Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

minstrelman.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Mystic [... is a] Beautiful game, I love it. But if you made a modern title with the same art you'd have to have so much more. Callouts. Characters. Animations. Tons more music and sounds. We have a lot of expectations now. And that all has to be created from scratch. There's no license to give you assets, ideas, and frameworks.

That's a very good point, and something I think gets lost when people cite the "unlicensed era" - it's easy-ish to just draw some pretty pictures, plink a captivating bleep-bloop palette, and be done. When I imagine how Whirlwind might have looked if made in the DMD era, I'm not sure if the dots and animations I see in my head would translate well or not. And finding out if they would, takes talent and time!

But, counterpoint: it can indeed be done! Games like MM and AFM have a cast of unique original characters all their own which are approachable and ultimately memorable even when they're first unknown. Sure, they play off stereotypes and well-known tropes which make them familiar from the onset. But even aside from that, they have music and dots which are fully cohesive - so originality is not impossible. And while you keep attesting to the challenge of distilling a known toolkit of licensed assets into the pinball formfactor, and I don't doubt you in the least, I surmise from a technical aspect, an original work would not be any more difficult. Licenses give you limits; originals give you freedom. Both have boundaries.

The trick is creating an original work that feels familiar. As stated, MM and AFM are perfect examples of this. But even games like FH and WW, you can walk up and get an idea for what they're about: everyone knows about storms and carnivals. The execution gives those games a life and character all their own.

Spooky followed the same path, using the "haunted ____" trope. It has a few excusable weak points but it's a noble step in the right direction, and fantastic for a new builder. It takes time to put the whole package together, and it's a risk. But it's not impossible.

Also, remember this: every good license, was "original" once, somewhere.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I also believe a licensed theme can backfire from across a Location floor as if you don't like the particular license you won't go near the machine as you already have an opinion due to the license. Star Wars Ugh I hate that movie!
    A non-licensed machine will make a person at least walk over to the machine just out of curiosity if nothing else.
    If the back glass is inviting enough Themed or Licensed it will draw you over and thats the idea.

Hah, that's a GREAT point: speaking from my own experience and perspective as a relative newbie, I didn't even think to cite it. When I downloaded an eye-patch version of Pinball Arcade to sample all the tables for comparison, and feel out different game designs and concepts, you know which ones I played first? The ones I never heard of outside that cloistered pinball universe: original themes! The last ones I played were licensed, and in fact I still don't think I've played Terminator.

Same in real life: at the Louisville Expo this year I never lined up for Last Action Hero, Starship Troopers, or (again, oops) Terminator. At Zanzibar in Louisville, the very last machine I tried was Walking Dead... I even tried Champion Pub first despite previously learning it in the app and hearing it's a dud in real life (which I found to be true FWIW). Also tried RFM. And replayed MM and AFM... all before giving Walking Dead a shot.

Even the first time I sampled a home arcade, which ultimately spawned this pin adventure, it was the same: "Addams Family? Meh, saw the movie 20 years ago. NASCAR sucks now. Hmm... what heck is Funhouse, that seems interesting...."

Now maybe I'm an outlier: my thinking is, given a selection of pins, I'll gravitate to experience the unique properties only available in pinball, before rehashing something I've seen elsewhere in another medium. And if a movie or band or whatever has no appeal to me, it'll be a tough sell to get me to pay to try it out.

That said, I don't mind being proven wrong: I don't much care for AC/DC and so that was one of the last pins I tried at Louisville Expo... only to wish I'd done so earlier And when I finally tried The Walking Dead, I ended up GC'ing it! But I think the "wisdom" that "people need a license to coax a try-out from them" is flawed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-non-licensed-original-game?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.