Last Action Hero delay on power up

By ReallifePin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having.
My LAH takes a long time to "boot up" when I turn it on. When I power it on all the lights come on but the DMD is blank and it doesn't load the firmware for a while. I can usually cycle the power switch a couple of times and it will come to life but even then I get a stuttering Arnold "I'll be back" as it starts to boot.
If I turn it off and back on after I've been playing it work as it should. I've never had it not come on at all but if it does it every time it hasn't been on for a while.
It has a rotten dog MCU and the rest is original. It is running 1.13 but it did it with the original firmware as well.
I would appreciate any ideas you may have. It is the only issue with the machine and I'd like to get it resolved in case it could create other problems.
Edit: as suggested below (thank you!) the issue was capacitors c1 and c2. Once I replaced those it works beautifully!

#2 6 years ago

Have you measured 5volts on the original power supply at the top right of the board? I suspect your voltage is low when the game is having trouble booting up. If it is low, replace C2 100 uf 25volt or higher electrolytic radial capacitor.

#3 6 years ago

At least one capacitor on the the power supply 5 volt circuit is going bad. Most likely C1,C2 or the other one that is close to the big aluminum heat sink. The heat eventually kills them. The caps are causing the 5 volts to be too low on initial power up to run the boards normally. After a certain amount of time the caps will charge up and the voltage will rise to near 5 volts and the boards will work. That stuttering speech you hear is the sound board finally getting enough voltage to normally. A very common problem on those power supplies. Look for leakage on the board surface under a cap.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks so much, both of you. I'm going to take a look tonight and I'll post any updates. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help!

1 month later
#5 6 years ago

Any progress?

4 months later
#6 6 years ago

I'm having the exact same issues . It starts low and then gets to 5v and is cool . I switched the power supply boards but issue was the same . Could I really have two boards bad

#7 6 years ago

What happens when you unplug the other boards (cn5 and cn6) from the power supply board and turn on the machine. Is the 5v low then gets higher? If the 5v is fine then plug in cn5 and see what happens then the same with cn6. This should help isolate where the problem is.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

I'm having the exact same issues . It starts low and then gets to 5v and is cool . I switched the power supply boards but issue was the same . Could I really have two boards bad

If they are original DE power supply boards, I say it is very likely so. Change C2 100uf 25v or higher.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-delay-on-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.