Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

minstrelman.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think licensing is choking the creativity out of pinball, it's full of too many compromises. Companies are more strict about what they'll allow now, brand management has changed since the 90s.

I'm curious, Aurich. You owned a Stern Star Trek. Do you believe Paramount was overly strict with the license on that?

They not only provided tons of audio lifts, they also approved all of the custom dots (including the racy, fun Match dots). They also approved all of Karl Urban's custom speech, including funny, goofy stuff like "Dammit, I'm a doctor not a pinball Wizard!" I think Paramount was quite generous.

Same goes for Metallica, AC/DC, KISS.

I'm not seeing a lot of compromises from the licenser lately....at least not on Stern titles.

JJP apparently got rebuked on many of their Hobbit animations. I guess you could make an argument for Peter Jackson being too controlling....

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, the art on Star Trek is blaaaahhh. Nothing worse than actor headshots all over the place, no thanks.

Premium only has actors on the translite, and that will be replaced with yours soon.

Quoted from Aurich:

I love Greg Freres, designed some of my favorite pinball art packages, but Star Trek was a whiff. Licensed PR shots, lazy bevel/emboss grid, just not a looker at all, outside of the awesome light show. Premium/LE lighting was great. He was just getting his feet under him, and had to do 3 game packages, so I think he gets a pass. You'll notice that since he got settled there are a lot less differences between the art packs. Look at Kiss! Walking Dead Pro/LE used the same art for the translite/backglass, just tweaked.

None of that is Paramount's fault. I don't see this as a problem with licensed themes, or corporations putting the "shackles" on the designers.

Quoted from Aurich:

Y
    Karl Urban voice recordings was a good idea in theory, not the license fault it failed.

I don't think his call-outs are a failure. They sounded odd when I first watched videos of them, but they are completely natural now. Most people that play my game laugh (in the good way) at his call-outs.

I'm just having trouble seeing where a licensed pin is being squashed by corporate policy. Except maybe Peter Jackson and the Hobbit.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Stern are incapable of making a profitable original theme for two reasons:
    1. They don't innovate

Yup. No innovation on SAM or SPIKE systems.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-non-licensed-original-game?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.