• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95105452-3D55-4FEA-B4EA-E8F5F3EECC62 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Due to getting a foot amputated and (it seems a prosthetic is not viable), my career as a baker seems over
I have no skill or education other than being a baker
have any of you completely change your life direction after turning 50yo?

If being a baker was my source of joy and comfort, I certainly wouldn't allow an amputated foot to be a hindrance. If not already a business owner, your assets should cover a solo venture, and/or with some outside the box thinking, a YouTube channel or similar could be a strong source of income and motivation (people love all of those crazy cake, etc. shows, and noting trends and memes [even if juvenile to you] would be worthwhile ["everything is cake" has been huge on TikTok, etc.] "Baked Goods" with a stoned out smiley face logo/mascot could catch on (think a more free-form Voodoo Donuts).

Few people know that I woke up with a black ring around my neck after a failed suicide attempt before a week long crawl back from hell/depression, sleeping 20+ hours a day (not the first time) to set some new life goals.

The first was to finish a few of my original songs to perform at an open mic and get over that fear. The next was to see if there was any reception to my pinball mods (I had already been teaching myself CAD/3D printing for about a year at that point, terrified at the thought of presenting any of my ideas [I've learned a lot since then]).

While I wasn't in financial jeopardy, and I worked for high profile clients in the world of vintage Ferraris, it wasn't remotely what I wanted to do with my life (especially for an abusive father).

I'm on the autism spectrum, absolutely obsessed with pinball, and those that have supported my work have little idea of the impact they've made in my life.

I suppose my advice would be to never let handicaps (or the judgement of others) get in the way of what you want to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

However, your question here leads me to believe you'd actually feel more relief by changing careers at this point.

I'm a firm believer and living proof that "if there's a will there's a way."

You either want to continue baking, or you're experienced enough to have had a dream in the back of your mind.

Follow whatever the dream is. 50 is young to many.

You'll regret any other decision. Money doesn't bring happiness.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

if i could work in a wheelchair or crutches, I would, but that is not possible
I am still in the middle of making this decision
My fellow pinsiders are about the same age as I am, and a few have been through their own medical issues
I am more using you guys as a sounding board today

My presumption was that you'd at least be able to work in a wheelchair (must be more than a foot?).

And most Pinsiders are indeed older than I am (I'm 36), and thus, perhaps less likely to realize (or are less receptive to) the opportunities that the internet offers (not all, but some).

For motivation, this guy with Polio, stuck in an iron lung, sounds more positive than many of us in our lives:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/late-life-career-change?tu=Medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.