Topic Stats

• 2,055 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 80 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 457 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

57740309968__FF256146-CADD-49B5-8771-BE34FDA609AF (resized).JPG
LAH snip (resized).JPG
received_797663050597077 (resized).jpeg
20190325_122526 (resized).jpg
20190325_122436 (resized).jpg
20190325_122436 (resized).jpg
20190323_145047 (resized).jpg
20190319_005245 (resized).jpg
IMG_1944.JPG
ClearPlastic.jpg
20190316_181632 (resized).jpg
20190316_181510 (resized).jpg
20190316_181611 (resized).jpg
02 grills behind light frames (resized).jpg
IMG_2230 (resized).jpg
IMG_2232 (resized).jpg

There are 2055 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 42.
#251 4 years ago

The flippers can work mostly fine without the eos switches IF the flipper board has been modified a-la the service bulletin. However without eos switches, even with this mod you will suffer from the falling flipper problem you describe when the ripper hits the flipper. Wire those eos switches back up and see how that works for you.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

...Second question is how do you get Last, Action, and Hero lit. I've lit Last and action but I'm kind of just banging the ball around at the point and can't figure out what is allowing me to get those awards?

Quoted from akm:

...Last, Action and Hero are activated the same way that regular modes are activated. If either one of those words is lit (as opposed to a normal mode) and you hit the left scoop when the Dynamite Feature is lit, you will complete that word.

Sometimes hitting the center or right scoops will change the mode that's lit to highlight a Last, Action or Hero word. This is useful if your goal is to get to LAST ACTION HERO, since it can be pretty large points if your machine is set a certain way and you play it out well enough.

I've never noticed that the center scoops changes the flashing (pending) mode. The primary way the flashing mode is changed is each pop bumper hit advances to the next unlit (mode). Also, the far right (wildcard) scoop will force it to the next unlit LAST, ACTION, or HERO insert (displaying the horseshoe magnet animation pulling the word in with a cool sound effect).

As with any other mode, you have to collect it by shooting the left scoop (Movie Screen) when lit. Light the left scoop by either shooting the left ramp (will light it until the next mode is collected/started) or either inlane rollover switch will flash the left scoop for a few seconds.

I recommend studying Duffy's rule sheet, available at the usual suspects:
http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/1416/lastacti.htm

Post edited by classicgamefan: Corrected to refer to center (chicken) scoop not changing next model.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

I've never noticed that the scoops change the flashing (pending) mode.

See below--

Quoted from classicgamefan:

Also, the far right (wildcard) scoop will force it to the next unlit LAST, ACTION, or HERO insert (displaying the horseshoe magnet animation pulling the word in with a cool sound effect).

This is what I meant. I thought the center scoop did it as well, but now that I think of it, that shot always progresses towards lighting Chicken.

I am pretty sure that when the pops are changing the lit modes, it can land on one of the LAST ACTION HERO words as well as opposed to one of the standard modes.

#254 4 years ago

I would like to hook up the EOS flipper switches. Problem is, I don't see 4 loose wires sitting near or around the EOS switches near the flippers under the playfield. Its like someone put new switches on, didn't hook them up, and probably stuffed the end of the wires in a bundle somewhere. Can someone tell me the four colors of the EOS switch wires so I can search for them some more. And/or do they come from anywhere in particular in case the wire is just completely gone? Thanks

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

See below--

This is what I meant. I thought the center scoop did it as well, but now that I think of it, that shot always progresses towards lighting Chicken.
I am pretty sure that when the pops are changing the lit modes, it can land on one of the LAST ACTION HERO words as well as opposed to one of the standard modes.

Quite right. I've corrected my previous post as well. Thanks!

#256 4 years ago

Here are the eos switches with wiring:

20140530_104003.jpg

#257 4 years ago

Thanks caker137, that's what I needed. I found the 4 wires stuffed together in the bundle that you see together in the far left side of the picture above. Somebody soldered the Brown/purple wire together with the blue/purple wire. Then they separately soldered the blue/grey wire together to the brown/grey striped wire. I'm guessing they did that to complete a circuit. So they are soldered together but not hooked up to the EOS switches. Can anyone figure out (A) why they would do that and (B) is there any reason anyone can see that I just can't clip them, strip them, and connect them to the EOS switches. As I said above the EOS switches have never had solder on them.

I just can't figure out if someone rebuilt the flippers and forgot to hook them up. Seems strange that they were just soldered together and stuffed in the wire bundle. Not sure what to think.

#258 4 years ago

anyone have spare blue domes for the flashers?

If not, I'm gonna pull the trigger on 4 clear domes from pinball spare parts in australia to make it worth the shipping and paint them with candy apple blue. Be happy to sell of some spares
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/pl00199-n.html

#259 4 years ago

I was told those domes were made just for the game and they have been long gone. You gonna paint them from the inside? Keep us informed.

#260 4 years ago

ebay.com link » De Data East Last Action Hero Crane Assembly For Pinball Machine

Not mine but just saw a LAH crane and crane assembly for 85 bucks on ebay if anyone is in need of one. 1 day left

#261 4 years ago

Loaned my LAH to Mark from pinball bulbs and it came back with a super sexy LED kit.

image-306.jpg
#262 4 years ago

Update to the EOS situation. Finally had some time. Took the EOS wires out of the bundle. Hooked them up properly and everything works fine. The left flipper stays up when the ripper shot is shot at it. I'd say it moves a bit maybe drops 1/8 as it gets but does stay up. So I guess it turns out either it was never hooked up, but more likely the flippers were rebuilt and for some reason that guy never hooked up the EOS switches.

#263 4 years ago

I get my official membership card tomorrow. It's going to drive me a little nuts to have it delivered first thing in the morning then have to run straight to work. I'm getting it sight-unseen but have been told that it works 100% and is in good condition. I've been poking around here looking for some mod ideas and seeing if there's anything in particular I need for it. I know I'll change it to LEDs, but have to play with it a bit first before tearing it apart.

#264 4 years ago

When I got mine as I changed the inserts to leds I cleaned the inserts with alcohol and a Qtip, they were just black.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Loaned my LAH to Mark from pinball bulbs and it came back with a super sexy LED kit.

Does that mean a kit is upcoming?

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

image-306.jpg 260 KB

Sorry, should've added forever ago. Here it is!

http://pinballbulbs.com/products/last-action-hero-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

lastactionhero-pf.jpg

lastactionhero-full.jpg
#267 4 years ago

Does anyone know if decals are available for LAH? I've looked and can't find anyone, but just realized that somehow my machine has a Space Shuttle instead of a Lt Dekker. I kinda like it, but if I can get the stock decals that would be good.

image-63.jpg
#269 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

just realized that somehow my machine has a Space Shuttle instead of a Lt Dekker

That's... hilarious!

pinball decals sells the whole set:
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/LAH_Page.html

#270 4 years ago

Thanks for the link toyotaboy. But I think for the $70 they want for the set, I am just going to keep my little Shuttle. It is red on one side, blue on the other, and the colors match perfectly. I saw it and was wondering what I wasn't remembering from the movie about a shuttle, then after a quick look on IPDB realized it wasn't stock. None of the people who play at my house will ever know the difference.

#271 4 years ago

couple things while I'm in this thread:
1. I found a reasonably good scan of the gold ticket that I'm probably going to clean up. If it turns out decent, I'll post photos
2. While tearing my playfield apart to LED it, I was looking at the inside of the crane. I was pondering popping the blue window out and just leaving it open, then buying one of the danny action figures and mounting him inside (might have to chop him off at the waist to get it to fit)
ebay.com link » Vintage Last Action Hero Danny Action Figure 1993 Cpii

#272 4 years ago

The switch for pop-up in back broke so put a new one in and it still won't work....piss me off.

#273 4 years ago

Does it register in the switch test? Is it missing the diode?

#274 4 years ago

I would love to see/get a good ticket scan. Can't wait to see it!

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

couple things while I'm in this thread:
1. I found a reasonably good scan of the gold ticket that I'm probably going to clean up. If it turns out decent, I'll post photos
2. While tearing my playfield apart to LED it, I was looking at the inside of the crane. I was pondering popping the blue window out and just leaving it open, then buying one of the danny action figures and mounting him inside (might have to chop him off at the waist to get it to fit)
ebay.com link ยป Vintage Last Action Hero Danny Action Figure 1993 Cpii

Toyotaboy, I'd be in for a good quality scan or replacement ticket if you come up with one.

#276 4 years ago

still photoshopping ticket.. I'm converting to B&W because I don't think the gold will translate very well in print (probably going to have to mask the area and paint a layer of gold first and just do a clear waterslide decal).

I finished LED'ing everything however, and fixed my 2 flasher domes that were cracked with some epoxy. Arnold simply doesn't have a good spot to mount anywhere on the playfield without getting in the way of the crane so I put him in front of the lightbar topper. The ripper fits nicely on the right wireform ramp near where the other one joins in, and the matchbox F100 truck fits nicely on the shooter gate
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

#277 4 years ago

I have LEDs everywhere underneath that is easy to reach, and eventually will tear down the top and replace the GI with LEDs and the rubbers with the colored ones I ordered. Right now we're too busy playing it, and I am also waiting to see if I pick up anything cool for it at the expo next weekend just in case. Husband is a former home theater designer/installer, so he figured out how to upgrade the speakers for less than $50, plus hard wired it to the external sub we had for JP since it is out of commission right now. It sounds much better, and the bass through the sub is nice because it is clear at even low volume levels but can also shake the house if turned up.

image-19.jpg

image-768.jpg image-459.jpg
1 week later
#278 4 years ago

Just put this in today. I found a truck on eBay and added some LEDs behind the headlights. It's wired in to the GI, so the headlights turn on and off during the game. I'm pretty happy with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Deepest game of the 90s. I did a longer than normal review on this machine. I have the alt trans too, looks led'd even with inc bulbs.
I have turned many people on to this game that have been to my place, many actively looking for one now. There is just so much to do.
My only complaint is I wish you could turn the automatic third ball MB off. I would like to see that less than every game for sure, and have to only get it by earning it.

It seems like if you set multiball to hard in the menu, you are required to hit the captive balls to activate it....

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Just put this in today. I found a truck on eBay and added some LEDs behind the headlights. It's wired in to the GI, so the headlights turn on and off during the game. I'm pretty happy with it.

image.jpg 218 KB

image.jpg 283 KB

That looks pretty sharp and it just fits too.

#281 4 years ago

Looking for a crane mech for my LAH...if you have a spare or a source please let me know....thx

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks pretty sharp and it just fits too.

Thanks. I got lucky with the size.

1 month later
#283 4 years ago

I just picked up LAH recently, definitely a fun game and unique layout. I have a couple minor issue to work through but its in pretty good shape overall, definitely happy with the purchase.

#284 4 years ago

Count me in the club! I have a problem tho, the allen key on my crane is completely stripped. This makes it impossible to get off. As of right now, its not a problem but once I plan on taking the playfield apart for installation of LEDs it will become a problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Count me in the club! I have a problem tho, the allen key on my crane is completely stripped. This makes it impossible to get off. As of right now, its not a problem but once I plan on taking the playfield apart for installation of LEDs it will become a problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hmmm....drilling it won't help. But there is a drift pin holding the rod that the crane sits on. it's visible from underneath the pf...hit the pin out and remove the crane from the pf, once the crane is free you can get a locking plier and grab the head of the screw from the side and work the screw loose.

1 week later
#286 4 years ago

I would love to become a member of this club. I have been looking for over a year for a nice working one anywhere somewhat close to me to no avail. If anyone is interested in selling or can point me in the direction of a working LAH I would really appreciate it.

Cheers
Taylor

#287 4 years ago

Anyone need the golden ticket decal? they are back in stock at pinball center. If anyone is interested in sharing shipping, let me know by tomorrow morning. Pulling the trigger on an order (shipping is 10 euros which is $13). I would reship from chicago for probably around $1 (plus splitting up the cost of shipping from pinball center depending on how many people need one)
http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/ticket-overlay-for-last-action-hero-p-2168.html?language=english

#288 4 years ago

What size is the Allen wrench for that and the lane diverter. Bigger than 3mm and smaller than 4mm. 3.5mm isn't really a standard size, is it really SAE 1/8 or 9/64?

1 week later
#289 4 years ago

Got an LAH several months ago, but didn't want to join the club until I had it up and running 100%. Went through the whole game in my spare time over the past 6-7 months and finally got it up and running today! I used LEDs for a few choice lights but decided on incandescent for the GI and the inserts (though I already see where many of the inserts could use LEDs)...anyway, when I got the game it had a number of issues including, but not limited to:

--a flickering DMD, which eventually took out the HV section on the power supply board so I had the pleasure of rebuilding it with the aid of my indispensable Hakko 808...replaced DMD after rebuilding HV section
--the playfield was in serious need of a cleaning and re-rubbering, and came out very nicely in my opinion. I took apart every mech and put in new coil sleeves, cleaned everything and re-assembled them all. New drop targets, new orange post sleeves, orange pop bumper skirts, orange Super Bands (though I'm on the fence as to whether to go back to traditional flipper rubber so far). I accidentally ordered a bunch of transparent (instead of white) rubber rings at some point and decided to use them anyway. The ones under the slings get a decent lighting effect--which I'm sure LEDs could intensify. Had to substitute white in areas where I had not ordered correct size transparent rings, but I'll eventually make them all white or get the transparent ones I need. I put a strip of mylar over the pretty heavily worn ticket area in front of the left-most ball trough. The spinner was very sluggish when I got the game. After cleaning it up and giving a tiny bit of super-lube at each 'arm' where it holds the spinner to the mounting holes, it spins really fast! Of course, it doesn't hurt that the newly rebuilt flippers (with kits from Pinball Life) and new cab switches are working beautifully (read:strong!)
--The GI was completely out. Not one GI bulb was lit when I received the game. Looked at connectors, fuses, header pins, etc, etc, and it turned out that *every single GI bulb was out*. I had spent so much time trying to track down what was causing the GI not to work, and it was when I ruled out every other possibility that I could come up with, that I *finally* checked the power to the GI bulb sockets and there it was! 6 volts was at every one, it was just that every single bulb was out!
--The magnets were missing from the game! Even the magnet controller board was gone! Had to get 3 new magnets, 3 magnet playfield mounting brackets (of which are very hard to find since they were only used in LAH and GNR as far as I know)....found out magnet brackets from many Williams games such as Black Knight fit the magnets just fine, so I wound up buying 3 new ones from Marco...then had to get the magnet driver board that mounts under the pf, and got a really nice board from Tony at Great Lakes Modular at Allentown earlier this year...had to get 3 fuse holders and fuses...but when I finally got the game running and tested them they worked just fine!
--This is the one mod I made to the game, and I think it's a huge improvement over the original design: custom drop target decals. I used a 'Stencil D' font for the C-R-A-N-E letters. I used adhesive backed printer paper, nothing too fancy, and then cut mylar squares from a sheet I got from Pinrestore.com (great site, btw) and laid them over the stickers I printed. I'm happy with the results overall. P8172485.JPG
--Ran into some wacky problem after getting it running again, the right side switch for the crane was causing the flippers to go dead after the crane came across the playfield and parked under the vuk outlet. Then the game would kick another ball into play from the auto-plunger, flippers are still dead, and then you'd lose the ball and it would count up the bonus etc. Turned out switch 61 for the right crane switch will cause weird behaviour if it's wired incorrectly. Funny thing was, that switch had obviously been replaced or messed with at some point because there was a really sloppy solder joint holding the white switch matrix wire on the solder terminal. While I had it apart, I cleaned up the sloppy soldering and reassembled it exactly as it had been wired before I took it apart. The white wire was on the wrong side of the diode though! But that's how the game was set up when i got it! So that means the game has probably been exhibiting that strange behaviour for a very long time!
-- the game had it's original batteries on the MPU board!! :O Good old 20-year-old blue and black Panasonic batteries! They didn't show any evidence of leakage though, and it's worked fine since I ironed out the few issues I had with with the boards and connectors. In fact, after I pulled the batteries (the moment I saw they were factory zip-tied to the battery holder), I popped in 3 new ones and inadvertently saved the previous audits on the game, high scores, everything. I'm going to jot them down and post them up here just in case anyone's interested. The game was in Japan for some length of time, and has around 21,000 plays.

I'm sure there's many other things I've done along the way that I can't think of, but that covers what I can remember off the top of my head.

Anyway, it's a good players LAH that plays fast. I'm pretty damn psyched! I will now officially join the LAH club.

Now I can officially join everyone in looking forward to that new LAH ROM someone here on Pinside is working on...

Without further adieu, here's a few pics (I don't have it up on legs yet, need to wait for my buddy to come down this weekend...

P8172476.JPG
P8172484.JPG
P8182509.JPG
P8182511.JPG
P8182505.JPG

#290 4 years ago

Nice...congrats.

#291 4 years ago

welcome to the club frunch. You may also want to get a replacement gold ticket:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-replacement-ticket

I dig the C-R-A-N-E mod you did. I really hate the crappy orange background color DE chose. I was considering creating one with caution strips behind the text:
Stripes-Machine-Hazard-Sign-S-2623[1].gif

#292 4 years ago

WOW!!! That was a heap of work but it sure turned out nice. Anything done to the cab or bb?

#293 4 years ago

Thanks for the compliments!

I haven't really done much with the cab or backbox except giving it a good wipe down. One of the corners where the leg mounts is missing some wood, going to use wood filler and fix it up. It's in decent shape overall, though there are a few other chips off the cab that could probably do for repair. Given that it's a players game I don't really think it's necessary to go overboard. But maybe after fixing the one corner I'll be inspired to keep going with the rest of it. We'll see!

And if anybody wants decals, I'd be happy to print out sets on the adhesive paper I have...you'll just have to supply your own mylar and cut the decals out. PM me if anyone's interested...

#294 4 years ago

For those interested, I copied down the audits from the game-it had never had it's batteries changed in it's lifetime, and it kept it's memory after I swapped the batteries out. Here they are:

Total Paid: 20,924
Free % 17
Ball Time Avg. 1:24
Game Time Avg. 4:51
Total Coins 18,516
Total earn 1,851,600 yen

I don't know anything about the value of yen or how much inflation has taken place over the years, but by today's conversion rate, that would mean this game earned almost $19,000!

#295 4 years ago

That's neat info, but how did it save all that after the batteries were taken out. Some kind of nonvolitile (sp?) memory.

#296 4 years ago

Wow, thats cool. I wish mine still had the audits in it. My mom's Flintstones did, and it made over $43,000 while on route. Too bad mine dont pay for themselves sitting in my basement.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Wow, thats cool. I wish mine still had the audits in it. My mom's Flintstones did, and it made over $43,000 while on route. Too bad mine dont pay for themselves sitting in my basement.

Now THAT'S some serious coin.

#298 4 years ago

And if anybody wants decals, I'd be happy to print out sets on the adhesive paper I have...you'll just have to supply your own mylar and cut the decals out. PM me if anyone's interested...

PM sent

#299 4 years ago

very sweet crane decals! love em.

my friend and i just created a ticket replacement decal. i just applied mine last night and it looks great.

i actually started another thread about this a while ago if you want to check out the details here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-replacement-ticket

either way here are a couple pics!

i should mention that the artwork was completely redone and is much more clear and crisp and red highlights were added like the original art. printed on a metallic gold vinyl with a mylar top coat.

116.jpg
142.jpg
152.jpg

#300 4 years ago

FB_20140819_20_35_52_Saved_Picture.jpg

Finally finished doing my machine, turned out nice I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plainfield, IL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 229.99
There are 2055 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside