20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,517 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 71.
#2651 3 years ago

Any of you guys using the custom 1.13 game rom with the Pin2dmd? Any notable issues?

#2652 3 years ago

Wanted to share a cheap improvement for those with speaker hum/noise. Solve = install a dedicated PSU that bypasses the stock amplifier.

Parts:
Mean Well RT-50B Power Supply ($20 from Mouser)
6 pin molex connector "Arcade Video Cable" ($6 on eBay)

You wire the power supply into the service cable, and then use 4 of the 6 connector wires for -12, +12, 5V and ground. My speaker hum was LOUD, and the improvement was drastic. This mod is easily reversible as well since the stock wiring is untouched. Just sharing in case it helps anyone out.

#2653 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Any of you guys using the custom 1.13 game rom with the Pin2dmd? Any notable issues?

I am using the custom 1.13 rom with the Pin2DMD no issues so far.

#2654 3 years ago

Does anyone know the difference in the 1.04 and 1.12 code or where to find them?

#2655 3 years ago

Hi Pinsiders. I just bought LAH as my first SS machine and am really enjoying it (so is my 10 year old son!). Apart from a missing post, a few lamps out and the magnets not working, everything looks complete. However it needs a really good clean and a few adjustments, so Im trying to minimise play; but it's really hard to avoid playing with a new toy!

I have a couple of questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering ...

Apart from the magnets, the game plays fine, but Diagnostics mode reports crane end switch #60 fault. In crane test mode both switches seems to work OK. Can the diagnostics be reset?

Could those who are experienced with this machine give me one or two maintenance items to focus on first? Im thinking in order ...
- Change the batteries (the fitted ones expired in March 2020, so you can imagine how old they are!!!)
- Clean everything and wax the playfield (I plan to take off plastics and metal items to make this easier)
- Change electrolytic capacitors? Any in particular?
- Check connectors/PCBs for dry joints and heat marks

It came with CPU ROM vE1.05 and Display ROM v1.04 (I assume the 'E' is European ROM?). I note the latest Display ROM is v1.06 ... can anyone report the difference between Display ROM v1.04 (fitted) and v1.06?

Out of interest, I have a PROM programmer so I blew and fitted CPU ROM v1.13 using a Winbond W27C512-45 EEPROM. These are plug-in compatible with the original AMD AM27C512-155DC EPROMS and are electrically erasable, so can easily be reprogrammed if necessary. All is well with the new ROM.

Thanks in advance!

#2656 3 years ago
Quoted from BomberHQ:

Hi Pinsiders. I just bought LAH as my first SS machine and am really enjoying it (so is my 10 year old son!). Apart from a missing post, a few lamps out and the magnets not working, everything looks complete. However it needs a really good clean and a few adjustments, so Im trying to minimise play; but it's really hard to avoid playing with a new toy!
I have a couple of questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering ...
Apart from the magnets, the game plays fine, but Diagnostics mode reports crane end switch #60 fault. In crane test mode both switches seems to work OK. Can the diagnostics be reset?
Could those who are experienced with this machine give me one or two maintenance items to focus on first? Im thinking in order ...
- Change the batteries (the fitted ones expired in March 2020, so you can imagine how old they are!!!)
- Clean everything and wax the playfield (I plan to take off plastics and metal items to make this easier)
- Change electrolytic capacitors? Any in particular?
- Check connectors/PCBs for dry joints and heat marks
It came with CPU ROM vE1.05 and Display ROM v1.04 (I assume the 'E' is European ROM?). I note the latest Display ROM is v1.06 ... can anyone report the difference between Display ROM v1.04 (fitted) and v1.06?
Out of interest, I have a PROM programmer so I blew and fitted CPU ROM v1.13 using a Winbond W27C512-45 EEPROM. These are plug-in compatible with the original AMD AM27C512-155DC EPROMS and are electrically erasable, so can easily be reprogrammed if necessary. All is well with the new ROM.
Thanks in advance!

When in crane diagnostics are you checking the switches with the actual crane doing the movement or using your finger to actuate the switches? (use the crane)

I wouldn't change caps unless needed or the games shows signs or symptoms of caps going bad - you could cause more harm than good.

I would check all your fuse clips throughout the game - DE fuse clips are crap

Magnet control board is a iffy thing on this game so not working magnets isn't too weird

#2657 3 years ago

Also, install an NVRAM chip and ditch the batteries altogether.

#2658 3 years ago

long shot question here, so i just got a ceiling installed in my basement and LAH for some reason is my tallest machine so it fits but i cant pitch it, anyone else experienced anything similar and have any ideas? for context before the ceiling to get the pitch correct the levelers in the back were almost fully extended.

#2659 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

long shot question here, so i just got a ceiling installed in my basement and LAH for some reason is my tallest machine so it fits but i cant pitch it, anyone else experienced anything similar and have any ideas? for context before the ceiling to get the pitch correct the levelers in the back were almost fully extended.

A lot of the time with my machines, I will remove the nut on the front leveller from under the leg and add it on top above the mounted leg nut. It does give you a little bit more and then you can lower your rear levellers a bit.

#2660 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

When in crane diagnostics are you checking the switches with the actual crane doing the movement or using your finger to actuate the switches? (use the crane)

Thanks for replying. At the end of a game the crane parks in the lower position, activating switch #60. Is this correct? Moving the crane slightly and releasing the switch clears the message. Ive checked switches manually and in crane test mode and they appear to operate correctly. I guess Im just not sure if the crane is parking correctly ...

#2661 3 years ago

Got my solution lol

D153F4F3-C2DE-405A-AFD4-E49F112994A5 (resized).jpegD153F4F3-C2DE-405A-AFD4-E49F112994A5 (resized).jpeg
#2662 3 years ago

Low basement ceiling club signing in...

Gotta do what ya gotta do. I had to cut out a piece of trim on around my bulkhead to fit my old Space Station in there haha.

#2663 3 years ago

Does anyone have good scans of the stickers on the crane. Looking to strip the crane and powder coat. I am not able to purchase the stickers locally so was hoping to try and print a set.

#2664 3 years ago

Personal Pinball first - installed cliffy
protectors to cover scoop damage. Arnold is starting to look sharp!! Also adjusted the spinner and it RIPS.

63260EAE-BFA3-46B6-91E5-5BBEA631DD2F (resized).jpeg63260EAE-BFA3-46B6-91E5-5BBEA631DD2F (resized).jpegCE878668-4DD1-4758-A14E-B5178B198791 (resized).jpegCE878668-4DD1-4758-A14E-B5178B198791 (resized).jpeg
#2666 3 years ago

I was able to score a replacement main ramp for my game. I would call B-grade condition, with some light cracks. Huge improvement from the ramp currently on my game which is “floating” without a broken center tab. Still playable now, but will be much more secure.

8176C02B-9BF0-4F29-BA04-F9580AE48C29 (resized).jpeg8176C02B-9BF0-4F29-BA04-F9580AE48C29 (resized).jpeg
#2667 3 years ago

Hi everybody,
Can someone tell the reference of this part (and where I can find it...) ?
It's the 2x2 lamps bracket over the scoops...
Thx.

bracket (resized).jpgbracket (resized).jpg
#2668 3 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Hi everybody,
Can someone tell the reference of this part (and where I can find it...) ?
It's the 2x2 lamps bracket over the scoops...
Thx.
[quoted image]

830-5453-P1

or chicken plastic, hard to come by but was making them and selling them on here at one point, scan through this thread you may find it edit: Mr_Tantrum was making them but not sure if he still is

#2669 3 years ago

830-5453-P1
or chicken plastic, hard to come by but was making them and selling them on here at one point, scan through this thread you may find it edit: mr_tantrum was making them but not sure if he still is

Not the plastic !
What I am looking for is the metal bracket that holds the double twin lamps in place (over the scoop)...
Thx again

#2670 3 years ago
Quoted from rapidflipper:

I was able to score a replacement main ramp for my game. I would call B-grade condition, with some light cracks. Huge improvement from the ramp currently on my game which is “floating” without a broken center tab. Still playable now, but will be much more secure.
[quoted image]

Looks familiar

#2671 3 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another Data East opto board batch for 2021.

Details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-data-east-ball-trough-opto-board-

Thanks!

#2672 3 years ago

Hi all. I’m looking to purchase/trade for a LAH if anyone in the Massachusetts area is looking to part with theirs.

#2673 3 years ago

Can I get others to confirm this link leads others to the 1.20 of Cap'n Mix. It LOOKS like the site finally updated the file to the 1.20 version.

https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/249-last-action-hero-v120-capn-mix/

Remember you have to be signed in for the download to be available. Not sure why this upload is still "Pending Approval". I was messaged by someone saying they were unable to find even the 1.00 version on the site.

#2674 3 years ago

This is what I get after logging in and clicking your link:

Sorry, there is a problem
We could not locate the item you are trying to view.
Error code: 2D161/2

And https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/68-last-action-hero/
lists only the Julien mixes.

Sorry!

#2675 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Can I get others to confirm this link leads others to the 1.20 of Cap'n Mix. It LOOKS like the site finally updated the file to the 1.20 version.
https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/249-last-action-hero-v120-capn-mix/
Remember you have to be signed in for the download to be available. Not sure why this upload is still "Pending Approval". I was messaged by someone saying they were unable to find even the 1.00 version on the site.

I get the same results as oradke unfortunately.

#2676 3 years ago

Hi LAH owners,
I have a sound problem which i hope someone will be willing to help.When i boot ,there is no sound entry. Display and game plays but without sound in general. When Ribbon cable CN21 is removed(Has been check having continuity ) i hear I'll be back sound so i believe that the sound board works. I have also recently changed sound Pal's ,display and game eprom .Voltages measured and fine as supposed. Pot turn and gives a small increasing hum that indicates that Pot is working.Any idea?
I checked also Pia at 7B and i have inputs pulsing but output at high Stage. Is this normal?
I do have a logic probe and oscillator.

Any idea will be much appreciated.

#2677 3 years ago

I replaced the main ramp today with a donor part that a gracious pinside member sold me for 50 bucks. While not perfect, it was a huge improvement over my cracked and floating ramp. The install was moderately involved, as I took the opportunity to replace rubbers and bulbs under the area. The biggest reveal was how cobbled and janky my former ramp really was! See photos:

https://imgur.com/a/v7ECIvz

#2678 3 years ago

I replaced the main ramp today with a donor part that a gracious pinside member sold me for 50 bucks. While not perfect, it was a huge improvement over my cracked and floating ramp. The install was moderately involved, as I took the opportunity to replace rubbers and bulbs under the area. The biggest reveal was how cobbled and janky my former ramp really was! See photos:
https://imgur.com/a/v7ECIvz

I never realized the LAH ramp was the same ramp as CFTBL.

#2679 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I never realized the LAH ramp was the same ramp as CFTBL.

I was wondering where those stickers were from! Comparing the two, they are nothing similar. Amazing engineering.

AEBCBC62-AF2D-48D7-908E-AE85701D5064 (resized).pngAEBCBC62-AF2D-48D7-908E-AE85701D5064 (resized).png
#2680 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Hi LAH owners,
I have a sound problem which i hope someone will be willing to help.When i boot ,there is no sound entry. Display and game plays but without sound in general. When Ribbon cable CN21 is removed(Has been check having continuity ) i hear I'll be back sound so i believe that the sound board works. I have also recently changed sound Pal's ,display and game eprom .Voltages measured and fine as supposed. Pot turn and gives a small increasing hum that indicates that Pot is working.Any idea?
I checked also Pia at 7B and i have inputs pulsing but output at high Stage. Is this normal?
I do have a logic probe and oscillator.
Any idea will be much appreciated.

Trying to figure out if Mpu doesn't trigger sounds from Sound Board and after inserting & taking out the ribbon cable at CN21 i heard game sound when trying to connent male connector with ribbon (Only when it is disconnected ).And sound played on a loop . So what i believe is that somehow i connected some pins from CN21 and triggered the sound board to produce background sound. When i connect the ribbon cable all in this stops.
Maybe a 6821 Sound Pia causes this problem? the weird thing is that i have tested them with a Leon's Test Eprom in MPU and all outputs seemed OK!
I have been searching all over for anything related to this but nothing. ?????

#2681 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Trying to figure out if Mpu doesn't trigger sounds from Sound Board and after inserting & taking out the ribbon cable at CN21 i heard game sound when trying to connent male connector with ribbon (Only when it is disconnected ).And sound played on a loop . So what i believe is that somehow i connected some pins from CN21 and triggered the sound board to produce background sound. When i connect the ribbon cable all in this stops.
Maybe a 6821 Sound Pia causes this problem? the weird thing is that i have tested them with a Leon's Test Eprom in MPU and all outputs seemed OK!
I have been searching all over for anything related to this but nothing. ?????

Sure you have the ribbon cable plugged in right on both ends? Red stripe on the ribbon cable must match up with the pin 1 label on the sound board and at the CPU board. Try flipping the cable on one end.

#2682 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sure you have the ribbon cable plugged in right on both ends? Red stripe on the ribbon cable must match up with the pin 1 label on the sound board and at the CPU board. Try flipping the cable on one end.

The ribbon cable was reversed after fixing my previous Open the Door Problem with no display and sound activity. I checked it and now it is as should be butagain with no sound.
I have narrowed my search in U7 Sound PIA .In one of the Network Resistance 4K7 Ohm, one of the leg measures out of specs. It goes to pin 39 that with Leon Test on board should go high and low.It is stucked low at about 1 Volt
Do you believe this may be the problem?
I have already ordered PIA that it will take for ever to arrive in Greece. Let's hope.

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg
#2683 3 years ago

Does anyone has a topper for last action hero ? Thank you

#2684 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

The ribbon cable was reversed after fixing my previous Open the Door Problem with no display and sound activity. I checked it and now it is as should be butagain with no sound.
I have narrowed my search in U7 Sound PIA .In one of the Network Resistance 4K7 Ohm, one of the leg measures out of specs. It goes to pin 39 that with Leon Test on board should go high and low.It is stucked low at about 1 Volt
Do you believe this may be the problem?
I have already ordered PIA that it will take for ever to arrive in Greece. Let's hope.
[quoted image]

It sounds like it could be the PIA or the RA19. I hadn't had an issue with sound on a CPU board before. Hmm...what PIA did you order? There are many fake 6821 out there that may work for a while but then crap out, if not DOA.

The Western Digital W65C21N6TPG-14 is a new replacement part for the obsolete 6821. Maybe you can find them on your side of the world if the PIA you receive has issues.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Western-Design-Center-WDC/W65C21N6TPG-14?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduifD1gf44hwy5ejokbLHUq8bOouCmEsViCPIGu8FqTGdA%3D%3D

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W65C21N6TPG-14

#2685 3 years ago
Quoted from Santis:

Does anyone has a topper for last action hero ? Thank you

If you are looking for the original topper, currently no one makes any reproductions as far as I can find. I believe it is unobtanium unfortunately. But you can get this one I guess.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/last-action-hero/4430/topper-for-last-action-hero

#2686 3 years ago

Okay the Pinsound Community page is crap in my opinion. So I'm making this available via my Google Drive. Get it while it's hot! I'm sorry it took so long. The next game I plan to improve is The Getaway...
=================================
The Cap'n Mix v1.20

Changes: Subtle decibel adjustments and post multiball track changed to something not as repetitive

COPY the 3 items (audio, tmp, config.ini) from the google drive and paste them to the root directory of your USB drive and you should be ready to rock!

Enjoy and thanks for all the feedback!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fko1NWaSHFbRLRgsUNgvJq0JAg7rVWmQ?usp=sharing

Added over 3 years ago:

The actual version is "1.25"

#2687 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Okay the Pinsound Community page is crap in my opinion. So I'm making this available via my Google Drive. Get it while it's hot! I'm sorry it took so long. The next game I plan to improve is The Getaway...
The Cap'n Mix v1.20
Changes: Subtle decibel adjustments and post multiball track changed to something not as repetitive
COPY the 3 items (audio, tmp, config.ini) from the google drive and paste them to the root directory of your USB drive and you should be ready to rock!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fko1NWaSHFbRLRgsUNgvJq0JAg7rVWmQ?usp=sharing

Yessssss can’t wait to try it out, thanks for all you do

#2688 3 years ago

I was in a crafty mood, so decided to add some flair to my LAH with dynamite. Pretty simple project - cut dowels, glue paper exteriors, hot glue into 7-piece bundle. Glued a piece of white wire for the wick, then used plastic to mount over the scoop. Plenty of room for the crane to move over top, and adds some visual interest.

0FF8323C-56F3-4636-86A0-CF5DF1B89F9A (resized).jpeg0FF8323C-56F3-4636-86A0-CF5DF1B89F9A (resized).jpeg1867EB7A-A99D-4F9B-ABA1-EE0C55E30B33 (resized).jpeg1867EB7A-A99D-4F9B-ABA1-EE0C55E30B33 (resized).jpeg259C4869-4833-4B77-A0D2-814FA7F285F8 (resized).jpeg259C4869-4833-4B77-A0D2-814FA7F285F8 (resized).jpeg
#2689 3 years ago

Niiiice!

#2690 3 years ago

Nice looking you should be thinking in selling as mod.

#2691 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

A Capn Mix for The Getaway.....Fantastic! Thanks for all of your time and effort.

#2692 3 years ago

I think its cool they used a MegaDeth riff in the game as well as AC/DC!

#2693 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It sounds like it could be the PIA or the RA19. I hadn't had an issue with sound on a CPU board before. Hmm...what PIA did you order? There are many fake 6821 out there that may work for a while but then crap out, if not DOA.
The Western Digital W65C21N6TPG-14 is a new replacement part for the obsolete 6821. Maybe you can find them on your side of the world if the PIA you receive has issues.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Western-Design-Center-WDC/W65C21N6TPG-14?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduifD1gf44hwy5ejokbLHUq8bOouCmEsViCPIGu8FqTGdA%3D%3D
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W65C21N6TPG-14

Thank you PinballManiac40 for your suggestions. I Changed Pia at 7B with an 6821 from My Eight ball Deluxe Sound Board and the sound problem is finally over. New balls on Game , a new playfield Protector ,New Leds installed and the game is now amazing.
rapidflipper dynamite is also great looking mod that will be the next to do. Thank you all for any support given.

#2694 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

The Cap'n Mix v1.20

Went to install this today is this the same as the 1.20 from earlier this year? I already have that if so

#2695 3 years ago

I have a question about how this game should shoot. I noticed that I’m able to immediately trap up every ball coming down the ramp/wireforms. Game is set at 6 degrees with rear levelers maxed out. Flippers aligned pointing directly at playfield “indicator holes”. Any feedback on if your game plays similarly, or setup more challenging?

#2696 3 years ago

Went to install this today is this the same as the 1.20 from earlier this year? I already have that if so

Yea, I think I may have waited so long on getting this out that I don't have the version correct. lol. It it what I'm currently running on mine. This should be 1.25! I'll update it!

#2697 3 years ago

I have a question about how this game should shoot. I noticed that I’m able to immediately trap up every ball coming down the ramp/wireforms. Game is set at 6 degrees with rear levelers maxed out. Flippers aligned pointing directly at playfield “indicator holes”. Any feedback on if your game plays similarly, or setup more challenging?

Mine is set the same. Play is fine.

#2698 3 years ago

I have a question with what you mean by trapping up. Does that mean you can raise the flipper before the ball comes down the inlane and stop from bouncing over to the other flipper?

#2699 3 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have a question with what you mean by trapping up. Does that mean you can raise the flipper before the ball comes down the inlane and stop from bouncing over to the other flipper?

Yes, I can stop the ball on the flipper rather than it bouncing over. Most games don't allow this as it gives so much control. Was just curious if other's game played similarly.

#2700 3 years ago

Yes, I can stop the ball on the flipper rather than it bouncing over. Most games don't allow this as it gives so much control. Was just curious if other's game played similarly.

My flippers will not trap a ball when rolling down the inlane. If I try, the ball will roll off the flipper and go down the middle every time. However, I can easily tap pass it to the other flipper, or flip the ball up to keep it on the same side. I believe my table is set a little higher at 6.5 degrees.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,517 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/54?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.