th_Lebowski.jpg
WOZ-playfield-center.jpg
Lemon%20Baby.gif
f5cf2d96cdff74e01d87ab37abed80cd.jpg
images.jpg
untitled.png
popcorn.gif
witch_flies_4.gif
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 11 years ago

It's a sad day.

It's a sad day, not because JJP's estimate is wrong.
It's a sad day because Exejet is right.
Again.

#152 11 years ago

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

#153 11 years ago

everything about the machine looks great to me, I just can't get past that annoying music

#154 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hey Jack...you are an innovator, positive force and should be applauded for what you are doing for the pinball community.

Amen!

Sincerely looking forward to the experience, whenever it is ready,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#155 11 years ago

Where is Alex ? You know, the guy in the know ?

Jim

#156 11 years ago

"Talking" to Jack?

#157 11 years ago

Lol

#158 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Where is Alex ? You know, the guy in the know ?
Jim

Jim, I thought it was remarks like these that led you to take a Pinside leave a couple of weeks back. And now you are the one making them? Uncool.

#159 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Jim, I thought it was remarks like these that led you to take a Pinside leave a couple of weeks back. And now you are the one making them? Uncool.

No, that is not the reason Robin .. I was attack for showing a mod to a game and trying to help people .I was actually showing real parts on a real game . I took it personal and took my ball home ..

I am over it now and I did act immaturely .

Alex and me are fine, I was just jabbing a little .. No be deal . I should have left it alone but I didn't. He is the one who made a bet and said he would leave if WOZ was not out before the end of the month. I was just wondering if that really happened ? Sorry

Jim

#160 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I think I'm the only person who is kind of happy with the delay (ssst don't tell anyone): I have nowhere to put that machine since my newly built gameroom isn't finished yet!

I'm actually in the same boat. I'm renovating a new building to house my collection and it's not yet ready, and until then, I really don't know where I could put the machine. I've already got a half dozen games at friends' houses right now. I'm all in favor of them taking their time. I understand though, that others are anxious. We all are, but I'd rather them take their time and get a chance to put the game on location and run it through its paces than do what Stern is doing which is push unfinished games out the door. In the heyday of pinball, it wasn't unusual for manufacturers to produce a hundred or more sample games and fully-test them before they went into main production.

#161 11 years ago

Okay, don't worry about it but I'm a bit annoyed by the recent personal crap between some members and felt like reacting.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

In the heyday of pinball, it wasn't unusual for manufacturers to produce a hundred or more sample games and fully-test them before they went into main production.

Good point. Think of all the prototype TZ games - you can read about it here.

I'm gonna be working on the electricity for my home gameroom. Two 16A groups for the six games I'm gonna be keeping at home. Getting close to finishing!

#162 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

And, so I am clear, I was in no way ripping on the OP. It just seems all threads about WOZ end up closed because of the seemingly inevitable bickering.

Forums are made for bickering ...it is the nature of the beast and unfortunately inevidiable..

#163 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Forums are made for bickering ...it is the nature of the beast and unfortunately inevidiable..

Some arguing back and forth is okay pinheads will always have something to disagree about. What is not okay and will not be tolerated are nasty personal exchanges with nothing but name calling and attacks on the other party to prod further nasty exchanges.

#164 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Forums are made for bickering

I think that is a bunch of crap!

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Some arguing back and forth is okay pinheads will always have something to disagree about.

I disagree!

#165 11 years ago

Further to Gerry's post, I believe forums such as this are also for easy mass exchange of technical info, group aid on troubleshooting problems, status updates such as "latest update from Jack on WOZ.....", etc.

Btw, I am so twisted around on this thread now that I'm not sure what exactly is the "latest" update. Basically, one big issue is whether or not some WOZ machines will be somewhere out on test by midnight tonight or not. And is the answer "unfortunately, not yet"?
Anyone care to briefly summarize for us?

Have a great holiday weekend Pinsiders/Pinheads!!

#166 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I think that is a bunch of crap!

I disagree!

That is because you are a gorilla and gorillas are less prone to flinging poop than the other primates.

#167 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If we truly care about pinball and the community I really don't understand why we can't all get along and be thankful about the fact that JJP has helped the excitement level along with pushing Stern to a new level.....

Sorry, I've never seen pictures or playfield layouts or really looked in to the design of woz, just so you know where I'm coming from. How has this new designer pushed Stern to a new level???

I'm really excited about the prospect of there being more manufacturers of pinball in the future. Really really excited. But I am not seeing how one-off rethemed tables (love the Ghostbuster and the Ferrari ones!!) , a botique shop making a few dozen tables (sorry can't remember the name or table), or even a larger scale start up with plans for 1000 future tables (JJP) have affected Stern's pinball in any measurable way.

Hopefully someone can explain it to me and please don't get offended because of my lack of knowledge in this area... Just curious how this 'has' pushed Stern to a new level.

#168 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Sorry, I've never seen pictures or playfield layouts or really looked in to the design of woz, just so you know where I'm coming from. How has this new designer pushed Stern to a new level???
I'm really excited about the prospect of there being more manufacturers of pinball in the future. Really really excited. But I am not seeing how one-off rethemed tables (love the Ghostbuster and the Ferrari ones!!) , a botique shop making a few dozen tables (sorry can't remember the name or table), or even a larger scale start up with plans for 1000 future tables (JJP) have affected Stern's pinball in any measurable way.
Hopefully someone can explain it to me and please don't get offended because of my lack of knowledge in this area... Just curious how this 'has' pushed Stern to a new level.

All you have to do is look at the games Stern was putting out before & after the announcement that JJP was getting into the business of making games to realize the effect they had on their product. That and look at all the talent they brought back into their building.

Best thing thats happened to pinball in quite some time.

#169 11 years ago

Was it because of JJP's announcement that Stern added more talent or was it that the market had simply increased demand? Actually, I suppose you can't really separate causes and effects in sucha complex market.

I guess I am just asking what exactly is Stern doing now because of JJP working on a table. Your answer that Stern has brought back a lot of talent in to their building would be one answer. Can anyone show that Stern did that because of JJP then?

#170 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Was it because of JJP's announcement that Stern added more talent or was it that the market had simply increased demand? Actually, I suppose you can't really separate causes and effects in sucha complex market.
I guess I am just asking what exactly is Stern doing now because of JJP working on a table. Your answer that Stern has brought back a lot of talent in to their building would be one answer. Can anyone show that Stern did that because of JJP then?

Stern is trying to put more features into their games to match JJP. That is one of the main differences. Just look at the functionality of the Joker toy in BDK and you can see a missed opportunity to make something great.

#171 11 years ago

So adding more talent, and including more features in their games... but can anyone say that it is because of JJP? (I really am not bashing, so don't jump on me. I'm just looking for some proof of the claims)

It sounds like Tesla fans claiming that GM has had to totally redo their strategies, the difference being there are Tesla's out on the road. Though I doubt GM really cares in this case.

#172 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

All you have to do is look at the games Stern was putting out before & after the announcement that JJP was getting into the business of making games to realize the effect they had on their product.

Avatar, TRS and Tron were all on the drawing board before JJP was announced. All had LE models. IM 'classic' was before that.

Quoted from smassa:

That and look at all the talent they brought back into their building.

The talent they brought back was right after the new investors arrived. Long before JJP was announced. For better or worse, the new investors are the ones that changed directions at Stern. JJP is definitely a consideration in their current marketing strategy (hurry!), but suggesting JJP is the sole reason for Stern's change in direction simply isn't true.

#173 11 years ago

Well Gary is certainly not going to admit it, so "proof" is a tough one here. You gotta admit though the games from Stern are far less "stripped down" the last couple of years, so something changed.....for the better!

#174 11 years ago

Also, the pinball market is much more limited than the car industry. If one company is making a luxurious pin for $7000 and the other company is selling an ordinary pin for $6500 there will be a huge imbalance in sales eventually, especially if they make about the same number of titles per year. Both companies will have to match each other to continue to succeed.

#175 11 years ago

True enough, but I think that Stern's model is to produce at least four new pins per year, while it sounds like JJP will do one new pin per year - maybe two once they get their processes rolling along.

#176 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The talent they brought back was right after the new investors arrived. Long before JJP was announced. For better or worse, the new investors are the ones that changed directions at Stern. JJP is definitely a consideration in their current marketing strategy (hurry!), but suggesting JJP is the sole reason for Stern's change in direction simply isn't true.

I'm not sure what talent you are referring to, but you seem to have the timeline a bit off. JJP announces in Jan 11. Stern brings back Ritchie and Sheats in Mar 11. Stern brings back Gomez in July 11. You seriously see no correlation there?

#177 11 years ago

Investor infusion no?

#178 11 years ago

It takes a year+ to design a pinball machine, so much was already underway long before WOZ .

#179 11 years ago

Sorry guys, I just don't buy that JJP had little impact. I saw what Stern was doing before JJP. I saw it change after JJP announced. I don't see how you can deny that. And why wouldn't Stern respond and attempt to squash the competition? It only makes sense.

#180 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Investor infusion no?

Investors came in Nov 09. Before all the "Costco" models and continued the less is more direction.

#181 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

You seriously see no correlation there?

Avatar, TRS and Tron LE's were either built or on the drawing board long before JJP was announced. Did Gary know Jack was going to start a company even before Jack knew?

These threads are so stupid. Can't believe I let myself get sucked into this one. STERN RUWLS!!!

#182 11 years ago

Dude, I only responded to the misinformation YOU posted. I'm a fan of both companies and own more Sterns than anything else. Doesn't mean I can't acknowledge they were going in a questionable direction before JJP.

#183 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Avatar, TRS and TRON LE's were either built or on the drawing board long before JJP was announced. Did Gary know Jack was going to start a company even before Jack knew?
These threads are so stupid. Can't believe I let myself get sucked into this one. STERN RUWLS!!!

Most pinsiders ( not me since I have not played them) seem to think that 2 of those games suck so that helps to show that the games before JJP but after SM were not so good.

#184 11 years ago

Ok what about TSPP, LOTR, & SM all great pins with cool features. Implying Stern only started to build great pins with cool features once JJP hit the scene is a bit short sighted IMO. Tron was awesome because of the talented team building it was great. I think the same can be said for AC/DC and XM.

Now if you all were saying JJP pushed Stern to develope and incorporate new features in pins like LCD screens and LEDs I would be inclined to agree with you there.

It is BS that a company that has not even released a pin gets all the credit for Stern making the great pins they have recently released. Sure lets ignore all the talent on the teams making these pins and give credit to another company. It's taking it a bit far IMO but hey love to see all the enthusiasm for pinball.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Add one last comment on the issue.

#185 11 years ago

Mmm, I think when most people talk about JJP spurring Stern to produce higher quality and more feature-filled machines, they're talking about post Spider-man, and specifically around 2009 when the massive cutbacks began taking effect.

Maybe an ASCII graph of subjective Stern quality levels would help...

2000 *
2001 ***
2002 **
2003 ******
2004 ****
2005 ***
2006 ****
2007 ******
2008 ***
2009 *
2010 ***
2011 *****
2012 ****

That's all my personal opinion, of course, but it actually looks like the Stern rollercoaster may have been due for some good games in 2011 anyways!

#186 11 years ago

ASCII KICKS ASS!

83640bc02ce1fa1df518959b2695ce27.jpg83640bc02ce1fa1df518959b2695ce27.jpg

#187 11 years ago

I love ascii art and ANSI art..

#188 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I love ascii art and ANSI art..

That was supposed to be animated, but it didn't....

Try this:

http://gifsrus.zxq.net/ascii/ascii2.php

#189 11 years ago

Stop bumping the thread with rubbish.

#190 11 years ago

Stern's best means of advertising and exposure is now WOZ update threads..... love it!!

#191 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Stop bumping the thread with rubbish.

It's FILLED with rubbish there captain.

#192 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

It's FILLED with rubbish there captain.

#193 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

That was supposed to be animated, but it didn't....
Try this:
http://gifsrus.zxq.net/ascii/ascii2.php

Cool stuff! Thanks!

#194 11 years ago

Well I can't deny that JJP will have an effect on Stern, as I can't provide evidence one way or the other. Mostly because I don't really care, just as long as prices don't go UP because of some future competition. As there is only one manufacturer today it's all just internet chatter. It still has yet to be seen how many tables any new manufacturer can produce in a year, once they begin production... I can't wait to get more variety and tables coming out!

#195 11 years ago

Can someone sumarize the latest on WOZ? I know a few weeks back Jack said he had trouble getting materials from his vendors, but I assume that is resolved. Is that the last update? I guess there are no dates released for the demo game at the arcade yet? Its hard getting anything out of this thread as it was certainly derailed off topic

#196 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Can someone sumarize the latest on WOZ? I know a few weeks back Jack said he had trouble getting materials from his vendors, but I assume that is resolved. Is that the last update? I guess there are no dates released for the demo game at the arcade yet? Its hard getting anything out of this thread as it was certainly derailed off topic

I guess there will be a game at PPE, I don't think it is a finished game just one that will show the progress to this point.
If the monkey flies I may be in, I have no idea where I would put it since I am out of room.

#197 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Ok what about TSPP, LOTR, & SM all great pins with cool features. Implying Stern only started to build great pins with cool features once JJP hit the scene is a bit short sighted IMO

You forgot they were going the cost cutting features route before JJP - plastic aprons, no playfield brackets, change of lock down mechs. Gary even posed a question wondering how important DMD animation was implying that might be on the chopping block. The whole thing that Gary did to Steve over Avatar- JJP announces Jan. 2 years ago WOZ, Gomez and Ritchie only a couple months later are hired back by Stern tripling their development staff.

Not saying JJP is the only reason Stern stepped up their game, because it is not, but it most definitely had a big influence. Too many coincidents on the timeline to not come to that conclusion.

Gary had never tapped into the home market before, telling people that the only way to save pinball was to dump coins into location, now his LE's/Premiums are aimed at a market JJP had specifically targeted. I really think Jack pointed the gameroom market out to Gary. Glad he did as Stern is making some nice stuff.

#198 11 years ago

Maybe we should invent a few more scam companies that also will pretend to have new "revolutionary" games coming out.

We could trick Stern with even more vaporware.

#199 11 years ago

Hey Vid, Could you keep us updated on previously mentioned factory? From what I read here, I think the community needs a reliable source as to when actual production may happen. Let us know when cars are in the lot day after day. Might kill some speculation, rumors, beliefs, etc...

#200 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe we should invent a few more scam companies that also will pretend to have new "revolutionary" games coming out.
We could trick Stern with even more vaporware.

So are you saying WoZ is a scam? Say it if you mean it. Dont beat around the bush. Everyone enjoys libelous commentary

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/latest-update-from-jack-on-woz/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.