(Topic ID: 236915)

Last Action Hero Magnet woes

By woodmedic

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I am having issues blowing fuses F5 and F9. When I got this game, the magnets were not working. Read through a lot of magnet problem posts and decided to rebuild the magnet board. It worked great for several months. It recently began blowing F5 and F9. Unplugging the magnet board solves the fuse blowing problem. I replaced the mosfets again and the fuses still blow. I then replaced the ic on the magnet board but still blows the fuses as soon as the machine is powered on. The magnets themselves check ok. There is nothing else to replace on the board really. What else could be causing this problem? Is it possible that a new magnet board would fix this or are there other components involved with the magnet system that I am unaware of?

#2 5 years ago

Well I have checked the magnets and all are showing 4.5 ohms. I can't find anything else wrong so I guess I will order a magnet board and hope that it takes care of the problem.

2 weeks later
#3 5 years ago

Installed an aftermarket magnet board and everything is working properly now.

4 months later
#4 4 years ago

I need a new board ... where did u got yours ??

3 weeks later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from OTCHU:

I need a new board ... where did u got yours ??

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

#6 4 years ago

I bought one of these - superior magnet action compared to original.
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-magnet-auxiliary-driver-board.html

2 years later
#7 1 year ago

I'm working on a clients game and fuses for magnet were blown. Replaced and all 3 pulled in. Checked driver board for magnet and all transistors shorted. In ordered a new board from pinball life.
Installed and put in magnet test. The 3 magnets locked on and blew the fuse on the ppb board. Replaced fuse, checked 3 transistors on new pinball life board and all are shorted.any ideas? The magnets seem good and are not burnt wtc.
Not sure what would cause this issue. I know other games have tieback diode that if bad may be a similar symptom.

Thanks in advance! Jr

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

Well it turns out a loose fuse holder on the ppb board was the issue. Voltage drop and amperage increased on fuse holder 50 volts ppb board causing damage to the mosfets on the magnet driver board.
Took a while to figure out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-magnet-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.