• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54775429-59DE-4C5A-AD8B-5A9712630ABF (resized).jpeg
091D339A-766B-441C-9564-D63DD7A716DB (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I just purchased a Last Action Hero and I noticed the playfield magnets were not working during multi-ball and confirmed this in the diagnostics. I noticed under the playfield each magnet has a fuse in a block located near them. All 3 fuses were burned on mine. I pulled them out and they were 2a 250v slow blow fuses. It seems like the game uses mostly 5a so I'm not sure if the 2a are correct. Does anyone know if the 2a are the correct fuses for that application? Anyway I replaced all 3 fuses with the same 2a slow blows and the magnets worked again! For a few games at least... Until it burned all 3 fuses again. Looking around a bit I see that this can be a common issue. Namely it looks like people had issues with the magnets burning out the F9 fuse which also controls the ripper. Mine is not doing that its just blowing the 3 under the playfield fuses. I see a few people used a Clays guide to modify the magnet board by replacing the mofsets and adding a cap on the IC chip but I can't find the guide anywhere. I would appreciate any assistance in getting my magnets working again!

#2 6 years ago

for what i remember, should be 3A SB... but better waiting more to be sure

edit correction : found it back here on pinside, its 3A SB

#3 6 years ago

3 amp is correct. I also purchased a new magnet board from Great Lakes Modular.

#4 6 years ago

Great thanks the previous owner had 2a installed so I'm going to put 3a SB in. I am also going to add a .22uf cap between pins 11 (clock) and 10 (ground) to see if that works. If not then I am going to grab some IRL540 mosfets from Great Planes and see if replacing those helps.

#5 6 years ago

I had some magnet trouble on my LAH as well, you maybe lucky because if it's blowing the below pf fuses then it's likey the transistors on the magnet board are shorted. If you do change the board and it does not fix, then it may be one of the PIAs on the driver board. I ended up swapping out the driver board.

#6 6 years ago

The magnets on LAH have a tendency to get locked on as you've seen in other posts, I would double check that isn't happening in yours before you put a heavier fuse in and the magnets get even hotter before burning the fuses out. Mine was doing that too before I put all new parts and did the modifications like you said on that little control board under the playfield but when mine got locked on it got the playfield really hot. Just don't want you to burn your playfield by putting heavier fuses in before checking the easy stuff.

#7 6 years ago

I had one magnet read ok , but would lock on even with new bosrd. New magnet installed and all good.

#8 6 years ago

Great advice everyone thank you. I may just perform the board mods before installing the heavier fuses just to be safe like you said. Will report back with the results.

1 month later
#9 6 years ago

Just wanted to leave an update and close this conversation. Sorry it's been so long was in a bad car accident and was recovering. I added a .22uf cap between pins 11 (clock) and 10 (ground) on the 74HCT273 chip and then I replaced the P20N10 mosfet with IRL540 mosfets from Great Planes. I changed all 3 fuses to 3A SB and the game workes like a champ now. We played all evening and the magnets are still going strong and no blown fuses. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

4 months later
#10 5 years ago

Dumb question but does the polarity matter on this .22 cap on the IC? I would assume that the ground goes to ground but wanted to make sure.

2 months later
#11 5 years ago

I am having trouble with blowing fuses. There is a modification on the board is this a factory recommended mod?

091D339A-766B-441C-9564-D63DD7A716DB (resized).jpeg091D339A-766B-441C-9564-D63DD7A716DB (resized).jpeg54775429-59DE-4C5A-AD8B-5A9712630ABF (resized).jpeg54775429-59DE-4C5A-AD8B-5A9712630ABF (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ChicagoPinReplay:

Just wanted to leave an update and close this conversation. Sorry it's been so long was in a bad car accident and was recovering. I added a .22uf cap between pins 11 (clock) and 10 (ground) on the 74HCT273 chip and then I replaced the P20N10 mosfet with IRL540 mosfets from Great Planes. I changed all 3 fuses to 3A SB and the game workes like a champ now. We played all evening and the magnets are still going strong and no blown fuses. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Im having a similar issue, can anyone please post pics and/or more info about this .22uf capacitor ? How many volts should it be?
Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-magnets-not-working?hl=jkaiser123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.