20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alwaysbrokenpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1338 5 years ago

I just pick up up a LAH that was non working. I stripped the playfield down and cleaned it. replaced all fuse clips. New Bridge rectifiers (all). Checked all fuses. Reflowed solder.

Game boots fine and All looks well but still having a few issues.

-will not eject a ball
-when I push flippers the ball launch and the ripper solenoids fire (but activate very weakly) { <---This is the weirdest one for me }
- the ripper does not fire during the "ripper" test
- Also of note during diagnosis test:
-coil fire tests no coils fire until what seems to be one cycle has run... then the backbox lights flash once then the coil test begins again... and then only some coils fire (pop bumpers, kickers near flippers, few others).
-during lamps test. All lights display and flash during that test but the lamp "row" and "column" test... nothing happens.

So maybe a few issues going on at the same time.

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Definitely time for a cap kit if you have an OEM DE board installed and check for broken solder joints on the connectors of this board.

There are only like 4 caps on the CPU (MPU) board. I could change them out in about 5 minutes. Hard to imagine that is my problem thought.

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Chances are you may have an MPU issue, but to help troubleshoot. I would check to see if you can manually fire each solenoid by grounding the tabs of the transistors very momentarily.Do you have any battery damage? Where the batteries sit is a common location for damage to the special solenoid section.
Capn

No battery acid damage at all but there Is a pretty major hack job on the circuitboard of the MPU near the CN12 connector.. It appears that a transistor fried the circuitboard sometime in the past and there’s pretty much no trace left on the back of the board and the prior owner did what he could to pack it all together. He used to tip122 transistors? Is that appropriate for this transistor replacement in this area? If this is the problem area is crappy repair job may have been the reason that I ended up getting the machine when a faulty repair did not fix the problem. However this area may have nothing to do with my problem.

uPDATE: The replaced transistors are q25 (crane motor) and q26 (drop target) and do not seem to be to related. ...?

134EA1BE-F396-4903-8BFC-A3D33C1DFCA3 (resized).jpeg134EA1BE-F396-4903-8BFC-A3D33C1DFCA3 (resized).jpeg7764DDB4-BA58-483B-B2DA-0A2B95FF9854 (resized).jpeg7764DDB4-BA58-483B-B2DA-0A2B95FF9854 (resized).jpegE70AB067-1371-4BF1-A3AE-E2D8FCD74595 (resized).jpegE70AB067-1371-4BF1-A3AE-E2D8FCD74595 (resized).jpegFC80F75F-8CEA-431C-8BAF-C00917079FEB (resized).jpegFC80F75F-8CEA-431C-8BAF-C00917079FEB (resized).jpeg

#1346 5 years ago

If it is an MPU board. I can do a MPU swap. I rescued a boardset from a WWF a few years ago. And the WWF MPU is a nice un-hacked board. What chips do I need to change out here?

(shown is my WWF board)

Is it just the one marked with the white label marked WWF?

IMG_9861 (resized).jpgIMG_9861 (resized).jpg

#1348 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Chances are you may have an MPU issue, but to help troubleshoot. I would check to see if you can manually fire each solenoid by grounding the tabs of the transistors very momentarily.Do you have any battery damage? Where the batteries sit is a common location for damage to the special solenoid section.
Capn

Good News / Bad News. I have eliminated the MPU as the problem. I swapped my LAH chip on an old WWF MPU board and the identical problems persists. So what is next?

#1351 5 years ago

As I mentioned above, I believe you need to change the capacitors on the power supply and check for broken solder joints on all the male header connectors. But for fun, if you have a power supply from the WWF, try that board first.

I have replaced all caps on the board with the exception of the (4) 4700UF 25V at C4 & the 1000uf 63v at c1

my voltages are

TP1 5.09v
TP3 15.00
TP4 11.81

So voltage seems good

I will replace the caps at C1 and C4 when they arrive but the larger caps on this board are a BITCH to change out without damaging traces. Like I said before all solder at header pins was reflowed and are good. using the WWF board is not an option it is bad.

#1352 5 years ago

Remove the 6 balls out of the trough, make sure the 5 bank drop targets are in the up position, and then go to the active switch test and see which one(s) are still registering. You may have 2 closed switches needing adjusting.

Did this... no problems.

#1353 5 years ago

Hold the phone... I replaced my PPB (playfield power board)with the only WWF one and half my issues corrected themselves. But I am getting no flashers on the flasher test (none!) and on manual coil test (which also activates flashers ) the coil are firing okay enough during test (not all but most) but then when a flasher test occurs a coil fires instead of any flasher. So the coils are firing twice in some cases, once on their correct coil test.. and then again on the following flasher test.

Weird

1 week later
#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Capn

Okay... I did not want to waste anyones time on simple stuff I could research on my own. So I dug a bit deeper on this. I was fortunate to have some spare parts from a few other DE games. I swapped out the MPU Boards and both worked fine. Swapped out 3 PPB board, one of them a known working board. As I said before Powerboard was giving good power on all test points. SO....

I was blowing the 3A fuse on F7 on all the PPB boards which installed (they all blew instantly.) This seem to result in, or it occurred at the same time of Q46 transistor blowing. (okay if I am going to be very honest here... on the last attempt I over-fused the F7 to a 5 amp and the transistor blew with a puff of smoke)

I pull up in my manual and Q46 is 1L 6-Ball Assembly Lockout and 1R Top right Police Lights flashers

So what am I looking for her in the 6-Ball Assembly area? (I will of course check the R police flasher on the top, but since they have been enclosed in their plastic for years I do not foresee a problem (unless it is with the wires leading to them.)

(Full disclosure I have recently removed a ton of parts (including the 6-Ball Assembly) when i stripped the PF down to bare wood on the topside and removed every scoop / crome part to polish. Honestly I could have re-solder something wrong or maybe my coil is bad in the 6-Ball assm???)

and I have already reflowed solder on boards and replace several related connectors on the Power board and PPB board... so I do not think I am have a connector issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alwaysbrokenpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in?tu=alwaysbrokenpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.