• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211105_124831 (resized).jpg
20211105_124238 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone. Looking for some feedback on my Last Action Hero problem. Initially got the game with F6 and F9 blowing fuses. Isolated the problem to magnets being locked on. Rebuilt magnet board with IRL540n mosfets, replaced the 74HC273 IC, reflowed all the solder on the header pins.

Now I can not get any magnet activity, in test mode or during game play. At the magnet board, I have 4.69v, which I think is sufficient to operate the ic. I have 74v at the magnets. If i ground the metal tab on the IRL540n with a jumper wire, each magnet works.

Does this suggest the Pia 6821 pins 10-13 are not working? Is there a way to check the pia with a dmm at these pins?

#2 2 years ago

you could test the pia with a logic probe. see if you are getting a pulse from the proper leg.

#3 2 years ago

To my surprise I had 2 logic probes in my tool box.

To test Pia 6821 at pins 10-13 this is what I did. (These are the pins I have read about in other threads that control magnets)

I went into test mode to the magnet test. Held down the start button to activate magnets then touched each pin 10-13. I got all low (0) readings. I assume this means that portion of the pia is dead.

I will socket and replace the pia and report back when it is done.

#4 2 years ago

yup sounds like bad pia. look forward to you getting it fixed. I just fixed mine but it was the magnet board.

#5 2 years ago

Bit of an update. Borrowed an CPU out of Lethal Weapon. I have pulses at 11b 6821 on pins 10-12 as expected.

Magnets are still not coming on. Grounding tab on IRL540N, do make the magnets come on.

I think this narrows the problem down to signals making it from CPU to magnet board. If they check out the last thing I can possibly see being the problem is that I used a 74HC273 instead of 74HCT273 chip on the magnet board.

#6 2 years ago

Looks like they are a tad bit different.
HC is for CMOS
HCT is for TTL
I'm not positive but it might make a difference. now before you replace the chip, I just bought a new magnet board and fixed me right up. obviously you have an issue at the pia but might want to consider getting a new designed board. Got mine off ebay for $59 shipped.

#7 2 years ago

Just found this thread. I'm also repairing a similar non-working LAH magnet issue. Still digging in, 1 bad mossfet, and will be checking with a probe next.
Just thought I'd mention the manual does show an HCT for U1, but this board has an HC installed. Looks like untouched original solder.
There are traces cut and jumpers added as well. Is that factory? Everything maps out according to the schematic with it this way.

20211105_124238 (resized).jpg20211105_124238 (resized).jpg20211105_124831 (resized).jpg20211105_124831 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

That mod is factory.

I have upgraded the 3 transistors to IRL540N. I am thinking these mosfets (I think that’s what they are called) need the 74HCT273. The original board has the 74HC273 but uses transistors P20N10.

I did logic probe testing at the magnet board for all 3 orange wires. I get pulses during magnet test and pressing start button.

#9 2 years ago

sounds like the magnet board is not working properly. When I was trying to replace things on mine, the solder pads were coming off and I am the first to work on it. was all original. everything buzzed out to where it was supposed to go but after putting it back in, I was blowing fuses on the pbb board and said screw it. bought the new one and has been perfect since.

1 week later
#10 2 years ago

Update. Finally got in the 74HCT273 chip. When doing the magnet test in diagnostics you can hear the magnets pulsing but you can’t feel any magnetic pull through the playfield.

I took the magnet board to a GnR machines and it acts the same way. You can hear the magnets pulsing but there is no noticeable magnetism.

When the working magnet board from
GnR is tested, you can hear the exact same pulsing noises but they are louder and you can feel the magnetism.

I will now source some original spec transistors 20p10 and try those instead of the IRL540N

2 weeks later
#11 2 years ago

Solved.

It seemed the new IRL540N mosfets that were ordered initially were faulty. Ordered from another vendor and now the magnet board works fine.

#12 2 years ago

Nice work! Frustrating to go through I'm sure, but worth persevering through. Those magnets are great in that game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-magnets-not-working-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.