(Topic ID: 215561)

Last Action Hero OR Rollercoaster Tycoon?

By Pinball-Pat

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Roller Coaster Tycoon or Last Action Hero?”

• Last Action Hero 36 votes
    58%
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 23 votes
    37%
  • Something else you know of and have a sweet PM tip for me :) 3 votes
    5%

(62 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Well pinside gurus. Pinbot is off to a new home and I've got some cash in the $3500 - $4000 CAD range.
I've had LAH and RCT on my radar for a while now. What should it be? Arnold or the Wacky haired troll?

I like the flippers and general layout of RCT. I have kids that love to play, seems great for them too. Not crazy about the rules feedback that I've read so far.

LAH, don't know that much except it seems feature packed.

Fill me in folks,

Pinball-Pat

#2 6 years ago

I vote last action hero fun game the crane is a cool toy and you got lines by Arnond. RCT can be a long playing game just grinding ramps for multiball which makes it boring a little.

#3 6 years ago

I say LAH just because it’s PACKED (shaker, magnets, crane, etc...) and IMO RCT is kinda ugly and cheap feeling.

#4 5 years ago

No love for roller coaster tycoon? I didn’t expect this so one sided...

#5 5 years ago

I bought a Lah recently and it's been getting tons of love if you pick one up you must buy the movie to go with it.it's fairly easy to keep the ball alive for good ball time but the modes are still a challenge to complete.and if you ever go to sell it will move much faster than rct.

#6 5 years ago

Pretty sure many will say lah

And that's because it's the better game

#7 5 years ago

LAH is a great game. Been hunting for a decent priced lah since I started collecting. Classic data east rules/feel. Crane, shaker. Grab a alt translite and you're good to go!

Rrc maybe for the kids but to easy for even casual player. Multiball off a skill shot? Unless you like to move games in and out don't see rcc lasting long.

#8 5 years ago

I’d say LAH too.

#9 5 years ago

My other game is a Hobbit, so I'm not really looking for another "longer" playing game.
If only Iron Man were $4000, that would solve it

#10 5 years ago

Having owned both, it's definitely LAH.

RCT is a great 4-flipper layout that's really fun to shoot, but where it falls flat is in the code. There are only 6 modes, and two of those are identical (Dunk the Dummy and Super Dunk). The upper loop is fun to shoot multiple times, but there's literally no switch or scoring for it. I would say RCT is an ideal candidate for a P-ROC 2.0 version.

LAH is a lot of fun to play, with a bunch of varied modes that have you shooting all over the playfield. Add in the super cheesy Arnie quotes and a super cool crane toy with a standard shaker motor that runs whenever it moves.

LAH for the win!

Later,
EV

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

My other game is a Hobbit, so I'm not really looking for another "longer" playing game.
If only Iron Man were $4000, that would solve it

Lots of great 90s dmd games in the 4k cdn range. Fishtales and bsd fit the bill of fun, fast games next to your hobbit. Pinhead306 in Regina has a demo man for $3500 that seems like a fun game and he's heading up for yegpin.

Good luck on your search!

#12 5 years ago

LAH by a mile.

Find a best DE machine but I would say LAH is the winner. Never miss it you will regret else.
Very much underrated pin.

#13 5 years ago

And what are folks paying for LAH these days in nice shape? $2500-3000?

Is the AC/DC song on it in classic DE 8-bit form?

#14 5 years ago

I paid $2100 for mine a month ago and it's in great shape with just a small wear spot on the ticket.it has part of an AC/DC and Megadeth song.

#15 5 years ago

Having owned and sold both RCT would be my pick. LAH just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it was the theme but it left quickly. RCT isn’t a stand alone pin, needs to be in a group of 4 or more or it will not last.

#16 5 years ago

LAH is my pick and be sure to get caker's code update. I played RCT when it used to be on location at Cactus Jacks and it was fun, but it never had that one more game feel. The modes in LAH are all unique and you can stack most of them.

One of the things about LAH is you can time out most of the modes to get to the wizard mode (World Premier), but the scoring is based on how you did in the modes so it won't be very lucrative if you do. Also, I think LAH the movie is underrated and misunderstood. It's both a spoof and an homage to action movies.

BTW, this game has lots of callouts from Arnie, but there's also a callout from Danny Devito at the start of Cat Millions. It's the closest we'll ever get to that "Twins" pin everyone has always wanted, but I digress. Anyway, the Cat Millions target is deadly unless hit with a glancing shot, but can be lucrative if hit 3 times (or more?) during the mode as the points are additive for successive shots (i.e., the third shot also scores the first and second shot values again ). Also, almost every mode can be time extended and the value increased with a dangerous shot to the left captive ball. In some cases, it even makes sense to "waste" your single smart missile IF you have the right modes stacked. I love that kind of risk/reward.

#17 5 years ago

Last Action Hero, I bought a dirty one cheap and planned on flipping it. It's all cleaned up in the basement with a Pinsound on the way. It's a great game.

#18 5 years ago

And another vote for LAH. Was my first one, and despite the cabinet being shot on mine (playfield is great though), it will not leave my collection and it always ends up the most played machine when I have people over.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I paid $2100 for mine a month ago and it's in great shape with just a small wear spot on the ticket.it has part of an AC/DC and Megadeth song.

Picked up a very nice LAH about 6 months ago for $1800. For the money, it sure is a fun pin with a lot going on. So far, very reliable. Gets a lot of attention when people come over. Too bad DE didn't do something about their notorious speaker static, but it really doesn't bother me.

1 week later
#20 5 years ago

Somehow this escalated into a Star Wars Pro that is now happily in my basement
Big thanks to FlipperFreak for bringing this out to YEGPIN this year. Was great to meet you Tommy, and my family is already loving Star Wars.

Regarding this thread, at the end of the day I didn't want to commit to the code of RCT, and the theme of LAH wasn't doing it for me.

Thanks for all the input guys,

Pinball-Pat

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
York, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-or-rollercoaster-tycoon?hl=onlydjz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.