20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Recently picked up a very nice LAH, I have to say, it's a pretty great game. Similar to Data East stuff, of course, I had Jurassic Park and they used similar 'stuff' on that title, but I think this one is more fun.

It's not a flow game, by any means, but it is certainly a shot game. I really like the precision necessary to hit the captured balls and the right scoop shot. I also like the skill shot, much like T2, and the crane lock award by completing the targets.

It has an incredible amount of features in one game, (2) captured balls, (1) 'ripper' kickback, (3) scoops, (1) VUK, crane, (3) magnets in the middle (like Adams Family), lane changing ramp, several 6 ball multiball modes, etc. Pretty amazing amount of toys in the game that change things up a lot.

I think it deserves a better rating than 7.9, and certainly more fun than T2 and Jurassic Park.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

"I've just shot somebody, and I did it on purpose!"
Had my LAH for about 3 weeks now, and totally loving it. Just put Cliffys on, and getting used to the Dynamite scoop being more difficult to sink.
Favorite mode so far? Gotta be Super Crane.
Later,
EV

Is that what he says when you hit the spinner? Lol.

#22 10 years ago

My ripper is lightening fast when I hit it, I can't even see it come back, way faster than JP was. I'm really digging the game, ordered the alt translite too, cliffys, new balls. Gonna tear it down and do the Treasure Cove thing (it already looks very nice, but can only get better). Also asked some advice from the Pinballbulbs.com guys and ordered a double spotlight with purple frosted to put on the lower left sling and see if that helps brighten up the playfield a bit, it's super dark there when you play in a dark room, which I prefer to do.

Super Crane is a fun mode for sure EchoVictor, I like Go to the Movies too, with the add-a-ball. Although, the captured balls are not a simple task to hit.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I read somewhere that a pink bulb lights almost as good as a white but makes the colors on the pf pop more. Did I get it wrong?

Yeah, the pinball bulb guy said that purple would be good on this one as a test, those colors tend to enhance the playfield, other than white which washes it out. We'll see.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

No, the spinner is Lt. Dekker, Arnie's boss. The joke from the movie is that the madder he gets, the more unintelligible his speech becomes.
The "I've just shot somebody and I did it on purpose!" is a quote from the bad guy Benedict (redhead with beard and funky glass eye). I've only heard that quote a couple of times and I think it was only during 6-ball multiball...
You really owe it to yourself to watch the movie again. It's extremely funny and satirical of itself.
Later,
EV

Oh yeah, just heard that tonight. I will have to watch the movie again.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I like the alternate translight but I don't know if I like it $100 more...

mine is trashed, so I picked one up instead of the original.

#41 10 years ago

Is there a way to make a couple alignment marks and match them up when you reassemble?

#44 10 years ago

Here's a picture of the machine with the orange super bands on it. I think it looks good, but not sure about the play, the ball does take some odd bounces, which I assume means the composition reacts differently from the spin on the ball than rubber does. Not sure if I like it or not yet. I'm not good enough to be outraged about the play with them on the machine, but I can see how people at a much higher level might not like the change of play, even though they might be more accurate in the long run.

WP_20131026_12_37_54_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_12_37_54_Pro.jpg

#45 10 years ago

Here are a couple pictures of the addition of a dual spot on the lower left slingshot, purple LED's from pinballbulbs.com. The blue isn't as intense in person as it is in this picture, it adds a nice glow to the playfield, doesn't wash out the colors and let's you see the ball a whole lot better in the middle of the playfield.

Before
WP_20131026_23_02_08_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_23_02_08_Pro.jpg

After
WP_20131026_23_03_13_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_23_03_13_Pro.jpg

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Deepest game of the 90s. I did a longer than normal review on this machine. I have the alt trans too, looks led'd even with inc bulbs.
I have turned many people on to this game that have been to my place, many actively looking for one now. There is just so much to do.
My only complaint is I wish you could turn the automatic third ball MB off. I would like to see that less than every game for sure, and have to only get it by earning it.

I agree about the MB, maybe someone could edit the ROM like Jurassic Park, they're changing that up with that one too.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Way ahead of you
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-firmware-mod-coming-soon
Just trying to get it released now. Will share more when I can.

Nice!

3 weeks later
#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

It seems like every once in awhile after multiball, when the last ball drains it doesn't recognize it. Does a ball search & kicks out another ball. Has anyone else had that problem?

I had that on my JP, I would imagine it's nearly the same on LAH. Turned out being the kicker switch, the one that senses that one has been ejected from the trough and is ready to hit the shooter lane. I didn't see a trough detail drawing in the LAH manual, but the switch location chart shows that switch #15 might be the culprit.

Make sure that it actually triggers reliably, when there are balls going in and out of the trough during multiball it seems like mine would miss one every now and again. It wasn't sensed, so in reality you were not playing 6 ball multiball, you're playing 5 with one stuck, thus ball search kicks in and eventually fires the solenoid to shoot it out.

#88 10 years ago

You'll probably get good tests but not work in real play. It's more of an alignment problem that a switch problem.

1 week later
#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I'm in the club but I stashed mine at my friend's house. Now he's gone away for 30 days (or less) and I'm dying to finally get it. I haven't played it much but it reminds me a lot of DE's game before or after LAH - that being Jurassic Park. Scoops, modes, ripper, etc.

Jurassic park on steroids.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I posted this ball trough fix about my Jurassic Park but I think this applied to LAH also:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr

Tried to explain that a few posts above, nice video.

#98 10 years ago

Yeah, it's a tough game, a lot of the shots are very dangerous.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The ink on my original tl was falling off so I bought the alt one. I think the art work is a lot better then the original.

Whens the party Paul, you have been building a super nice collection over the last year!

2 weeks later
#112 10 years ago

I have, they don't have a machine available to make one.

#132 10 years ago

The quality is alright, not spectacular.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

do the magnets do much in LAH? everytime I see vids of people playing, and the yellow pyramid light up, rarely do I see the ball deviate much... are they underpowered or just often disabled?

Mine make the balls do 180's all the time.

4 months later
#205 9 years ago

It's a tinkering hobby for sure. Still dig my LAH, best DE, well maybe next to GnR, never have played that.

1 week later
#216 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I GOT IT RIGHT!! You should feel honored, this is a first for me on PS. Now if you could help me with my back up-kicker problem....

What problem is that?

#218 9 years ago

Not all the time, if the crane isn't over there when it hits the VUK it will go down the ramp instead. It doesn't wait for the crane to get over there before it kicks it up. You just have to make sure you're hitting the shot when you want to.

#221 9 years ago

Yeah the game is better with the magnets IMO. Things get crazy

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Depending on what is happening in the game, I believe it's not supposed to pop up until the crane gets there and hits the switch. This example in particular is primarily in multi-ball, when you hit the crane jackpot shot (and then feeds the ball to the crane). On mine the VUK holds the ball until the crane gets there.
In other instances of hitting the VUK, yeah, it pops up immediately and feeds to the right flipper.

That is true I believe, I should have clarified that. Maybe Paul can clarify the operation.

#225 9 years ago

Yeah, that sounds strange... The crane moves over there without some type of crane mode active, does it do that all the time?

1 week later
#238 9 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Joined the club yesterday. This is the 3rd time of owning this title. My game is in ok shape cabinet is faded but I don't care.
I am not sure all my magnets are working in multiball it did not seem to throw the balls around like my others did. I will check it out Tuesday when I get back to work. I just hope it does not need board work. I saw the ball move a little in multiball so maybe only 1 is working.

Yeah, when all the magnets are working it really flings them around, mostly out the outlanes. I've seen them coming full speed down the playfield and then either do a 180 straight back up, or an immediate 90 right into the outlanes. Makes for good laughs, and I think it 'portrays' the quirkiness of the movie well.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Yes, I have the exact same problem (was thinking about it while I was playing last night actually). I would really like to steepen it, but the back legs are maxed out and the front legs are in their lowest position possible.

Yes, I wonder if just getting longer legs in the back is an option. Here are son that are 2" longer http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5921-50.

#246 9 years ago

I prefer a more finished option.

1 week later
#265 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Loaned my LAH to Mark from pinball bulbs and it came back with a super sexy LED kit.

Does that mean a kit is upcoming?

#273 9 years ago

Does it register in the switch test? Is it missing the diode?

2 weeks later
#279 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Deepest game of the 90s. I did a longer than normal review on this machine. I have the alt trans too, looks led'd even with inc bulbs.
I have turned many people on to this game that have been to my place, many actively looking for one now. There is just so much to do.
My only complaint is I wish you could turn the automatic third ball MB off. I would like to see that less than every game for sure, and have to only get it by earning it.

It seems like if you set multiball to hard in the menu, you are required to hit the captive balls to activate it....

1 month later
#288 9 years ago

What size is the Allen wrench for that and the lane diverter. Bigger than 3mm and smaller than 4mm. 3.5mm isn't really a standard size, is it really SAE 1/8 or 9/64?

1 week later
#300 9 years ago

FB_20140819_20_35_52_Saved_Picture.jpgFB_20140819_20_35_52_Saved_Picture.jpg

Finally finished doing my machine, turned out nice I think.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Looks great, man! How long did it take to fix up? Did you make any mods on it? Seeing how you started this thread, I presume you are extremely excited to have it all cleaned up and ready for action!

Oh, I don't know, I took my time with it, a week maybe. It was already pretty nice, but did a full clean, polish, wax etc. No mods, just the Cliffy's, bought some new crane decals a while ago too, I like the orange.

#333 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Very nice. I'm hoping to eventually get mine to looking like this. It came with LEDs underneath and incandescent on top, and having already shopped/LEDed my JP and Frankenstein, I know exactly why. Darn Sega/DE stapled-in bulbs. lol I just haven't had the time to completely tear it down to change out the bulbs yet. Any suggestions or recommendations on what LEDs to use where?

This one fits the cool white theme very well. The inserts just reflect the color of the insert itself, to intensify it.

#336 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

I am one such victim of your influence on purchasing this game I agree, would be nice to not get the freebie MB on ball 3!

You can make it harder to get setting multiball difficulty harder in the setup.

#342 9 years ago

Will it change mb being lit when you start 3rd ball?

It increases the number of times you have to hit the captive balls to start multiball, so while it's not sure fire, since you can start multiball on ball one if you hit them enough times, it doesn't automatically award you multiball on ball three if you never hit a captive ball during the first two balls, it makes it harder.

Just try it, I think it will help with what you're looking for, but you might not like it.

1 month later
#373 9 years ago

I got my new golden ticket, my ticket is still very nice, so this will be like a really big protector. I'll take some shots once I install it this weekend. I'm excited.

#378 9 years ago

Well 5 or 6 pinsiders now have our golden ticket overlay in the mail (or received). Would love to see some pics after installed. Maybe some before and after shots!

006.JPG 274 KB

It looks really great and is high quality material. Looking forward to applying it tomorrow!

#380 9 years ago

Before

DSC00004.JPGDSC00004.JPG

After

DSC00005.JPGDSC00005.JPG

I didn't get it exactly right the first time so I had to take it off, unfortunately it did lift some of the original ticket around the eye so this is a permanent installation for me. I think it looks nice, but was hoping that I could remove it someday if I wanted and I suppose I could, but it isn't as simple as just peeling it up.

#381 9 years ago

Although, the ticket must have some magical powers, because I got on the board for the first time tonight .

DE and Sega both have some very high default scores, and having the machine on the hard setting (which essentially does not guarantee multiball on the third ball unless you purposefully hit the captive balls during ball 1 and 2, or use the smart missile) and Cliffy's really makes the game much harder to get high scores on.

#383 9 years ago

Best I could do Paul, the flash caused bad reflections. If you want better, your gonna just have to buy one and take your own pictures.

#385 9 years ago

Just for you Paul.

DSC00002.JPGDSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPGDSC00003.JPG
#391 9 years ago

I mentioned to Matt and would like to point out that using heat (hair dryer for eg) is recommended for taking off decals/stickers. These decals are really not meant to be applied, removed and reapplied (as with most things that are stickers). But heat should do the trick if you want to remove it.
Maybe after a few thousand games the decal will wear and you want to remove the old decal and put on a new one. That is about the only reason I see wanting to remove it. Either way the after pic looks great Matt! PM sent about a replacement decal.

The decal is of quite high quality, it certainly wasn't any fault of yours. But those buying it, take your time and do it right the first time. If you want to remove it, use some heat and go slow, it is very sticky and did pull up some of the original art when I removed mine to reposition. I plan on buying another, removing this one and filling the low area and reapplying.

4 weeks later
#407 9 years ago

Does it happen, sure, very rarely on my machine. But you do realize these games were made to make money right? Try adjusting your launch exit a little, mine hits mostly the N and I rarely have this happen, maybe 1% of the time. Or, try some machine manipulation, give it a bump when it hits the targets, or try to save the drain...pinball is a physical game, get a little physical with it.

By cheap you mean unfair? When is gravity fair, it always wins. . If you think this game is unfair, try Whirlwind, or a hundred others far less fair.

#423 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

In case you guys didn't see the TWO YEAR OLD thread I just brought back from the dead, my LAH firmware mod is released now. You can go download the patch file right now!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-firmware-mod-coming-soon/
Here is the site I put together to host all the information and files for the mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/lahpinballmod/

Awesome! Thanks for posting here!

1 week later
#430 9 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

New to the club here . I really like this game / I have a issue when the crane is moved over and I shoot for it the crane goes back to look mball but thinks the ball drained you loose a turn .?
IF ENYONE has had this happen and can help thanks .

Do the crane switches work? I would also check the ball lock area switches in test mode as well.

#434 9 years ago

That centaur comparison is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

#437 9 years ago

I broke down and bought a burner, should be here next week...along with an eraser.

#445 9 years ago

No post, exactly like Jurassic Park too, or at least no rubber. These games were/are meant to make money.

#451 9 years ago

I put in an LED OCD board, smooth fades with LED's just like incandescent. www.ocdled.com I would vote the single best aftermarket part for pinball machines ever created. Everyone is blown away when they see them in action. Not inexpensive, but not outrageously so either...and to me, the effect is worth it. LED brightness and colors with the beautiful fades that were intended with incandescent bulbs.

#452 9 years ago

Just got back from a job out of town and my ROM burner is here, gonna burn 1.13 very soon! Pumped!

(and yes Paul, I bought a chip for you too and will burn one )

#457 9 years ago

If you're going to do the LED OCD, you want the non-ghosting ones anyway.

edit: I should say you want the standard bulbs, the ones WITHOUT the non-ghosting circuit. Sorry for the confusion.

#458 9 years ago

Had a chance to finally give the new 1.13 ROM a go. Excellent, makes an already excellent machine arguably the best DE made. Hit the ripper kickback during the ripper mode for the first time as well, a million points per switch is nothing to sneeze at!

Thanks for all your work caker!

#463 9 years ago

2. Fuse? But why would the fuse blow...

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

quick questions: I have old rom 1.06 and old display rom 1.02.
1) What is the housing for EPROM for burning 1.13, DIL 28 or PLC 32?
2) Can I just update CPU ROM to 1.13 without updating display ROM?
3) What EPROM and in what housing should I buy to have latest display ROM burned on it?
thanks

1) The ROM is a 27C512
2) Yes
3) Wish I could be of more help, but I bought mine online from pinballroms.com already burnt.

#473 9 years ago

I don't know about easier, just potentially more balls during the multiball.

#475 9 years ago

Do you know how to read a schematic?

1 month later
#482 9 years ago

Excellent machine, if you need assistance getting a rom let me know.

#484 9 years ago

A healthy LAH is a happy LAH!

1 week later
#489 9 years ago

I can attest to the awesomeness of this board, have it in my LAH and it's amazing!

1 week later
#493 9 years ago

If the pins of the new chip are angled outward too much to easily fit in the socket, set the chip with one side of the pins flat on the glass and gently roll the chip towards the pins, ever so gently bending all of the pins in a little, repeat for the other side. Do this until the pins line up better and you don't have to struggle to get the pins into the socket.

1 week later
#498 9 years ago

I think that was a fair deal, no shaker motor installed and no driver board for it either. But, looked nice and clean.

#501 9 years ago

I wonder if your crane assembly is loose? If you try to move it with your have does it spin? Don't wrench on it, just see if it slips.

#503 9 years ago

Well, there might be some play in the spindle, but the actual crane shouldn't 'slip'. I'll take some pics of mine tonight for a comparison.

1 week later
#509 9 years ago

I use dead drop foam in my scoop, works great, accurate shots just drop right in. Is affecting the kick out, but not terrible. Maybe remove some of the foam from the top and leave it in the back.

http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

2 months later
#513 8 years ago

Make sure the wires are all connected properly, no frays etc. Grab a volt meter and enter coil test and see what readings you get.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in?tu=matt_rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.