(Topic ID: 139778)

Last Man Standing: Was Not possible? Lyman agrees :) THX Lyman!

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Walkers.jpg
lloydchristmas.jpg
chuck-norris-walker_o_gifsoup-com_1.gif
3fqcrevw.png
image.jpeg
tumblr_lvjfzyZ8Sd1qd3ppyo1_500.jpg
image_1.jpg
IMG_4911.jpg
image.jpeg
images.jpeg
stallonetop.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-24_at_6.58.15_PM.png
IMG_0975.jpg
There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

challenge accepted!
Must also be on newest code version to count.
Mike > what to go play at pooleys sometime today? shoot me a text

Alright the bounty is currently $20. Hopefully a few others will join the challenge!

Wish I could meet you at Pooleys but I have Theran all weekend since the wife is out of town. Not sure I'd be able to put up my best scores with a 2 year old screaming although it didn't hurt me when I brought him to league. He may just be my secret weapon

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sweet. Glad to see we now have confirmation that if you are a top 2 player in the world it can be done, lol.

He came over last night to help set up games for a tourney we are having today. Posts are in the open position and he made it on his 1st try. I stand by my statement that you have to play the game totally different to get there then you would normally play it.

Ignored horde
Was one shot away from terminus but ignored that also.
Used multiballs to concentrate on walker kills

Is it a fun way to play the game? Probably not. But it does present another challenge in a already very addicting game.

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Used multiballs to concentrate on walker kills
Is it a fun way to play the game? Probably not. But it does present another challenge in a already very addicting game.

I think it's a fun way to play it, just one of many.

MB's are the path to walker kills/multi kills.

Get through Prison, Well Walker and Blood Bath MB's twice, and you are on your way. You can extend those MB's a long time with add a ball and rack up a ton of kills.

#154 8 years ago

Horde is not good for LMS, you can't get any kills during it. (The only time, I think.)
I had fun for a couple games trying, got to 50+, there was another extra ball at 60.
It's definitely do-able, look forward to seeing it someday

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Is it a fun way to play the game? Probably not.

I can confirm it is NOT a fun way to play. I just played 30 games trying for nothing but walker kills. It is pretty damn boring.

I can reconfirm that i would really like to see a code tweak change to make this mode more accessible and fun to try for. Would like it to be like other modes where at some point in a game you could say to yourself "hey self, you are making good progress towards killing walkers and you could shift your strategy to start going for it now"

I do not se that as realistic at this point. You could concentrate on starting multis and using them solely to kill walkers but man is it boring!

#156 8 years ago

How many did you get Hilton on 30 games?

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I just played 30 games trying for nothing but walker kills.

Just a quick 30!?!
Kills in mb is the way to go, and you can still get ball time.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ignored horde

This is actually important. You actively want to avoid Horde if you want LMS as it puts a halt to collecting walker kills afaik.

#159 8 years ago

Tower extra ball is even harder to get than LMS

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Tower extra ball is even harder to get than LMS

any tips of your strategy for LMS?

also, do think it is fun to go for?

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any tips of your strategy for LMS?
also, do think it is fun to go for?

For the LE/ Prem- Drops, drops, drops to start blood bath and build up walker bombs. Then try to bring prison and well within 1 hit of multiball and chop zombie wood by shooting the walkers until you drain then use the walker bomb to start well/ prison multiball. During multiball shoot walkers. When multiball ends repeat this process. I wouldn't say it was fun per say but was just to see if I could get to it. On a pro with factory settings/ outlanes I would say it is next to impossible.

#162 8 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately i am playing on a factory pro ;(

#163 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips and the insight Keith! I was going to give LMS my best shot this week on the route Pro near my work but after hearing how important walker bombs are to the strategy of reaching LMS I may just continue to ignore it and play for the other more fun goals. I'm at a point where I can reach Horde pretty regularly but haven't reached the other big modes. At a minimum it would be nice if the next code release brought the requirements down on the Pro to something more reasonable to at least give us a shot at seeing it some day since the Pro is so much more difficult sans walker bombs. It's a great game even without LMS and there is still enough challenge to keep me coming back for more. I honestly wasn't a fan of TWD when it was first released but Lyman's code has turned it into one of my favorites!

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you have a great game you can see pretty much everything. Same goes for Spider-Man. What if instead of qualifying Super-Hero by beating all the villians 3x and completing modes you had to get to Super Hero by hitting 300 white arrow shots? you'd have to basically decide before you play a game if you were going to defeat villians or shoot arrows to progress towards Super Hero?

That's how Spider-Man works. Instead of 300 white arrows, though, it's about 50 and they can only be hit outside of a multiball or spider mode. This is what enables the starting of the next spider mode. You definitely have to decide at the start if you're going for super hero or not.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That's how Spider-Man works. Instead of 300 white arrows, though, it's about 50 and they can only be hit outside of a multiball or spider mode. This is what enables the starting of the next spider mode. You definitely have to decide at the start if you're going for super hero or not.

In Spider-man though you can at least hit everything in the context of one game. When I play I always hit white arrows and start modes in conjunction with the multi-balls and bosses. I think it's just en grained in my mind from games like Lotr and TSPP to always have a mode running while I play the game. I approach and play the game pretty much the same way whether playing in a tournament or not. If I'm having a good game Super Hero is always a possibility. I don't think you have to sacrifice other modes and high scoring strategies to get there.

I think if the LMS requirement was lowered I could approach it the same way and it actually could be reached without drastically changing my approach.

#166 8 years ago

As a data point- I tried going for mostly walker kills (I still set up multiballs as convenient, but didn't try to go for mode points or other objectives like crossbow or what have you) this past weekend on a local Pro. The machine had a handful of pretty standard route issues- The crosshair insert on the barn shot was out, bloodbath insert out, the head in the prison didn't register very well, posts all the way up on the outlanes, pretty sensitive tilt, and a couple goofy zombie bloody handprints under the glass obscuring the inlane/outlane area. Game set to 3 plays/$2. One extra ball earned and played most games.

Games played: 29
Total cost: $8
Max score: 193 (million)
Min score: 8 (million)
Average score: 43 (million)
Max walker kills: 38 (walker kill champ)
Min walker kills: 4
Average walker kills: 14

Not giving up yet....

#167 8 years ago

I made it to lms two weeks ago, ended with 120 kills. I had started focusing only on walkers, often catching the ball and flipper passing just to get a shot on a lit one.

I don't want to play like that all the time but I didn't think it was tedious. I like being able to use different strategies, gives the game added variety. Every game should have a crazy tough mode to get to. There is still plenty there without it. Makes it really special when you finally do make it. LMS is for the elite, just like valinor on lotr or super duper on tspp.

If you can't cut it just do that outlane hack a few folks have done here, or maybe rubber bands over them, same thing :p

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

I made it to lms two weeks ago, ended with 120 kills. I had started focusing only on walkers, often catching the ball and flipper passing just to get a shot on a lit one.
I don't want to play like that all the time but I didn't think it was tedious. I like being able to use different strategies, gives the game added variety. Every game should have a crazy tough mode to get to. There is still plenty there without it. Makes it really special when you finally do make it. LMS is for the elite, just like valinor on lotr or super duper on tspp.
If you can't cut it just do that outlane hack a few folks have done here, or maybe rubber bands over them, same thing :p

Nice to see you missed the entire discussion that we are talking about pro games. You have cheater bombs. Call me when you do it on a factory pro mr elite...

#169 8 years ago

From what I have been hearing it is easier to get the Walker kills on the Premium/LE than the pro. Without the bombs, it maybe almost impossible to get to LMS on a pro.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

From what I have been hearing it is easier to get the Walker kills on the Premium/LE than the pro. Without the bombs, it maybe almost impossible to get to LMS on a pro.

after hearing it here

Quoted from sk8ball:

On a pro with factory settings/ outlanes I would say it is next to impossible.

I know it is likely not worth the effort.

Hopefully Lyman will make some fun adjustments.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hopefully Lyman will make some fun adjustments.

Isn't TWD code finished? They announced two more updates and there have been two updates since then.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Isn't TWD code finished? They announced two more updates and there have been two updates since then.

nope, 1 more to come since they made the announcement for 2 updates. There was also a follow up question on FB and Stern reply was something about a final update after current code has been out a bit.

I really think the game only needs a few small things and would be amazed if Lyman does not make the time to do these final tweaks.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

after hearing it here

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

So you are saying you made it to LMS on ball 2???

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So you are saying you made it to LMS on ball 2???

With the glass off of course

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Nice to see you missed the entire discussion that we are talking about pro games. You have cheater bombs. Call me when you do it on a factory pro mr elite...

The bombs don't make that big of a difference. Quit crying and play better.

#177 8 years ago

Bombs make a huge difference.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Uhhh ya they do. Still didn't answer my question. Did you make it to LMS on ball 2 or had a extra ball still remaining?

#179 8 years ago

That's like saying VIP passes in AcDc don't make a difference with or without them

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That's like saying VIP passes in AcDc don't make a difference with or without them

They make a difference but not like VIP passes do.

Looking forward to the final update!

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Interesting.

I have not had a chance to play TWD game with "bombs", or even the new code, so I will tend to rely on comments from those players whose skills are well-esatablished.

Keith seems to think they make a huge difference and I trust his judgement.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

those players whose skills are well-esatablished.

pretty much everyone that is not trolling will tell you that the bombs DO make a huge difference.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty much everyone that is not trolling will tell you that the bombs DO make a huge difference.

You could just buy a premium/LE model and then you could stop crying about the tough code

#184 8 years ago

How are "bombs" relevant to TWD world? I've watched every episode. Is there a heavy use of explosives that I've missed in the show?

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

How are "bombs" relevant to TWD world? I've watched every episode. Is there a heavy use of explosives that I've missed in the show?

The authorities bombed Atlanta in an attempt to solve the zombie problem.

Marcus

#186 8 years ago

In all fairness Hilton, I just like to bust your balls because its so fun! Having a menu feature to adjust the start of LMS walker kill requirement is all good with me. I wouldn't adjust it, but if it makes your routed pro that much more enjoyable, go for it.

I did order those add on outlane extenders (yoyokopter? spelling) made, interested to see if that makes the game better for me, I just don't really love TWD like I do TRON and MET.

#187 8 years ago

Would you like if any of the following were implemented for fun factor?:

1. Every on screen walker kill = a walker
2. 2x pf also doubled walker kills
3. Inlane x counted for walker kills
4. Woodbury had a walker kill # as a prize
5. Combos counted for walker kills
6. Multikills count as additional kills

I seriously love the code on TWD and find it to be so much fun to shoot. Had my best game the other day of 466mil (route pro, middle lanes, tight tilts) and most of that came through a solid tunnel and barn mode. Did not even get horde on that.

I feel like that game is a blow up possibility on ANY ball which also means the real goal is to string together 3 great balls!

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I seriously love the code on TWD and find it to be so much fun to shoot. Had my best game the other day of 466mil (route pro, middle lanes, tight tilts) and most of that came through a solid tunnel and barn mode. Did not even get horde on that.
I feel like that game is a blow up possibility on ANY ball which also means the real goal is to string together 3 great balls!

I'd actually be down for if a Multikill actually gave you another walker kill.
You technically are killing more than one zombie.

#189 8 years ago

When you think about, the fact that it's called "multikill" doesn't even make sense if you don't actually get any more kills for it.

#190 8 years ago

Seems to me like there's a lot of wood chopping going on in these Stern games...
Sold my Met Pro, didn't much care for trying to accumulate 50 of this and 75 of that in a 35 minute game.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Seems to me like there's a lot of wood chopping going on in these Stern games...
Sold my Met Pro, didn't much care for trying to accumulate 50 of this and 75 of that in a 35 minute game.

I don't think TWD is nearly as wood choppy as MET. Yes, of course collecting 115 walker kills is like chopping wood, but I think it's safe to say that most of us don't play the game concentrating on that aspect as there are plenty of more fun and rewarding goals.

#192 8 years ago

I finally replaced my well walker switch last night, and the game is once again 100%. Let the fun continue!

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

You can collect 75 drains on Iron Man in 35 minutes

#194 8 years ago

The issue with MET (and a bit of TWD) is that it can end up "woodchoppy" if you don't play or time the modes and multiballs properly. There's nothing worse than exiting the 2nd or 3rd CIU mode, with no multiballs close to starting and SnD ending wiping out your inserts. Or starting a multiball with CIU lit - that's just painfully inefficient play. Sometimes its luck based, sometimes its skill, but the best scores and gameplay come from the proper ordering of features and modes during play.

TWD suffers from this a bit if you end up struggling to get bloodbath, prison, WW multiballs staged properly, and Horde can definitely obstruct your progess towards LMS and Terminus (but its such a sweet mode who cares ). Again, with proper play these can be ordered effectively to keep the next goal always in reach but it doesn't always work that way.

I would contest that any game with 'depth' (not necessarily complexity) in the ruleset stands to suffer from 'woodchopping' if it depends on the players ability to progress modes and features in the correct (or most efficient) order - this isn't necessarily bad design imo as this is very different from the woodchopping from lazier game design like IJ4 or TAV. With MET or TWD you MIGHT chop wood, but on a good game you'll be cruising mode after mode multiball after multiball. Fire up IJ4 or TAV and there is no way to avoid the woodchop no matter how well you play.

#195 8 years ago

My skill level is that of an average player. Have good games every now and then, but for the most part, pretty lackluster achievements. Well, I just got to last man standing. My game is set up for 5 balls a game. But by the time I had drained ball 3, I had already been through last man standing and a score of over a billion. I scored over 400 mill in LMS alone. It was for me, an epic game. I had everything going and it was an absolute blast to play. It IS achievable!!!! If I can get there, then so can all of you!!!

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think the distinction is monotony vs intrigue to accomplish the goal.

Kind of like the distinction between TWD TV show's plot vs that of LOTR.

#197 8 years ago

I stopped reading after...

Quoted from DadofTwins:

My game is set up for 5 balls a game

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think it's a fun way to play it, just one of many.
MB's are the path to walker kills/multi kills.
Get through Prison, Well Walker and Blood Bath MB's twice, and you are on your way. You can extend those MB's a long time with add a ball and rack up a ton of kills.

I thought there were no add-a-balls in Prison or Well Walker.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

As a data point- I tried going for mostly walker kills (I still set up multiballs as convenient, but didn't try to go for mode points or other objectives like crossbow or what have you) this past weekend on a local Pro. The machine had a handful of pretty standard route issues- The crosshair insert on the barn shot was out, bloodbath insert out, the head in the prison didn't register very well, posts all the way up on the outlanes, pretty sensitive tilt, and a couple goofy zombie bloody handprints under the glass obscuring the inlane/outlane area. Game set to 3 plays/$2. One extra ball earned and played most games.
Games played: 29
Total cost: $8
Max score: 193 (million)
Min score: 8 (million)
Average score: 43 (million)
Max walker kills: 38 (walker kill champ)
Min walker kills: 4
Average walker kills: 14
Not giving up yet....

Let's meet up at Buffalo Billiards for a LMS quest on their Pro.
I haven't focused on walker kills yet, but now I'm intrigued to do so.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

6. Multikills count as additional kills

Hilton,
What is the Walker Kill high at Pooley's?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
There are 287 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-man-standing-not-possible/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.