20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 71.
#3001 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is correct. The idea is to press the smart missile button before the ball is lost. When the ball reaches either the left or right outlane or the center drain, the ball is effectively lost.

He said inlane not outlane. I'd look at some diode in the switch matrix.

#3002 2 years ago

Welp, I picked up a working sound board (JP roms) and my sound came. Swapped LAH roms over and back to no sound. JP roms into the original board... sound again. Do rom chips ever just...die, for seemingly no reason? They look fine.. no visible damage.

IMG_20220211_145423_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220211_145423_01 (resized).jpg
#3003 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Hi group. Looking for a little help. Of course it is to do with the crane.
Looking for a picture or the bottom of the gearbox, showing the arm positions while the crane is home against the blue ramp.
My crane doesn’t like to swing to home when trying to lock a ball. It stops facing sdtm.

Here is a pic of my crane in the home position and the corresponding position of the arms on the gearbox. If some pops their playfield could you look and just confirm your arms are in the same position.

7B0222AC-3322-4574-A010-B9C4739FE7AB (resized).jpeg7B0222AC-3322-4574-A010-B9C4739FE7AB (resized).jpeg
#3004 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Welp, I picked up a working sound board (JP roms) and my sound came. Swapped LAH roms over and back to no sound. JP roms into the original board... sound again. Do rom chips ever just...die, for seemingly no reason? They look fine.. no visible damage.
[quoted image]

Yes they can.

Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

[quoted image]

Same revision?

#3005 2 years ago
Quoted from ShortCorky:

just (re)-joined the club earlier this week. During gameplay, I noticed some issues with what seem like the machine activating phantom switches. The "deactivate smart missile" graphic comes up at super random times. I noticed some other oddities, but this is the most common.
Did some investigating with the glass off and found the right in-lane deactivates the smart missile. I don't believe this is correct.
Has anyone else experienced this or something like it? Any insights on how to diagnose?
(I took a video, but can't figure out how to upload it)

Go into switch test and pound on the playfield. Maybe one of your outlane switches are too sensitive or faulty?

#3006 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Here is a pic of my crane in the home position and the corresponding position of the arms on the gearbox. If some pops their playfield could you look and just confirm your arms are in the same position. [quoted image]

Crane issue solved. Replaced the bridge rectifier on the power supply board.

To recap. Crane goes from left switch (blue ramp) to right switch (yellow wireform) with no problems in test mode.

During game crane stops short of left switch when ball is loaded in crane.

1 week later
#3007 2 years ago

Sorry if this has already been discussed here. But does anybody know who has the 3 hole guards in stock? Thanks

#3008 2 years ago

Check ebay. There used to be someone making slightly more durable sets and listed them there. Cliffys are thinner and dont impact game play as much but the thicker set is more durable if your game already has those holes blown out.

#3009 2 years ago

Regardless of which set you go with, I’d repair any damage to the scoop holes before you install them or you’re wasting your money and time.

My LAH came with scoop protectors installed over the damage and they were all mangled and deformed because of it, and in turn effected game play.

It’s not overly hard to repair. Some 2 part wood filler and sanding. I think vid talks about it in his playfield restore thread.

#3010 2 years ago

100% @mad carl.

The protectors just deform if there is nothing under them to support it.

Ball strikes up that area at the spinner are brutal.

#3011 2 years ago

Just joined the club myself!! Picked this up today and it's in amazing condition besides all the dust lol. Game starts but says missing balls even though all are in, game has a new rotten dog mpu and sound board too. When I start the machine the dmd turns on then the coils start to fire and a ball pops out then it says push start lol. So I'm going to take it apart clean it and check all switches....this is my first data east as well. Oh and crane dose not turn it just rotates if I touch it as if it's not attached.

20220305_173152 (resized).jpg20220305_173152 (resized).jpg

#3012 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Just joined the club myself!! Picked this up today and it's in amazing condition besides all the dust lol. Game starts but says missing balls even though all are in, game has a new rotten dog mpu and sound board too. When I start the machine the dmd turns on then the coils start to fire and a ball pops out then it says push start lol. So I'm going to take it apart clean it and check all switches....this is my first data east as well. Oh and crane dose not turn it just rotates if I touch it as if it's not attached.
[quoted image]

The crane most likely needs to be tightened to the shaft. There is a set screw on the neck of the crane that will lock it in place. It will take a few tries to get it aligned. As far as the balls spitting out and missing balls, that is tougher to diagnose. Check to see if the balls are magnetized by putting them all on a flat surface and see if they like to stick together. If they do, replace them with carbon steel. Sometimes magnetized balls don't want to move freely in the trough, causing the machine to get confused as to how many balls are in there.

#3013 2 years ago

Also new to the club, and newer to data east games in general. Anyone have any idea why my right flipper travels more than the left? Everything appears to be the way it should on the assembly’s, rubber stops are the same, shafts and stops and sleeves are all the same and in good shape. Everything is tight and not moving will post pics in a bit, thanks

#3014 2 years ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Also new to the club, and newer to data east games in general. Anyone have any idea why my right flipper travels more than the left? Everything appears to be the way it should on the assembly’s, rubber stops are the same, shafts and stops and sleeves are all the same and in good shape. Everything is tight and not moving will post pics in a bit, thanks

Your right plunger might have a different or worn/hogged out link.

Seems like there is some slight differences between the the generations of Data East flipper set ups, and from what I’ve seen some games fall right in the middle of the change. If you sort for parts by game name on Marco or PBL they usually have the correct ones listed.

The flippers on my Jurassic Park had way more travel than they needed or that’s normal and it was super easy to trap the ball and hard to transfer the ball between flippers. It drove me nuts.

I rebuilt the flippers with the correct kit and everything was good again.

#3015 2 years ago

Put new plunger and link in and still a slight difference, don’t think that the right one is traveling too far but the left one not far enough. Coil stops are fine. Can anyone verify that the plunger is 2 1/4” and that these are the correct coils, 090 5020 30

A6161727-6D40-4FA6-BB45-B397FF4CDBBF (resized).jpegA6161727-6D40-4FA6-BB45-B397FF4CDBBF (resized).jpegC0F6E2FA-C444-413C-92DF-950E64E6B0DA (resized).jpegC0F6E2FA-C444-413C-92DF-950E64E6B0DA (resized).jpegF5D00C1A-AC27-4BBF-A64C-4AF9A5B53AA3 (resized).jpegF5D00C1A-AC27-4BBF-A64C-4AF9A5B53AA3 (resized).jpeg
#3016 2 years ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Put new plunger and link in and still a slight difference, don’t think that the right one is traveling too far but the left one not far enough. Coil stops are fine. Can anyone verify that the plunger is 2 1/4” and that these are the correct coils, 090 5020 30
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Adjust the plate on the flipper bracket which holds the rubber stop.

Just bend it.

#3017 2 years ago

OK got most of my issues cleared up I think, the game boots up like normal now. The only issue I'm having now is nothing happens when I push start, the button lights up and the dmd says to push start but nothing lol. I'm going to trace the buttons wires to make sure.

#3018 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

OK got most of my issues cleared up I think, the game boots up like normal now. The only issue I'm having now is nothing happens when I push start, the button lights up and the dmd says to push start but nothing lol. I'm going to trace the buttons wires to make sure.

Go into switch test first.

#3019 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Go into switch test first.

Thanks, just check it and all is good. When going through the menu anything that needed me to hit the start button to adjust I couldnt.. it does light up and blink.

#3020 2 years ago

the light is ok, but the switch contacts are not wired, or the wires broke.

#3021 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

the light is ok, but the switch contacts are not wired, or the wires broke.

Or bad diode.

I wanted him to go into the switch test menu, doesn't sound like he has.

Press the center button down into the lock position and when you hit the menu button it will be in hardware tests instead of audits and adjustments.

#3022 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Or bad diode.
Press the center button down into the lock position and when you hit the menu button it will be in hardware tests instead of audits and adjustments.

Prob a diode, but that would mess up other switches on that row as well but still a valid test

#3023 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Or bad diode.

I went to the test in the diagnostic option for the switches and the only active switches were the trough 1-6 and the crane. After I clicked a few more times it said all switches ok.

#3024 2 years ago

Alright so last night I took all the connectors off the mpu to inspect them, put them back on and turned the game on and now a whole new set of problems lol. I'm going to redo the connectors and see if that solves some issues.

#3025 2 years ago

The crane on my LAH activates when I start a game, with the shaker motor. It has done this for as long as i have had it (years). I thought it was supposed to do this, but also always thought it was odd. I saw some video the other day and noticed their crane did not move at start. Actually, more accurately the crane moves whenever a ball is kicked out to the shooter lane. Each ball on every player.

I don't have any issues with the crane in any other instance. It does what it is supposed to.

Any ideas, or is this normal?

Thanks.

#3026 2 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

The crane on my LAH activates when I start a game, with the shaker motor. It has done this for as long as i have had it (years). I thought it was supposed to do this, but also always thought it was odd. I saw some video the other day and noticed their crane did not move at start. Actually, more accurately the crane moves whenever a ball is kicked out to the shooter lane. Each ball on every player.
I don't have any issues with the crane in any other instance. It does what it is supposed to.
Any ideas, or is this normal?
Thanks.

Start up behavior may have changed in later rom revisions. What rom version are you on?

#3027 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Start up behavior may have changed in later rom revisions. What rom version are you on?

Wow... I am behind! Good call. I have 1.06 so maybe that's it.

#3028 2 years ago

the newest one does make the game a bit more forgiving and irons out some wrinkles.. check it out!

#3029 2 years ago

OK so does anyone know where to find the lower left plastic that's right above the left drain? I ordered a new plastic set and came with everything but that one piece lol. And where does that huge Arnold go that came with the set?

#3030 2 years ago

huge arnold goes at the top of the ramp. there should be an led socket on the back of him.

whts the lower left plastic?

#3031 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

OK so does anyone know where to find the lower left plastic that's right above the left drain? I ordered a new plastic set and came with everything but that one piece lol. And where does that huge Arnold go that came with the set?

Did you order this from pinball center? They were the only one's I've seen that have a set. If so, how are the graphics and colors?

#3032 2 years ago
Quoted from Juicerc51:

Did you order this from pinball center? They were the only one's I've seen that have a set. If so, how are the graphics and colors?

Marco specialties has them in stock and the colors are amazing and the blues match the playfeild.

#3033 2 years ago

OK here is a pic of them...sorry I already installed the slingshots and the upper right plastic lol. The only piece missing is the small triangular piece right above the left drain next to the bad guy with the gun that has smoke coming out.

These are a remake and the blues are lighter than the original on at least one of the pieces....benedicts eyes plastic but the rest match spot in even the center scoop piece.

Colors are deep and rich, plastic is amazing and just an overall great set, 169.99 at marcospecialties.com.

Where does the huge Arnold go lol?

20220310_010048 (resized).jpg20220310_010048 (resized).jpg

#3034 2 years ago

The big Arnold is just for display. You can use it as a topper. As for the piece above the left outlane, isn't that piece a clear plastic?

#3035 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

The big Arnold is just for display. You can use it as a topper. As for the piece above the left outlane, isn't that piece a clear plastic?

OK you might be right, it's just strange lol.

Had to order a new crane motor assembly as mine had a stripped gear.

All rails and the crane are Being powered coated right now. If I can't get sound to work I'm ordering pinsound lol.

#3036 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

OK you might be right, it's just strange lol.
Had to order a new crane motor assembly as mine had a stripped gear.
All rails and the crane are Being powered coated right now. If I can't get sound to work I'm ordering pinsound lol.

I know Pinsound+ and Pinsound nao, what's Pinsound lol?

#3037 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Marco specialties has them in stock and the colors are amazing and the blues match the playfeild.

Thanks for that heads up! That must be relatively new, as they were not around when I was purchasing my parts for my restoration.

#3038 2 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I know Pinsound+ and Pinsound nao, what's Pinsound lol?

Lol! Is it worth the extra to get Pinsound+ over nao?

#3039 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It is a clear plastic. MR_TANTRUM makes a nice sticker to go over or under that piece. He also makes the chicken plastic piece and a chrome overlay for the DE logo on the apron. I have all three!

#3040 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

It is a clear plastic. MR_TANTRUM makes a nice sticker to go over or under that piece. He also makes the chicken plastic piece and a chrome overlay for the DE logo on the apron. I have all three!

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

#3041 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

20220310_103246 (resized).jpg20220310_103246 (resized).jpg
#3042 2 years ago

Beautiful! Just ordered mine, thank you so much guys.

#3043 2 years ago

Does anyone make a tar pit remake? I'm repairing mine that isn't too bad but just curious.

#3044 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

Does anyone make a tar pit remake? I'm repairing mine that isn't too bad but just curious.

Nope. I had a NOS one that I offered to lend out for reproduction but was turned away.

#3045 2 years ago

Oh ok well that sucks but hopefully one day.

Does anyone know why sound would just cut out one day and not return? Is this the excuse I need to buy pinsound+ ?

#3046 2 years ago

OK and now my dmd just died, I replaced the ribbon cables and check power and all is good...looks like color dmd is next...I hope this isn't something dumb.

#3047 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

OK and now my dmd just died, I replaced the ribbon cables and check power and all is good...looks like color dmd is next...I hope this isn't something dumb.

Check fuses first.

#3048 2 years ago

OK all fuses replaced and sound came back on with everything. The only issue now is when I start it up the dmd shows the version of the rooms I'm using then once it changes over to display press start it cuts off immediately. I have all new ribbon cables, sometimes it does last a little longer but always cuts out.

#3049 2 years ago

Those of you with the pin2dmd, where are you tapping the 5v at?

#3050 2 years ago
Quoted from JasAce:

OK all fuses replaced and sound came back on with everything. The only issue now is when I start it up the dmd shows the version of the rooms I'm using then once it changes over to display press start it cuts off immediately. I have all new ribbon cables, sometimes it does last a little longer but always cuts out.

Might be an issue with the rottendog power board. I read another post somewhere that the same issue was caused by the board. The person put an original board in and the problem went away. A colordmd looks great in LAH so that might be an option, albeit an expensive one.

I found the post. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-last-action-hero-dmd-issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.