(Topic ID: 67807)

Last game with A jackpot and A super jackpot shot?

By tmontana

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by hank527
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I could be wrong but it seems to me that most of the newer games make every shot a jackpot during multiball. What was the most recent game that has a single jackpot and a single super jackpot shot similar to something like Addams family?

#2 10 years ago

LOTR has a bit o err'thing

#4 10 years ago

I haven't played LOTR a lot but I could've swore that on at least one of the multiball modes, there are several shots that give you a jackpot.

#5 10 years ago

Huh? Most Stern's have reg+super jackpots... Can't think of many that DON'T.

#6 10 years ago

NGG?

#7 10 years ago

I think He means a shot on the playfield with an actual insert designed for a jackpot. Lotr did not have this. Avengers is the most recent one to have it behind hulks arm; very cool super jp shot. I miss them too. But lawlor seems to be the king of jackpot shots. Taf, FGY, RBION all come to mind.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

I haven't played LOTR a lot but I could've swore that on at least one of the multiball modes, there are several shots that give you a jackpot.

Dude LOTR is balls out insane

There are a bajillion MB modes, IMO the best MB's in all of pinball.

2 ball DTR
    Gollum 2 ball
    Valinor MB
    Ring MB
    Cave Troll MB
    FOTR MB
    TTT MB
    ROTK MB
    Stack a Gollum MB with a TABA like a boss
    Stack a Gollum MB with a Ring Frenzy (pretty sure that's possible.... Me thinks)
    Super Ring Frenzy MB

Don't forget the Super Duper Jackpots AKA victory laps.

#9 10 years ago

TSPP has jackpots and Super JPs for multiball and I&S multiball.

#10 10 years ago

TFTC has Jackpot, double jackpot, and monster jackpot!

#11 10 years ago

I think most of the posts in this thread are missing the point, and that the OP is asking what the last game with an early WPC style "collect jackpot, light super jackpot, collect super jackpot" multiball is. Let me get back to you on that one in the morning.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

I think most of the posts in this thread are missing the point, and that the OP is asking what the last game with an early WPC style "collect jackpot, light super jackpot, collect super jackpot" multiball is. Let me get back to you on that one in the morning.

Agreed. I have a LOTR. Multi-balls out the wazoo. Not complaining, but I'm interested to see too when the last, true single jackpot/super jackpot was implemented.

#13 10 years ago

Okay, I couldn't resist! Here's a list of games that have exactly this kind of multiball and a list of games that sort of have this kind of multiball, all listed in chronological order starting AFTER Addams.

Games with one jackpot shot and one super jackpot shot:
    Fish Tales - (Light jackpot, collect jackpot)*3, then captive ball is lit for supers.
    CFTBL - Light jackpot, collect jackpot, then light super and collect at jackpot shot.
    Indiana Jones (WMS) - (Light jackpot at left ramp, collect at right ramp)*3, then wail on captive ball target for supers.
    Flintstones - Jackpot lit at center shot, then super lit in the super jackpot lane.
    Dirty Harry - Right ramp jackpot, left ramp super jackpot. Relight jackpot at the warehouse.
    No Good Gofers - Left ramp jackpot, then Hole in One super jackpot or relight jackpot at right ramp.

Games with sort of similar multiballs:
    The Shadow - In Shadow Multiball, only one shot (the inner loop) is lit for jackpots, and the super is collected at the side saucer after 5 jackpots.
    Road Show - Jackpots alternate between Ted and Red's mouths.
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - Jackpots are collected at the center scoop, supers at the left ramp, and jackpots can be relit with the spinner.
    Monopoly - In regular multiball, jackpots are at the left ramp, and supers can be lit at the railroad ramp and collected at the Electric Company shot.
    Ripley's Believe It or Not - In regular multiball, jackpots are lit at both ramps and upon collection, the super is lit at the Super Jackpot loop.

After RBION, I don't think there was another game that had anything similar to the early-WPC style multiballs. This is not to discount those games; TSPP and LOTR are two of my favorites, as well as SM, BDK, and a few others with the more modern multiball style. However, I do miss the days of games where collecting a jackpot and a super jackpot really meant something. Nothing in my mind feels more awesome than cashing in a quadruple double super jack in CFTBL or bashing away at 100/200/300mil captive ball supers in Fish Tales. Maybe it's just because I'm bad at pinball and I like one shot giving me a ridiculous amount of points.

Please let me know if I made any mistakes, I'm curious as well!

#14 10 years ago

Nice work up!

#15 10 years ago

WoF has this.

#16 10 years ago

RBION has it for sure as it has a seperate shot for it from upper flipper.

ACDC, Transformers etc.. I cannot think of a recent game that does not have them.

#17 10 years ago

Avengers has Hulk Jackpot, Double Jackpot and SUPER Jackpot.
    Avengers has Tesseract Jackpot and a SUPER Jackpot
    Avengers also has fun layout and super fun rules....which are complete.

But shhhh, don't tell anyone. We don't want lots of people finding out how fun it is.

#19 10 years ago

Sm has a separate insert for royale jackpot.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Avengers has Hulk Jackpot, Double Jackpot and SUPER Jackpot.
    Avengers has Tesseract Jackpot and a SUPER Jackpot
    Avengers also has fun layout and super fun rules....which are complete.
    But shhhh, don't tell anyone. We don't want lots of people finding out how fun it is.

Technical foul ... OP said basic jackpot/superjackpot pins. Pay attention!

#21 10 years ago

Does Tron count? In Lightcycle MB, a left ramp > Quorra is a super jackpot, and a further combo to the side ramp is a double super jackpot and lights the insert.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

Does Tron count? In Lightcycle MB, a left ramp > Quorra is a super jackpot, and a further combo to the side ramp is a double super jackpot and lights the insert.

Don't think so. What the OP is saying is the cash-in jackpot then relight jackpot. It's a big Pat Lawlor feature. In TRON you can just nail the left ramp for a jackpot and wait a second and nail it again. No re-light needed.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Technical foul ... OP said basic jackpot/superjackpot pins. Pay attention!

Op means a designated target or shot on the pf to collect a JP or super JP. Avengers does have this. But like TFA said, keep it to yourself. Don't want to let people know its a good game

#25 10 years ago

Perhaps I'm confused by the question, but AC/DC has jackpots during MB, and collecting enough will allow you to shoot for the super jackpot. In fact, Steve Ritchie himself screams "Get the SUPER Jackpot". You have to load the canon and shoot the bell to collect. ...and you could consider the song jackpot a super jackpot as it sometimes hits crazy point levels, and you have to lite the Fire lanes threee times, load the cannon and hit the shot to collect.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Perhaps I'm confused by the question, but AC/DC has jackpots during MB, and collecting enough will allow you to shoot for the super jackpot. In fact, Steve Ritchie himself screams "Get the SUPER Jackpot". You have to load the canon and shoot the bell to collect. ...and you could consider the song jackpot a super jackpot as it sometimes hits crazy point levels, and you have to lite the Fire lanes threee times, load the cannon and hit the shot to collect.

He means an actual specific shot on the playfield that has an insert that lights up that says jackpot or super jackpot.

#27 10 years ago

Using TAF as an example. The train shot has an insert 'jackpot' and the upper ramp has an insert 'super jackpot'

It's nice to have games like this as you must do something specific to actually open up a JP shot. Unlike a lot of stern games where every shot on the pf is a JP shot during a given mb.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Re-read the OP. Original poster is talking about dedicated jackpot shots. In Addams you don't have to earn the regular jackpot to cash in the super jackpot. It's a design philosophy difference between software programmers. If you think of the Lawlor games, their jackpots have been much different (except for Family Guy, he went multiple jackpots on that game) than say, Brian Eddie's Medieval Madness where during multiball all shots are jackpots.

#29 10 years ago

I don't care for the multiple jackpot shots, and have wondered if others felt the same.
    A jackpot used to really 'mean' something. You'd work up to it, score it and then have to work (sometimes even harder) to get it again. It just doesn't feel right to me when playing a game that gives repeated call outs for 'jackpot!', 'double jackpot', Super duper jackpot!', 'quintuple jackpot with ice cream on top!'

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but the term 'jackpot' should be saved for something really special.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Op means a designated target or shot on the pf to collect a JP or super JP. Avengers does have this. But like TFA said, keep it to yourself. Don't want to let people know its a good game

Ok, fair. I see it read both ways. It seems recent pins award jackpots for everything. LOTR goes nuts. It's nice to step up to a pin like TAF or T2 and know there's one jackpot, one super jackpot. I know, it's a simpleton view of pins, but sometimes that's just what I want.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

What was the most recent game that has a single jackpot and a single super jackpot shot similar to something like Addams Family?

MET. Seek and Destroy. The timer makes it that much harder.

bonus: You can play it in single ball, or you can play it in multiball.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Ok, fair. I see it read both ways. It seems recent pins award jackpots for everything. LOTR goes nuts. It's nice to step up to a pin like TAF or T2 and know there's one jackpot, one super jackpot. I know, it's a simpleton view of pins, but sometimes that's just what I want.

Agreed. I like the one or two designated shots for a JP. In some games the over excessive JP call outs work. LoTR is a great example because there are some very intricate rules supporting it. For instance, TTT mb depends on how many balls you have in play then you stack JPs for bigger points which can light the one super JP shot quicker. In rotk mb there are 4 different types of JPs lit. Each go away as make one and progress through levels towards the super JP shots. Fotr mb doesn't have a JP call out but it's rules is to get the fellowship across the bridge one at a time then defeat balrog "you shall not pass!" Best call out Eva!!

#33 10 years ago

Seems like some missed what I was saying while others get exactly what I meant. I was saying that recent games have MANY jackpot shots, most in fact seem like any shot you make during a multiball is a jackpot. Most of the early 90's games I fell in love with only had ONE jackpot shot and a either you had to hit it to lite the super jackpot shot or it had ONE separate harder to make, super jackpot shot. And in many cases, if you got it you had to do something to relight it. Like paladin said a jackpot used to mean something, now it seems like you get a multiball and you hear it over and over again. Seems like this trend started with mid to late 90's games. AFM, MM, and MB come to mind.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

Okay, I couldn't resist! Here's a list of games that have exactly this kind of multiball and a list of games that sort of have this kind of multiball, all listed in chronological order starting AFTER Addams.
    Games with one jackpot shot and one super jackpot shot:
    Fish Tales - (Light jackpot, collect jackpot)*3, then captive ball is lit for supers.
    CFTBL - Light jackpot, collect jackpot, then light super and collect at jackpot shot.
    Indiana Jones (WMS) - (Light jackpot at left ramp, collect at right ramp)*3, then wail on captive ball target for supers.
    Flintstones - Jackpot lit at center shot, then super lit in the super jackpot lane.
    Dirty Harry - Right ramp jackpot, left ramp super jackpot. Relight jackpot at the warehouse.
    No Good Gofers - Left ramp jackpot, then Hole in One super jackpot or relight jackpot at right ramp.
    Games with sort of similar multiballs:
    The Shadow - In Shadow Multiball, only one shot (the inner loop) is lit for jackpots, and the super is collected at the side saucer after 5 jackpots.
    Road Show - Jackpots alternate between Ted and Red's mouths.
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - Jackpots are collected at the center scoop, supers at the left ramp, and jackpots can be relit with the spinner.
    Monopoly - In regular multiball, jackpots are at the left ramp, and supers can be lit at the railroad ramp and collected at the Electric Company shot.
    Ripley's Believe It or Not - In regular multiball, jackpots are lit at both ramps and upon collection, the super is lit at the Super Jackpot loop.
    After RBION, I don't think there was another game that had anything similar to the early-WPC style multiballs. This is not to discount those games; TSPP and LOTR are two of my favorites, as well as SM, BDK, and a few others with the more modern multiball style. However, I do miss the days of games where collecting a jackpot and a super jackpot really meant something. Nothing in my mind feels more awesome than cashing in a quadruple double super jack in CFTBL or bashing away at 100/200/300mil captive ball supers in Fish Tales. Maybe it's just because I'm bad at pinball and I like one shot giving me a ridiculous amount of points.
    Please let me know if I made any mistakes, I'm curious as well!

Well I think you've answered my question!

#35 10 years ago

Another relatively late game I'm aware of with a single Jackpot shot is Big Hurt: in "regular multiball" (as opposed to one of the modes, which is usually also a multiball), the Home Run hole is lit for jackpot, relight on either loop, Home Run hole for double jackpot, relight, super at the Home run hole.

I'm not sure if the other late Gottliebs also work this way: they're thin on the ground around here.

#36 10 years ago

Yeah, I was going to add a disclaimer to my post about that. I have no idea if any of the Premier/late Gottlieb games have that same kind of multiball as the only ones I've played in depth are Surf 'n Safari and Genesis. That kind of information would be neat to have. Congo is another "close" game, with two ramp jackpots and a inner loop Super. There is certainly a special feeling when you collect big points that aren't just given to you for free for basically starting multiball.

1 week later
    #37 10 years ago

TFTC does in fact have a seperate jackpot and super jackpot shots on each ramp. Left ramp has a JACKPOT insert on the playfield and the right ramp has a SUPER JACKPOT insert on the playfield. (There is a also a third jackpot) I believe TFTC is missing from KevinDDR's list.

#38 10 years ago

What about Tron's super jackpot on disc war multiball? The super is only available after the set number of shots on the disc and then bank targets and then one last shot to the disc.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

What about Tron's super jackpot on disc war multiball? The super is only available after the set number of shots on the disc and then bank targets and then one last shot to the disc.

Not really. Just about all other shots when that multiball START are lit for "jackpots". The super may qualify for the OP's thread subject however, the fact that there are MULTIPLE ways to get regular jackpots, disqualifies it.

The key point here in this thread is really the SINGLE SHOT JACKPOT "and" SINGLE SHOT SUPER JACKPOT not one or the other; but BOTH.

thread title should actually read:
    Last game with A SINGLE jackpot and A SINGLE super jackpot shot?

1 week later
    #40 10 years ago

Ok, how about this one:

Baywatch - 1995

The individual shots have a callout of "jackpot" but the inserts are just surfboards. After they are all collected, the shark hole has a super jackpot callout, but the insert just says "jackpot", and then the side ramp has a double super jackpot, but the insert just says "jackpot".

#41 10 years ago

X-Files has this on PF and is a hard as hell shooter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-game-with-a-jackpt-and-a-super-jackpot-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.