I also like the yellow/orange combination and goes good next to the violet/orange.

For the Astro baby I like the yellow/red color combination. It has a much brighter red than the other reds due to the light yellow color mix.

In the Neo line, I like the violet/turquoise combination. The violet/pink is also very nice.

#106 3 years ago

had to join in the fun

lava 2 (resized).jpglava 2 (resized).jpg
#107 3 years ago

3 weeks later
#108 3 years ago

Recently received my newest Neo’s. I have two Neo’s already in my office and wanted some for the family room. I like the Astros the best!

Still waiting for the iO I ordered a while back.

33B0519D-F596-4A30-A280-AAA0861F5E3F (resized).jpeg33B0519D-F596-4A30-A280-AAA0861F5E3F (resized).jpegBBD42F15-AFED-442F-954B-BD0905D39877 (resized).jpegBBD42F15-AFED-442F-954B-BD0905D39877 (resized).jpeg
#109 3 years ago

This thread makes me want to get a lava lamp now. Hmm, where to put it?

#110 3 years ago

Trivia time. I saw this posting and the brand name "Mathmos". I suspected what the source of the name was, having seen a certain movie about 50 years ago. Yes, their company is named for the bubbling creature living under the city in the movie "Barbarella" starring Jane Fonda. There was another noteworthy name to come out of this film: the scientist whom Barbarella was trying to find was named Durand Durand. Duran Duran the band named themselves after that character, albeit dropping the ending "d". The movie is definitely not high class, but it's amusing and some of the music is good.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

Trivia time. I saw this posting and the brand name "Mathmos". I suspected what the source of the name was, having seen a certain movie about 50 years ago. Yes, their company is named for the bubbling creature living under the city in the movie "Barbarella" starring Jane Fonda. There was another noteworthy name to come out of this film: the scientist whom Barbarella was trying to find was named Durand Durand. Duran Duran the band named themselves after that character, albeit dropping the ending "d". The movie is definitely not high class, but it's amusing and some of the music is good.

Well done, I knew about the Duran Duran connection but not this. Great trivia. That movie is way out there that’s for sure.

#112 3 years ago

If only the good ones shipped to the US, and even then, to California. Continuing the hunt down the rabbit hole...

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

If only the good ones shipped to the US, and even then, to California. Continuing the hunt down the rabbit hole...

Just buy them from Mathmos. That is what I have done.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

I knew about the name being from the movie, but I never heard of the Duran Duran connection. Cool.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

I think you can now register to be notified when Mathmos will begin shipping the US and Canada.

https://www.mathmos.com/mathmos-usa.html

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think you can now register to be notified when Mathmos will begin shipping the US and Canada.

Thanks, yeah, I’ve registered, hoping to see some of that glow ship to these parts one day soon.

Going to keep digging...

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Just buy them from Mathmos. That is what I have done.

No shipping to US yet unfortunately. Doubt Amazon UK will show me love.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

No shipping to US yet unfortunately. Doubt Amazon UK will show me love.

Read this post...it explains how you can buy them from the U.K.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lavalamps/comments/izo6ai/okay_so_you_are_interested_in_knowing_how_to/

#119 3 years ago

just went through it, and see you have a nice collection and the way to get them. sounds like bulk would be the way to make it worth it. Dru needs to consider this. I do like some of those color combos you’ve shown.

Including the price of lamp, shipping, F2M, fees, taxes, and power conversion, what do you estimate you pay per new lamp?

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

just went through it, and see you have a nice collection and the way to get them. sounds like bulk would be the way to make it worth it. Dru needs to consider this. I do like some of those color combos you’ve shown.
Including the price of lamp, shipping, F2M, fees, taxes, and power conversion, what do you estimate you pay per new lamp?

Roughly, $175 for a Neo with power cord. No transformer required.

$165 per Astro then $40 for a transformer. Shipping is cheaper when bought in bulk. Buy a big transformer and use it for several lamps with a power strip.

#121 3 years ago

Thanks for all the info you've provided, much appreciated.

1 week later
#122 3 years ago

Kind of on topic on a brand technicality: Anyone have a wave motion machine? Looks like Lava Brand used to make them a few years back along with those Lava Lamps but I can’t find any.

Only wave motion machines I can find are made by a company called Hugh Wave Motion. They look pretty cool but pricy. At their price I’d rather have a Mathmos shipped.

Mathmos killing me not selling in the US.

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Well I tried this and there is no indication it did anything when I hit subscribe, no confirmation email or change to screen, so not sure if the fill in form is working ... Would much rather get one already on 110 if possible if they are seriously considering US/Canada direct sales.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Well I tried this and there is no indication it did anything when I hit subscribe, no confirmation email or change to screen, so not sure if the fill in form is working ... Would much rather get one already on 110 if possible if they are seriously considering US/Canada direct sales.

The Neo line will work on 110vac. But they are no Astro’s! The Astro is my favorite.

My iO is supposed to be shipped soon. Been waiting 2 months for it.

Yeah, they collect names for the US list. But they will not say why they are not selling them in the US. You can still purchase them though. But it is not cheap.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Only wave motion machines I can find are made by a company called Hugh Wave Motion. They look pretty cool but pricy. At their price I’d rather have a Mathmos shipped.

Hughes is the only decent ones made in the US. Very pricey. You can buy a Smithsonian, but they are cheaply made and prone to leaking.

#126 3 years ago

Mathmos sold the license to US sales in entirety to Lava Lite. I don’t know how Mathmos could possibly sell to the US direct without repurchasing that right. Or without Lava Lite going under.

Lava Lite does not use the same formula for the “lava” that Mathmos developed, either. There is an ingredient in the Mathmos formula that is particularly expensive and that the US requires special handling of, that Lava Lite doesn’t bother with. It matters.

#127 3 years ago

Well, after reading through this thread I had no choice but to go and dig it out of storage.

20201023_220020 (resized).jpg20201023_220020 (resized).jpg
#128 3 years ago

My original old 1997 high school Lava Lite (clear/green) on the right, and a couple of Schylling Lava Lamps I bought for cheap on Amazon.
I can tell a difference in the wax, but I’m usually too inebriated to notice while in that room to justify spending the prices to import the real deal or hope for the best on an eBay sale.

As you Lava Lads already know, pics don’t do these vibez justice, colors wash out and aren’t captured accurately.

BC70AE33-655E-44D1-B01F-9FFA79E54DE1 (resized).jpegBC70AE33-655E-44D1-B01F-9FFA79E54DE1 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#129 3 years ago

My iO finally arrived. It is the last of the chrome versions now that Mathmos has switched to a matt silver finish.

62C10AB6-2783-4500-AC49-9FE32F06FD7D (resized).jpeg62C10AB6-2783-4500-AC49-9FE32F06FD7D (resized).jpegB9DE79D8-59B9-424F-9A57-9A2D1B39386D (resized).jpegB9DE79D8-59B9-424F-9A57-9A2D1B39386D (resized).jpeg
#130 3 years ago

That's cool.

1 week later
#131 3 years ago

#132 3 years ago

I just came to post the same video. I guess YouTube has us in their algorithm

#133 3 years ago

FYI: If anyone is looking for the 27 inch lava lamp they are on sale today on Amazon for $79 instead of $102:

Lava the Original 27-Inch Silver Base Grande Lamp with Yellow Wax in Purple Liquid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MWSW2I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_-nQVFb0J6VQE1

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

FYI: If anyone is looking for the 27 inch lava lamp they are on sale today on Amazon for $79 instead of $102:
Lava the Original 27-Inch Silver Base Grande Lamp with Yellow Wax in Purple Liquid amazon.com link »

This is also a great time to have a lava lamp shipped, since outdoor temperatures are low.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Lava the Original 27-Inch Silver Base Grande Lamp with Yellow Wax in Purple Liquid amazon.com link »

Thanks for the info ... I ordered one.

Just found this thread ... love my lava lamps!

#136 3 years ago

Here's my collection. One a gift and two picked up from roadside clean outs.

20180411_203759 (resized).jpg20180411_203759 (resized).jpg
#137 3 years ago

This video is awesome.

#138 3 years ago

Lavalamps help keeping the internet secure!

#139 3 years ago

So this thread inspirired me to buy the 24" lamp off Amazon. It took about 7 hours to heat up cause it was in the cold but it is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So this thread inspirired me to buy the 24" lamp off Amazon. It took about 7 hours to heat up cause it was in the cold but it is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

Yeah I just bought the 27” blue/yellow one from Amazon thanks to this thread.

Thanks for helping me spend my money guys

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It took about 7 hours to heat up cause it was in the cold but it is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

Throw a towel over it to help it heat up

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

OK that was interesting!

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

Throw a towel over it to help it heat up

Great tip thanks!

So my large lamp is kinda cloudy out of the box. The smaller one I purchased was also cloudy when I received it but now is clear. Any tips on helping get this large one to clear up or is it just time?

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Lava lamp physics used for cryptographic RNGs? That's awesome! More random than all the 4Chan memes combined!

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Great tip thanks!
So my large lamp is kinda cloudy out of the box. The smaller one I purchased was also cloudy when I received it but now is clear. Any tips on helping get this large one to clear up or is it just time?

they need to run 5 or 6 times to function properly

#146 3 years ago

And ... their back!!

I hesitated just 24 hours on pulling the trigger on a chome giant IO - the next day they were out of stock
This was about 2 months ago and boom - this morning I got notified they are back in stock
Well, chrome is gone for good but matt black is a brand new offer and if you order one now - you get a numbered version

First time for me using my new UK address from forward2me
I ordered the red blob with violet liquid - nice color combo with matt black
Screenshot 2020-12-04 075328 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-12-04 075328 (resized).png

... just saw the USD conversion charge on my Amex
Whoa - $531 dollars US ... and still need to pay to ship it!

Anyone know the rough cost to get a Giant IO shipped?
Hardly matters I'm all in now

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

And ... their back!!
I hesitated just 24 hours on pulling the trigger on a chome giant IO - the next day they were out of stock
This was about 2 months ago and boom - this morning I got notified they are back in stock
Well, chrome is gone for good but matt black is a brand new offer and if you order one now - you get a numbered version
First time for me using my new UK address from forward2me
I ordered the red blob with violet liquid - nice color combo with matt black
[quoted image]
... just saw the USD conversion charge on my Amex
Whoa - $531 dollars US ... and still need to pay to ship it!
Anyone know the rough cost to get a Giant IO shipped?
Hardly matters I'm all in now

Cough cough...around $135!

I plan on buying the black iO, but have been busy with home projects like replacing a wall oven and stove top. Oh and getting an old dirt bike running again!

Congratulations you will love it! Well worth the cost in my opinion.
0F365767-D763-429E-BF3D-94E280EAAC1A (resized).jpeg0F365767-D763-429E-BF3D-94E280EAAC1A (resized).jpeg494F94E0-8E53-493F-A1CB-01D8A96189D1 (resized).jpeg494F94E0-8E53-493F-A1CB-01D8A96189D1 (resized).jpeg

#148 3 years ago

This dang thread! I'm now up to 7 lamps bought in the past couple weeks.
I'm even experimenting to fix/improve a cheap Chinese one. If I figure it out, I can see lots of custom lamps in my future.

#149 3 years ago

Funny that I just ran into this thread. Two weeks ago I just found my old lava lamp while cleaning out some totes in the basement. Sadly it got knocked over while hot when my office chair experienced a unexpected rapid disassembly (nearly cracked my head open on my desk.) I did order one of the MagmaTower Goo Kits to try and refill it so we shall see how well that works when that comes in.

In other news Steelcase has 15% on all office chairs for the next few days if anyone needs one...

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Cough cough...around $135!
I plan on buying the black iO, but have been busy with home projects like replacing a wall oven and stove top. Oh and getting an old dirt bike running again!
Congratulations you will love it! Well worth the cost in my opinion.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Just checked and shipping was $191.66 - converted from = 144 BP sterling
Add the cost of the lamp at $531.00
Add the cost of bulbs, transformer at $75
I'm now in for $798 for one lamp ... better be a beauty!

I'm running through all the options to convert it to US - will report back once settled:

Got this step up transformer on the way. Can use it "as it arrives" with this unit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGJYDWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

Got these bulbs on order to see if they function well enough to heat the lava properly
These bulbs will draw .62 amps vs the UK lamp draw of .34 amps so I will be watching the cord temps carefully - probably not an issue
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081BCYMRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

There are 607 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lava-lamps/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.