By Photogmkr

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello all,

I just installed a new Pinsound Plus in my #LAH. I wasn't aware that there was an additional power boost connector that I could have bought so it was installed without it. I installed the pinsound without any issue, started up the game, and all seemed to work fine. About 1 minute into gameplay the left flipper stopped working. I turned off the machine and started researching. This was 3 weeks ago.

My experience with troubleshooting and fixing pinball machines is limited. I was using a cheap Harbor Freight DMM and in all my research through this forum I upgraded to a Fluke 115 and I have a very basic understanding of how to use it. I.e. put it to the sound for continuity, on the horseshoe for ohms, V for volts, etc.

I've done a ton of reading through these forums looking for step by step instructions on how to test different things but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'll run across something that will say "test the coil" but I haven't been able to find step-by-step instructions on how to exactly test the coil and what I'm supposed to see when I test it, which is frustrating because I'm sure that it's somewhere on this site.

Here's what I've done and found so far. I started a game and felt the flipper, and when I press the flipper button I can feel energy going to the flipper, but it doesn't move. I did a continuity check on every fuse in the machine and all tested good. On the PPB Board, connector J7, I tested pins 1 & 5 that feed +50v to the flipper board, and it was reading +76v. Since then I ordered the pinsound power booster and installed it with fingers crossed. As I figured, nothing changed. I tried checking the coils and flipper board for the +50v but from what I understand, as soon as you open the door, the +50v is turned off. So here I am asking for help.

Thanks for your time and help with this!

Travis

#2 2 years ago

Youtube has lots of short how to videos. A little searching if you get stumped may help.

There is a switch on the coin door that cuts high power - tape it shut so you can measure high power.

Do basics. Pull and check fuse with meter. Check coil for broken wire at the lugs. Does it move freely ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for your reply LTG. I didn't want to write up to much at one time but I have pulled and checked the fuse's with a meter for continuity. I did check for broken wires and found none. I did resolder the wires to the coil because it looked pretty hacked.

I'll tape the switch shut and check the coils.

Thanks!
Travis

#4 2 years ago

Hold in the flipper button and then press on the back side of the flipper EOS switch. If it fires (prepare to jump haha), then the switch needs to be cleaned/adjusted.

Tried this yet? Sound prove issue is at the EOS switch.

#6 2 years ago

I was able to test the coil today and it's reading the same as the right. The flipper can move freely with my hand so it's not stuck. So now that I know I'm getting power to the coil, what's the next step?

Here is a video of what’s going on.

Thanks for all of your help!

#7 2 years ago

I believe your game has the solid state flipper board in bottom of the cabinet near the tilt mechanism. The board is divided in two parts, one side for left flipper and one side for right. Each flipper has two fuses, one for 50v to activate the flipper and another fuse for the 9v hold. I know you said you checked all the fuses, but wanted to verify you checked those.

This link has great info too: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Flipper_Issues

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

I was able to test the coil today and it's reading the same as the right. The flipper can move freely with my hand so it's not stuck. So now that I know I'm getting power to the coil, what's the next step?

Here is a video of what’s going on.

So your video sounds as if the hold is trying to fire the flipper. Hold the flipper half way up and then press the flipper button.

Tried this yet?

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hold in the flipper button and then press on the back side of the flipper EOS switch. If it fires (prepare to jump haha), then the switch needs to be cleaned/adjusted.

#9 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 When I hold the flipper halfway up and hit the button the flipper fires. What does that mean?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

PinballManiac40 When I hold the flipper halfway up and hit the button the flipper fires. What does that mean?

Means your flipper hold is the one trying to fire the flipper instead of the high voltage.

You need to clean/adjust the EOS switch as previously mentioned if it fires.

Guess you might even have a bad fuse or fuse holder on the flipper board. Did you test the fuse with a meter?

#11 2 years ago

Turns out it was the EOS switch that needed adjusting. I compared the left and the right and they looked identical so I figured it couldn't be the switch. I went ahead and put a little bend in it and it started working. However, the EOS was the last thing that I looked at.

As I was checking the CN2-8 and CN2-9 pins on the Flipper Board connector, I was getting 76V in stead of 50V. Is this an issue?

Hold in the flipper button and then press on the back side of the flipper EOS switch. If it fires (prepare to jump haha),

When you said prepare to jump I figured it was going to shock me and you were trying to be funny. So I didn't use my finger, I used a pencil, but it still didn't fire. I also cleaned the contacts so maybe that had something to do with it too.

Thanks for all of your help!
Travis

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

When you said prepare to jump I figured it was going to shock me and you were trying to be funny.

Even though I expect it to fire, I still jump because it is loud when it fires.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

As I was checking the CN2-8 and CN2-9 pins on the Flipper Board connector, I was getting 76V in stead of 50V. Is this an issue?

I don't believe that is too high.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

Turns out it was the EOS switch that needed adjusting. I compared the left and the right and they looked identical so I figured it couldn't be the switch. I went ahead and put a little bend in it and it started working. However, the EOS was the last thing that I looked at.

Another thing you can do next time is measure the resistance on the tabs of the EOS switch. That also would show the contacts are not making contact since would not be less than 1 ohm. Most times, I see new EOS switches with a clear coating that keeps from making contact. So keep that in mind whenever you happen to change EOS switches.

#15 2 years ago

Unless the DMM is set to AC v instead of DC.

#16 2 years ago

Even though I expect it to fire, I still jump because it is loud when it fires.

That makes sense now but when I read it I thought differently.

Quoted from erak:

Unless the DMM is set to AC v instead of DC

No, it was set to DC.

Another thing you can do next time is measure the resistance on the tabs of the EOS switch.

Is there a post, video, anything that would show me exactly how to do that?

PinballManiac40 Thanks for all of your help! Thanks to you the game is back up and running and my 2 little girls are happy again. They are 7 and 8 and are pinball fanatics.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

Is there a post, video, anything that would show me exactly how to do that?

Use the ohm setting (horseshoe symbol) and put the meter leads on the solder tabs of the EOS switch. I had some new switches measure 100 ohm and that was enough to keep the flipper from firing. A closed switch should always be less than one ohm. If you touch your meter leads together, may see as high as .3 ohms depending on the calibration of the meter and or how good the meter leads are.

Anytime measuring resistance, power should be off on the game.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Photogmkr:

Thanks to you the game is back up and running and my 2 little girls are happy again. They are 7 and 8 and are pinball fanatics.

Glad to hear that. I hope they are playing in Belles and Chimes events near you.

Play ball!!

#19 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 Thanks for the tutorial on how to ohm an EOS switch! As for the Belles and Chimes, that's the first I've head of it. I quickly googled it and learned that there isn't anywhere near St. Louis MO that has that.

I hope you have a great Christmas and thanks again for all of your help!

#20 2 years ago

Hopefully, a Belles and Chimes chapter will appear in the near future for them.

Merry Christmas and enjoy that game. I know I enjoy playing my LAH.

#21 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 Thanks! I feel like I just got my LAH dialed in, with everything working, and it went down.

I see that you have a Hook in your collection, how do you like it?

#22 2 years ago

Excellent. Glad it is dialed in.

My Hook is a major project. Not sure how soon it will be working. I played one my friend has and I like the game. Looking forward to having mine working one day.

#23 2 years ago

I see a couple for sale and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger because I think my girls would like it. I've never played it though.

#24 2 years ago

Most females like Hook.

Shouldn't be too hard to resell if don't like it. It has a lot of fun shots. ColorDMD is also available for it and it adds to the appeal of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-dead-left-flipper?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.