(Topic ID: 140209)

Last attempt :-( RCT Opto blows transistor. I'm baffled.

By adam12hicks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3981.jpg
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boagman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 8 years ago

So, wait, I'm confused about the position of the opto in the game. Is this the opto *directly behind* the drop target in the right loop, where the ball is supposed to rest when modes are started?

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that it was on a ramp, and that particular opto is at playfield level, on either side of the ball guide. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the ball guide has cut-outs for the opto beam to point through.

Is that the one you're referring to, or is it actually on a ramp somewhere else, like behind the Ghost target on the center ramp entrance, or elsewhere?

To me, it sure sounds like you're talking about Switch 38, the Sweeper Opto, according to the diagram. Is that correct?

Here's what I'm thinking, and it may or may not be the case for you: on mine, my drop target actuator coil fried and wouldn't work at all. The switch(es) themselves were fine, but with the coil being a problem child, it sure was acting like I had a blown transistor, which I didn't. I just had a fried coil, which, upon replacement, solved the issue.

Perhaps yours isn't dead, but *suppose that* it's dying, or in the process of being fried (which is what happened to mine). When the ball hits that opto, it *tries* to activate the drop target actuator, but with the coil being fried/dying, the transistor gets blown as a result. Now, here's why I think my theory deserves some thought: TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT ELSE IS ON Q5. That's right, Maynard, the drop target actuator switch, too (Switch 39). I'd take a strong look at that assembly, the Sweeper drop target switch, and that coil. The coil is very inexpensive if you buy it from Steve Young at Pinball Resource (I bought three, they were so cheap, and my Terminator 3 uses the exact same one for its drop target assembly), and may be what's causing your transistor to blow.

Or I could be totally full of crap. It's just a theory...but I think I could be onto something. When you take the Sweeper opto away, the machine never fires the assembly, so the transistor won't blow when it has issues. Change it out with a new transistor, and the same assembly ends up blowing the same transistor, but it *only does it because the opto is doing its job*. Methinks you've got a problem with the assembly, not the opto.

At this point, whatcha got to lose?

EDITED TO ADD: hey, here's an additional idea. You know how you've been isolating the opto from the game and the transistor won't blow? I'd be willing to bet that if you completely remove the Sweeper drop target assembly *but leave the Sweeper opto in and operating*, the machine wouldn't blow the transistor. Then you would *know* that the problem is with the drop target assembly, whether it's the coil I specifically referred to, or to the drop target registration switch. I'm with the others about the opto, though...if it's working, that's not going to be what's blowing your transistor.

#32 8 years ago

Okay, please listen to me: I'm now even *more sure* about my theory. Look, *just look* at the "Coils Detailed Chart Table". Feast your eyes on #5, please: 1-Bank Trip. That's that same tiny coil I was talking about for the Sweeper drop target actuator/trip. It knocks the thing down when the mode starts in order to free the ball. Now, this is important: look VERY CAREFULLY at the drive transistor for that very coil. What is that drive transistor for that tiny little coil? IT'S Q5.

Q5 is your problem child, and you *think* it has to be related to the switches in that row, BUT IN FACT, it's directly related to, and more taxed by, this tiny little coil. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet good money that *this coil assembly* is where your issue is. The opto and switches in that row are probably perfectly normal...but that coil is blowing that transistor. You need to replace that coil.

Remember: this isn't a massive high-powered coil like the major coils in the game, this is just a tiny little guy, and he tends to fry easily. Take it from someone who's been there.

Or don't. But you're spending an awful lot of time/money to find a problem that isn't there.

#34 8 years ago

Okay, if you say so. I'll be quiet. That being said, "Q5" could easily be misconstrued.

#46 8 years ago

So, wait...if it *is* related to that drop target assembly, what kind of bottle do I get?

1 week later
#54 8 years ago

A-hem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boagman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-attempt-rct-opto-blows-transistor-im-baffled?tu=boagman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.