(Topic ID: 225256)

Last chance to talk me out or in for TNA.

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2igmo8 (resized).jpg
E8B65A2B-EAF1-4DF8-9617-BF06955C58EA (resized).jpeg
erniebanks01 (resized).jpg
blacksox01 (resized).jpg
GOTY (resized).jpg
3CED42B0-6C4B-4B84-A7D7-F54F91011B42 (resized).jpeg
41170179_2327060917524263_195271306587930624_n (resized).jpg
BONKOS (resized).png
screen-shot-2018-01-23-at-9-54-59-am (resized).png
D009CC14-B345-41DD-8D03-2B248D0F6DD2 (resized).jpeg
sneetches-1 (resized).jpg
B1F7FFE1-572D-4E48-835F-1388637FEC68.png
download (resized).jpg
51F815BD-4A29-46F9-AA9D-DD30ACE0F130 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.32 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.40.34 PM (resized).png

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

seriously? The guy has some incredible pins that are far more interesting than TNA i.e. AFMRLE, AC/DC, MET, DI, WOZ, etc.....all those games have way more going on than TNA....TNA is a really fun pin, but not even in the same league as those other games.

The only thing that TNA shares with the other games is that it's a pinball machine. That's kinda where it ends. And that's the reason why TNA is as good as it is.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The only thing that TNA shares with the other games is that it's a pinball machine. That's kinda where it ends. And that's the reason why TNA is as good as it is.

some people get "it" and others just need to play the game more before they get "it"

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

True, and I agree its unique and a incredibly fun game....that being said its not in the same league as those other games.

#154 5 years ago

Not every pinball is for everyone, but you gotta try it first. Get a few games in. Ignore everything else. Get immersed in the lights and sounds. For people that think it falls flat on "world under glass" or whatever it's called now, TNA is up there with LOTR or BM66 or Alien as far as immersion goes.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

True, and I agree its unique and a incredibly fun game....that being said its not in the same league as those other games.

You're right. It's in its own league, and that's not a bad thing.

#156 5 years ago

Anyway rai it sounds like you made a decision and I hope you're happy with the game. Like with any game, you can always sell it if it doesn't do it for you. GL!

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You're right. It's in its own league, and that's not a bad thing.

Not at all....very unique pin...

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Not every pinball is for everyone, but you gotta try it first. Get a few games in. Ignore everything else. Get immersed in the lights and sounds. For people that think it falls flat on "world under glass" or whatever it's called now, TNA is up there with LOTR or BM66 or Alien as far as immersion goes.

I’ve had plenty of time on TNA with the music pumping and have seen all it has to offer.

The game is great, but I’d get almost every game the OP has in his collection before adding TNA.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve had plenty of time on TNA with the music pumping and have seen all it has to offer.
The game is great, but I’d get almost every game the OP has in his collection before adding TNA.

nobody ever claimed you had great taste

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

couldn't agree more....

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And that's ok. But the difference is that OP already has those games, and is looking for something new. Unless his thoughts have changed, getting the next new Stern will be just adding to the same pile.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

All of Spooky's games are trash. I feel like I'm playing one of my son's cardboard pinball machines that he builds, only the experience is WORSE.

Anyone can look at your game ratings and figure out that your opinions on pinball are pretty useless.

TNA and SW get a 1, every game you own gets a 10 lol. After all, nothing can top Twister.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

some people get "it" and others just need to play the game more before they get "it"

So tired of hearing this....some peole do not like TNA and never will...its really not for everybody. Those of us who dont care for it are always accused of "not getting it"

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

So tired of hearing this....some peole do not like TNA and never will...its really not for everybody. Those of us who dont care for it are always accused of "not getting it"

Those of us that do get it are tired of you not getting it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I love tna but could care less if anyone else likes it. No clue why people buy a game then try to cram it down everyone elses throat. Buy what you like, enjoy the hobby.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Buy what you like

Unless you don't know what you like. Then, ask others to tell you what to buy.

#166 5 years ago

TnA better than all of his others games is absolute bonkers. Jesus the pinside hype meter is insane on this game. I owned it, I get it. It's a good game.

I know everyone has differing opinions but TnA being better than ALL of those classics?

screen-shot-2018-01-23-at-9-54-59-am (resized).pngscreen-shot-2018-01-23-at-9-54-59-am (resized).png
#167 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Unless you don't know what you like. Then, ask others to tell you what to buy.

Only in pinball does someone ask others how to spend $6K+.

It's really crazy if you think about. If you drop $6K, every ounce of that move needs to be in your bones... or maybe not.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

TnA better than all of his others games is absolute bonkers. Jesus the pinside hype meter is insane on this game. I owned it, I get it. It's a good game.
I know everyone has differing opinions but TnA being better than ALL of those classics? [quoted image]

trust me I get it...its a unique and entertaining game, but saying its better than those others games in completely insane ...I think TNA works great in a larger collection....

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

you still dont understand what a smiley emoticon means...

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it is all different for everyone.
I personally own probably 80 games and if you told me today I had to sell all but 1, TNA would be staying.

Really? REALLY?

BONKOS (resized).pngBONKOS (resized).png
#171 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I know everyone has differing opinions but TnA being better than ALL of those classics?

Clutch the precious Pinside pearls I know, right???

It’s really not that hard to comprehend.
Sometimes people just get burnt out from repeatedly playing the same collection of “status quo” pins and eventually come to the honest realization that they’d actually rather own a Torpedo Alley, Alien Star, Cheetah, Pit Stop or *gasp* an old woodrail like Williams Rocket, before having to buy another AFM, WOZ, MET, Acadaca, etc...

I certainly fall into this above camp and I guess that’s why I can still enjoy (and appreciate) a seemingly “simple” game like TNA so much.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Anyone can look at your game ratings and figure out that your opinions on pinball are pretty useless.
TNA and SW get a 1, every game you own gets a 10 lol. After all, nothing can top Twister.

And he's a bitter White Sox fan to boot. Sure to be even more bitter soon as the Cubs make the playoffs yet again!

But I digress ... TNA is the best game ever! No wait ... it's the worst game ever! Damn - I need someone decisive to weigh in. OP - help us out. Surely by 172 (and counting!!!) posts in this thread, you can put this critical issue to rest. Which is it???

#173 5 years ago

Well, when the actually designer of the game is chiming in to tell you NOT to buy it, I guess that’s the end-all-be-all of opinions to listen to.
Then again,
Scott is a VERY clever, smart, talented (and don’t forget handsome!) guy and is pRoBaBlY using reverse psychology on Rai.

Or is he?

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

It’s really not that hard to comprehend.
Sometimes people just get burnt out from repeatedly playing the same collection of “status quo” pins and eventually come to the honest realization that they’d actually rather own a Torpedo Alley, Alien Star, Cheetah, Pit Stop or *gasp* an old woodrail like Williams Rocket, before having to buy another AFM, WOZ, MET, Acadaca, etc

And then they suddenly wake up.......

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Why spend $5k on this new pin that was designed like an old style game with no ramps, etc. when you can spend the same amount on one of the new games today that have more in it.

If it doesn't have ramps, why is "Super Ramps" one of the mystery reward options? I'm going to keep playing until I figure it out.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

does this really need its own thread?
sorry, not sorry...
you have been in, then flipped for profit, then back in, then not sure, then in, then maybe, then for sure in, then ???
I dont think you are going to be happy with this or any pin in the long run, but base don where your collection seems to be going I think you are going to really love this one and it will outlast many others.

Do you really need to come in and piss on a guys thread

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

And then they suddenly wake up.......

Yeah, but if you’re waking up still stuck in the Pinside Matrix, can you REALLY believe/say you’re actually waking up?
3CED42B0-6C4B-4B84-A7D7-F54F91011B42 (resized).jpeg3CED42B0-6C4B-4B84-A7D7-F54F91011B42 (resized).jpeg

#178 5 years ago

41170179_2327060917524263_195271306587930624_n (resized).jpg41170179_2327060917524263_195271306587930624_n (resized).jpg
#179 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Do you really need to come in and piss on a guys thread

To be fair, this is like the "n"th time OP has posted this question over the last several months. It gets old. Just make a damn decision!

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

To be fair, this is like the "n"th time OP has posted this question over the last several months. It gets old. Just make a damn decision!

Didn't realize that....the reality is he should just get the game, play it, and then decide if he wants to keep it. My buddy has one and I've played it several times. Was going to order one, but I don't do non-refundable deposits out of principal...

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Didn't realize that....the reality is he should just get the game, play it, and then decide if he wants to keep it. My buddy has one and I've played it several times. Was going to order one, but I don't do non-refundable deposits out of principal...

I guess you could say that Spooky doesn't take orders without a token non-refundable deposit out of principal, too.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I guess you could say that Spooky doesn't take orders without a token non-refundable deposit out of principal, too.

I understand their business decision, but in my opinion its not a good one! In start ups (and Ive been involved in dozens) its always a bad business decision to turn away customers at any level. If they were cash strong then deposits would be refundable.

#183 5 years ago

If there wasn't a non-refundable deposit I'm guessing most of their limited games would "sell out" in a day. At least half of those would be investors who are ordering on a hope and a dream. I think that would just be chaos to try to manage. It would be great to just make games and sell them as they are coming off the line, but Spooky is very small (but growing) company. What they did was a huge risk. What you're suggesting would have been insanity. If you haven't already there is a documentary about the startup of Spooky. Perhaps selling games as they come off the line will be an option for the future, but I'm not sure they are at that level of production.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I understand their business decision, but in my opinion its not a good one! In start ups (and Ive been involved in dozens) its always a bad business decision to turn away customers at any level. If they were cash strong then deposits would be refundable.

It comes down to speed of production. They don't want to take 400 orders, pay for parts for each, and then have 70 dead-beats decide they don't want the game after all and leave them holding $70k in parts. It isn't a pre-order model... they're simply asking for a small amount of skin in the game. Very, very, small amount of risk for the buyer. Good insurance for the seller.

We just purchased some household finishings. Massive national company that's been around for decades and has a great reputation. Upon order we had to pay 40% up front. Three weeks later items were delivered and the balance was settled. That's a company with strong cash... I don't see an issue with a purchase deposit in any circumstance.

Now. If you're asking me to pay in entirety up front? Go pound sand!

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It comes down to speed of production. They don't want to take 400 orders, pay for parts for each, and then have 70 dead-beats decide they don't want the game after all and leave them holding $70k in parts. It isn't a pre-order model... they're simply asking for a small amount of skin in the game. Very, very, small amount of risk for the buyer. Good insurance for the seller.
We just purchased some household finishings. Massive national company that's been around for decades and has a great reputation. Upon order we had to pay 40% up front. Three weeks later items were delivered and the balance was settled. That's a company with strong cash... I don't see an issue with a purchase deposit in any circumstance.
Now. If you're asking me to pay in entirety up front? Go pound sand!

I understand their mentality .... if I was them I would have a priority list...if its non-refundable u jump ahead of the other customers. They should never turn away potential customers, and should figure out a way to capture them, which a non-refundable deposits allows you to do. Sure I am sure some would flake, but I suspect many like myself wouldn't .... just my opinion.

#186 5 years ago

I think the real question has yet to be asked... is it imamaculate? And does it include legs?

Brad

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I understand their mentality .... if I was them I would have a priority list...if its non-refundable u jump ahead of the other customers. They should never turn away potential customers, and should figure out a way to capture them, which a non-refundable deposits allows you to do. Sure I am sure some would flake, but I suspect many like myself wouldn't .... just my opinion.

What customers are they turning away?

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Did you see Iceman's thread?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/le-s-new-releases-and-ripping-people-off-wtf

Stern must be in rough shape then

#189 5 years ago

Yep...totally different scenario....Stern is a capitalized company that drives significant revenue, suspect is very profitable, and already has a very large customer base. Not a relevant comparison. Start ups are a totally different deal.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What customers are they turning away?

I was one of them....they said the deposit was non refundable so I said no thanks...figured I'll just pick up the game second hand or when they actually have games ready to ship....

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I was one of them....they said the deposit was non refundable so I said no thanks...figured I'll just pick up the game second hand or when they actually have games ready to ship....

I wouldn't call that Spooky saying "we're not selling you a game." That's more like, "I don't like your terms, so I'm not buying a game."

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yep...totally different scenario....Stern is a capitalized company that drives significant revenue, suspect is very profitable, and already has a very large customer base. Not a relevant comparison. Start ups are a totally different deal.

I wouldn't call Spooky start-up either, they're on their 6th game now? Their business model works for them. They can't afford to order hundreds of WWELE armor and have it sitting in a warehouse, waiting for a game like GOTGLE to use it on. It would put them under.

Not sure why Stern is taking the non-refundable deposit route either, but same thing goes. They are likely doing it because they are ordering parts for 500 (LE) preorders, but 100 back out and it's not something that is sustainable long term.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Have you ever built a home, done any renovations... purchased furniture? If not, you're in for a rude surprise

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Have you ever built a home, done any renovations... purchased furniture? If not, you're in for a rude surprise

Actually dozens of times on the building homes, and renovating existing homes so yes I understand the issue...its all about cash flow

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Actually dozens of times on the building homes, and renovating existing homes so yes I understand the issue...its all about cash flow

Perhaps you can offer Spooky 10mil or so in capital so they can never have to not say no to you again?

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Jesus the pinside hype meter is insane on this game.

I can't agree with this enough. Most games like this would be crucified on this site...prime reactor, start reactor, overload reactor, destroy reactor...now do that 9 times! Sure, the destroy shot moves around...this time it's the "R"...last time it was the "A"...that really shakes things up. And I can move the ball save shot around...awesome.

I forgot, also start multiball before starting in on the reactor sequence. Don't tell me I don't get it, because I do. I've played it a lot. The music, lights and cabinet are very cool. The gameplay got ultra-repetitive very quickly, and the music and lights can't make up for that. And if I have to play the game with 4 people to get the best it has to offer, that's a problem.

It's a fast and frenetic game. That I can appreciate, and in a large collection would give a varied game experience. But in my opinion (key words there), the best game ever hype is outrageous. If this really were the only machine in anyone's collection, I don't think it would get the love that it generates now. I think they'd have a psychotic break from the repetition...and from it being linear!!

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I think they'd have a psychotic break from the repetition...and from it being linear!!

just for some quick perspective on how others see the same thing about games you love

MMr > hit the standard fan layout of shots 4 times and then start multiball and hit jackpots. Uggh, chopping wood
STLE, GBLE, GOTGLE > all can be spoken about in the single snese since they are essentially all the same game. Hit a shot to start a mode, hit the blinking shots to complete a mode, and back something (ship, slimer, groot) to start a mutliball.

People look at repetition differently; I for one cant imagine having a 4 pin colelciton and 3 of them are all Stern LEs. blarrrgh

#198 5 years ago

I re-read my last post, and it sounds a little harsh. I've played the game and watched a lot of video. To be fair...if there's more to TNA gameplay than I give it credit for, please explain it to me. And "just play it more and you'll get it" is not an explanation.

#199 5 years ago

I LOVE mine. Will never part with it. Best family game we have. And it has made me SO_ much better with my flipper skills and precision.

It can get old of course. So I'll play other pins for a couple weeks. Then come back and its a frenetic blast again.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I re-read my last post, and it sounds a little harsh. I've played the game and watched a lot of video. To be fair...if there's more to TNA gameplay than I give it credit for, please explain it to me. And "just play it more and you'll get it" is not an explanation.

I am not sure how to explain it all, but I love the game because it is very simple to understand (as you say; just open reactor, overheat it, and kill it) and tangible (you can see your locks and steal locks), but the challenge is immense but achievable.

The fast pace of the game is right up my alley and there is a distinct strategy with multiple different objectives (reactors, just score, speed runs, co-op, co-op competitive, supper spinners, actually get a super jackpot, skillshots to choose from) but they all provide their own challenges to accomplish.

Toss on top of all the great game play with almost perfectly balanced risk v reward (both physical and code) plus great soundtrack and light show, cool story line, etc... and you have a home run.

I personally dont need ramps or flashy toys to keep me occupied and most game I look at like the same flat piece of wood and limited trajectories, but it is how you pull me in and keep me engaged. That takes fun feeling shots, ability to achieve but challenge to keep me coming back, and the feeling that the game plays "fair" (i.e. I can make all the shots and do all the things, but doing them in the perfect ball and perfect game is nearly impossible)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-chance-to-talk-me-out-or-in-for-tna-/page/4?hl=spirou and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.