Topic Stats

• 2,263 posts
  • 253 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Davi
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 535 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1385331C-873A-43B0-A00C-FE58C76D8096 (resized).jpeg
20191110_164411 (resized).jpg
20191110_164225 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20191106_182643.jpg
20191106_183559 (resized).jpg
IMG_6372 (resized).JPG
20190922_143258 (resized).jpg
20190922_184302 (resized).jpg
20190922_181535 (resized).jpg
587AC443-B339-4870-ADB4-AAB4FBEEA534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190916_192027 (resized).jpg
20190913_000300 (resized).jpg
20190913_201130 (resized).jpg
20190913_210422 (resized).jpg
20190913_212023 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpnsocal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#730 2 years ago

Well, I think I finally qualify for entry into the exclusive LAH Club! After lengthy ruminations, I pulled the trigger(pun intended) on a very nice example of the title. I consider the 2k I paid to be cheap for the fun this game provides with all that DE has put into it! I must admit though, it is my first DE machine and I was concerned that it would subject to a whole new set of technical nuances/quirks/issues that, for the most part, my limited Bally/Williams knowledge could not be employed ( an installed Rottendog MPU helped a bit to quell concerns.)

After 4 weeks of playing, tweaking, cleaning and general new game affection, I am now ready to address a couple of "nuisances/nuances" that I cannot fix. Since this forum seems like an obvious source of seasoned LAH game info, it would be nice to see if there are fixes or we all just live with these game specific quirks.

Here goes.

1. During multi ball and in shooting the crane VUK to initiate the "Jackpot" shot, I have ended up with as many as 3 balls in the crane. It normally would move to unload the ball into tar pit, but sometimes the crane fails to move, thereby causing the "ball backup." When the only balls remaining in play are the stuck ones, the machine goes into "missing ball mode" and when the crane finally moves, the ball(s) fall out the end of the crane and play can continue. Mind you, this only happens when my frenetic flailing occasionally manages to shoot multiple balls to the VUK, but it bothers me/others to have the play come to a halt. Thoughts?

2. When a CRANE targets are dropped, the ball sometimes get stuck over the target(s) that have been dropped. The ball is freed when the targets reset during "missing ball mode." I checked to see if I could adjust the the lowered target elevation, but it appears there are no slotted holes for adjustment. Am I missing something? I know I can McGiver a fix using the target reset arm.

I would appreciate any direction/thoughts from the esteemed members.
Thanks in advance,
Larry

#732 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

There should be an "L" bracket to one side of the drop target bank.
You have to loosen the two hex head screws mounted on the side of the
"L" bracket. Then, adjust the reset plate by turning the other hex head
screw (mounted on the face of the main drop target bracket and screws
into the face of the "L" bracket ). When satisfied with the height of the
dropped drop targets, tighten the two side screws on the "L" bracket.
If the five bank drop target assembly was replaced with one that was used
in the Simpsons pinball then, there are no adjustments; You got robbed.
Note: make sure you have the spring wire form on the back of the "Do Not Hit"
plate.
------
Check your switches to the crane alignment and VUK assembly and outhole
assembly. Can not tell what is happening unless you can post a video.

I found the "L" bracket(that I missed previously ) and adjusted the target elevation. The 2 crane limit switches work as they should. The VUK circular wire form switch was not perfectly centered, so I fixed that and checked that a ball actuates it reliably. I also made sure the VUK coil is firmly held in place as it had a little slop.

I guess a few games are in order to check results. Big Thanks for the direction and I'll post final outcome of the repairs/adjustments.

1 month later
#811 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Is your shaker motor going? Strange things can occur if the shaker motor is going. Any loose solder on switches will cause a number of odd issues. Try turning off the motor in the settings and see if it still occurs.

Well it took a couple of weeks for the problem (balls backing up in a crane that hasn't rotated) to occur again. Of course, the frequency "may" have more to do with my game play than an intermittent issue.(speculation of course.) I did manage to get a total of 4 balls in the crane. Then once the remaining ball is drained it eventually goes into lost ball mode, the crane activates and they roll out onto PF except for the one behind the lock by the crane cab.

Capn, thanks for the idea. I'll turn off the shaker and see what happens. It could take a while to have an occurrence during game play. I might have to figure an effective means by which to duplicate this with the PF glass off.

As a note, I can't see any switches that would trigger the crane rotation when the ball is launched from the VUK and then rolls into/down the crane arm. So I'm assuming that it's is a timed action?

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

When the crane is activated to move to the VUK location it will remain there until the VUK switch is activated. When the switch is activated the crane will begin movement and initializing the coil on the crane after 2 seconds to keep ball from rolling out. It is a time based movement. That being said. It seems like your VUK is getting the signal to launch the ball on the crane, but not telling the mpu to move the crane. Without going into a lot of hassel with mpu diagnosis lets try the simple stuff first.
1. Go into switch test and make sure your crane switches are working properly. Make sure that when it reaches the VUK that it is being detected that its there. One of the tricky things with this machine is getting the crane trained to perfection for hitting both switches just right. Go to the crane test mode and USE THE CRANE TO CHECK THE SWITCHES. Don't just use your fingers. Let the crane do the work to make sure the crane is actually hitting the switches.
2. Look at the VUK switch itself and make sure there are no loose solder connections and that it is sound.
3. Reseat all MPU connectors (You would be surprised at how this does miracles)

Well as luck would have it, following your previous idea (with the shaker off,) the problem presented itself in only 2 games! It happened in "super crane" mode, for what that's worth.

Capn, I very much appreciate your "k-i-s-s" approach, as this is well within my wheelhouse! I'll lift up the hood and give her a look/see.

Thx again!

1 week later
#821 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

When the crane is activated to move to the VUK location it will remain there until the VUK switch is activated. When the switch is activated the crane will begin movement and initializing the coil on the crane after 2 seconds to keep ball from rolling out. It is a time based movement. That being said. It seems like your VUK is getting the signal to launch the ball on the crane, but not telling the mpu to move the crane. Without going into a lot of hassel with mpu diagnosis lets try the simple stuff first.
1. Go into switch test and make sure your crane switches are working properly. Make sure that when it reaches the VUK that it is being detected that its there. One of the tricky things with this machine is getting the crane trained to perfection for hitting both switches just right. Go to the crane test mode and USE THE CRANE TO CHECK THE SWITCHES. Don't just use your fingers. Let the crane do the work to make sure the crane is actually hitting the switches.
2. Look at the VUK switch itself and make sure there are no loose solder connections and that it is sound.
3. Reseat all MPU connectors (You would be surprised at how this does miracles)

Well Capn, after checking all the recommended switches and solder joints(all were good,) I finally reseated the connectors. 30+ games since and no ball backup in the crane. I'm gonna believe that it was marginal connection(s) and it has been fixed, at least that's what I'm throwing out into the universe! Thanks again for the direction!

Since this is my first DE machine and with limited time on them as a whole, I am still trying to come to terms with my flippers that seem to get fatigued during play, albeit only during brief moments. Drives me crazy as I can't figure a rhyme or reason as to when it happens. My EOS switches are cleaned and gapped correctly and appear to function as they should. I actually thought it might be related to all the coils that fire off that voltage when I witnessed the ripper fire back a couple of "less than ballistic" returns...., but then I noticed that the velocity of the return can diminish a bit if the ball doesn't quite make it all the way to kicker. So who knows.....? I can't believe that all DE machines have this issue, as I have read some grumblings about their flippers not being up to par with B/W.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 229.99
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
Boards
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpnsocal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside