(Topic ID: 225256)

Last chance to talk me out or in for TNA.

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2igmo8 (resized).jpg
E8B65A2B-EAF1-4DF8-9617-BF06955C58EA (resized).jpeg
erniebanks01 (resized).jpg
blacksox01 (resized).jpg
GOTY (resized).jpg
3CED42B0-6C4B-4B84-A7D7-F54F91011B42 (resized).jpeg
41170179_2327060917524263_195271306587930624_n (resized).jpg
BONKOS (resized).png
screen-shot-2018-01-23-at-9-54-59-am (resized).png
D009CC14-B345-41DD-8D03-2B248D0F6DD2 (resized).jpeg
sneetches-1 (resized).jpg
B1F7FFE1-572D-4E48-835F-1388637FEC68.png
download (resized).jpg
51F815BD-4A29-46F9-AA9D-DD30ACE0F130 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.32 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.40.34 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’ve got my TNA due for production next month.
I’ve played TNA one time really liked it but since then have picked up DI and AFM, them’s the breaks when you are waiting 6 months for a pin. I only played 10-12 games of TNA so it’s just a taste. And did my buying DI and AFM kind of lessen my desire for TNA somewhat?
During the time I’ve been waiting for TNA I also sold LotR, was a great pin but the long time commitment was it’s main fault. This is a big point in favor of TNA.
I want TNA but it’s going to be ‘game over’ for a long time until I can buy another game. So this brings the pressure for TNA to be the last pin for long time.
My pro list
-Spooky, Scott it’s nice to support the little guy
- short games and co-op and multi player and time run mode
- love the lights and music
- something *very different* from my other pins
My con list
- I’ve heard from 2-3 people say they got bored with it *real quick*
- maybe it’s a one trick pony? But sometimes if the one trick is very good that’s all you need.
- one person told me he wanted something different also but found that he doesn’t like different. My example is some people love pins from the 80s and some don’t. It’s possible if all pins were from the 80s I might not be into pinball at all. Maybe I’m into pinball because of the ramps and magnets and toys etc..

I'm sorry my schedule/travel has been so nutty, this weekend and next are crazy, unfortunately. And the dismantling of the basement is slowly starting to occur. The game should still be set up for a few months, tho (I think)

gotta say, your ambivalence says either sell your spot and just buy used at some point. Or trade down to a lower spot. If it were a $1,000 game, then you buy and just bang it around a little to see if you like it. But, this is a lot more cash. Sure seems like something you should either (A) be confident you really enjoy or (B) have some unending curiosity/excitement over (so much so that you're willing to take a blind leap). I'm not getting the feeling that you fall into either category... especially if you feel like you wouldn't even be in pinball if games were stuck in an 80s design mode.

Not sure I can speak for others that own the game, but I really dig 80's play... and I don't have issues with games like BSD that are frequently called a 'one trick pony.' In fact, I frequently find that those are the games I like to migrate toward (not always, of course, but frequently). Not sure if that helps you any... but my 2-cents for what its worth.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wysnow, if this thread bothers you just drain it, I don’t need your permission to make a thread or ask for advice last I checked.
Drain away.
If me selling my spot in the past bothers you, I think that’s a you problem.
[quoted image]

All you need to do is click this:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.40.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.40.34 PM (resized).png

And reward yourself with one less clown show.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

No big deal, I’ll probably get TNA based off reviews will probably love it.
I was more asking for some advice but seems like some guys have a lot of bile over me asking advice before dropping $6300 on TNA.
I will say 100% of the pins I bought were after playing less than 20 games elsewhere.
I mean Tron played zero games elsewhere, most of the others played on location or at someone’s house but just 10-20 games. So it’s not unheard of for me to buy a game off reviews, word of mouth, recommendations and playing a few handful of games.
I really don’t like playing games on location much, I played DI and AFM remake both on location was not super impressed with either until I got them in my home. I’m betting TNA will be the same story.
If I need to sell it, no big deal because I always figure to lose $500-$1500 on a pin not anything major and half my pins I have sold for more than I paid so I’m already ahead.

I agree about location play... frequently can leave a sour taste in your mouth. Unfortunately, the place you played those (if I'm guessing right) definitely doesn't always set its games up to perform their best. I've walked away several times discouraged because pitch is too flat, exceedingly dirty, no volume...

TNA really sings in the home, I think. Set it up right, waxed, and keep the sling switches gapped tight and you've got a game that moves really fast. There's some fun strategy for bumping up score. Great sound. It's a fun game. In your collection, think along the lines of Iron Man but slightly less complex.

#69 5 years ago

Like what?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.32 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.32 PM (resized).png

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not a shady deal. I am getting TNA. I was just asking for opinions like many people have done before, this is a pinball forum.
You are the one who said I should field offers, I think you have a bee in your bonnet about anyone selling a pin for a profit.
If someone wanted to jump way up in line and they wanted to pay a bit that's between me and them, not your problem.

Lest we forget Shillton’s emergency need to sell his NIB AMH for like $8k or 9k because of a great real estate investment opportunity...

Don’t let him poison your mind. It’s your game, it’s your spot, you can do whatever you want with it.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say this. If you play with other people a lot, there isn’t a better game that’s ever been created. Co-op/team modes are the greatest thing since flippers.

I wish I had more opportunities to play mine in a 4 player setting - it sits well a single player, for sure, but you’re right about the uniqueness of how it integrates with more than one player

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pinball is special. The only way to keep it special is to lose money on every deal.

Until it’s your turn to sell... then you (not you, chuck) deserve to make BANK!!

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Hilarious that the designer of the game actually commented on this thread and said sell it! Haha
Seriously though, you've been back and forth on this game for some time. That alone means unless the market is absolutely on fire you should def pass and buy it later
The market on this game is sinking (whysnow might even admit that at this point) with a 5900 game just sitting there still so I see no reason why you need to jump in now as these will be readily available.
Do yourself the favor and wait it out. It doesn't seem like a must have for you.

What is with your obsession with the market price for this game? You listed yours at $7k, what, 3 weeks ago? Time to move on, brother!

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

All of Spooky's games are trash. I feel like I'm playing one of my son's cardboard pinball machines that he builds, only the experience is WORSE.

Just prepping yourself for when you own your dream theme: Millionaire

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't know - maybe it comes across as an obsession but the pinball market fascinates me. The market on this game has changed significantly so it's been on my radar.
I also love when people who miss the market swings still swear the game is super hard to find at it's msrp. I would say that ship has sailed - this game is msrp and lower.
Carry on.... ; )

Yeah... no. The market can totally swing back the other way in a matter of weeks. To insinuate that somehow this game is in a rapid nose dive is misleading.

So a game is siting unsold. That’s only one example. Only a handful of these have exchanged hands - not nearly enough data points to draw any conclusions. It’s fluid.

Besides, you should lose money in any NIB buy then sell situation... and this game has never been hard to find at (or below) MSRP. Just call Spooky and you can buy one!

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Unless you don't know what you like. Then, ask others to tell you what to buy.

Only in pinball does someone ask others how to spend $6K+.

It's really crazy if you think about. If you drop $6K, every ounce of that move needs to be in your bones... or maybe not.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Didn't realize that....the reality is he should just get the game, play it, and then decide if he wants to keep it. My buddy has one and I've played it several times. Was going to order one, but I don't do non-refundable deposits out of principal...

I guess you could say that Spooky doesn't take orders without a token non-refundable deposit out of principal, too.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I understand their business decision, but in my opinion its not a good one! In start ups (and Ive been involved in dozens) its always a bad business decision to turn away customers at any level. If they were cash strong then deposits would be refundable.

It comes down to speed of production. They don't want to take 400 orders, pay for parts for each, and then have 70 dead-beats decide they don't want the game after all and leave them holding $70k in parts. It isn't a pre-order model... they're simply asking for a small amount of skin in the game. Very, very, small amount of risk for the buyer. Good insurance for the seller.

We just purchased some household finishings. Massive national company that's been around for decades and has a great reputation. Upon order we had to pay 40% up front. Three weeks later items were delivered and the balance was settled. That's a company with strong cash... I don't see an issue with a purchase deposit in any circumstance.

Now. If you're asking me to pay in entirety up front? Go pound sand!

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I understand their mentality .... if I was them I would have a priority list...if its non-refundable u jump ahead of the other customers. They should never turn away potential customers, and should figure out a way to capture them, which a non-refundable deposits allows you to do. Sure I am sure some would flake, but I suspect many like myself wouldn't .... just my opinion.

What customers are they turning away?

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I was one of them....they said the deposit was non refundable so I said no thanks...figured I'll just pick up the game second hand or when they actually have games ready to ship....

Have you ever built a home, done any renovations... purchased furniture? If not, you're in for a rude surprise

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s scoring nuances that are very well done like getting 4x playfield going and also going for reactor jackpots and maxing the reactor value.
Very fun mastering the lane save too. Very hard to get it down.
Also each reactor you’re on takes one more target to hit. It doesn’t just move one target around.
Hell being able to plunge the reactor is a skill in and of itself and is really fun to practice.
The price keeps it out of my house for now, but the game is effing fantastic.

To add... put it on hard settings and you'll see it all taken to a more difficult level, which makes it even more exciting

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

The game is way much more than that. Yes that is the track you must take in order to destroy all 9 reactors but the strategy on how to achieve that and maximize your score is another thing. Each reactor can be maxed out. 1st reactor is 75k, 2nd reactor is 115k I believe, and it just goes up from there. The 1st reactor starts at 25k. So do you just go and destroy that 1st reactor for those low points or do you try and max out the value of that reactor? While doing this do you use your multi ball to make it easier to max out the reactor and take advantage of the playfield multipliers or do you take the opportunity to use this multi ball to go for your jackpots which are your drop targets. Now this is where the fun really picks up. Each drop target is a different jackpot value. 1st one is 1x then 2x then 3x. If you knock them all down and get in the scoop its a super jackpot as well as an add a ball. But.....the jackpots are worth higher as the you get deeper in the reactors so if you are getting jackpots and are only on the 1st reactor, the jackpots are not worth as much. So is the strategy to get thru several reactors and then go for jackpots or not? Or is it just maximizing your reactor values and using the multi ball to destroy the reactors at 3x value and not risk getting jackpots for you might lose the balls. Jackpots are a ton of fun for you have only 5 seconds to get each drop target down before it pops back up. Other strategies is using your save lanes (which are a ton of fun). If you use one on the outlane you get your ball back. If you use it when its going down an inlane you get a 10 sec ball save. So do you use this for completing your center target grid to start a reactor or do you use this for your locks? Maybe use it for whatever target you have to hit. Or do you continually stack your ball saves (which you can do) and use them to progress thru the game easier? There are a ton of other elements to this game to go deep into like the skill shots and short plunging and everything else but I can take a long time describing it all. Like all games, having in a home setting or putting a lot of time on a game will open up a whole world of possibilities. Not just playing a few times. I have Medieval Madness and can make the argument that there is not much to do in the game as well. People also discounting this game saying there is not much shots is weird as well. There are a ton of shots. 3 stand ups on the left, left orbit, left scoop, 3 middle standups, right ball lock lane, right orbit, pop bumper and 3 stand ups in the core which maximize your reactor value if you hit all 3 in succession. Each one of these shots is utilized in this game. I have to hit the stand ups in TNA. I do not have to hit them in MM. I love both games and both games offer what the other one does not.

Add the above comment to this!

Also, not sure about you, but I find myself flipping up the lanes in the reactor to complete lanes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-chance-to-talk-me-out-or-in-for-tna-?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.