20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 71.
#2901 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I am sorry for my ignorance, but volume is controlled digitally, no way to adjust unless the machine is on. I don't believe there is a manual pot for it. Please correct me if I am wrong and point me to where I can find it

Power switch box, right side behind coin door.

You can adjust the music volume in setting but not overall volume.

#2902 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Power switch box, right side behind coin door.
You can adjust the music volume in setting but not overall volume.

I'll try this later this week and will report back. Thank you

#2903 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I am sorry for my ignorance, but volume is controlled digitally, no way to adjust unless the machine is on. I don't believe there is a manual pot for it. Please correct me if I am wrong and point me to where I can find it

It is a manual pot, not a digital one. Look for a tall metal rod sticking straight up out of the power switch box just on the inside of the coin door to the right of the coin door. Turn it.

eee345ad910ed2ec40d6004063d6189ec03e3fd9 (resized).jpgeee345ad910ed2ec40d6004063d6189ec03e3fd9 (resized).jpg
#2904 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Been traveling for work, will check when I get back home later this week.

#2905 2 years ago

Thank YOU!!!! So far so good. Tried the pot moving when off....and it seems to have done the trick! Amazing.

#2906 2 years ago

So, can I ask you guys a Pinsound question....

When I got my LAH it had a pinsound board in it but I took it out and stuck it in another game as I actually quite like the cheesiness of the original sounds. Now several years on I'm thinking maybe I should get another board so my question is, is a pinsound a must have for LAH now and what is the best mix to use?

Thanks

#2907 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

When I got my LAH it had a pinsound board in it but I took it out and stuck it in another game as I actually quite like the cheesiness of the original sounds. Now several years on I'm thinking maybe I should get another board so my question is, is a pinsound a must have for LAH now and what is the best mix to use?
Thanks
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"38bbf25c80baddefdf2371293dbb80ffd7f35597-1630705265-1800"};
//]]>

Zhe Cap‘n‘s mix is positively awesome!

#2908 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Thanks

I personally don't think it's necessary.
The gain in sound is not as much as Terminator2 or Jurassic Park and others.

#2909 2 years ago

Thanks for your input guys, 1 for and one against, im still on the fence. I will probably leave it as the original doesn't offend me

#2910 2 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

When I got my LAH it had a pinsound board in it but I took it out and stuck it in another game as I actually quite like the cheesiness of the original sounds. Now several

Thanks for your input guys, 1 for and one against, im still on the fence. I will probably leave it as the original doesn't offend me

I will chime in and say that I installed one in my LAH and after a while I removed it. I liked the different sounds and music but the original to me is still the best. It is what I remember playing years ago and it is still what I prefer. The only thing that seems to bother me about the original sound effects is the "Let's Play Chicken" animations does not match the sound effects from the speaker. It seems reversed.

I have a pinsound+ for sale if anyone is interested...

#2911 2 years ago

Y’all are crazy. I bought a pinsound+ board and speaker set just for the Cap’n mix. Then, because the pinsound-community site is wack, it still won’t let me register an account, I had to download the files from his google drive and repackage it so that I could install it. Failing over and over, until I figured out how the board wanted the files to be. Ugh. Not fun. I still haven’t figured it out 100%, I have a nasty echo effect on the skill shot clip “move the crane as fast as you can.” Sometimes the clip even plays twice.

BUT… it’s a complete game changer. Absolutely love the new soundtrack. Stock board is never going back in.

#2912 2 years ago

Im wondering about the sound as well... i can tolerate it, but what had to get ditched immediately was that translite.

#2913 2 years ago

Some more work on the pin2dmd scenes....

#2914 2 years ago

Latest tour of the colorization. Its come a long way!!

#2915 2 years ago

Wow - that was a lot of work.

1 week later
#2916 2 years ago

Ill be printing off some translites soon. Let me know if you fellas are interested!!

#2917 2 years ago

Has anyone got a clear hi res photo of the emblem on the topper for LAH? Can you share please?

#2918 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Ill be printing off some translites soon. Let me know if you fellas are interested!!

Pic of the translite?

#2919 2 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Pic of the translite?

Certainly!

Pm for more details. Im offering them up to the club for a bit less than what alternate translite options are priced at on ebay and other online pinball retailers. I also include shipping in there as well. A few members picked up my first run and the images in their games are a few pages back.

Screenshot_20210927-100614_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210927-100614_Gallery (resized).jpg
#2920 2 years ago
Quoted from cyberfez:

Has anyone got a clear hi res photo of the emblem on the topper for LAH? Can you share please?

20210927_100936 (resized).jpg20210927_100936 (resized).jpg
#2921 2 years ago

Wondering if the club can help. I don’t have an original manual and the online one isn’t correct. I’m trying to figure out which coil is for each wire going to the mpu. My crane lock isn’t working and magnets are not either. I’ve had to replace a few chips already and making progress but don’t know where these coils go to on the board. If you have a copy of that page and can snap a pic I’d appreciate it. Then I’ll be looking for help with sound once I have the coils working

#2922 2 years ago

Off the top of my head, I know the magnets are triggered from the top right connectors on the CPU ( bunch of orange wires).
Then goes to a driver board under the playfield by the magnets. I would check those transistors and the fuses too

1 week later
#2923 2 years ago

Joined the LAST ACTION HERO club a few weeks ago when I put my Dredd for sale (which I loved, but I had overplayed it) and I'm having a good time so far (ordered the color DMD and a few other mods to come) but the outlanes have been brutal -- not to mention the very SHORT "ball save" time -- I assume there's no way to lengthen it? I checked the menu and couldn't find anything.

But today as another ball went straight down the LEFT SIDE, I looked closer and noticed a hole (see picture below). Then I looked on the other side and noticed that there was a POST where that hole is, so I deduced that there is a post missing in my game? Can someone confirm? Thx!

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegIMG_0754 (resized).jpgIMG_0754 (resized).jpg
#2924 2 years ago

Return that color dmd and go pin2dmd asap. Its 64 colors dot matrix and looks stunning compared to the colordmd counterpart.

Other than that, its a game i enjoy a lot. Nice powdercoating on yours.

As far as those posts, i dont remember them being there from factory.

The ball saver is data east style and ends after 4 switches have had ball contact. There is an upgradr rom that addresses this and improves a number of modes and adds a few new call outs.

Look for last action hero ver 1.13!

#2925 2 years ago

The hole is there on every game, but no post is supposed to be in it. Somewhere in this thread it is mentioned that some other country export models might have a post in it, but it's not supposed to be.
Yes, definitely update the ROM.

#2926 2 years ago

Some highlights from the pin2dmd work that i have been improving from inheriting the project from the original author.

20211012_203508_1_1.gif20211012_203508_1_1.gif20211012_203508_1_2.gif20211012_203508_1_2.gif20211012_203508_1_3.gif20211012_203508_1_3.gif20211012_203508_1_4.gif20211012_203508_1_4.gif20211012_203508_1_5.gif20211012_203508_1_5.gif20211012_203508_1_6.gif20211012_203508_1_6.gif
#2927 2 years ago

how close is it from being complete and all frames colored?

#2928 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

how close is it from being complete and all frames colored?

Its complete. All the frames are painted but ive just gone back to make a few changes and possible improvements.

#2929 2 years ago

News flash.

Pin2dmd is enabling me to use animated gifs as sequences.

So.....

An even more improved version of the pin2dmd colorization with actual movie clips MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING SOON...!!!!

20211014_211213 (resized).jpg20211014_211213 (resized).jpgY3LJt0d.gifY3LJt0d.gif
#2930 2 years ago

News flash.
So.....
An even more improved version of the pin2dmd colorization with actual movie clips MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING SOON

#2931 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

News flash.
So.....
An even more improved version of the pin2dmd colorization with actual movie clips MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING SOON...!!!![quoted image][quoted image]

Wow thats amazing, how do we go about getting our ones updated?

#2932 2 years ago

Ill post more about it once i start getting closer to fixing many of the scenes.

Mad respect to the dot madness duo that captured the movie scenes pretty accurately back when working on LAH in 93.

#2934 2 years ago

that's pretty cool. nice job

#2935 2 years ago

Very nice. Question.. is that the final colorization on that sample or just an example of an exported clip?

#2936 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Very nice. Question.. is that the final colorization on that sample or just an example of an exported clip?

Thats genuinely playing on trigger through the dmd, coded into the colorization file. That opening sequence is going to run full length and ill do other scenes in the game using movie highlights.

These panels can do 64 colors, but the contrast over the scenes take a bit of work to look acceptable and right now im working at making them look good.

Also, the game dmd uses triggers that throw things off and doesnt always play the scenes linearly, but im working those out.

I do have to say i like the pop and visual flair of the pixel art, but seeing the movie clips play on a dmd in the game is pretty awesome.

20211015_180736_1.gif20211015_180736_1.gif
#2937 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Thats genuinely playing on trigger through the dmd, coded into the colorization file. That opening sequence is going to run full length and ill do other scenes in the game using movie highlights.
These panels can do 64 colors, but the contrast over the scenes take a bit of work to look acceptable and right now im working at making them look good.
Also, the game dmd uses triggers that throw things off and doesnt always play the scenes linearly, but im working those out.
I do have to say i like the pop and visual flair of the pixel art, but seeing the movie clips play on a dmd in the game is pretty awesome.[quoted image]

It definitely has novelty. The clips looked washed out like on a bad CRT TV. They just look generally a bit grey and cloudy. If they were sharpened and color-tuned, they would be spectacular. But I have to imagine the level of work on doing that has to be simply too much.

#2938 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

It definitely has novelty. The clips looked washed out like on a bad CRT TV. They just look generally a bit grey and cloudy. If they were sharpened and color-tuned, they would be spectacular. But I have to imagine the level of work on doing that has to be simply too much.

They certainly look better in real life, i wish the software would allow palette tuning - its just better off for static images.
The Pin2dmd editor is a complex beast - one that honestly we don't give it credit for.
it tries to be a simplified paint program
it supports importing of gifs
it allows adjusting of palettes
And after 4-10 tedious steps involved to make an imported image fit a scene it
finally it does the work to queue in the scenes, replaced or drawn, and keys them into the game to be played back in-game.

so, this is probably the LOWEST DEF of this movie export ever, with that said, it does look better in real life on the dmd, but its a far cry from the media we are used to - heck our phone's screen is, 300x the resolution of the dmd. Also, dmds refresh at 60fps, but the way the data east writes to it isn't like wpc and doesn't refresh the same - at least on LAH, i know i have seen 60fps scenes in LW3.

also, the movie scenes are down sampled gifs that are downsampled to 128x32 pixels!!! For reference, 4k is 3840x2160!! even with good color gradients, i would need some good dithering to make it look really good, ala secret of monkey island type of illustration to bring the images to the next level.. but at 128x32, there isn't a lot of resolution to play with here unlike the old vga/ega days where we got at least 640x480, 320x240 types of resolutions...

#2939 2 years ago

Does it look HD? No.

Is it the worlds biggest, heaviest, lowest resolution color movie clip player? Yes.

DOES IT LOOK LIKE HOW YOU REMEMBER IT WHEN YOU RENTED THE VHS FROM BLOCKBUSTER?

HELL YES..

#2940 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Does it look HD? No.
Is it the worlds biggest, heaviest, lowest resolution color movie clip player? Yes.
DOES IT LOOK LIKE HOW YOU REMEMBER IT WHEN YOU RENTED THE VHS FROM BLOCKBUSTER?
HELL YES..

Looks great. Just bought LAH and I have the Pin2dmd as well. Can’t wait to try your colors.

#2941 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Looks great. Just bought LAH and I have the Pin2dmd as well. Can’t wait to try your colors.

A little attract mode teaser.

#2942 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

A little attract mode teaser.

Awesome!!!!

#2943 2 years ago

Very cool!!

#2944 2 years ago

This is awesome! I wanted to update to the color dmd, but after seeing this I need the pin2dmd. Can someone tell me exactly what I would need and how do I get the software to have the movie clips on it? Thanks!

#2945 2 years ago

Pin2dmd is an open source lcd dmd platform. Its actually the same as colordmd but without the royalties and its not an off the shelf ready option.

You can message dino zorbas (dzorbas) and he has prebuilt ones. Then you just need to register it and load my files onto a microsd card.

#2946 2 years ago

Thank you trueno92. Much appreciated!! I will reach out to Dino. Can't wait!

1 week later
#2947 2 years ago

Hey team. I'm super new (to owning my own Pins and LAH). I am currently running v 1.08 ROM. I want to upgrade it to the 1.13 (as by all accounts its far more playable). I am fairly handy, so understand how to change the ROM chip itself....however, I have no way of burning my own ROM. I was going to purchase a 1.13 ROM, but I'm confused as to what I need. From what I have read I need 1.12 first? any advice is always greatly appreciated.

#2948 2 years ago
Quoted from r3con:

Hey team. I'm super new (to owning my own Pins and LAH). I am currently running v 1.08 ROM. I want to upgrade it to the 1.13 (as by all accounts its far more playable). I am fairly handy, so understand how to change the ROM chip itself....however, I have no way of burning my own ROM. I was going to purchase a 1.13 ROM, but I'm confused as to what I need. From what I have read I need 1.12 first? any advice is always greatly appreciated.

You don't need 1.12. It's easy on LAH, you just pull / pry out the chip, and put the new one in. That's all you need to do.

#2949 2 years ago
Quoted from r3con:

I'm actually NOT handy at all and when I saw this video on YouTube (

), I realized that this was way too "techie" for me to pull off, but is it possible to just purchase the 1.13 ROM pin from a website somewhere? Would make my life much easier...

#2950 2 years ago

Contact dave astil he is on here... lemme see

K, i cant find him but he is based out of canada, ships 2x a week and is on ebay as, 'rompingirl'.

Ive gotten my demoman roms, lw3, nascar and lah thru him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.