(Topic ID: 337501)

Late 80s/90s A tier games that aren't B/W?

By Nintegageo

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221031_190121 (resized).jpg
    #1 11 months ago

Heya,

the late 80s and 90s had some fantastic pins (arguably the best). Curious which ones you deem as "A tier" that weren't done by Bally Williams Midway. This is obviously a personal opinion type thing.

The first one that come to my mind was Pinball Magic by Capcom. The game has crazy toys and is well made with a great theme and art.

20221031_190121 (resized).jpg20221031_190121 (resized).jpg
    #2 11 months ago

All the Capcoms. Some Segas.

#3 11 months ago

I'd classify Torpedo Alley as being in the top 5 system 11s if it was made by b/w.

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'd classify Torpedo Alley as being in the top 5 system 11s if it was made by b/w.

Beat me to it! My vote was immediately Torpedo Alley. Fantastic machine

#5 11 months ago

Games that are not B/W that were good in the 90s are.

Batman forever
    DE GNR
    DE Tommy
    DE SW
    DE TFTC
    Stargate
    SST
    MSF
    Baywatch
    Teed off
    IO Moon
    Bushido

#6 11 months ago

There are no non Williams / Bally “a tier” 90s games.

There are several “hey it’s not too bad for a DE/Sega” and “it’s bearable for a premier” games, but let’s not get carried away.

#7 11 months ago

I'll vote for Gottlieb Stargate. Great looking art, nice layout, well thought out code with lots of modes, and great use of mechs. It was one of my favorites back in the day and it's still one of my favorites now. It would've been remembered a lot more fondly if it had the Williams name on it instead of Gottlieb.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There are no non Williams / Bally “a tier” 90s games.

There are several “hey it’s not too bad for a DE/Sega” and “it’s bearable for a premier” games, but let’s not get carried away.

Agreed. Not every game can be "A" tier. Kind of the whole point behind tiers. Doesn't mean the games suck, just that other games of the same time period are more sought after and widely considered better.

#9 11 months ago

paul_8788 ignoring its initials , do you consider BBB a lower tier game then?

#10 11 months ago

Tx Sector
    Robo War
    Stargate
    Baywatch

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

paul_8788 ignoring its initials , do you consider BBB a lower tier game then?

Some games may be rare and valuable, but that doesn't mean they have all the other qualities that necessarily make them A list games.

BBB specifically is more than half way down the top 100 list.

#12 11 months ago

Back then GnR was probably the most respected

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Back then GnR was probably the most respected

No it always sucked. But I’ll grant it generally always fetched an “a list” price.

This was down wholly to the GNR army driving the price up, with little to do with gameplay.

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No it always sucked. But I’ll grant it generally always fetched an “a list” price.
    This was down wholly to the GNR army driving the price up, with little to do with gameplay.

No one was buying games back then so there were no "tiers" I know of.
    There were all the DE games that sucked, and then there was GnR which we played.

#15 11 months ago

ForceFlow sure, but in 90s games it's 22nd. Plus I was just going by their metric of sought after and considered a great game. It has a rating above 8, which I'd consider great.

Admittedly I just used the term 'tier' because I see it used in the hobby. I don't understand how Shadow is a B tier either though so what do I know haha

#17 11 months ago

Oh I guess JP as well. Pf course it was frowned on a bit because of Lawlor rip off

#18 11 months ago

In general, I agree that true A list games for the 90’s are all B/W. IMO, all WPC

However, the Capcom system really had a better, next generation, design over the WPC. The design is superior over even the WPC-95 system. With the control of the lights, solenoids, internal troubleshooting, playfield underside access, etc.

The only other games other than B/W WPC A list of the 90’s would be 3 of the Capcom games, all things considered.
    Ranking is just one fact. BBB is ranked where it is because 95 percent of the people have never seen on or played one. King pin even more rare.

I would include King Pin, BBB, and Pinball Magic within the top tier. pinball Magic barely makes it in.

#19 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

ForceFlow sure, but in 90s games it's 22nd. Plus I was just going by their metric of sought after and considered a great game. It has a rating above 8, which I'd consider great.

Sounds like your question should've been "What are the best non-B/W games from the late 80s, 90s".

#20 11 months ago
    Quoted from athens95:

In general, I agree that true A list games for the 90’s are all B/W. IMO, all WPC
    However, the Capcom system really had a better, next generation, design over the WPC. The design is superior over even the WPC-95 system. With the control of the lights, solenoids, internal troubleshooting, playfield underside access, etc.
    The only other games other than B/W WPC A list of the 90’s would be 3 of the Capcom games, all things considered.
    Ranking is just one fact. BBB is ranked where it is because 95 percent of the people have never seen on or played one. King pin even more rare.
    I would include King Pin, BBB, and Pinball Magic within the top tier. pinball Magic barely makes it in.

I'd agree on pinball magic. It has some great toys and great code. Code is where most other manufacturers (Gottlieb, even Stargate) fell flat.

#21 11 months ago

Translite I can grant ya (though thank goodness it is drawn not photoshop art), but the theme and art are awesome! Love the art deco style.

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh come on who doesn’t love backhanding that lock shot 6 times over and over!

#23 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

Translite I can grant ya (though thank goodness it is drawn not photoshop art), but the theme and art are awesome! Love the art deco style.

Well people in the 90s didn’t like it at all, and the pinball needs today didn’t care for until recently when they actually played the game.

Lots of ugly games got more popular once people played them more recently. See all gottlieb games.

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well people in the 90s didn’t like it at all, and the pinball needs today didn’t care for until recently when they actually played the game.
    Lots of ugly games got more popular once people played them more recently. See all gottlieb games.

Theme is just fine, the most popular pulp character.

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Then why is it a B title?

#26 11 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Yeah It's a shitty movie.

#27 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah It's a shitty movie.

Not really - don't care for the main actor of course but they did a nice job of blending the two versions of the character together (Street and Smith & Blue Coal). A few scenes are right out of the radio version, and done very well. Curry's exit is also pretty faithful to the Shadow's vengeance side and his "method".

The screenwriters did their homework. Could it have been better? Sure, Khan's goofiness is probably the biggest mistake - but pulp characters don't translate well into contemporary times. Never have.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/late-80s-90s-a-tier-games-that-aren-t-b-w and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.