20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smailskid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1298 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I have finally posted my Pinsound mix for LAH, guys. Not sure how long it takes for it to get "Approved" though. Those with Pinsound feel free to give it a try and let me know what you think when the download becomes available. This is the first version, and maybe the only one - depends on the feedback. Thanks.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/249-last-action-hero-v100-capn-mix/

Anyone else have trouble downloading this mix?

I get to about 524MB every time an then it says connection is lost...even though my network is fine. I am using the usb stick recommended by pinsound and it is 16GB. I have used it for other mixes and it has not been a problem.

#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

Anyone else have trouble downloading this mix?
I get to about 524MB every time an then it says connection is lost...even though my network is fine. I am using the usb stick recommended by pinsound and it is 16GB. I have used it for other mixes and it has not been a problem.

I would guess it to be a setting on my computer. I have MacBook Pro running 10.13.5 High Sierra OS. If any Mac computer people have a suggestion I am all ears.

#1305 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Try a few things, clear your browsing data. Also, try a different browser. Try being plugged into your internet instead of wifi. Give those a try.

Tried all three. Tried computer 2 different computers as well. Cant make it past about 525MB. This sucks

#1307 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Reboot your router?

Yes did that as well

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

I'm downloading it now and can upload it to another host and shoot you the link, if Capn doesn't mind?

Thanks Kiwipinz for the upload to another host. I noticed that the new host only notes the file size as 500MB while pin sound says it is 1.39GB, which is interesting because I could only ever download about 500MB before the connection "timed out". The file from the new host performed the same as the old. It will download but after copying the file to the root directory of the zip and installing in the pinsound board, the board says "error in zip file extraction".

So I reached out to Scorch who had said he had downloaded the file but not tried it yet with the pinsound board. He wont be able to until this weekend.

I suspect an issue with the file that is on the pinsound site.

Anyone else been able to get the Capn file working on the pinsound board?

Thanks

#1315 5 years ago

FYI- I am able to download all 1.4GB now but still getting "error during zip extraction".

#1328 5 years ago

I just wanted to give a quick update on the Capn Mix for the Pinsound board.

It is really good and adds a lot to the game. I played the regular game mix, the Julian1.25 mix and then the Capn Mix in succession so I could really here the differences and this one is the best by far.

There is three main tracks that are chosen at random. One is the normal Big Guns by ACDC, the others are Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth and then a Rob Zombie song If I remember. Having the different main songs really keeps things from getting repetitive. All of the others songs are well chosen to match the modes. The songs are all hard rock/metal and fit the 80s cheese/hard rock part of the game's theme.

A couple of issues/preferences ......

1.). When the ball goes through the outlane the new Arnold phrases often play over another Arnold phrase. This also happens end of game....There will be two Arnold quotes that play over each other. I do not know if this is because I am running the version 1.13 ruleset?

2.). I do not care for the the outline callouts that are either a.) louder than the rest of the callout sounds. They just sound jarring to me. and b.) I prefer if they don't have swearing because we have a lot of little kids around. (there are a few than say bullshit or shit)

3.). I prefer Julians1.25 match sequence as it pulls the quote and background sound from the movie (the lighter, background explosions)

All in all these issues/preferences are pretty minor. I really like this mix and really recommend it to anyone that has a pin sound board for this game.

As I get to play it more I will update further. Thanks Capn!

#1330 5 years ago

My preference on the Arnold callouts is to remove them for whatever thats worth....

As far as 3.) where I discussed the match sequence....I mean after the game is over and Arnold says "to be or not to be", "...and hamlet is taking out the trash"..... The Julian1.25 mix grabs audio from the movie and I think it works well. You hear the lighter flick open when he lights the cigar and the explosions from the movie when he says "not to be"... check it out and see what you think.

This brings me to another point that you mentioned.....and these things are picky so take them or leave them......

1.). I would prefer a little more volume for some specific callouts just so they can be heard a bit more clearly above the din of music, explosions, guns etc. They are "Big Mistake", "Have to catch the Red Eye" and Benedicts "Have a nice day". These are some of the best callouts in the game and they often have music/sounds behind them that make them harder to hear. I don't think they need a lot more volume but definitely a bump.

2.). Also "Welcome to the Jungle" needs a bit of a volume bump to put it equal to that of the other tracks. Its a bit softer.

3.) still warming up to Bon Scott "I'm Dynamite!" instead of the lit fuse. Both are good, not sure which I prefer more at this time......

Overall this mix make the game even more fun without a doubt!

Edit -- Also check out the "Don't Move" ball save callout from the Julian1.25 mix. I think it sounds better, more organic to the game...

#1332 5 years ago

When you do the next revision....consider a slight volume bump to "Angry Again". Not noticeably louder than the rest of the game, just a slight uptick.

It's not bad as it is...... but it gets lost in all of the multi ball sounds.....crane whistle/beeping, the shaker, the extra explosions and pop bumpers due to the extra balls on the table. It is a great song....and it never gets its full due because its is buried under everything that is going on....

I would also bump the volume in modes "Last", "Action" and "Hero". The callouts all seem lower in volume than the rest of the game.... as does the car sound in "Last". The gunfire volume in "Action", and the chopper volume in "Hero" seem ok . That is my impression.

My 2 cents on for your consideration....you asked for feedback I guess you are getting it haha

1 week later
#1439 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Hey guys. Been working on the 1.25 mix in what little spare time I have. I have uploaded a video that is only watchable using the link below. Basically just giving a little preview to those that are on the fence about getting a pinsound card. I'm still in the testing phase here at the house, but I hope to have it ready for pinside users on this page soon. Once I get some feedback I'll put it up on the pinsound community page or make adjustments accordingly. Thanks to those that are helping with this project!

Yeah- looking forward to trying this out It looks/sounds great!!

#1441 5 years ago

Anyone order the LCD color DMD version for LAH?

#1444 5 years ago

Well I guess it is no decision then LED it is

#1485 5 years ago

how do you change the smart missile light in the gun. I can undo the screw on plastic nut but it seems the switch holder is in the way. It doesn't want to pull or twist out. Tips?

#1506 5 years ago

Capn you took a really good mix and made it even better. I am sure you spent a fair amount of time on this but I think it has paid off. I will give you some detailed feedback, hopfully tomorrow. In generaL the improvements you made worked out great

#1508 5 years ago

This is my feedback for the Capn 1.2 mix. As I before this mix is great. It just adds a lot to the atmosphere and fun of the game. It is almost like having a "rock band" pin because of all the songs. And due to the movies spoof on the 80s movies/rock that fits the theme very well.

The improvements you made all pretty much worked out great in my book. The call outs are much more audible, and the reworked intros help with that a lot. The LAST ACTION and HERO callouts are good, over the top in style, which again fits the theme and a good volume. A nice touch.

As far as tweeks..... These first few are a bit of preference, read them and see what you think....

*After Jackpot and Double Jackpot is achieved we get long intros to a Rob Zombie song that is primarily a repeating drum beat. While I like this song I feel the long intro it is just a bit repetitive and is not as "fun" as whatever you had there before. I guess I would prefer another ripper song there (no pun intended) than more of an instrumental.

***In this version there is a second multi ball song which I don't think is a bad thing since it keeps the game fresh. (And the pump up of the multi ball volume from the last version was perfect btw) The downside of a second track is that there is even less chance for "Angry Again" which I think is one of the best tracks on the pin. Even if it is selected you often hit jackpot and we are on to the next song . I think Angry Again needs a good long play at least once a game. Maybe have it play through both multball, and jackpot double jackpot?? Which leads me to.....

***Add a jackpot /Double Jackpot callout??? (that way don't have to switch the song to indicate a change in game state. Just a thought)

*The "GO to the Movies" and "The Super Crane" instrumentals tracks are just a bit boring for me. Again I would go for another song. Maybe Iron Maiden "Fear of the Dark" or something of the like.

The next suggestions I would have are relative to volume. I think it sounds that much better/polished when all the sound effects /callouts/songs are in a balance with each other and not to loud or soft. Here goes.....

*I agree with Scorch I would bump down the "Skill Shot Callout" volume a notch. It sounds good but it is a bit loud relative to everything else.

*I would also bump volume down on "Extra Ball is lit" call out as it is much louder than the actual "extra ball" callout (when you get extra ball)

*The "Shoot Again" callout. I would go back to Arnolds voice rather than the callout that is in this 1.2 version as to me, Arnolds callout sounds better

*when special/free game is achieved the "heres a couple of acres" callout needs a volume bump

*I would bump the volume on the Tesla Last Action Hero song when LAST ACTION HERO is achieved. Same thing with the Iron Maiden song (2 Minutes to Midnight I think..I can't remember when this is played). Not by much, but both need a little punch.

That is the what I have for you. In this post I focused more on the things I would tweek, than all of the things I like ...but that was just for the sake of time. Mostly all of it could be considered nitpicking but I put it back to you for your consideration.

Most of all, thanks for taking the time to do this, and posting it for review!!!!

#1510 5 years ago

I heard Who Made Who by ACDC on the radio recently. Made me think it would fit well somewhere as a song for a mode with its big intro and guitar riff

#1518 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

A couple of Pantera tracks that I was leaning towards were:
5 minutes alone
Cowboys from Hell
These tracks have some good riffs that I think would meld well with the game. Thoughts?

I think the riffs would work. I guess it depends how and where to a degree song is used.

The vocals in 5 minutes alone are more yelling which I don't think fits great with the rest of the songs on the mix.

1 month later
#1588 5 years ago

Any chance someone can take a photo of the adjustment nut for the drop target bank for me?

My drops sit below the playfield and I would like to raise them so the ball doesnt get stuck but I can't see how this nut will affect the travel of the targets. I am thinking I have a part broken or missing.

#1590 5 years ago

Yes the danger bar works as it should. The ball only gets caught there on a very slow roll. I could look into making the Danger Bar switches more sensitive I suppose. I just know there is that adjustment screw on the drop bank.....

Quoted from gunstarhero:

Is your Danger Bar (behind the drops) working/sensitive enough? I had that issue too until I realized my Danger Bar wasn't resetting the drop targets like it was supposed to. Fixed that and no issues with the ball hanging up there since.

#1598 5 years ago

Thanks mike!

#1629 5 years ago

Does anyone have a video of their LAH with a Color LCD? I realize most will have the LED version as its is more plug and play, but I have liked LCD versions in other games a lot and I am still on the fence as to which version to buy.

#1637 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

I just joined the club yesterday. Rewatched the movie right before I got it installed to refresh the mind. Entertaining cheesy movie.
My game is in pretty good shape. Although I already broke a crane drop target so ordered 5 with decals to have around. Only frustration thus far is I cannot get the ball to stay in the left scoop. Every direct shot bounces back out. I tried foam I have for switches to cushion but no help. It looked like they filled in for some wear too much so I shaved some of it to make the hole a little bigger. Ball still pops out but wants to stay. Any tips on how to get the shots to fall in. Currently I only can get ricochets to bounce in randomly.
I’m enjoying it though. Have to figure out what I’m doing but it’s fun.

You can adjust the coil strength in the Audit and Adjustment menu. I turned mine down to soft and that helped to hit the scoop more reliably. (When the shot is to fast it tends to bounce out) As long as you have enough flipper strength to hit the ramp and the crane shot it should help.

Reducing bricked shots on that scoop is all about keeping the speed down on the shot. Try using the base of the flipper rather than the tip to keep speed down when the ball is coming through the inlane. When the ball in coming at the tip of the flipper from the middle of the playfield you can hit the flipper early so the that it hits the ball before the ball gets all the way to the flipper. This takes alot of the speed off as you are only hitting the ball with the end of the stroke.

#1638 5 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

The LED display is the best option for DE. It does look great for this title, and if you tend to like the look of the LCD, try the pinball life glare guard. Just turn the LED brightness up to 9, install the glare guard and the contrast is amazing! The glare guard hides the display entirely and only the lit pixels shine through. It also helps to "mix" the rgb subpixels so it smooths a bit too. And of course it keeps the glare off the glass. I liked it so much I installed the same combination in my Tron which had been LCD for years.
For DE you will have to install the glare guard from the inside (but facing the outside). I also found that I had to secure the clear window to the panel with tape since the colordmd does not press against it.

Sorry to pull a post from 2 months ago but....could you post some pics of the LED with the glare guard?

#1644 5 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Standard disclaimer applies about pictures not being a good way to judge the display, but how about these?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pics. I think I am going this route.

#1646 5 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

The service buttons on my LAH are on the coin door close to the key lock. Is this an original coin door?
My Data East Bullwinkle has the buttons inside the cabinet on the left side of the door and I expected LAH to be the same.

Mine are inside the cabinet on left side of door like your Rocky and Bullwinkle.

1 week later
#1710 5 years ago

Having an intermittent issue with the crane behavior.

After M-Ball jackpot, at the start of 6 ball play, the crane travels back over to the right and stays there instead of staying over at the tar pit on the left. The crane and crane switches otherwise properly in the game and in test.

When this happens multiple balls can load into the crane .....but it doesn't move until 6ball play is over, or in the case that multiple balls are in the crane, until the ball search functions activates. Again this only happens some of the time. No other issues are present with the game.

Anyone have this happen?

1 year later
#2352 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Considering buying this pin. Which one is the tar pit ramp? The blue one on the left?

yes

8 months later
#2627 3 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

Totally worth it!

I also agree its worth it.

The Getaway needs a Mix from the Capn in the worst way!!

#2629 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Bought a LAH last night and bringing it in the house later today.
Oooof, $400 for a Pinsound? I enjoy customizing my Stern games with Pinball Browser (added videos to Aerosmith; custom music for Mustang; Ghostbusters; Metallica; Star Trek Pro), but that's a $20 expense.
That mix above, the AC/DC "Dynamite" callout, seems to be too intrusive, interrupts the songs and plays way too often during gameplay. I get the idea, but doesn't work for me.

To each their own I guess.

I don't know if you have Cliffys on your game but they make that scoop alot tougher to hit. I can't hit the scoop reliably enough that the Dynamite callout is heard too much...

2 months later
#2691 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Okay the Pinsound Community page is crap in my opinion. So I'm making this available via my Google Drive. Get it while it's hot! I'm sorry it took so long. The next game I plan to improve is The Getaway...
=================================

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fko1NWaSHFbRLRgsUNgvJq0JAg7rVWmQ?usp=sharing

A Capn Mix for The Getaway.....Fantastic! Thanks for all of your time and effort.

2 years later
#3309 1 year ago

Spinner causing a short, phantom drains, switch not registering. Sounds to me like you have a switch matrix issue that you need to sort through. If the spinner is causing a short fix that. Shorts in the switch matrix can cause all kinds of weird behaviors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smailskid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in?tu=smailskid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.