20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#710 7 years ago

Hello,
does anyone know what to search for when your display shows "Open the Door" but everything is checked?
I ordered an Nvram and installed.The same.
The Mpu boots ,Pia led is off and the other 2 light as supposed.
I see on the display the audit message and then Open the Door.After that it stays blank(It gives me a command 80 message randomly).
Entering the diagnostic or audit it steps every 2 and i cannot change many...
Of course i have no sound.
I have checked voltage to Mpu...on the pin or on the bench.Looks ok.

I have no idea what to llok for any more...
any idea?

3 years later
#2511 3 years ago

Hi to all LAH owners.
I have been trying to make my pinball working for the last 4 years!!!
At the beginning i had an Open the door problem.
A Member prompt me to put an nvram which i did.
This didn't solved the issue and the game started acting weirdly.
Sometimes i had blanking led sometimes no. I ended having only Pia & +5V.
I have checked Voltages and are OK.
I recently got a logic probe and a eprom programmer.
I burnt a leon's test eprom and it worked fine with everything working as should be,
I burnt a new 25712 eprom for CPu with 5.12 version and Blanking appeared again...Great news. Until putting the board on the game.
Now i get Vertical lines on the matrix display (4 lines 3 cm each which dissapear slowly from left to right )
No display is shown like version of game etc.
Is this related to the display eprom (Ic 27c040 )that i haven't updated?
As mentioned ,this has taken lot's of effort and time.It will be great if someone can guide me through the restoration of this great pinball.
My wife has already started asking to take it away from the living room!
Thank you all in advance!

#2517 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Lot going on here: I’d personally start by going meter crazy run your meter from a few of the problem areas to there corresponding connection beneath the pf if all that is good then run the same connection back to the boards.
From personal experience if your connections are all good I’d start with the ppb board pull that out and start testing the flow and the transistors/resistors. If the becomes the source of issue and you’re not comfortable with solder (as I was not when I got my machine) you can always send the board off for repair or replace it with a rottendog.
It’s all very overwhelming at first. Read the manual understand the flow. Become best friends with your meter. Search this topic for people with similar issues and lastly use pinwiki when you get stuck in the weeds. I had zero knowledge when I picked mine up and with time and patience you’ll get there just be prepared and go slow.

Thank you dimthedaylights & arolden ,
I have been working really slowly on this and i have learned a lot.
It is dissapointeed thought to fix something and found another wall -problem.
The issue with the display is totally new. Before i had an open the door message with no horizontal lines.
Can this be solved by burning a new display rom?
This is not so easy in Greece ,therefore any suggestion on any direction is really welcomed.

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I would check you ribbon cables before getting to deep. Re seat them

Cables checked.
I found a blown fuse F2 8 A sl-Bl broken and after short search i found the rectifier bad. I changed both .
the Display problem solved . But i have another issue.
After the Data East display i have an open the Door message. It makes sense as i changed the battery with an Nvram and i haven't adjust the game. Or not?
If i close the door the game does nothing . The switch is tested ok.
Also,at start ,the pinball triggers all solenoids in a sequence and stops. Lights are open .
There is no sound and i cannot start a game.
Trying to get into Diagnostics i can only see only every 2 adjustments (00, 02 etc )with no ability to change them pressing the start button.
I am sure that the solution maybe something easy (I hope ) but i have no idea what.

#2526 3 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

All the coils firing at the startup is indicating a missing ball...its looking for the missing ball.
Check the switches in the ball trough, 6 of em to check.
Also, make sure you have 6 balls installed in the trough!
Hope that helps.

It really helped.I am almost at the point of playing. The game plays but i have no sound nor Display.
It starts with the Data east display and then nothing. The game seems that plays fine without them.
I should say that i upgrated the CPU rom to A1.12 without touching the display or sound roms.
Do you believe it is related to this?

#2532 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

It really helped.I am almost at the point of playing. The game plays but i have no sound nor Display.
It starts with the Data east display and then nothing. The game seems that plays fine without them.
I should say that i upgrated the CPU rom to A1.12 without touching the display or sound roms.
Do you believe it is related to this?

I am facing a wall .
As i have posted earlier when i power the game i have a display version message with the version but then nothing on display.
I can feed credits and play but without sound and display.
I have checked voltages in Sound board and are fine.
Display is also fine as i have the initial display msg.

I cannot also enter into audit mode.
The door switch , Green and black switch are tested also ok.
Even if i keep up or down the green button, when i press the Black button i enter in Diagnostic.
There , i can move only every 2 steps and i cannot really change the settings (Only a few of them ). For instance , audit sound stays into No ,but i can change gave level to Easy or Moderate.
I have changed the 6264 ic with an anypin Nvram as i have removed the Battery
Also something weird is that a "Command 80 " flashes randomly on display.

I will appreciate if someone has an idea of what to search for.

#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

I am facing a wall .
As i have posted earlier when i power the game i have a display version message with the version but then nothing on display.
I can feed credits and play but without sound and display.
I have checked voltages in Sound board and are fine.
Display is also fine as i have the initial display msg.
I cannot also enter into audit mode.
The door switch , Green and black switch are tested also ok.
Even if i keep up or down the green button, when i press the Black button i enter in Diagnostic.
There , i can move only every 2 steps and i cannot really change the settings (Only a few of them ). For instance , audit sound stays into No ,but i can change gave level to Easy or Moderate.
I have changed the 6264 ic with an anypin Nvram as i have removed the Battery
Also something weird is that a "Command 80 " flashes randomly on display.
I will appreciate if someone has an idea of what to search for.

Does anyone has any idea to start searching for?
It will more than helpful as i am totally out of thinking anything else.....

#2537 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Are the dmd and sound Roms the same version as your game rom?
Also have you tried reseating and cleaning the contacts. Make sure there are no bent legs. It’s easy to do.

The Nvram is in the correct order and the game rom is also fine. Recently i burnt a new 27512 CPU ram with the latest version a1.12.
I haven't updated the Display and Sound Roms. Do you believe that they don't communicate properly with each other?
I will order tomorrow the 4 Eproms to check this also.

#2539 3 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

Yes, I believe that will likely be your issue...someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to have all the roms on the same version.

It may be the problem . I will check it the soonest i receive the roms.
My main concern is that i have no audit /adjastments. I can only get into diagnostic which doesn't also works as it should.
The soonest i have the results i will make a post.
Have a nice weekend.

#2541 3 years ago

You might also want to double check and verify that the game rom you made is ok.</blockquo

I do have +5 &Blanking Led lights when i power up the game as i must have . I burnt in a 27512 Eprom the latest program -Ver A1.12.
I cannot verify in any other way the game rom except for burning a new eprom. Or there is another easy way?

3 weeks later
#2555 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:It may be the problem . I will check it the soonest i receive the roms.
My main concern is that i have no audit /adjastments. I can only get into diagnostic which doesn't also works as it should.
The soonest i have the results i will make a post.
Have a nice weekend.

Hi again .
My problem still exist although i have just changed roms with new ones (Game ,display, sound ).
When i start the game i have the Version display,then the Open the Door and then nothing.
I can add credits and the game seems to play but without display and sound.
I have done everything i can the last 5 years and still nothing. Pia's seemed to work well when using a leon's test eprom in my workbench.
Does someone has any suggestion to start again searching for?

#2560 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm curious of the condition of your power supply. Do you know if you are getting the correct voltages to your DMD and sound board? DE games NEED 12v for the sound to work.

Yes ,indeed. 12 Volt is ok on both DMD and Sound board.
It is weird to have a working display at the beggining and then even when in play, have nothing except a random Command 80 that appears in Display.
It is very annoying having a game in great condition but not in operation for years.
I have no other idea of what to do.

3 months later
#2676 3 years ago

Hi LAH owners,
I have a sound problem which i hope someone will be willing to help.When i boot ,there is no sound entry. Display and game plays but without sound in general. When Ribbon cable CN21 is removed(Has been check having continuity ) i hear I'll be back sound so i believe that the sound board works. I have also recently changed sound Pal's ,display and game eprom .Voltages measured and fine as supposed. Pot turn and gives a small increasing hum that indicates that Pot is working.Any idea?
I checked also Pia at 7B and i have inputs pulsing but output at high Stage. Is this normal?
I do have a logic probe and oscillator.

Any idea will be much appreciated.

#2680 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Hi LAH owners,
I have a sound problem which i hope someone will be willing to help.When i boot ,there is no sound entry. Display and game plays but without sound in general. When Ribbon cable CN21 is removed(Has been check having continuity ) i hear I'll be back sound so i believe that the sound board works. I have also recently changed sound Pal's ,display and game eprom .Voltages measured and fine as supposed. Pot turn and gives a small increasing hum that indicates that Pot is working.Any idea?
I checked also Pia at 7B and i have inputs pulsing but output at high Stage. Is this normal?
I do have a logic probe and oscillator.
Any idea will be much appreciated.

Trying to figure out if Mpu doesn't trigger sounds from Sound Board and after inserting & taking out the ribbon cable at CN21 i heard game sound when trying to connent male connector with ribbon (Only when it is disconnected ).And sound played on a loop . So what i believe is that somehow i connected some pins from CN21 and triggered the sound board to produce background sound. When i connect the ribbon cable all in this stops.
Maybe a 6821 Sound Pia causes this problem? the weird thing is that i have tested them with a Leon's Test Eprom in MPU and all outputs seemed OK!
I have been searching all over for anything related to this but nothing. ?????

#2682 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sure you have the ribbon cable plugged in right on both ends? Red stripe on the ribbon cable must match up with the pin 1 label on the sound board and at the CPU board. Try flipping the cable on one end.

The ribbon cable was reversed after fixing my previous Open the Door Problem with no display and sound activity. I checked it and now it is as should be butagain with no sound.
I have narrowed my search in U7 Sound PIA .In one of the Network Resistance 4K7 Ohm, one of the leg measures out of specs. It goes to pin 39 that with Leon Test on board should go high and low.It is stucked low at about 1 Volt
Do you believe this may be the problem?
I have already ordered PIA that it will take for ever to arrive in Greece. Let's hope.

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2693 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It sounds like it could be the PIA or the RA19. I hadn't had an issue with sound on a CPU board before. Hmm...what PIA did you order? There are many fake 6821 out there that may work for a while but then crap out, if not DOA.
The Western Digital W65C21N6TPG-14 is a new replacement part for the obsolete 6821. Maybe you can find them on your side of the world if the PIA you receive has issues.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Western-Design-Center-WDC/W65C21N6TPG-14?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduifD1gf44hwy5ejokbLHUq8bOouCmEsViCPIGu8FqTGdA%3D%3D
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W65C21N6TPG-14

Thank you PinballManiac40 for your suggestions. I Changed Pia at 7B with an 6821 from My Eight ball Deluxe Sound Board and the sound problem is finally over. New balls on Game , a new playfield Protector ,New Leds installed and the game is now amazing.
rapidflipper dynamite is also great looking mod that will be the next to do. Thank you all for any support given.

3 weeks later
#2718 3 years ago
Quoted from Supagoat:

I’m also gonna start cleaning the playfield and I saw some videos and they recommend using nafta but I can’t find it in europe. do you recommend me any other similar product? I also read that maybe I can use the zippo gas. do you recommend me that? also I had a little bit of plastic pealing on my playfield. what can I use to paste it? thank you everyone for your help
[quoted image]

For general playfield cleaning you can use novus 2 . I have also used a common housecleaning product that must be available to Spain , Cif. It cleans really well.At least for my really dirty pinballs before restoration did meracles. Naptha is the equivalent to Zippo Gas. (There is a product with the same name in Europe but it is Turpentine oil from Pine trees but don;t use it.). For the Mylar that has pealed you may add a small piece and connect it with the rest of playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
York, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in?tu=jordan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.