20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 71.
#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Also while I’m at it mine seems to wobble a bit when moving, again due to the shaker motor. Not sure if this is normal.
thecapn your mix finally put me over the edge and I ordered a pinsound card today.

Good decision! Well worth it.

#2502 3 years ago

OK, I can't seem to find this on Marco or Pinball Life so far, anyone else have to buy one of these yet or know the part number?

The poor thing just sheared right in half!

This is the post between the Chicken scoop and the Ripper.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: Haha, nevermind, guess the part was replaced...found it here unless anyone has a link for an exact match?
https://www.pinballlife.com/2-12-tall-metal-post-with-10-threaded-base-and-6-threaded-top.html

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2503 3 years ago
IMG_20200704_135049 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_135049 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_135335 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_135335 (resized).jpg
#2504 3 years ago

I am aware that a Death Save is frowned upon and considered illegal in tournaments. But did you know that LAH gives you a 3 Mill Bonus (and a nice anim) for a successful one?

#2505 3 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I am aware that a Death Save is frowned upon and considered illegal in tournaments. But did you know that LAH gives you a 3 Mill Bonus (and a nice anim) for a successful one?

The animation is pretty cool.

#2506 3 years ago
IMG_20200706_090914 (resized).jpgIMG_20200706_090914 (resized).jpg
#2507 3 years ago

Any advice for the crane. I feel like every month I have to adjust it so it doesn’t move away from the switch from the shaker motor.

bump

#2508 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

sounds like you just need to adjust the leaf switch. Might be barely touching the contacts and the vibrations from the shaker motor and coils are causing it to vibrate and register again and again.

After some rigorous play testing, you were right: a simple adjustment of the leaf switch fixed it. Here I was, thinking it was a short and was dreading tracing the whole path of the switch. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also while I’m at it mine seems to wobble a bit when moving, again due to the shaker motor. Not sure if this is normal.
thecapn your mix finally put me over the edge and I ordered a pinsound card today.

Call me crazy, but I usually leave the shaker motor off unless I'm having company for this reason: there's so much shaker action in this game, it starts to shake itself apart after awhile.

Quoted from oradke:

Yes, it's pretty cool! It's on TFTC, as well, and probably other DE games.

#2509 3 years ago

I would check the screw inside the side of the crane body where it locks the crane to the axle.

May be loose!

#2510 3 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

I would check the screw inside the side of the crane body where it locks the crane to the axle.
May be loose!

That and mine had a set screw at the bottom where the shaft meets the gear box. Although I’m not positive that was there from factory. The owner(s) of the game before more mauled that whole crane set up

#2511 3 years ago

Hi to all LAH owners.
I have been trying to make my pinball working for the last 4 years!!!
At the beginning i had an Open the door problem.
A Member prompt me to put an nvram which i did.
This didn't solved the issue and the game started acting weirdly.
Sometimes i had blanking led sometimes no. I ended having only Pia & +5V.
I have checked Voltages and are OK.
I recently got a logic probe and a eprom programmer.
I burnt a leon's test eprom and it worked fine with everything working as should be,
I burnt a new 25712 eprom for CPu with 5.12 version and Blanking appeared again...Great news. Until putting the board on the game.
Now i get Vertical lines on the matrix display (4 lines 3 cm each which dissapear slowly from left to right )
No display is shown like version of game etc.
Is this related to the display eprom (Ic 27c040 )that i haven't updated?
As mentioned ,this has taken lot's of effort and time.It will be great if someone can guide me through the restoration of this great pinball.
My wife has already started asking to take it away from the living room!
Thank you all in advance!

#2512 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Hi to all LAH owners.
I burnt a leon's test eprom and it worked fine with everything working as should be,
I burnt a new 25712 eprom for CPu with 5.12 version and Blanking appeared again...Great news. Until putting the board on the game.
Now i get Vertical lines on the matrix display (4 lines 3 cm each which dissapear slowly from left to right )
As mentioned ,this has taken lot's of effort and time.It will be great if someone can guide me through the restoration of this great pinball.

Lot going on here: I’d personally start by going meter crazy run your meter from a few of the problem areas to there corresponding connection beneath the pf if all that is good then run the same connection back to the boards.

From personal experience if your connections are all good I’d start with the ppb board pull that out and start testing the flow and the transistors/resistors. If the becomes the source of issue and you’re not comfortable with solder (as I was not when I got my machine) you can always send the board off for repair or replace it with a rottendog.

It’s all very overwhelming at first. Read the manual understand the flow. Become best friends with your meter. Search this topic for people with similar issues and lastly use pinwiki when you get stuck in the weeds. I had zero knowledge when I picked mine up and with time and patience you’ll get there just be prepared and go slow.

#2513 3 years ago

I restored a LAH last year and realised that I never posted the link here. I came across a few interesting problems specific to LAH which may help some of you guys. You can read the post here: https://www.afpinball.com/restorations/last-action-hero

#2514 3 years ago

2 quick questions if you don't mind. I'm still new to working on and repairing my pinball machines so any help would be appreciated. ..

- people have mentioned being able to adjust the height of the CRANE drop targets. How exactly do you do that? Once in a while the ball will get stuck on a lowered target.

- my right flipper suddenly became very weak and sluggish. That is when it works. I would say that a little over half the time it does not work. I checked the contacts, fuses, and wires (none loose) but these all check out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2515 3 years ago
Quoted from Krh13:

2 quick questions if you don't mind. I'm still new to working on and repairing my pinball machines so any help would be appreciated. ..
- people have mentioned being able to adjust the height of the CRANE drop targets. How exactly do you do that? Once in a while the ball will get stuck on a lowered target.

There is an adjustment screw on the droptarget bank. Its the bottom left silver screw in the pic. It adjusts the bottom piece, which in turn adjusta how low the targets drop. Not my pic, from the website.

http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2016/03/27/last-action-hero-repair-service-log-5/

SmartSelect_20200714-222250_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20200714-222250_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2516 3 years ago
Quoted from Krh13:

- my right flipper suddenly became very weak and sluggish. That is when it works. I would say that a little over half the time it does not work. I checked the contacts, fuses, and wires (none loose) but these all check out.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Had the same problem. Check the coil stop! In my case, the round cylinder had come loose. Just replace the coil stop (consider putting in a new sleeve while you‘re at it) and that should fix it.

#2517 3 years ago

Lot going on here: I’d personally start by going meter crazy run your meter from a few of the problem areas to there corresponding connection beneath the pf if all that is good then run the same connection back to the boards.
From personal experience if your connections are all good I’d start with the ppb board pull that out and start testing the flow and the transistors/resistors. If the becomes the source of issue and you’re not comfortable with solder (as I was not when I got my machine) you can always send the board off for repair or replace it with a rottendog.
It’s all very overwhelming at first. Read the manual understand the flow. Become best friends with your meter. Search this topic for people with similar issues and lastly use pinwiki when you get stuck in the weeds. I had zero knowledge when I picked mine up and with time and patience you’ll get there just be prepared and go slow.

Thank you dimthedaylights & arolden ,
I have been working really slowly on this and i have learned a lot.
It is dissapointeed thought to fix something and found another wall -problem.
The issue with the display is totally new. Before i had an open the door message with no horizontal lines.
Can this be solved by burning a new display rom?
This is not so easy in Greece ,therefore any suggestion on any direction is really welcomed.

#2518 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Hi to all LAH owners.

I would check you ribbon cables before getting to deep. Re seat them

#2519 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

There is an adjustment screw on the droptarget bank. Its the bottom left silver screw in the pic. It adjusts the bottom piece, which in turn adjusta how low the targets drop. Not my pic, from the website.
http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2016/03/27/last-action-hero-repair-service-log-5/
[quoted image]

Quoted from oradke:

Had the same problem. Check the coil stop! In my case, the round cylinder had come loose. Just replace the coil stop (consider putting in a new sleeve while you‘re at it) and that should fix it.

Thank you both for your help!

#2520 3 years ago

What was it?

#2521 3 years ago

I ordered new sleeves and stops so hopefully that is it. I had a friend suggest the same thing.

#2522 3 years ago

OK. Switch both sides out when you're at it.

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I would check you ribbon cables before getting to deep. Re seat them

Cables checked.
I found a blown fuse F2 8 A sl-Bl broken and after short search i found the rectifier bad. I changed both .
the Display problem solved . But i have another issue.
After the Data East display i have an open the Door message. It makes sense as i changed the battery with an Nvram and i haven't adjust the game. Or not?
If i close the door the game does nothing . The switch is tested ok.
Also,at start ,the pinball triggers all solenoids in a sequence and stops. Lights are open .
There is no sound and i cannot start a game.
Trying to get into Diagnostics i can only see only every 2 adjustments (00, 02 etc )with no ability to change them pressing the start button.
I am sure that the solution maybe something easy (I hope ) but i have no idea what.

#2524 3 years ago
Quoted from BenMielke:

Picked this game up this weekend. Am I missing a left outline post?
[quoted image]

That is an option. Operators need to make money.
So, if you want long ball time..... add the post.
If you want the game to be challenging, leave the post out.

#2525 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Cables checked.
I found a blown fuse F2 8 A sl-Bl broken and after short search i found the rectifier bad. I changed both .
the Display problem solved . But i have another issue.
After the Data East display i have an open the Door message. It makes sense as i changed the battery with an Nvram and i haven't adjust the game. Or not?
If i close the door the game does nothing . The switch is tested ok.
Also,at start ,the pinball triggers all solenoids in a sequence and stops. Lights are open .
There is no sound and i cannot start a game.
Trying to get into Diagnostics i can only see only every 2 adjustments (00, 02 etc )with no ability to change them pressing the start button.
I am sure that the solution maybe something easy (I hope ) but i have no idea what.

All the coils firing at the startup is indicating a missing ball...its looking for the missing ball.

Check the switches in the ball trough, 6 of em to check.
Also, make sure you have 6 balls installed in the trough!

Hope that helps.

#2526 3 years ago

All the coils firing at the startup is indicating a missing ball...its looking for the missing ball.
Check the switches in the ball trough, 6 of em to check.
Also, make sure you have 6 balls installed in the trough!
Hope that helps.

It really helped.I am almost at the point of playing. The game plays but i have no sound nor Display.
It starts with the Data east display and then nothing. The game seems that plays fine without them.
I should say that i upgrated the CPU rom to A1.12 without touching the display or sound roms.
Do you believe it is related to this?

#2527 3 years ago

Hey all looking for the easiest solution to light the scoops. What have others done and what’s the best/easiest option. I see comet has some ways to do it but it’s all very confusing for me lol.

#2528 3 years ago

I use the comet flex bulbs. I installed an extra socket for each scoop and was able to get the SMD to fit into the brackets (with some effort) and tied the flex bulb into the bulb above each scoop that lights up during "Find Benedict" mode. The effect can be seen in my LAH restoration finale.

#2529 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I use the comet flex bulbs. I installed an extra socket for each scoop and was able to get the SMD to fit into the brackets (with some effort) and tied the flex bulb into the bulb above each scoop that lights up during "Find Benedict" mode. The effect can be seen in my LAH restoration finale.

That's a good idea! It'd be cool for the left scoop to tie it into the logic for lit dynamite also.

I'm always looking to add to the light show...been toying with the idea of cutting into the apron to add a couple spotlights like the new Stern TMNT game as well.

#2530 3 years ago

Does anyone have a scanned image of the crane labels for the Last Action Hero. I would like to respray the crane and apply new decals, thought I would check to see if anyone has a image file of these before I place an order for some pre-printed ones.

#2531 3 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-6101-60

nope, but by all means when you get yours please get some good scans for the rest of us!

#2532 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

It really helped.I am almost at the point of playing. The game plays but i have no sound nor Display.
It starts with the Data east display and then nothing. The game seems that plays fine without them.
I should say that i upgrated the CPU rom to A1.12 without touching the display or sound roms.
Do you believe it is related to this?

I am facing a wall .
As i have posted earlier when i power the game i have a display version message with the version but then nothing on display.
I can feed credits and play but without sound and display.
I have checked voltages in Sound board and are fine.
Display is also fine as i have the initial display msg.

I cannot also enter into audit mode.
The door switch , Green and black switch are tested also ok.
Even if i keep up or down the green button, when i press the Black button i enter in Diagnostic.
There , i can move only every 2 steps and i cannot really change the settings (Only a few of them ). For instance , audit sound stays into No ,but i can change gave level to Easy or Moderate.
I have changed the 6264 ic with an anypin Nvram as i have removed the Battery
Also something weird is that a "Command 80 " flashes randomly on display.

I will appreciate if someone has an idea of what to search for.

#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

I am facing a wall .
As i have posted earlier when i power the game i have a display version message with the version but then nothing on display.
I can feed credits and play but without sound and display.
I have checked voltages in Sound board and are fine.
Display is also fine as i have the initial display msg.
I cannot also enter into audit mode.
The door switch , Green and black switch are tested also ok.
Even if i keep up or down the green button, when i press the Black button i enter in Diagnostic.
There , i can move only every 2 steps and i cannot really change the settings (Only a few of them ). For instance , audit sound stays into No ,but i can change gave level to Easy or Moderate.
I have changed the 6264 ic with an anypin Nvram as i have removed the Battery
Also something weird is that a "Command 80 " flashes randomly on display.
I will appreciate if someone has an idea of what to search for.

Does anyone has any idea to start searching for?
It will more than helpful as i am totally out of thinking anything else.....

#2534 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Is the NVRAM definitely in the correct way? Have you tried reseating the game ROM?

#2535 3 years ago

hey all i have a dumb question so i decided to rebuild my flippers as they are in rough shape so ordered all the parts but did this based on what was installed and did not check the manual, so heres my situation ive got a 090-5020-30 coil and a 090-5030-00 coil coming, i really just need 2 090-5020-30's right? at least thats what the manual says. the 5030 was probably put in wrong by the last owner?

#2536 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Are the dmd and sound Roms the same version as your game rom?

Also have you tried reseating and cleaning the contacts. Make sure there are no bent legs. It’s easy to do.

#2537 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Are the dmd and sound Roms the same version as your game rom?
Also have you tried reseating and cleaning the contacts. Make sure there are no bent legs. It’s easy to do.

The Nvram is in the correct order and the game rom is also fine. Recently i burnt a new 27512 CPU ram with the latest version a1.12.
I haven't updated the Display and Sound Roms. Do you believe that they don't communicate properly with each other?
I will order tomorrow the 4 Eproms to check this also.

#2538 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

The Nvram is in the correct order and the game rom is also fine. Recently i burnt a new 27512 CPU ram with the latest version a1.12.
I haven't updated the Display and Sound Roms. Do you believe that they don't communicate properly with each other?
I will order tomorrow the 4 Eproms to check this also.

Yes, I believe that will likely be your issue...someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to have all the roms on the same version.

#2539 3 years ago

Yes, I believe that will likely be your issue...someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to have all the roms on the same version.

It may be the problem . I will check it the soonest i receive the roms.
My main concern is that i have no audit /adjastments. I can only get into diagnostic which doesn't also works as it should.
The soonest i have the results i will make a post.
Have a nice weekend.

#2540 3 years ago

You might also want to double check and verify that the game rom you made is ok.

#2541 3 years ago

You might also want to double check and verify that the game rom you made is ok.</blockquo

I do have +5 &Blanking Led lights when i power up the game as i must have . I burnt in a 27512 Eprom the latest program -Ver A1.12.
I cannot verify in any other way the game rom except for burning a new eprom. Or there is another easy way?

#2542 3 years ago

Anyone with a partial/full set of plastics for Last Action Hero? Broken is fine!

#2543 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone with a partial/full set of plastics for Last Action Hero? Broken is fine!

If you go back to post 2503 you will see 2 pics of what I had. The ones in post 2506 were sold, but the rest remain. Most are used, but some are the remains of a repo kit that I didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing. Let me know if any of them are what you need.

#2544 3 years ago

Before spots and after, much better.

20200727_180400 (resized).jpg20200727_180400 (resized).jpg20200727_182404 (resized).jpg20200727_182404 (resized).jpg
#2545 3 years ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

If you go back to post 2503 you will see 2 pics of what I had. The ones in post 2506 were sold, but the rest remain. Most are used, but some are the remains of a repo kit that I didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing. Let me know if any of them are what you need.

Could use these pieces. I'm going to try and mock up the junk playfield with plastics, fake poppers and make a fake crane and then light it with a string of white Christmas lights from Amazon.

If anyone has a scan of the plastics drop me a note. They don't have to be perfect as it is an art project.

23452b3f41e9fcc8a3309c500d4a783c0ecb659b (resized).jpg23452b3f41e9fcc8a3309c500d4a783c0ecb659b (resized).jpg
Resized_20200726_090428 (resized).jpegResized_20200726_090428 (resized).jpeg

#2546 3 years ago

I'll take one complete pic with everything that's left. Pretty sure the small ones all sold and of the ones above, I only have the 3 large ones left.

#2547 3 years ago

Here is what remains. First pic is what remains of my used pieced. Second pic is what remains of the repo plastics.

IMG_20200728_105430 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_105430 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_105835 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_105835 (resized).jpg
#2548 3 years ago

Tonight's work, popper tops just placeholders.

20200728_195142 (resized).jpg20200728_195142 (resized).jpg
#2549 3 years ago

Still looking for a blue tar pit ramp if anyone has one to sell.

#2550 3 years ago
Quoted from Juicerc51:

Still looking for a blue tar pit ramp if anyone has one to sell.

Good luck. Still hoping someone will reproduce these. Ultra rare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.