Got an LAH several months ago, but didn't want to join the club until I had it up and running 100%. Went through the whole game in my spare time over the past 6-7 months and finally got it up and running today! I used LEDs for a few choice lights but decided on incandescent for the GI and the inserts (though I already see where many of the inserts could use LEDs)...anyway, when I got the game it had a number of issues including, but not limited to:
--a flickering DMD, which eventually took out the HV section on the power supply board so I had the pleasure of rebuilding it with the aid of my indispensable Hakko 808...replaced DMD after rebuilding HV section
--the playfield was in serious need of a cleaning and re-rubbering, and came out very nicely in my opinion. I took apart every mech and put in new coil sleeves, cleaned everything and re-assembled them all. New drop targets, new orange post sleeves, orange pop bumper skirts, orange Super Bands (though I'm on the fence as to whether to go back to traditional flipper rubber so far). I accidentally ordered a bunch of transparent (instead of white) rubber rings at some point and decided to use them anyway. The ones under the slings get a decent lighting effect--which I'm sure LEDs could intensify. Had to substitute white in areas where I had not ordered correct size transparent rings, but I'll eventually make them all white or get the transparent ones I need. I put a strip of mylar over the pretty heavily worn ticket area in front of the left-most ball trough. The spinner was very sluggish when I got the game. After cleaning it up and giving a tiny bit of super-lube at each 'arm' where it holds the spinner to the mounting holes, it spins really fast! Of course, it doesn't hurt that the newly rebuilt flippers (with kits from Pinball Life) and new cab switches are working beautifully (read:strong!)
--The GI was completely out. Not one GI bulb was lit when I received the game. Looked at connectors, fuses, header pins, etc, etc, and it turned out that *every single GI bulb was out*. I had spent so much time trying to track down what was causing the GI not to work, and it was when I ruled out every other possibility that I could come up with, that I *finally* checked the power to the GI bulb sockets and there it was! 6 volts was at every one, it was just that every single bulb was out!
--The magnets were missing from the game! Even the magnet controller board was gone! Had to get 3 new magnets, 3 magnet playfield mounting brackets (of which are very hard to find since they were only used in LAH and GNR as far as I know)....found out magnet brackets from many Williams games such as Black Knight fit the magnets just fine, so I wound up buying 3 new ones from Marco...then had to get the magnet driver board that mounts under the pf, and got a really nice board from Tony at Great Lakes Modular at Allentown earlier this year...had to get 3 fuse holders and fuses...but when I finally got the game running and tested them they worked just fine!
--This is the one mod I made to the game, and I think it's a huge improvement over the original design: custom drop target decals. I used a 'Stencil D' font for the C-R-A-N-E letters. I used adhesive backed printer paper, nothing too fancy, and then cut mylar squares from a sheet I got from Pinrestore.com (great site, btw) and laid them over the stickers I printed. I'm happy with the results overall. P8172485.JPG
--Ran into some wacky problem after getting it running again, the right side switch for the crane was causing the flippers to go dead after the crane came across the playfield and parked under the vuk outlet. Then the game would kick another ball into play from the auto-plunger, flippers are still dead, and then you'd lose the ball and it would count up the bonus etc. Turned out switch 61 for the right crane switch will cause weird behaviour if it's wired incorrectly. Funny thing was, that switch had obviously been replaced or messed with at some point because there was a really sloppy solder joint holding the white switch matrix wire on the solder terminal. While I had it apart, I cleaned up the sloppy soldering and reassembled it exactly as it had been wired before I took it apart. The white wire was on the wrong side of the diode though! But that's how the game was set up when i got it! So that means the game has probably been exhibiting that strange behaviour for a very long time!
-- the game had it's original batteries on the MPU board!! :O Good old 20-year-old blue and black Panasonic batteries! They didn't show any evidence of leakage though, and it's worked fine since I ironed out the few issues I had with with the boards and connectors. In fact, after I pulled the batteries (the moment I saw they were factory zip-tied to the battery holder), I popped in 3 new ones and inadvertently saved the previous audits on the game, high scores, everything. I'm going to jot them down and post them up here just in case anyone's interested. The game was in Japan for some length of time, and has around 21,000 plays.
I'm sure there's many other things I've done along the way that I can't think of, but that covers what I can remember off the top of my head.
Anyway, it's a good players LAH that plays fast. I'm pretty damn psyched! I will now officially join the LAH club.
Now I can officially join everyone in looking forward to that new LAH ROM someone here on Pinside is working on...
Without further adieu, here's a few pics (I don't have it up on legs yet, need to wait for my buddy to come down this weekend...