(Topic ID: 225256)

Last chance to talk me out or in for TNA.

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2igmo8 (resized).jpg
E8B65A2B-EAF1-4DF8-9617-BF06955C58EA (resized).jpeg
erniebanks01 (resized).jpg
blacksox01 (resized).jpg
GOTY (resized).jpg
3CED42B0-6C4B-4B84-A7D7-F54F91011B42 (resized).jpeg
41170179_2327060917524263_195271306587930624_n (resized).jpg
BONKOS (resized).png
screen-shot-2018-01-23-at-9-54-59-am (resized).png
D009CC14-B345-41DD-8D03-2B248D0F6DD2 (resized).jpeg
sneetches-1 (resized).jpg
B1F7FFE1-572D-4E48-835F-1388637FEC68.png
download (resized).jpg
51F815BD-4A29-46F9-AA9D-DD30ACE0F130 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.32 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.40.34 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I can't agree with this enough. Most games like this would be crucified on this site...prime reactor, start reactor, overload reactor, destroy reactor...now do that 9 times! Sure, the destroy shot moves around...this time it's the "R"...last time it was the "A"...that really shakes things up. And I can move the ball save shot around...awesome.
I forgot, also start multiball before starting in on the reactor sequence. Don't tell me I don't get it, because I do. I've played it a lot. The music, lights and cabinet are very cool. The gameplay got ultra-repetitive very quickly, and the music and lights can't make up for that. And if I have to play the game with 4 people to get the best it has to offer, that's a problem.
It's a fast and frenetic game. That I can appreciate, and in a large collection would give a varied game experience. But in my opinion (key words there), the best game ever hype is outrageous. If this really were the only machine in anyone's collection, I don't think it would get the love that it generates now. I think they'd have a psychotic break from the repetition...and from it being linear!!

The game is way much more than that. Yes that is the track you must take in order to destroy all 9 reactors but the strategy on how to achieve that and maximize your score is another thing. Each reactor can be maxed out. 1st reactor is 75k, 2nd reactor is 115k I believe, and it just goes up from there. The 1st reactor starts at 25k. So do you just go and destroy that 1st reactor for those low points or do you try and max out the value of that reactor? While doing this do you use your multi ball to make it easier to max out the reactor and take advantage of the playfield multipliers or do you take the opportunity to use this multi ball to go for your jackpots which are your drop targets. Now this is where the fun really picks up. Each drop target is a different jackpot value. 1st one is 1x then 2x then 3x. If you knock them all down and get in the scoop its a super jackpot as well as an add a ball. But.....the jackpots are worth higher as the you get deeper in the reactors so if you are getting jackpots and are only on the 1st reactor, the jackpots are not worth as much. So is the strategy to get thru several reactors and then go for jackpots or not? Or is it just maximizing your reactor values and using the multi ball to destroy the reactors at 3x value and not risk getting jackpots for you might lose the balls. Jackpots are a ton of fun for you have only 5 seconds to get each drop target down before it pops back up. Other strategies is using your save lanes (which are a ton of fun). If you use one on the outlane you get your ball back. If you use it when its going down an inlane you get a 10 sec ball save. So do you use this for completing your center target grid to start a reactor or do you use this for your locks? Maybe use it for whatever target you have to hit. Or do you continually stack your ball saves (which you can do) and use them to progress thru the game easier? There are a ton of other elements to this game to go deep into like the skill shots and short plunging and everything else but I can take a long time describing it all. Like all games, having in a home setting or putting a lot of time on a game will open up a whole world of possibilities. Not just playing a few times. I have Medieval Madness and can make the argument that there is not much to do in the game as well. People also discounting this game saying there is not much shots is weird as well. There are a ton of shots. 3 stand ups on the left, left orbit, left scoop, 3 middle standups, right ball lock lane, right orbit, pop bumper and 3 stand ups in the core which maximize your reactor value if you hit all 3 in succession. Each one of these shots is utilized in this game. I have to hit the stand ups in TNA. I do not have to hit them in MM. I love both games and both games offer what the other one does not.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

That was more of an explanation than I've heard anyone else give. Thanks!

No problem! I love this game. I love all games! Yay pinball

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for the detail, that is what I was looking for rather than just the flat rules (ABC objectives) it does sound like TNA is greater than the sum of it's parts or the number of discrete shots or rules.
How do you max out the reactors? Is that the spinner and the grid shots or more in the upper PF shots?
How does the time run work?
I mean that's the time it takes to destroy the reactor after it's critical? (or something else?) Is that kept in a high score table for each reactor?

Maxing out the reactors is done in the upper core area. Every time it hits one of those slings it increases the value of the reactor. If you want to automatically max out the value you have to hit the 1,2,3 targets up there but you have to hit them in succession so if you hit the 1 target it flashes. Hit it again and you got it. Then go for the 2 and then the 3. If you hit the 3 target without activating the 2 target then nothing happens. The spinner helps overheating the reactor once its ready to work on that as well as hitting the slings up top.

Time runs are kept on each reactor and it keeps a running clock on each one as well as saves the fastest time. Just like high scores. So if you destroy reactor 1 in 10 sec and that is the fastest time, you get to put your initials for speed run - reactor 1. Cool little add on to add some bragging rights. I am not sure when the clock starts but my guess is it starts at the end of the last reactor you blew.

Another cool little deal that I did not mention in my previous posts that I would not recommend going for (dangerous) is after you start a reactor your grid is now lit up in blue and red. If you fill your grid up after you start your reactor you get a reactor jackpot which I believe is worth 25% of your current reactor value. Which can be pretty significant. Say you are on reactor 5 and you have maxed it out. Not sure what the max out is but lets just say 250K. Well if your in 3 ball multi ball and you have started a reactor and decide to go for your grid and complete it, you will get 62,500 times 3 so 187,500 points just for hitting those standups.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I just want to say that I'm listening to the soundtrack right now via Spotify and love it. The hype meter for the music is deservedly high. I would say best original pinball soundtrack ever.

What I love is every reactor has its own song. I love getting to reactor 4. That is my favorite song. Reminds me of the movie Grandmas Boy where J.P. is sitting in in his white room at work jamming that bass music.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for the detail, that is what I was looking for rather than just the flat rules (ABC objectives) it does sound like TNA is greater than the sum of it's parts or the number of discrete shots or rules.
How do you max out the reactors? Is that the spinner and the grid shots or more in the upper PF shots?
How does the time run work?
I mean that's the time it takes to destroy the reactor after it's critical? (or something else?) Is that kept in a high score table for each reactor?

One last thing that is neat that not a lot of people realize is the core is only accessible by plunge and hitting the orbits...but the orbit will only get the ball back up there when the inserts are flashing pink. They will be pink once you have started your reactors. However, when you get to reactor 4 only one orbit is pink and it changes orbits every time it hits your slings at the bottom. Really cool deal for the right orbit is hard to hit and if its the only one open you have to make some decisions. Go for it or post pass to the right flipper or shoot your lock shot to get it back in the shooter lane, etc, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-chance-to-talk-me-out-or-in-for-tna-?tu=HookedonPinonics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.