Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

How sad......actually think I am gonna cry.
    I wish the whole PPM team the best of luck!!!
    Hopefully they can pull off something even better than "The Largest Pinball Show in the World"

copied from rgp:

Dear RGP'ers:

The Pacific Pinball Museum (PPM) is proud to once again produce the Pacific Pinball Exposition (PPE) that will take place September 21-23 at the Marin Civic Center in San Rafael, California. This will be the LAST PPE at the Marin Civic Center and may be the last PPE for a while. While we love putting on the show, it takes a lot of effort and we want to be able to now focus our attention on finding a new, larger venue for the PPM and developing new projects such as a pinball-based science curriculum for kids.

Once we have a new venue for the museum, we expect to put on the Expo once again. Of course, you are always welcome to visit the PPM in Alameda, California which is open 6 days/week. We will be holding tournaments and special events at the PPM throughout the year.

We look forward to seeing you at PPE this September and we want to thank you for all your support through the years.

The Board of the Pacific Pinball Museum
    www.PacificPinball.org

#2 11 years ago

Ya that sucks.

Maybe this show will have such a great turn out and vibe that they change their mind... ya never know

#3 11 years ago

That does suck. Really don't understand why they want a larger venue as the one they are at seems big enough.

#4 11 years ago

After talking to one of the head organizers last year, I'm actually surprised they are having this one, it was in serious doubt. Their plan is to have a permanent location for the massive amount of games they have, the vast majority of what comes to PPE is their stuff, it's a huge undertaking to move it every year back and forth. Also, they have had problems with the show location, getting the dates they want, and this year, a conflict with the hotel.

This has been my favorite show since it's inception, mainly because of the old school flavor, (love woodrails and wedgeheads), and the whole setup, but it looks like I will miss this year because of the hotel problem

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

but it looks like I will miss this year because of the hotel problem

There are other hotels close by.....
    You dont want to miss the last show 'cause of a little travel to a hotel.
    If you call the hotel you might still be able to get a room at embasy.

#6 11 years ago

I've heard this for the past 3 years from the PPE guys, all very good friends so I'm not saying they are fibbing Just saying that somehow they always manage to stay in the BEAUTIFUL Marin civic center anyway. I, for one, seriously hope they do stay in San Rafael. It is the sweetest venue on the planet.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

That does suck. Really don't understand why they want a larger venue as the one they are at seems big enough.

I think they mean the want a larger location for the museum itself (currently in Alameda) not for the expo. It would be a crying shame if they could not do the expo anymore, definitely my favorite of the year that I get to attend.

However it would be awesome if they could get a bigger location for the museum itself, I know they have a ton more games that they could put out, imagine something like the expo accessible 365 days a year! (ok maybe not 365, they can have christmas and thanksgiving off).

#8 11 years ago

Thats a bummer.

#9 11 years ago

That is really unfortunate. I didn't see the original article in RGP.

I wonder why the show isn't continuing? Lack of volunteers/manpower to help move all the games? Pushback from the venue? Bad policy change from the venue? Show lost money? Just curious.

Josh

#10 11 years ago

I guess appreciate what you have before it's gone. Ive been unappreciative in the past but a show like this takes a ton of effort and the vibe there has always been awesome. Many pinheads (myself included) have had a blast at PPE for a many years now. I love that they are looking for a bigger spot for the museum that would be awesome!

#11 11 years ago

I had heard that they were looking into getting a bigger building on the Navy base in Alameda, I haven't heard that they found something yet. The problem for them will be having a good power source in the building they can get.

There's a great vacant Daughtrys building in Castro Valley that I think would be perfect for a show/museum and it's been vacant a long time. It has 3 levels with elevators, basement included. The problem is that the parking situation isn't good.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I guess appreciate what you have before it's gone. Ive been unappreciative in the past but a show like this takes a ton of effort and the vibe there has always been awesome. Many pinheads (myself included) have had a blast at PPE for a many years now. I love that they are looking for a bigger spot for the museum that would be awesome!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

There's a great vacant Daughtrys building in Castro Valley that I think would be perfect for a show/museum and it's been vacant a long time. It has 3 levels with elevators, basement included. The problem is that the parking situation isn't good.

That would be good! I grew up in castro valley, that building is huge and has been vacant forever. It used to be a pool hall. Plus that town desperately needs something to do.

#13 11 years ago

I used to operate pinballs inside that pool hall.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

That would be good! I grew up in castro valley, that building is huge and has been vacant forever. It used to be a pool hall. Plus that town desperately needs something to do.

#14 11 years ago

They definitely need more space for their day to day operation. In their current spot, they would need to swap all the woodies out and put DMDs to get more people and more $$ coming in. But their focus is on being a museum, non-profit, probably a major factor in being able to stay open as they currently do. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing and playing the older games / history, but it's not something I do every time I visit.

See everyone at the last PPE at the Marin Civic Center! As others said, it is a nice venue, so visit this year if you haven't before!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I used to operate pinballs inside that pool hall.

I definitely played those pins all the time! If I remember correctly from another thread you still live in Castro Valley? You know what I am talking about when I say that town is kinda dying. Jd's closed, Pyzanos closed (that was especially heartbreaking), palomares cafe, all the private businesses are closing shop... soon that town will just be a row of starbucks. Heck they already have three of them, and it might even be five depending if the two safeways have them as well.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Krellan:

That is really unfortunate. I didn't see the original article in RGP.
    I wonder why the show isn't continuing? Lack of volunteers/manpower to help move all the games? Pushback from the venue? Bad policy change from the venue? Show lost money? Just curious.
    Josh

Hey Josh, it's mainly due to the reasons they stated - they have other goals they want to pursue.

Soup to nuts, the show eats a good 4 months of labor hours out of the year for them. It's a massive undertaking.

I only know a few of the details about Marin Civic and Embassy Suites, but I've heard the words "greedy" and "bastards" in sentences including them, so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-ppe-at-marin-civic-center and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.