20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kratogen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#663 7 years ago

LAH is my first pin!! I am new to the hobby and just picked up this beautiful machine last week. I feel like I really lucked-out because LAH is gaining popularity as more people realize its a sleeper! The machine is in pretty good shape overall and plays well. As a watchmaker I have experience with complicated mechanical things but have little experience with electrical diagnostics. I have started exploring the diagnostic and adjustment menus in depth and here are all the problems I have found with the machine thus far:

-8 dead lamps - What is the preferred source for lamps/bulbs?

-3 bad coils - Ramp diverter, knocker and GI relay. The ramp diverter and knocker seem dead and failed the coil tests in the diagnostic menu. The GI relay coil might also be bad; the GI lamps by the flippers are out and nothing happened during the coil test.

-2 potential bad switches- Trough #7 right, which is apparently notorious for causing ball search after multiball. My machine has this issue and the switch might need to be replaced or adjusted, according to the forums. Middle scoop right, which may or may not be bad. It failed the switch test but seems to work (sometimes) in play.

-Missing the post w/rubber above the left outlane. This is causing lots of left outlane drains. Whats a good source for posts and similar hardware?

-Attract mode music cuts off with an audible "click" shortly after powering on the machine. Menu item is set to "on" for Attract mode.

-Hum / buzz from speakers. You had mentioned earlier that capacitors might be going bad. Great Plains has capacitor kits for Stern/Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb but I did not see one for Data East. Any suggestions?

Also, I am very nervous to raise the playfield (even though I probably shouldn't be.) I have not seen any videos online about raising a Data East playfield. Will i be able to raise it to full vertical? Does it lock into place and will there be stops or clicks to let me know when it is locked in place? I have been reading horror stories about dropping the playfield into the cabinet.

The game plays great even with all the above stuff. Id just like to get it as close to perfect as possible. I went ahead and splurged on the alternate translite, I will share a pic as soon as i get it!

2016-06-27_15.03.52_(resized).jpg2016-06-27_15.03.52_(resized).jpg

2016-06-28_09.29.08-2_(resized).jpg2016-06-28_09.29.08-2_(resized).jpg

2016-06-28_09.27.48_(resized).jpg2016-06-28_09.27.48_(resized).jpg

2016-06-28_09.26.26_(resized).jpg2016-06-28_09.26.26_(resized).jpg

2016-06-28_09.26.17_(resized).jpg2016-06-28_09.26.17_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#667 7 years ago
Quoted from PinsoutH:

Hmmmm... Ironically enough, LAH is my first pin as well. About the ball search, does it happen after the multiball ends? I've got an issue on mine, haven't really dug in to it, but it happens whenever multiball starts.
I don't beleive it actually goes into ball search, but it hesitates. You can shoot the left scoop to start multi, after which I'm suspecting should immediatly autopluge another ball into play. Mine will, but it seems to take it a good 4-5 seconds before it actually plunges. Haven't dug into it yet, heck, mine is still shrink wrapped up in the bonus room from our recent house move.

Mine hesitates when starting multiball as well, but I considered it normal and never thought about it. Until now!

#668 7 years ago

I just received the alternate translite and was curious about the image quality. The image has a reddish hue overall, and appears to have digital artifacts or pixelation. For example, take a look at the shadow in Arnold's bicep. If you have one, please compare and let me know if yours has the same traits. I need to know if I am being too picky, it was not cheap. reddish hue overallreddish hue overall2016-07-05_10.32.36_(resized).jpg2016-07-05_10.32.36_(resized).jpgartifacts bicep shadowartifacts bicep shadowartifacts cheekartifacts cheek

#670 7 years ago

The translite looks good installed on the game. I don't notice the digital artifacts/pixelation from playing position so I am happy. There are more available on the Pinside market if anyone else needs one.

2016-07-05_22.38.59_(resized).jpg2016-07-05_22.38.59_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#676 7 years ago

A ball gets stuck on the ramp behind the crane almost every single game. I think the gate switch might be a little stiff, combined with a dirty ramp might be causing the issue. Anyone else experienced this?

7 months later
#826 7 years ago

I might have just fried my LAH!
This morning I was attempting to test my ramp diverter coil, which has never worked. When I first got my machine, a knowledgeable friend showed me a test where he "jumped" the coil and was able to determine that the coil could fire. Today I tried to re-create that test and must have done something wrong.
I clipped a test wire to the positive tab on the coil, and touched the other side to the lockdown bar frame. I saw sparks. Since that happened a bunch of other coils are now non-functional:
Diverter (always been non-op)
All 3 pops
Both slings
And I think the scoops are out now too.

I admit that I am a novice pin-tech and am happy to learn from my mistakes. Anyone have any idea what I did to my game?
Thanks!

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

If I am reading this right, you basically grounded the positive terminal of the coil? Is that correct? Gotta ask, what were you trying to test by performing this? Were you really looking to ground the negative side of the coil?
Have you checked all the fuses? It would be the first thing to do, hopefully they protected your boards.

That's correct, that is exactly what I did. What I was trying to test was that the coil could physically function. It was a test a friend had once showed me (I clearly did it wrong) that he said was a good starting point for diagnosing a problem with a coil. He showed that the coil could fire when he connected a test wire, I clearly forgot where he connected it.
I will check all the fuses, thanks.

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

A good friend would have shown you the coil test menu in diagnostics.

Yes, I know about the diagnostics menu and coil test. After that failed, we went directly to the coil and thats when he jumped it to demonstrate that it indeed can work. I was just trying to jump it like he did and failed miserably.

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Check fuse f5, it's on the power supply board ( top left board). That should control you special coils (slingshots, pop bumpers,etc)

Thanks, the fuse had blown and a new fuse fixed the dead coils. I will not make that mistake again and really appreciate your help!
Now the original problem remains, my diverter does not work. Whats the best way to diagnose this problem?

#836 7 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

GET A DMM! You can't solve this issue without it.
First, check the fuse that powers the divertor. Data east has really bad fuse clips. You may have a poor connection at the fuse.
Second, check for power at the coil. Using your DMM. Attach the black to the grounding strip of the cabinet and then using the red lead tough either lugs of the coil in question. You should get a reading of 25-80VDC. If you have power to the coil move on to step 4.
Third, if no power at coil then you need to trace wire (brown/yellow) from coil all the way up stream to find the break in the connection. If you find no broken connection all the way to the PCB - CHECK YOUR FUSE and FUSE CONNECTOR.
Fourth, if you have power to the coil, but it doesnt fire in test mode then the chances are your Q27 for the divertor is shot. TIP122 needs to be replaced with a TIP102. You can test the transistor with your multimeter too. TIP122/102: Put the black lead of the DMM on the center lead or on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor one at a time. The DMM should show a reading of .4 to .6 volts. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.
I always replace my pre-driver while im at it. 2N4401.
Check your resistance on your coil too. Anything less than 3ohms is bad.

Thank you, I have a DMM.
I dont think its the fuse, I just replaced the fuse that the diverter uses after I blew it up a few posts above. All the other coils that share that fuse now function normally.
I will follow your instructions this evening after work and report back!

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

You can bring your board with you when you come to my place, we can test it in my LAH to see if it is the board itself or something on playfield. If you dont have solved by then...

Thats a great idea! If i dont have it fixed by then ill bring it down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kratogen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in?tu=Kratogen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.