Screenshot_20230329_104055_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
180-5118-01 (resized).jpg
20230325_200254 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230323_215247_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230323_221138 (resized).jpg
20230323_221257 (resized).jpg
20230323_221206 (resized).jpg
20230323_221347 (resized).jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I just recently picked up a Data East Last Action hero from a friend. The previous owner had shorted out a bunch of chips on the MPU by doing some soldering work while the machine was plugged in. This fried the switch matrix and so all switches were firing at once. I had board work done on the MPU to fix these issues and the game mostly plays fine. However, sometimes the CRANE targets are having issues resetting, and one out of three balls or so the skill shot won't work right. It seems to happen if there are already some targets knocked down. The 3rd drop target will be lit, rather than having the lights chase up and down, and some of the targets will remain down. It's weird but the animation on the DMD seems to be different as well. Instead of having a moving helicopter where Jack Slater is moving a gun back and forth, the gun is just stationary.

Sometimes the CRANE targets hesitate a couple times before finally being able to fully reset. I've had a few times where I hit the shot behind the targets which resets them, and they never actually reset. On one occasion where it was messed up on the skill shot and some targets were down already, the skill shot hit the target behind the drop targets and reset them, then I drained. Then on the ball save, the skill shot was now working correctly for the ball save.

The game seems to think there's a ball missing sometimes. One time when the skill shot was messed up, I launched the ball, then it said ball missing, and the game ended abruptly. So I definitely have some weird stuff going on. And I'm hoping we didn't miss something on the MPU. Although it seems that the CRANE targets mechanism itself may have something going on which is causing the targets not to reset properly. I guess I'll also add that the game does think the targets are upright when they're failing to reset. One time when the targets failed to reset, I hit the 2 remaining standing targets, and this didn't trigger the crane functionality to start. I had to hit the back target to reset them, then knock them all down in order to start the crane. So I'm leaning towards the CRANE target mechanism having an issue. Which begs the question: is this a part that's actually available to purchase? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 1 year ago

I found a detailed guide on cleaning the drop target assembly for this machine. He mentioned his reset bar was covered in gunk. Maybe that's all this issue would require, a thorough cleaning of the entire assembly and maybe go ahead and replace the drop targets themselves since they are available online from Marco Specialties. Does that sound like the issue to you guys? Just a gunked up drop target assembly? I'm not sure this explains the issue with the skill shot light chase sequence not playing though.

http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2016/03/27/last-action-hero-repair-service-log-5/

#3 1 year ago

I don't think a gunked up drop target would necessarily cause that. I'd try using the coil test to see if the reset coil fires consistently. If it does, I'd move over to the switch test and try testing all the drop target switches to see if there's a problem with any of them. If all checks out there too, a drop target assembly rebuild could certainly be in order.

In fact, it's probably a good idea to test all the switches in switch test--sometimes a problem in the switch matrix can be triggered by seemingly unrelated switches...

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

I don't think a gunked up drop target would necessarily cause that. I'd try using the coil test to see if the reset coil fires consistently. If it does, I'd move over to the switch test and try testing all the drop target switches to see if there's a problem with any of them. If all checks out there too, a drop target assembly rebuild could certainly be in order.
In fact, it's probably a good idea to test all the switches in switch test--sometimes a problem in the switch matrix can be triggered by seemingly unrelated switches...

Thanks for the response. I took out the drop target assembly and noticed that the reset bar was slightly bent, causing it to catch sometimes. I bent it back into shape and cleaned up all the parts related to the target reset mechanism, and now the drop targets are resetting properly every time.

Now I have an issue with slam tilt being triggered in the middle of a game randomly. It has happened twice, last time it happened when the ball was in the pop bumpers. On a thread about a data east star wars, evidently this was being caused by a loose screw colliding with a switch and causing a short. I'm wondering if we didn't put something back together right when we did this job. So I'm going to have to do some more digging.

20230305_165852 (resized).jpg20230305_165852 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

It sounds like you may have a switch with a solder lug shorted against something, or perhaps a diode is mashed or touching something adjacent, possibly something of that nature. Double check all the switches on the crane drop targets, check the switches anywhere near that assembly under the playfield as well.

Also make sure the slam tilt switch isn't shorted to anything nearby or that it's gapped too closely (it's located on the coin door, I think)

Another thing you can try is putting the game in switch test and try every switch manually. It's possible you'll see multiple switches close when a particular one is activated or other sort of weirdness. That could lead us to the culprit. You can also try starting a game and try each switch to make sure they're all behaving properly. You might even find the problem only happens when a particular drop target is down or something like that. You basically want to try to come up with a consistent way to reproduce the problem. With any luck it's just a shorted switch or diode or something else that's simple to fix (but may be hard to find)...

#6 1 year ago

since the board had a bunch of chips fried, has it been thoroughly checked out? to me it sounds like you have a logic issue going on with the animations and the lights moving. if you have access to a burner, burn leons test rom and make a bench test power supply. you only need 5v and ground. I made one out of an arcade power supply I had laying around. then sit there with a logic probe and make sure the pia's are moving properly on both sides.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

It sounds like you may have a switch with a solder lug shorted against something, or perhaps a diode is mashed or touching something adjacent, possibly something of that nature. Double check all the switches on the crane drop targets, check the switches anywhere near that assembly under the playfield as well.
Also make sure the slam tilt switch isn't shorted to anything nearby or that it's gapped too closely (it's located on the coin door, I think)
Another thing you can try is putting the game in switch test and try every switch manually. It's possible you'll see multiple switches close when a particular one is activated or other sort of weirdness. That could lead us to the culprit. You can also try starting a game and try each switch to make sure they're all behaving properly. You might even find the problem only happens when a particular drop target is down or something like that. You basically want to try to come up with a consistent way to reproduce the problem. With any luck it's just a shorted switch or diode or something else that's simple to fix (but may be hard to find)...

This is a very helpful breakdown, thank you. The slam tilt bobber was actually disconnected at one point due to slam tilt being triggered by the MPU issue. So it's not even wired yet is still triggering. So I agree it's most likely a shorted switch, probably related to the work we just did since it started happening after we worked on the drop target banks. Thanks for your advice. I will work on reproducing the issue and finding exact steps.

Quoted from Bax1:

since the board had a bunch of chips fried, has it been thoroughly checked out? to me it sounds like you have a logic issue going on with the animations and the lights moving. if you have access to a burner, burn leons test rom and make a bench test power supply. you only need 5v and ground. I made one out of an arcade power supply I had laying around. then sit there with a logic probe and make sure the pia's are moving properly on both sides.

I had the MPU board repaired and was assured that it's all 100% working now. We were able to get the drop target issue resolved by removing the assembly and bending the reset bar (it was bent out of shape and was catching sometimes). But obviously we must have not put everything back together right afterwards because now this phantom slam tilt issue started.

It was definitely a bit strange that the animation would change when the drop targets were malfunctioning. But I chock that up to the game just being in a confused state. This no longer happens now that the drop targets reset properly every time. So I will work on narrowing down the phantom slam tilt. It's probably something simple like a piece of metal shorting out a switch. There are a bunch of threads about this exact thing happening on Data East Star Wars, Lethal Weapon 3, Jurassic Park etc where a screw from the playfield comes out and pushes up against a switch. Although I didn't see anything like that. It's most likely something around the drop target assembly. There is a ton of wiring over there that's very bunched up and was hard to get back together. So the culprit likely is where we last worked.

#8 1 year ago

I've done all the switches tests and here are the results. I believe the only abnormality is Right Flipper #64 showing up in Playfield Status. There is an issue where the right Flipper is unable to swap between the Bonus rollover lanes. My board Repair guy replaced a transistor on the Flipper board to try and fix this, but it's still an existing issue. The Left Flipper is able to cycle thru the Bonuses fine

Active Switch Test
Crane Left Limit and Trough 1-6 cycle repeatedly

Playfield Status
Crane Left Limit #60
Right Flipper #64

Switch Test
Crane Left Limit and Trough 1-6 cycle through once

I also went through the drop target assembly and surrounding switches and wiring. The only possible issue I saw was a diode was pushing up against a metal bracket (looked to be the Left captive ball target diode). I bent it away from the bracket but this isn't the issue. I still got a slam tilt after doing this.

Another thing that has happened twice which seems related is I have had the ball plunge and hit the targets, then the game says ball missing and resets. I've had some other issues where it thinks the ball is missing while in the troughs. I've heard these ball Trough switches on data east pinballs are problematic so I'm tempted to replace all 6 switches and diodes. Although according to the tests all 6 switches are working properly.

So any thoughts on this right Flipper thing?

#9 1 year ago

Try seeing if there's a particular drop target that triggers the "ball missing" error. That might lead us closer to our culprit...

Also, with the game in switch test (or during a game) try pounding around the surface of the playfield with the bottom of a fist (with moderate force--you don't have to overdo it)... sometimes that can reveal a switch that's gapped too closely...

As far as the right flipper not cycling the lanes at the top consistently, it looks like it's just the right flipper cabinet switch that's detected by the switch matrix (and presumably responsible for changing the lanes)... I'm not sure what to suggest as far as that one for the moment though. It's possible the other switch matrix problem could be causing this one too--but it's too soon to tell. If anything, maybe we'll try to knock out the other problem first and then see where we stand with this one.

#10 1 year ago

The ball does seem to be getting legitimately lost in the trough. Sometimes I have to nudge the machine a bit to get it to break free and move onto the switch. Although one time it got real confused and did a ball search and eventually gave me the ball locked in the crane lock.

Also I don't think the drop targets are involved in the slam tilt issue. Just to clarify, the post was originally about the drop targets not always resetting properly, which I fixed by bending the metal reset bar back into shape. I had one game tonight where it said ball missing and reset during the plunge, and it happened before the ball even hit the drop targets.

I tried the pounding on the playfield during a switch test, and didn't see any other switches fire off aside from the normal ones (ball Trough 1 - 6 and crane left limit).

The slam tilt seems to happen during multiball. It happened once after I had just hit the right scoop and when it almost finished the extra ball animation on the dmd, it slam tilted. Another time I had a 4 ball multiball going and hit the super missile to collect all the shields (4 or 5 were lit) and this slam tilted. And still another time I had some balls bouncing in the pops, then hit the left captive ball simultaneously and this slam tilted. So it's difficult to pin down a common theme here. Although maybe one of the ball Trough sensors is part of the 4 switches in the slam tilt matrix. So when a ball is missing and one or two other switches get hit simultaneously in multiball, it triggers the slam tilt. It may involve the plunger somehow too since I've had the 3 times now where it plunges the ball, says ball missing immediately (before hitting drop targets), and resets.

#11 1 year ago

This is a tricky one, for sure. I'm starting to wonder if the right flipper problem might be somehow related to this. I looked over the schematics again and I found an odd inconsistency: the right flipper cabinet switch (what the manual is referring to as switch #64 on the switch matrix) has 2 different pairs of wires depending where you look in the manual. Looking on the diagrams below, the switch matrix diagram makes it appear that the right flipper switch should have a green/grey and a white/grey wire, but the cabinet wiring is showing a blue/violet and a orange/violet wire at the right flipper cabinet switch. Not to mention, any switch on the switch matrix should also have a diode, so I really don't think the cabinet switch is switch #64 (which I also suspect *is* the switch responsible for toggling the lane change at the top of the playfield)--it's gotta be somewhere else...Could you post a pic of the right flipper cabinet switch and right flipper end of stroke switch? Perhaps that will help me make better sense of this.

For reference, here's the switch matrix diagram:

Screenshot_20230310-083749.pngScreenshot_20230310-083749.png

Maybe I'm misinterpreting "Right Flip Cab" on this page below? It's the companion chart for the switch matrix chart above--showing the location of each of the switches by their number. I'll admit, I've always struggled with DE schematics... I usually find you have to find like 3-4 separate pages to follow a circuit from end to end. It's not impossible, just more difficult than most other manufacturers (in my experience)...

Screenshot_20230310-085050.pngScreenshot_20230310-085050.png

And here's the relevant portion of the cabinet wiring diagram showing the other wire colors going to the flipper cabinet switches:

Screenshot_20230310-084438_1.pngScreenshot_20230310-084438_1.png

I just noticed that "Right Flipper" had come up on the active switch test you posted a couple days ago--i think we're onto something here...

#12 1 year ago

First 4 images are of the right Flipper cabinet switch. I see one blue/indigo wire and 2 black wires. In the first pic you can see a purple wire by it, so we know it's not purple. So I guess it's indigo.

Last 2 pics are right Flipper end of stroke switch. I see the same indigo/blue wire as well as what I'm gonna assume is orange with indigo stripes. I definitely see the indigo stripes. So I think the main color there is orange.

I definitely don't see green/grey and a white/grey wire. To summarize again it looks like:

Right Flipper cab switch: indigo/blue wire and 2 black wires

Right Flipper end of stroke switch: blue/indigo wire and orange/indigo (?) Wire.

20230310_175743.jpg20230310_175743.jpg20230310_175822.jpg20230310_175822.jpg20230310_180020.jpg20230310_180020.jpg20230310_180143.jpg20230310_180143.jpg20230310_180805.jpg20230310_180805.jpg20230310_180851.jpg20230310_180851.jpg
#13 1 year ago

From talking to the guy that repaired the MPU and worked on the game, he tried replacing the transistor on the Flipper board to fix the issue. But that didn't solve it. He says there's an issue with the Flipper board which is unrelated to the transistor. Some components on this board must have also gotten fried at the same time as the MPU. So maybe I need to replace the Flipper board to fix the right Flipper issue. Not sure if it's the cause of the slam tilt or not. I did notice the slam tilt issue after I had worked on the crane drop target assembly. But looking over my work I don't notice any metal touching any switches or anything like that. Someone who worked on it before put cardboard spacers between the switches back there because it is very tight. The only thing suspect I found was a diode for the left captive ball target was touching a metal bracket, so I bent it slightly to get it off the metal. The game runs very well aside from the Flipper issue and the slam tilt / ball missing issue.

Edit: He also said "You can pull the right flipper switch wire out of the loom on the flipper board so that switch isn't always active." I guess that might help us see if it stops the slam tilt or not. And could narrow it down to needing to fix or replace the Flipper board.

#14 1 year ago

If it was me, I'd be looking at a pinched wire, near the drop targets, remember you didn't have this issue till you took the drop target assy out. I had a Data East Hook with a slam tilt issue that just seemed illogical, it turned out to be the wires on the bottom edge of the playfield that would get pinched when I lowered the pf down, unbeknown to me this was so common it had it's own section in clay's guide. Moral of the story is go back to the area you worked around and look for a bent diode against a bulb or a pinched wire. I would go over every light and switch on the bottom of the pf and make sure no diodes are touching or damaged. Pay close attention to the wiring or components around the edges of the pf.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

If it was me, I'd be looking at a pinched wire, near the drop targets, remember you didn't have this issue till you took the drop target assy out. I had Data East Hook with a slam tilt issue that was just seemed illogical, it turned out to be the wires on the bottom edge of the playfield that would get pinched when I lowered the pf down, unbeknown to me this was so common it had it's own section in clay's guide. Moral of the story is go back to the area you worked around and look for a bent diode against a bulb or a pinched wire. I would go over every light and switch on the bottom of the pf and make sure no diodes are touching or damaged. Pay close attention to the wiring or components around the edges of the pf.

Okay I appreciate the sanity check. I did only have the game for one day before working on the drop target issue. So I sort of just assumed the issue hadn't cropped up yet. But you're probably right that it's a wire, diode or switch getting pushed up against something. Lifting and dropping the playfield actually has a scratching noise which my friend pointed out. So there definitely is something going on in that regard. I will go through it more closely tomorrow and look around the edges of the playfield and the drop targets. I did already find a diode pressing up against a metal bracket near the drop targets. That didn't fix the issue. But I'm sure there are other instances like this. My mind always overcomplicates things but I'm sure you're right. The right Flipper issue is probably not related.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from kiwasabi:

: He also said "You can pull the right flipper switch wire out of the loom on the flipper board so that switch isn't always active." I guess that might help us see if it stops the slam tilt or not. And could narrow it down to needing to fix or replace the Flipper board.

I finally tracked down the location of the switch matrix wiring for the flippers...it's indeed at the flipper board. The copy of the schematic I was using was incomplete! Remember what I said about needing to jump around numerous pages to follow a DE circuit?!? LOL

Anyways, looking at the schematic for the flipper board, I believe the wire you'll want to remove from the connector is for switch return 8.

Screenshot_20230311-091206~2.pngScreenshot_20230311-091206~2.png

Looking at the switch matrix diagram again, you'll see the right flipper cab switch is at the end of the 8th horizontal row (counting the top horizontal row as 1, the next row below that one is 2, and so on)... In switch matrix jargon, the vertical "columns" are the "drives" and the horizontal "rows" are often called the "returns". So looking below, we see the right flipper switch for the switch matrix is at Drive 8, Return 8.
Screenshot_20230310-083749.pngScreenshot_20230310-083749.png

So looking again at the schematic for the flipper board--Pin 3 is for return 8, so you'll want to remove that wire from the connector (or follow the wire back a bit and cut it for temporary testing, then splice back together later)...I *think* that should eliminate the right flipper "lane change" function and finally prove out whether it's the flipper board or the playfield/wiring wreaking havoc on the switch matrix, ultimately triggering the slam tilt...

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

I finally tracked down the location of the switch matrix wiring for the flippers...it's indeed at the flipper board. The copy of the schematic I was using was incomplete! Remember what I said about needing to jump around numerous pages to follow a DE circuit?!? LOL
Anyways, looking at the schematic for the flipper board, I believe the wire you'll want to remove from the connector is for switch return 8.
[quoted image]
Looking at the switch matrix diagram again, you'll see the right flipper cab switch is at the end of the 8th horizontal row (counting the top horizontal row as 1, the next row below that one is 2, and so on)... In switch matrix jargon, the vertical "columns" are the "drives" and the horizontal "rows" are often called the "returns". So looking below, we see the right flipper switch for the switch matrix is at Drive 8, Return 8.
[quoted image]
So looking again at the schematic for the flipper board--Pin 3 is for return 8, so you'll want to remove that wire from the connector (or follow the wire back a bit and cut it for temporary testing, then splice back together later)...I *think* that should eliminate the right flipper "lane change" function and finally prove out whether it's the flipper board or the playfield/wiring wreaking havoc on the switch matrix, ultimately triggering the slam tilt...

Confusing is an understatement...these schematics just seem to be straight up incorrect in some spots. I appreciate you helping to decipher them for me. Here's a question about the flipper board. There are 2 sets of 2 fuses, one for each flipper.

F1 Right Output
F2 Right 9vac holding
F3 Left Output
F4 Left 9vac holding

There are two different types of fuses. One with just a normal thin wire. And another with what looks like a small spring in it. My question is shouldn't the types of fuses be consistent between the 2 9vac holding slots and F1/F3 (Left Output / Right Output) slots? I'm thinking the fuses may just be reversed for Right Output. The order of the fuses is:

F1 Spring Fuse
F2 Normal Fuse
F3 Normal Fuse
F4 Spring Fuse

20230312_005445 (resized).jpg20230312_005445 (resized).jpg

By the way, I've looked at both connectors on the flipper board and nothing is burned or anything. I see a rottendog flipper board replacement for Data East is available for about $140 although I've seen some posts of people having issues with them. As I mentioned before, the transistor on this board was replaced to try and fix the issue. It would be funny if this was really a matter of fuses being reversed. I just want to verify it's safe to try swapping the fuses for the Right Output and Right 9vac Holding so they are consistent with the fuses for Left Output and Left 9vac Holding. The board is clean and in good shape overall. So if it isn't the fuses causing the issue, it's a chip got fried on the flipper board.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

If it was me, I'd be looking at a pinched wire, near the drop targets, remember you didn't have this issue till you took the drop target assy out. I had a Data East Hook with a slam tilt issue that just seemed illogical, it turned out to be the wires on the bottom edge of the playfield that would get pinched when I lowered the pf down, unbeknown to me this was so common it had it's own section in clay's guide. Moral of the story is go back to the area you worked around and look for a bent diode against a bulb or a pinched wire. I would go over every light and switch on the bottom of the pf and make sure no diodes are touching or damaged. Pay close attention to the wiring or components around the edges of the pf.

I went through the entire under playfield area including all switches, wires, diodes, bulbs, solder joints, etc and here are my findings:

1) Plunger has a really bad solder joint on the purple wire with orange stripes. The base of the plunger has a decent amount of play so when it plunges, it's tugging at that solder joint. So I need to resolder here. Not sure this was causing any problems yet since the plunger works when I press the button (this machine has plunge buttons installed in place of the gun, sadly). Although I've had 3 times where I plunge the ball, then the game says ball missing and resets. So it's possible when it's plunging it's pulling that wire out of place and causing an issue.

2) I found about 7 bulbs with a lot of play in their brackets. I tightened these down so they can no longer sway.

3) The CAT target switch was super loose and had a ton of play in it from being shot so many times. I never got slam tilt when hitting the CAT target so I'm not sure this was causing the issue.

4) I hadn't noticed before but there are actually 2 bulbs under the sort of sunburst thing above the pop bumpers. Neither are working right now because I'm not getting any lights there while playing or in the lamp test. I assumed a bulb was out, but now that I see it's actually 2 bulbs there and both aren't working... I'm thinking maybe this is an issue further upstream? Neither bulb has a diode. I'm guessing these are both supposed to trigger any time you hit a pop bumper? FYI all 3 pop bumpers are working correctly (popping, scoring, lighting up).

5) Someone had clearly already had these sorts of issues and went through the game pretty well. They added extra insulation over wires that were touching diodes, and putting pieces of thin cardboard over metal brackets that were near wires and diodes, etc. I did not see anywhere that the wires were getting caught between the left or right side of the playfield. The wire looms that go undernear the front of the playfield don't seem to be getting caught up anywhere either. I did notice the diode for the left captive ball target was touching up against a metal bracket, so I bent that up and away from the bracket. I also moved some wires away from switches and diodes in some spots, although it only seemed to be insulated parts of the wire touching diodes and switches. I did not see any obvious signs of shorting of wires or switches or diodes going on.

#19 1 year ago

Since I'm having some issues with balls getting lost in the trough, I looked over all these switches, wires diodes, solder joints, etc. The only possible culprit I noticed was the switches are bent in manifold different directions. Can someone look at these switches and tell me if they should be replaced (or at least rebent)?

20230312_013159 (resized).jpg20230312_013159 (resized).jpg20230312_013223 (resized).jpg20230312_013223 (resized).jpg20230312_013250 (resized).jpg20230312_013250 (resized).jpg

#20 1 year ago

As far as the flipper fuses, there's 2 common fuse types: regular (also called AGC) and slow-blow (also called MDL). You'll want to check the fuse ratings for the fuses in the schematic and verify yours installed are the correct types (AGC or MDL) and correct amperage ratings.

Some slow blow fuses have a coil-style filament--but not all. It's just one manufacturing style, some slow blow fuses just have a straight filament (but usually a bit thicker). If you can't make out the readings or you're unsure if they're correct, post them here or get new replacements of proper type and amperage. Fuses are cheap, and easy to replace. It's also dangerous to use the incorrect fuse (may not blow when it's supposed to, leading to burning up components or worse)...so take the time to go through *all* the fuses in your game to make sure someone didn't put the wrong one in somewhere at some point. I almost always find 1-2 incorrect fuses in the games I've acquired.

As far as the switches for the trough, you'll need to try to narrow down where the balls are getting stuck. You can bend the switch actuators a bit, but you may be better off installing new switches if bending/tweaking the switches doesn't pan out.

We can go over the other problems etc soon, but let's try to get the slam tilt/right flipper issue solved first. Have you tried cutting the wire I mentioned in my last post?

#21 1 year ago

I maybe wrong but the trough switch #2 (counting from from right to left) looks like it has a damaged diode. Do you get slam tilt during muktiball or single ball play?

To test the trough switches remove all the balls, put the game in switch test and roll one at a time in the trough and see if they register on the screen correctly..you should see 1,2,3,4,5,6 as the first ball rolls down. Also if you ever had an issue with a ball being missing during the game 99% of the time it's the big switch next to the shooter lane, that switch gets worn out and needs to be bent out to help register the ball in the hole before it gets pushed out in the shooter lane. There is a lot threads about it, just do a search.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Okay so I removed the Switch Return 8 wire which is white with green stripes. Nothing changed in regards to the right flipper issue. In diagnostics I still see switch 64 right flipper constantly triggered. Do you want me to try a different wire instead?

I have some more findings from my testing. On ball 2 if I hold the start button, the game will plunge the ball and say ball missing and reset (before hitting the drop targets). Also, I realized I'm able to plunge the ball using the left flipper. I'm guessing you aren't supposed to do that. My theory on that is maybe you're supposed to be able to plunge with both flippers pressed, and since the right one is always being triggered, you can plunge just by pressing the left flipper button. One other thing I should mention is that someone wired in a launch button in lieu of the gun. And I notice that the lights don't flash as you'd expect. When you've already started the game and are ready to plunge, the start button flashes rather than the launch ball button. So I've kind of suspected that maybe there was some bad wiring done with the launcher replacement.

Quoted from kvan99:

I maybe wrong but the trough switch #2 (counting from from right to left) looks like it has a damaged diode. Do you get slam tilt during muktiball or single ball play?
To test the trough switches remove all the balls, put the game in switch test and roll one at a time in the trough and see if they register on the screen correctly..you should see 1,2,3,4,5,6 as the first ball rolls down. Also if you ever had an issue with a ball being missing during the game 99% of the time it's the big switch next to the shooter lane, that switch gets worn out and needs to be bent out to help register the ball in the hole before it gets pushed out in the shooter lane. There is a lot threads about it, just do a search.

The slam tilt happens during multiball. I just had one happen where a ball had just drained during a crane multiball, and boom, slam tilt. I don't recall really even having any other switches being hit when it happened. So it seems there is maybe something going on with one of the trough switches. But in the switch test they all show as working correctly. Also, the diode you said looked broken is actually fine, it just has a piece of wire sticking out the side that makes it look like the connection is broken, but it's actually intact.

Edit: I looked at that diode on the trough switch again. It was a bit bent on the right side where it almost looked like it was touching the middle wire. I bent the diode out of the way so it wasn't possibly touching that wire anymore. But that didn't seem to be the issue. I was able to reproduce the issue above where on ball 2 I held the start button and the ball launched, said ball missing, and the game reset.

#23 1 year ago

Launching the ball with the left flipper is normal. I assume that’s a fail safe to allow you to launch a ball if the gun trigger isnt working as there’s no physical plunger.

Holding the start button on ball 2 or 3 to restart the game is normal too. There’s a setting in diagnostics to turn that feature on or off.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Launching the ball with the left flipper is normal. I assume that’s a fail safe to allow you to launch a ball if the gun trigger isnt working as there’s no physical plunger.
Holding the start button on ball 2 or 3 to restart the game is normal too. There’s a should be setting in the menu to turn that feature on or off.

#25 1 year ago

Edit. Pocket post

#26 1 year ago

Darn, I was hoping that would disable the right flipper switch that keeps showing up. I'd splice that wire back together and try the Column/Drive wire on that connector next. If I'm understanding it correctly, cutting the column wire should disable both right and left flipper lane change switches (but should still allow the flippers to work otherwise). Column/Drive wire is CN1, pin 4. Looks like it'll be a green/gray wire.

Another thing to try: start a game then disconnect the coin door wiring harness (getting the coin door switches out of the equation) and see if you still get the slam tilts.

One more thing to try: try putting the game in the active switch test and then disconnect CN8 and CN10 on the MPU. Does right flipper still show up?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from kiwasabi:

Okay so I removed the Switch Return 8 wire which is white with green stripes. Nothing changed in regards to the right flipper issue. In diagnostics I still see switch 64 right flipper constantly triggered. Do you want me to try a different wire instead?
I have some more findings from my testing. On ball 2 if I hold the start button, the game will plunge the ball and say ball missing and reset (before hitting the drop targets). Also, I realized I'm able to plunge the ball using the left flipper. I'm guessing you aren't supposed to do that. My theory on that is maybe you're supposed to be able to plunge with both flippers pressed, and since the right one is always being triggered, you can plunge just by pressing the left flipper button. One other thing I should mention is that someone wired in a launch button in lieu of the gun. And I notice that the lights don't flash as you'd expect. When you've already started the game and are ready to plunge, the start button flashes rather than the launch ball button. So I've kind of suspected that maybe there was some bad wiring done with the launcher replacement.

The slam tilt happens during multiball. I just had one happen where a ball had just drained during a crane multiball, and boom, slam tilt. I don't recall really even having any other switches being hit when it happened. So it seems there is maybe something going on with one of the trough switches. But in the switch test they all show as working correctly. Also, the diode you said looked broken is actually fine, it just has a piece of wire sticking out the side that makes it look like the connection is broken, but it's actually intact.
Edit: I looked at that diode on the trough switch again. It was a bit bent on the right side where it almost looked like it was touching the middle wire. I bent the diode out of the way so it wasn't possibly touching that wire anymore. But that didn't seem to be the issue. I was able to reproduce the issue above where on ball 2 I held the start button and the ball launched, said ball missing, and the game reset.

Ok, the fact that you're pushing the start button and its launching a ball is suspect. However, as it was mentioned by the other Pinsider it is normal to have the game restart by pressing and holding the start button when the game is on free play, are you holding the button down or just pressing it normally?

Also, the fact the slam tilt is happening during a drain is a good indicator and bad diode is letting the current to go the wrong way and causing a slam tilt to register with the cpu.

#28 1 year ago

You said the slam-tilt bobber was disconnected, but isn't there at least a couple slam tilt switches. Like on the coin door, and also in the cabinet somewhere or under the playfield? The tilt bob is the tilt mech, not the slam tilt, slam tilt switches are different weighted switches usually on the coin door at least, and or a place or two more. Could there be a slam tilt switch that's not adjusted properly?

Also the DE ball trough is notorious for balls not feeding properly and needing filing smoothing or some people actually put a special insert in there to help the balls roll properly. The switches look normal and adjusted properly to me...

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok, the fact that you're pushing the start button and its launching a ball is suspect. However, as it was mentioned by the other Pinsider it is normal to have the game restart by pressing and holding the start button when the game is on free play, are you holding the button down or just pressing it normally?

When you restart the game it cycles the coils (ball search) and clears all the spots a ball might be trapped. (shooter lane, scoops etc)
It’s giving him a 1 ball missing message because after it launches the ball it’s not closing a switch and it’s expecting it to be in the trough.

Quoted from homebrood:

You said the slam-tilt bobber was disconnected, but isn't there at least a couple slam tilt switches. Like on the coin door, and also in the cabinet somewhere or under the playfield? The tilt bob is the tilt mech, not the slam tilt, slam tilt switches are different weighted switches usually on the coin door at least, and or a place or two more. Could there be a slam tilt switch that's not adjusted properly?
Also the DE ball trough is notorious for balls not feeding properly and needing filing smoothing or some people actually put a special insert in there to help the balls roll properly. The switches look normal and adjusted properly to me...

There should be a slam tilt switch inside the coindoor. Upper left when you open it.

The game should show Slam Tilt on the DMD if it closes and just Tilt it give you Dangers if the tilt bob is registering. Which message are you getting?

#30 1 year ago

The best thing is to get the multiball going with the glass off....and start activating switches. I think you will find your issue is on line 7 of the switch matrix because it the line shared with the slam tilt switch. So activate those on that line first and if nothing keep activating the rest to see which one gives you the slam tilt error. Then inspect that diode and or wire loom for that switch. So try that and report back.

Pinside_forum_7455999_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7455999_0 (resized).png
#31 1 year ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Holding the start button on ball 2 or 3 to restart the game is normal too. There’s a setting in diagnostics to turn that feature on or off.

Thanks for letting me know about these two features. For my day job I'm a software tester and this looked like a reproducible scenario to get it to crash. So what I said about the slam tilt issue still persisting may not be true. I played it tonight for 45 minutes with several good scoring games (300 to 400 million) with lots of 3 and 6 ball multiballs, and never triggered a slam tilt. What I'm hoping happened here is fixing the diode shorting out on the wire for the ball Trough 2 switch may have been the fix for the slam tilt. This is something I will only know for sure after playing it a few days and not seeing the slam tilt.

Quoted from kvan99:

The best thing is to get the multiball going with the glass off....and start activating switches. I think you will find your issue is on line 7 of the switch matrix because it the line shared with the slam tilt switch. So activate those on that line first and if nothing keep activating the rest to see which one gives you the slam tilt error. Then inspect that diode and or wire loom for that switch. So try that and report back.
[quoted image]

Okay I like this idea. I'm not sure I know what Trough #7 (since there are 6 balls and 6 switches) and left lock bottom are. I'm pretty sure one of the ball Trough switches is related. I fixed the one you pointed out but that was second from the right. Anyway I'll be happy to give this a try tomorrow.

Quoted from kvan99:

Also, the fact the slam tilt is happening during a drain is a good indicator and bad diode is letting the current to go the wrong way and causing a slam tilt to register with the cpu.

I was holding the start button down, and it's definitely on ball 2. Just the way this behaves seems like a "crash bug" to me so I assumed it was a related issue. Ever since fixing the diode on the ball Trough switch (2nd from right) I haven't had a slam tilt. Hopefully that was the actual culprit for the slam tilt. I played 45 minutes and didn't get a slam tilt yet.

Quoted from homebrood:

The slam tilt bobber / switch on the coin door is what's disconnected. And the coin door itself is also disconnected. As far as I'm aware, this is the only slam tilt sensor/switch.

Do you happen to know where to get the special insert for the ball trough? I've been reading about this issue a lot as well. Some other pinball techs recommended getting brand new balls as well.

Quoted from frunch:

Darn, I was hoping that would disable the right flipper switch that keeps showing up. I'd splice that wire back together and try the Column/Drive wire on that connector next. If I'm understanding it correctly, cutting the column wire should disable both right and left flipper lane change switches (but should still allow the flippers to work otherwise). Column/Drive wire is CN1, pin 4. Looks like it'll be a green/gray wire.
Another thing to try: start a game then disconnect the coin door wiring harness (getting the coin door switches out of the equation) and see if you still get the slam tilts.
One more thing to try: try putting the game in the active switch test and then disconnect CN8 and CN10 on the MPU. Does right flipper still show up?

I'm really impressed by how thorough you are. The coin door has been disconnected for a while now. I can try the other wire tomorrow. I didn't even have to cut the wire, it was double sided and could be pulled out (the center of it is stripped to make contact in the connector).

For the MPU test, are CN8 and CN10 connectors? At this point its definitely related to either the Flipper board or MPU. Something about it being the very last switch in the matrix makes me suspect it's MPU related. Especially since the left flipper works for all functionality. It seems unlikely that a power surge would have only fried one half of the flipper board. This is just a hunch though.

Thanks for all the help everybody. You guys are great.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from kiwasabi:

For the MPU test, are CN8 and CN10 connectors? At this point its definitely related to either the Flipper board or MPU.

Those connectors are on the MPU. I'd hold off playing around with that idea for the moment though, sounds like you might have found your culprit. If the tilts returns, I'd keep looking. But for now, I'd just play the game for a while and see if it slam tilts in the middle of one. If you decide you want to pursue the right flipper issue, it sounds like the problem is likely on the flipper board but further testing should hopefully narrow that down.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from kiwasabi:

Do you happen to know where to get the special insert for the ball trough? I've been reading about this issue a lot as well. Some other pinball techs recommended getting brand new balls as well.

Not sure where/who was selling that trough insert, I never really looked into that. My game does occasionally have a hang up in the trough but it's rare so I didn't try to get the insert, also it raises the balls a bit in the trough and I thought it might mess with the switch adjustment, so I thought it wasn't worth it unless I really was having problems which I wasn't. It's basically a thin piece of thin clear plastic that sits in the ball trough under the balls to help them roll smoothly.
New balls can help, as they can get magnetized after a while, especially some of the super glossy ones, and chromium steel balls. Regular carbon steel balls seem to not have the magnetism issue. If the balls get magnetized they can stick together and hang up in the trough. Anway sounds like you're getting there!

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Not sure where/who was selling that trough insert, I never really looked into that. My game does occasionally have a hang up in the trough but it's rare so I didn't try to get the insert, also it raises the balls a bit in the trough and I thought it might mess with the switch adjustment, so I thought it wasn't worth it unless I really was having problems which I wasn't. It's basically a thin piece of thin clear plastic that sits in the ball trough under the balls to help them roll smoothly.
New balls can help, as they can get magnetized after a while, especially some of the super glossy ones, and chromium steel balls. Regular carbon steel balls seem to not have the magnetism issue. If the balls get magnetized they can stick together and hang up in the trough. Anway sounds like you're getting there!

Okay that's interesting to know that the balls getting magnetized is actually a cause of issues in the trough. That was a theory I heard from some pinball techs I talked to in a tournament. I will plan on ordering a new set of carbon steel balls then and see if I still have issues. I definitely understand about not wanting to mess with the trough unless you absolutely have to. The switches are all bent in wonky ways in the trough but so long as it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it. It's mostly just before the first switch in the trough that I see a ball get hung up from time to time. So then I just gotta give the cabinet a little smack to get the ball to the switch so I can start my next ball. I suppose in that case it sounds more like a trough issue than magnetized balls. I will take a closer look and see if the trough looks rough and in need of some filing or the insert. FYI here's the link for the insert.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1256-upkick-pinball/05597-trough-anti-magnetic-shim-acrylic-data-east-sega

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from homebrood:

i used to think the hang was in the trough, like when the crane has locked a ball and multiball just ended and there is no ball on the pf for a while until a ballsearh happens, but i am almost convinced there is something broken in the code and someone else here pointed it out.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from kiwasabi:

Thanks for letting me know about these two features. For my day job I'm a software tester and this looked like a reproducible scenario to get it to crash. So what I said about the slam tilt issue still persisting may not be true. I played it tonight for 45 minutes with several good scoring games (300 to 400 million) with lots of 3 and 6 ball multiballs, and never triggered a slam tilt. What I'm hoping happened here is fixing the diode shorting out on the wire for the ball Trough 2 switch may have been the fix for the slam tilt. This is something I will only know for sure after playing it a few days and not seeing the slam tilt.

Okay I like this idea. I'm not sure I know what Trough #7 (since there are 6 balls and 6 switches) and left lock bottom are. I'm pretty sure one of the ball Trough switches is related. I fixed the one you pointed out but that was second from the right. Anyway I'll be happy to give this a try tomorrow.

I was holding the start button down, and it's definitely on ball 2. Just the way this behaves seems like a "crash bug" to me so I assumed it was a related issue. Ever since fixing the diode on the ball Trough switch (2nd from right) I haven't had a slam tilt. Hopefully that was the actual culprit for the slam tilt. I played 45 minutes and didn't get a slam tilt yet.

The slam tilt bobber / switch on the coin door is what's disconnected. And the coin door itself is also disconnected. As far as I'm aware, this is the only slam tilt sensor/switch.

I'm really impressed by how thorough you are. The coin door has been disconnected for a while now. I can try the other wire tomorrow. I didn't even have to cut the wire, it was double sided and could be pulled out (the center of it is stripped to make contact in the connector).
For the MPU test, are CN8 and CN10 connectors? At this point its definitely related to either the Flipper board or MPU. Something about it being the very last switch in the matrix makes me suspect it's MPU related. Especially since the left flipper works for all functionality. It seems unlikely that a power surge would have only fried one half of the flipper board. This is just a hunch though.
Thanks for all the help everybody. You guys are great.

Trough switch 7 is the one I told you about that has numerous threads...the one that needs to bent so the weight of the ball can trigger it. It's to the right of the 6 switches.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr

But if you played it for 45 minutes, I'm guessing whatever you did fixed it.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from trueno92:

i used to think the hang was in the trough, like when the crane has locked a ball and multiball just ended and there is no ball on the pf for a while until a ballsearh happens, but i am almost convinced there is something broken in the code and someone else here pointed it out.

I have the custom 1.13 code installed, which addresses some rule issues, and is a great improvement to the gameplay rules also. Not sure if any issue with the ball hangup issues were addressed in that code though. I still very occasionally get a hang up which flipping the flippers a couple times seems to fix for me. Might look and that #7 switch if it becomes an issue

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

[quoted image]

Well unfortunately the slam tilt happened again twice tonight while playing. Both times in multiball. I tried doing what you suggested to reproduce the slam tilt but I wasn't able to trigger it while hitting the switches by hand. I had suspected the left and right captive ball rollover switches but I couldn't trigger the slam tilt when hitting those and other switches.

Quoted from frunch:

Those connectors are on the MPU. I'd hold off playing around with that idea for the moment though, sounds like you might have found your culprit. If the tilts returns, I'd keep looking. But for now, I'd just play the game for a while and see if it slam tilts in the middle of one. If you decide you want to pursue the right flipper issue, it sounds like the problem is likely on the flipper board but further testing should hopefully narrow that down.

I did your suggestion and removed the green/gray wire from the Flipper board, and put the white/green wire back in. I'm still showing the right Flipper #64 active in the playfield test. This is a stupid question but I've never taken the backbox off. Do I need to use the Allen key to completely separate the backbox, then reach underneath and pull out the glass and artwork in order to get to the MPU? At this point I'm convinced the slam tilt is caused by a board issue. Either a chip that was missed on the MPU, or the Flipper board. And when I unplug those connectors, what will happen? Will the game still play? Or will I just be able to reach the diagnostics menu and try the switch test to see if the Flipper switch is still registering? It definitely would be nice to get this issue narrowed down.

Quoted from trueno92:

I had the ball get hung up in the trough on ball 1 with no multiball and no magnetization, etc. The ball just got stuck a centimeter or so away from the switch and I had to smack the cabinet a bit to get the ball onto the switch so I could play my next ball. I did order 6 new steel carbon balls so I will see if that helps. I will also need to take a look at the ball Trough itself.

Thanks again for your help you guys.

#39 1 year ago

I've noticed something with the playfield tilted up during an active playfield test. The right captive ball target is not registering at all. I'm able to trigger both the left and right captive rollovers, and the left captive ball target. But the right captive ball target isn't triggering at all. The wiring and diode all look very clean for the right captive ball target leaf switch. So I guess this is most likely a switch needing adjustment. Or replacement. Interestingly the Right Captive Ball Target is switch 56 in the switch matrix, which is right next to the right flipper switch #64. They are in the row beneath slam tilt. But I still think this is related. I'm thinking there are a couple chips that still need replacing on the MPU.

One other observation. I went into the ball Trough test where you plunge all the balls by pressing both flippers. This used to work before removing any wires from the Flipper board. However I'm no longer able to plunge the balls with the Flipper. What this tells me is we did in fact remove the correct wire from the Flipper board. This tells me the right flipper stuck on issue is on the MPU and not the Flipper board.

#40 1 year ago

This thread is taking me back, lol! I started looking into the ball trough problem and remember running down a few of the same issues on the LAH I was working on several years ago.

Let's start with the flippers. During the trough test, you normally can launch the balls by hitting the flipper buttons....but with the column/drive wire removed from the flipper board, neither flipper should be "seen" by the switch matrix (and won't work in the trough test for that reason). Putting that wire back in should at least get the left flipper "seen" properly again (and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of the right flipper problem soon as well--it normally should also be able to launch the balls during this mode).

Just to be sure: is the right flipper still always coming up active in switch test, even with those wires removed from the flipper board connector CN1? Another test, if so: remove connector CN1 from the flipper board, turn on the game and go to active switch test. Still getting the right flipper active? I'm just trying to rule out the flipper board entirely. Once you've tried removing the connector and done the switch test, turn the game off, reconnect CN1, put all the wiring back together and proceed--the flippers won't work at all with CN1 disconnected, we're just trying it momentarily to see if it makes any change in the active switch test. (Want to see the right flipper go away)

As far as the trough issue: kvan99 posted an excellent link that may have your solution. You'll want to get a close look at the trough and see if there's dimples formed on the ball guide, as pinsider CyberNinja24 had documented really well here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr#post-3504755

Sanding down those divots on the ball guide may be the fix. That plastic insert sounds promising too, might be an even better solution. I never heard of that one, but now I'm thinking of picking one up for the LAH at my buddy's place.

As far as the problem with the captive ball switch: try to track down and test every switch on the switch matrix chart. One of my above posts has the switch matrix diagram and the playfield diagram with the switch locations (the same info is in the manual as well). We want to verify *any* switches that are not working. It may only be the captive target, but there may be more. If there are, it may reveal a pattern that could lead us to the solution.

In order to open the backbox on that game, you'll only need to unlock the backglass (granted there's a lock of course...I think the lock is closer to the top of the backbox, if there is one)...then you have to lift the backglass using the channel along the bottom of it--it kind gives you a handle to lift it up. It pushes up the channels in the top of the backbox, then pulls outward towards you a little, then back down to pull it out of the backbox and away from the game. It should be fairly intuitive once you try it, hopefully. Take your time, and search for videos demonstrating how to open a Data East pin for extra help if needed.

Once you can get into the backbox, get a couple pics of the inside of it--i would like to see the condition of the circuit boards inside.

#41 1 year ago

Okay I've tested the flippers with both connectors on the flipper board disconnected. Right Flipper #64 still comes up in active playfield test. Then with CN8 and CN10 disconnected on the MPU, Right Flipper #64 still comes up in active playfield test. For whatever reason it has never come up in Switch Test or Active Switch Test. Only Active Playfield Test.

A strange thing happened after disconnecting and reconnecting those plugs. Crane Left Limit #60 never comes up in any of the tests anymore. Can anyone confirm if Crane Left Limit is supposed to come up in the switch tests? It used to show up in all 3 playfield / switch tests. Now it doesn't show up in any of them. Edit: I guess the switch could have been stuck and by me testing it, I freed it up.

I tested every single switch and every single one worked in the switch tests. Including right captive ball target. I must not have been getting the ball far enough back before when I was testing it. The middle standup eyeball target has been flaky in gameplay but i think it just needs a switch adjustment. It works fine in the tests and the wiring and diode look good.

Can you tell me the difference between Active Playfield, Active Switch Test and Switch Test? It has been very confusing to me. Ball Trough #7 works in the switch tests but not active playfield. And again Right Flipper #64 only comes up in Active Playfield but not in the switch tests. And also again Crane Left Limit #60 no longer comes up in any tests, it used to come up in all tests. Here are some pics of inside the backbox. Everything looks pretty clean as far as I can tell. As I've mentioned the MPU had work done on it because some chips were shorted out when a former owner did some soldering without unplugging the machine. However since the right flipper is still coming up with the MPU connectors unplugged, that would seem to imply the flipper problem is coming from elsewhere. Marshall (my MPU repair guy) said it must be a short or ground issue. But if the right flipper is shorted on, I would think it would be stuck upwards, or not work at all.

20230316_190118 (resized).jpg20230316_190118 (resized).jpg20230316_190130 (resized).jpg20230316_190130 (resized).jpg20230316_190138 (resized).jpg20230316_190138 (resized).jpg20230316_191638 (resized).jpg20230316_191638 (resized).jpg20230316_191752 (resized).jpg20230316_191752 (resized).jpg20230316_191908 (resized).jpg20230316_191908 (resized).jpg

#42 1 year ago

I can't find anything about the "active playfield" test in the manual... Hopefully someone can chime in about that part of the diagnostics.

To be sure: did you get the crane switch working again?

Also: could you post pics of the auto-plunger switch? I know you said it's not the gun the game usually includes--I'd like to get a look at that to see if anything stands out there.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

I can't find anything about the "active playfield" test in the manual... Hopefully someone can chime in about that part of the diagnostics.
To be sure: did you get the crane switch working again?
Also: could you post pics of the auto-plunger switch? I know you said it's not the gun the game usually includes--I'd like to get a look at that to see if anything stands out there.

The crane is 100% working. I must have moved it off the switch for Crane Left Limit before entering the switch test. Normally the crane is in the far left position pushing the switch. So Crane Left Limit #60 should indeed be coming up in the switch tests along with the 6 ball troughs. And it is now that the crane is back in its position.

There definitely are some ball Trough issues going on. Had a ball get stuck in the trough with a ball in the left lock position. So the game decided to release the ball from the crane lock. Then I locked another ball and it released the ball again and I had 2 balls. Not sure what the deal was there. Anyway I noticed 2 screws were missing from the ball Trough assembly. I found 2 matching screws in the spare parts box and screwed them in. This weekend I'll most likely pull apart the ball trough and file down any uneven or rough spots.

Here are pics of the ball launch button switch. Everything looks pretty clean.

20230316_200448 (resized).jpg20230316_200448 (resized).jpg20230316_200645 (resized).jpg20230316_200645 (resized).jpg20230316_200718 (resized).jpg20230316_200718 (resized).jpg20230316_200740 (resized).jpg20230316_200740 (resized).jpg20230316_200824 (resized).jpg20230316_200824 (resized).jpg
#44 1 year ago

Crane switch only comes up if th crane is parked in extreme left or right positions, where its resting on the switch, and thats normal operation for switch test mode.

#45 1 year ago

I looked through the ball launcher, smart missile and start button switches and wiring a bit more. I did notice something weird near the launch ball and smart missile switches. There is a 9 pin female connector (orange wires) and 10 pin female connector (purple wires) that are missing a mate. I presume this is related to the replacement of the gun assembly with the ball launch buttons instead. This doesn't seem right though. 17 or so wires that go nowhere?

Also, I posted pics of the start button switch as well. This looks kinda weird... it has two diodes... and one is stretched super tight and connects to a ground? Does that seem right?

20230316_205242 (resized).jpg20230316_205242 (resized).jpg20230316_205303 (resized).jpg20230316_205303 (resized).jpg20230316_205341 (resized).jpg20230316_205341 (resized).jpg20230316_205447 (resized).jpg20230316_205447 (resized).jpg20230316_205508 (resized).jpg20230316_205508 (resized).jpg20230316_205515 (resized).jpg20230316_205515 (resized).jpg20230316_205658 (resized).jpg20230316_205658 (resized).jpg20230316_205704 (resized).jpg20230316_205704 (resized).jpg
#46 1 year ago

I don't see a diode anywhere on the launch button switch or smart missile button switch...I think that might explain some of the weird switch problems. Maybe I'm missing them due to the angle of the pics though. Do you see any diodes on either of those switches?

Not sure how to install a diode on that type of switch but it shouldn't be that difficult. In fact, you may be able to copy the wiring from the start button to an extent... We'll have to get a closer look at the wiring and determine exactly what's going on there (exactly which color wires are going to each lug, where to place the diodes)...

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

I don't see a diode anywhere on the launch button switch or smart missile button switch...I think that might explain some of the weird switch problems. Maybe I'm missing them due to the angle of the pics though. Do you see any diodes on either of those switches?
Not sure how to install a diode on that type of switch but it shouldn't be that difficult. In fact, you may be able to copy the wiring from the start button to an extent... We'll have to get a closer look at the wiring and determine exactly what's going on there (exactly which color wires are going to each lug, where to place the diodes)...

Here are the diodes. I do see a green wire and red wire connected to a diode. There is a red wire coming from the smart missile and green wire from the ball launch button. So this is probably okay. What do you think about the 2 female connectors lying around without a mate?

20230316_214109 (resized).jpg20230316_214109 (resized).jpg20230316_214428 (resized).jpg20230316_214428 (resized).jpg20230316_214435 (resized).jpg20230316_214435 (resized).jpg20230316_214453 (resized).jpg20230316_214453 (resized).jpg
#48 1 year ago

Those have to be the diodes for the ball launch switch and smart missile switch, and they look ok.

Those wiring connectors are probably for an optional feature Data East put in some (but not all) of their games. I remember coming across an unused connector at some point and finding out it was for a printer, lol! Once upon a time you could print out the audits from your games! It might also be wiring for the shaker motor and/or shaker motor control board if they're missing from the game.

I'll admit, I'm stumped! Could you post pics of the screen in the diagnostics where it's showing the right flipper switch being active? It may not have anything to do with the slam tilt problem, but it's the only thing that still sticks out to me at this point. In my experience, a stuck switch can (and often will) cause strange behavior elsewhere on the switch matrix...

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Those have to be the diodes for the ball launch switch and smart missile switch, and they look ok.
Those wiring connectors are probably for an optional feature Data East put in some (but not all) of their games. I remember coming across an unused connector at some point and finding out it was for a printer, lol! Once upon a time you could print out the audits from your games! It might also be wiring for the shaker motor and/or shaker motor control board if they're missing from the game.
I'll admit, I'm stumped! Could you post pics of the screen in the diagnostics where it's showing the right flipper switch being active? It may not have anything to do with the slam tilt problem, but it's the only thing that still sticks out to me at this point. In my experience, a stuck switch can (and often will) cause strange behavior elsewhere on the switch matrix...

The shaker motor is connected but I turned it off in the settings. I definitely do not have a printer connected so that could explain one or both of those connectors.

I think the right flipper issue has to be connected to the slam tilt somehow. The fact it's showing as always on seems to imply a short or grounding issue. What's weird though is the flippers actually work 100%. And with the MPU disconnected it still shows right flipper #64 as active while in the active playfield test. Same thing with the Flipper board disconnected. So this rules out the flipper switches, coils, diodes, and wiring since the flippers themselves work. This also rules out the flipper board and MPU. So what does this leave us with? The flippers themselves aren't sending the signal. The flipper board isn't sending the signal. The MPU isn't sending the signal. I'm stumped as well. Here's the picture you requested.

20230316_183602 (resized).jpg20230316_183602 (resized).jpg
#50 1 year ago

Yep...that turns the spotlight on the MPU itself. So you need to break out the schematics to see where the circuit for the flipper switch is on the MPU. I must say though a closed flipper switch may or may not be something that may impact the game play. But we have no other leads now.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the 2 connectors, the orange one is for the printer, the other I'm not sure about. But the game is playing solid with the exception of the slam tilt issue. So disregard them for now and zero in on the issue with the right flipper.

I checked my machine the only active switch should the crane limit switch #9, since the crane is parked and activating it.

One last thing, the slam tilt issue is documented in pinwki, so check the pic I attached and make sure it's not happening in your game. Btw, they're talking about the hooks that are attached to the pf that go in the slot on the lockdown bracket.
Screenshot_20230317_154839_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230317_154839_Chrome (resized).jpg

Pinside_forum_4784099_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_4784099_0 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-issues-with-crane-targets-and-skill-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.