Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ahdelarge
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

OK, here's the story, game plays great other than this one issue. Periodically during game play, the flippers will go dead and the bonus for that ball rewarded, almost as if the ball drained even though it didn't. I replaced the ball trough switched, that didn't do it, and they all function fine during the diagnostics. The problem got worse when I fixed the shaker motor, seems like the issue happens when the crane is moving or the shaker is functioning, so I'm thinking a switch adjustment. No tilt or other animations appear on the display so I don't think it would be elsewhere. I guess my question is could this be related to a different switch? Could it be the IC that controls the switch matrix? A possibly related issue is that sometimes, if you hit both flippers at the same time, the shooter coil will fire, this is acceptable when launching a ball, but should not be happening during game play. Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Sounds as though you have a flaky switch somewhere. In test mode, check to make sure one you activate all switches, only one activates. Check the trough switch connections as well as the shooter lane switch as well for a possible short happening.

If it's an IC, or board related, it will usually be at least an entire column/row line of switches.

#3 8 years ago

In diagnostics it isn't really showing any issues, I messed with all the trough switches. Looking in the manual, all the trough switches and the one shooter lane switch are in the same column, on one transistor. Maybe the transistor for that column in the switch matrix? Would that possibly cause this?

#4 8 years ago

That's an easy one.. it'll be one of the trough switches. 100% positive. DE trough switches are notoriously bad.

Replace them all if you can.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

That's an easy one.. it'll be one of the trough switches. 100% positive. DE trough switches are notoriously bad.

+1 to the above!

I would imagine it would be the first switch in the trough closest to the ball drain section.

Another thing you can do is put it in switch test mode and nudge/shake your machine for awhile until you get the switch to falsely activate (in fact, remove one ball before you do it, so it would mimic the one ball in play).

Wait for the suspect switch to activate, and BAM. There it is

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Another thing you can do is put it in switch test mode and nudge/shake your machine for awhile until you get the switch to falsely activate (in fact, remove one ball before you do it, so it would mimic the one ball in play).

I tried exactly this in test mode. I cannot get it to activate. Even when I mess with the wiring, still nothing. Tried both with the balls in and out. The reason why i was thinking something to do with the IC or transistor is because there is also an issue with the ball launch coil firing sometimes when both flipper buttons are triggered even if the ball is in play.

#7 8 years ago

Hi btw.... One of the most fun playing pins
Of aalll time !!
I have the same problem. Im upgrading cpu
Chip. See if it helps.
Good luck

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Hi btw.... One of the most fun playing pins
Of aalll time !!
Chip. See if it helps.
Good luck

What have you tried so far beyond the usual trough switches?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Bartzenegger said:Hi btw.... One of the most fun playing pins
Of aalll time !!
Chip. See if it helps.
Good luck
What have you tried so far beyond the usual trough switches?

Really just the switches. I did find a switch
Was so close together that it when i flipped
It caused the slingshot to activate which made the gunshot
Sound. But everytime i lock a ball and cr
Crane is in position for loading i get a sound. Im thinking software.
Does yours react like that?

#10 8 years ago

No, mine doesnt effect the sling shots.

Anyway, not wanting to wait for mail order, I went to radio shack and picked up some lever switches to replace the ones in the ball trough. I figured if clay recommended them in pinrepair, they should be fine. I replaced the first 3 switches, and still the same issue. Not only that, but now I am fighting the switches to adjust them so the ball will roll over them and register...it is so frustrating. I did replace the transistor on that switch column just to see, still the same problem. So overall, not a good day in my pin repair world. I think from here I am just going to order 6 more switches to replace them all, AGAIN, and the 2 IC's. Figure why waste time. Definitely the one big problem with pin repair is that the stuff i need is usuallya week away from whenI order, nothing local to pick up parts.

#11 8 years ago

You're going overboard. Don't start replacing random stuff. If it was an IC, in would be taking out a whole row or column.

I know you're frustrated, but either one of the trough switches or a switch in one of the trough rows/columns is shorting out, or has a bad diode, allowing the entire row/column to activate.

It it's intermittent, it’s almost always a connection. Check all the switches in the column for the trough, and each switch in each row. Look for anything loose or that is too close to another wire/metal part.

Vibration is likely causing the short to occur. If you are going to replace anything, just do the through switches, but this doesn’t sound board side.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You're going overboard. Don't start replacing random stuff. If it was an IC, in would be taking out a whole row or column.

I know. Its just tough when I order stuff, wait a week, then realize that wasn't it and have to wait another week to get something else. So I ordered the switches AND the IC's. I replace all the switches first and take it from there. The IC's are cheap enough that its good to have on hand. But yes...I am very frustrated at this point with these trough switches.

4 years later
#13 3 years ago

Did this issue ever get resolved?

I am getting the same issue. Crane starts moving, shaker motor vibrates the whole machine and then another ball is shot into play with the on screen display reading "don't move!" like the ball has drained too early. I suspected a faulty trough switch.

Cheers!
Adam.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside