20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 71.
#2051 4 years ago

There are two blocking diodes to the right of the battery holder. Can't remember the exact number of hand. If either one of those are bad it would give you that message

#2052 4 years ago

Check out the new SDTM Cary Hardy episode on chasing down switch matrix dragons in LAH!

#2053 4 years ago

What happened to Cary’s Swords of Fury part 2?

#2054 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

What happened to Cary’s Swords of Fury part 2?

It’s coming

#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

It’s coming

#2056 4 years ago

Hello guys, strange behaviour on my LAH which I only noticed yesterday.
If one of the flippers is in tension (example when you hold a ball during multiball) the other one can't flip, it's like it doesn't works!
They can be flipped one at a time or both together though.. anyone knows why? is this some kind of software mode to prevent ball holding?

#2057 4 years ago

That is strange behavior indeed. I would first start by looking at your actual flipper assemblies and very the connections are correct and solid. Most of the time people completely bypass the EOS on DE games in this era. (I do) Mainly because when I do utilize the EOS's I have very bad flipper behavior. I would then look at your flipper board in the cabinet to make sure your flipper board is intact and that your fuse clips are good.

#2058 4 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Hello Everyone
Quick question hope someone can answer.
My uncles Last Action Hero has been having some problems.
Currently when you turn it on the DMD promps you to "open door" when the door is closed or open.
And it does not play.
Any idea what that could mean?

Just go with the NVRAM since it is plug and play for DE games.
https://pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#2059 4 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

anyone knows why?

Maybe the Left EOS switch is wired to the right flipper and vice versa.

#2060 4 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

how do you change the smart missile light in the gun. I can undo the screw on plastic nut but it seems the switch holder is in the way. It doesn't want to pull or twist out. Tips?

Does anyone know how to do this? There have been a few posts asking about it but no answers to either. The button activation switch comes out of the middle fairly easily, but I can't figure out how to get the rest of the switch apart.

Thanks!

#2061 4 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

I did this by accident and had the same behavior.

#2062 4 years ago
Quoted from Albany_Chris:

Does anyone know how to do this? There have been a few posts asking about it but no answers to either. The button activation switch comes out of the middle fairly easily, but I can't figure out how to get the rest of the switch apart.
Thanks!

I've done this, but it was about a year ago. I'll lift the playfield later and see if it refreshes my memory.

#2063 4 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions! Tomorrow I will try swapping the eos switches and report back!

#2064 4 years ago

Smart Missile.....get a good grip, wiggle while pulling straight out. Install, push straight in you'll hear a click. Have nut off ofcourse. It's in there pretty good .(correction, leave nut on. Just tried now to be sure.)

20190428_020053 (resized).jpg20190428_020053 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2065 4 years ago

Just got in the club!
I have a friend who owns a moving business. Outta the blue. He texts me about a pinball machine that a client can’t bring to his new house...
I’m shopping it out now and loving the game play

458DB2D9-EB84-4CD3-91D1-64142955686B (resized).jpeg458DB2D9-EB84-4CD3-91D1-64142955686B (resized).jpegAB4D79E4-66FE-4A54-B05C-3F47B9EE61E8 (resized).pngAB4D79E4-66FE-4A54-B05C-3F47B9EE61E8 (resized).pngE53FFDF1-2528-4868-8694-69D250627669 (resized).jpegE53FFDF1-2528-4868-8694-69D250627669 (resized).jpeg885A3DF6-4BDB-4FD2-8663-B8592BACB7CD (resized).jpeg885A3DF6-4BDB-4FD2-8663-B8592BACB7CD (resized).jpeg
#2066 4 years ago

what a steal!

#2067 4 years ago

Does anybody have a machine that plays these songs?

F0609D6C-DC36-4065-BD1E-77F0635FB61E (resized).jpegF0609D6C-DC36-4065-BD1E-77F0635FB61E (resized).jpeg
#2068 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

[quoted image]

Yeah I'm pretty sure all machines do, its the midi version though so not super recognisable.

#2069 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Just go with the NVRAM since it is plug and play for DE games.
https://pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Hello

I put the NVRAM in and it still says "open the door" flashing when you turn it on. Any other ideas ?

#2070 4 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Hello
I put the NVRAM in and it still says "open the door" flashing when you turn it on. Any other ideas ?

Yes. You have to go all the way thru the adjustment menu until the game resets in order for it to save any settings and to clear that message.

#2071 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Mine does. Except I have a pinsound card in mine.

#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinz:

Yeah I'm pretty sure all machines do, its the midi version though so not super recognisable.

Oh my God...
I can’t believe I couldn’t pick that up, as they turned it into elevator music. Still pretty cool. Loving this game.
Wow...It was a bear to shop out

45526C5E-21CA-4029-8EF6-B7B5FAF8D97C (resized).jpeg45526C5E-21CA-4029-8EF6-B7B5FAF8D97C (resized).jpeg
#2073 4 years ago

What looks better?

E9B7A10A-00E8-4651-902F-961969A42213 (resized).jpegE9B7A10A-00E8-4651-902F-961969A42213 (resized).jpeg
#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

What looks better?
[quoted image]

I like the color on the bottom one

#2075 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

What looks better?
[quoted image]

Where did you get those? I'd like a set.

#2076 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

What looks better?
[quoted image]

I’ve got the gold ones...l matches the pin best I think

#2077 4 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

I like the color on the bottom one

The colors are more matching. My family said the same and we voted the bottom color scheme, but the gold cards are right under the blue cards if I change me mind.

#2078 4 years ago

I have the gold cards. I would put the color LAH on the left and the gold ticket on the right.

#2079 4 years ago
47B9088D-D3BA-43F3-A8D4-5D2EF3CFAAB3 (resized).jpeg47B9088D-D3BA-43F3-A8D4-5D2EF3CFAAB3 (resized).jpeg
#2080 4 years ago

Wow, never thought the LAH translite could be made any worse...

#2081 4 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

I confirm! Problem solved by swapping the 2 eos!

Sadly I'm having another issue now,
maybe you all can help. Game was working pretty well but I wanted to adjust the pob bumpers switches to make them more sensitive (they worked only when hardly hitted). I played a game after these adjustment and after a while the left bumper got stuck on with the related transistor burned. I had the same issue on another LAH which I sold without being able to figure it out..is this something frequent on this game and in general on DE games? On the old LAH the coil continued to go stuck even after replacing transistor, pre driver and coil itself!

#2082 4 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Wow, never thought the LAH translite could be made any worse...

LOL. I have seen it before. I actually think it is kind if funny and the author made some great choices on the background images. I especially like the reaper.
542 Days and Counting.....

#2083 4 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

.is this something frequent

Not anything I've experienced. Maybe the switch was too close and relaxed into a continuously touching position, locking the pop bumper on. This might also have blown your transistor. Check your switch and see if it's still working in test mode (desolder one side if the stuck coil first for testing).

#2084 4 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Where did you get those? I'd like a set.

Shoot me your address and I’ll drop them in the mail

#2085 4 years ago

Ok I just got mine back from the shop and the left scoop is bricking terrible. I have the cliffy on it and after playing three games last night it went in 2 out of 26 times i hit it directly. what can I do to get a better percentage on this shot falling.

#2086 4 years ago

Proud to join in the LAH club. I suspect as I unpack it and start playing around I will find a few treats. Hasta La Vista baby!

One item:

Crane lock will not activate. Limit switches on both left and right work. Coil reads 50.2 Ohms, Diode IN14003 is approx 0.5V drop. The Vuk puts the ball in the crane, it has enough force that it rolls over the tip of the crane lock and stays in place. Crane swings back to left. Activates limit and crane lock does not release. The only thing between the coil would be TIP122, correct me if I'm wrong. I have not tested this fet Q43? yet. Is this prone to shoring out or hitting max breakdown? I may possibly need to lower the diode on the coil to an IN14002. Also checked Crane lock in coil test, Will not activate.

2nd items. the ball trough is a true PITA. lots of bending and bowing of the micro switch levers to get to work. If these are not right it causes for random ball drains (i.e flippers stop) thinking play was over.

3) micro switch for Spinner. When the ball comes from the other direction from pop turbo bumpers doesnt this cause issues with spinner micro switch lever?
poor design. should have put switch under table with pull up/down mechanism. Are there any pictures of what a correctly working spinner looks like, especially the micro switch lever. Close up's would be nice.

"To be, or not to be" Not to be?
IMG_4208 (resized).JPGIMG_4208 (resized).JPG

#2087 4 years ago
Quoted from TREX:

Proud to join in the LAH club. I suspect as I unpack it and start playing around I will find a few treats. Hasta La Vista baby!
One item:
Crane lock will not activate. Limit switches on both left and right work. Coil reads 50.2 Ohms, Diode IN14003 is approx 0.5V drop. The Vuk puts the ball in the crane, it has enough force that it rolls over the tip of the crane lock and stays in place. Crane swings back to left. Activates limit and crane lock does not release. The only thing between the coil would be TIP122, correct me if I'm wrong. I have not tested this fet Q43? yet. Is this prone to shoring out or hitting max breakdown? I may possibly need to lower the diode on the coil to an IN14002. Also checked Crane lock in coil test, Will not activate.
2nd items. the ball trough is a true PITA. lots of bending and bowing of the micro switch levers to get to work. If these are not right it causes for random ball drains (i.e flippers stop) thinking play was over.
3) micro switch for Spinner. When the ball comes from the other direction from pop turbo bumpers doesnt this cause issues with spinner micro switch lever?
poor design. should have put switch under table with pull up/down mechanism. Are there any pictures of what a correctly working spinner looks like, especially the micro switch lever. Close up's would be nice.
"To be, or not to be" Not to be?
[quoted image]

There should be no issues with the spinner. The point of a spinner is for it to spin either direction without issue. If it was only meant for one direction - it would be considered a gate.

The coil is reading 50ohms?! That seems wrong. I don't know the specs for that coil, but that doesn't seem right. The coil MIGHT be bad, but that is a rare case indeed. Chances are if that coil is bad - the transistor that fires it is bad. I'll have to check my specs when I'm off work.

#2088 4 years ago

As far as the spinner goes. it appears this had a shorter lever in it thus causing the issues.

The coil is a 1800 wind coil. It states 50.2 Ohms. Which seems correct. Seems okay. I'll take a look at the board and the corresponding FET. Because even in test mode the crane lock pin will not fire at the left limit or the right limit switch. or by its self.

Best

TRex from Dallas Texas

#2089 4 years ago
Quoted from TREX:

As far as the spinner goes. it appears this had a shorter lever in it thus causing the issues...

I had the same problem when I replaced my spinner switch. Even tho the replacement part number was right, lever was way too short.

#2090 4 years ago

Hmmm.... Wonder why my magnets stopped working?

First time I looked at this board, what a kludge! Wrong connectors, two screws missing. Oh well, the joys of fixing other peoples 'repairs'. But the game has been rock solid for a couple of years, so despite the hack-job, it's probably been like that for +20 years and worked just fine. Can't complain too much.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Found the FETs/heatsinks in the bottom of the cabinet. Luckily I had some new IRL540 FETs so I replaced and all is good. Going to do the 0.22uF mod as soon as the part shows up.

#2091 4 years ago
Quoted from rdonohue13:

Ok I just got mine back from the shop and the left scoop is bricking terrible. I have the cliffy on it and after playing three games last night it went in 2 out of 26 times i hit it directly. what can I do to get a better percentage on this shot falling.

I had the same problem. eventually I just took off the cliffy from the left scoop (kept the other 2 on). Mine was already worn, so it's not like I'm trying to protect something that looks new.

#2092 4 years ago

Today during gameplay, the left flipper stopped working on my LAH. Switch is fine (can trigger ball for instance). I replaced coil sleeve, plunger, EOS switch etc. a couple of days ago, everything worked fine after that. I even reflowed to solder on the coil.

Any suggestions?

#2093 4 years ago

Chances are its your EOS. Lots of people bypass the EOS in this DE era. Try pressing the contacts of the EOS together and firing the flipper. If it works - your easiest bet is to just solder the two wires together and not even use the EOS. There is a board mod out there, but I haven't cared enough to look it up. I have been bypassing the EOS for years without issues - that includes being played non stop at TPF.

#2094 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Chances are its your EOS.

You, Sir, are a genius! It WAS the brand new EOS I had installed just a few days ago. Solder joints were fine, had to bend the switch blades a bit to make it actually stay closed when not engaged. Hard to spot error!

On a side note, while looking into this problem I discovered that many of the fuse holders are weak and will probably break soon. Oh well, that's Data East for you, right?

#2095 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmmm.... Wonder why my magnets stopped working?
First time I looked at this board, what a kludge! Wrong connectors, two screws missing. Oh well, the joys of fixing other peoples 'repairs'. But the game has been rock solid for a couple of years, so despite the hack-job, it's probably been like that for +20 years and worked just fine. Can't complain too much.
[quoted image]
Found the FETs/heatsinks in the bottom of the cabinet. Luckily I had some new IRL540 FETs so I replaced and all is good. Going to do the 0.22uF mod as soon as the part shows up.

I have to do this mod too since my magnets keep blowing fuses! Do you know which kind of capacitor is needed for this mod? Cylindrical or flat type? How many Volts should it be?

Thanks!!

#2096 4 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

I have to do this mod too since my magnets keep blowing fuses! Do you know which kind of capacitor is needed for this mod? Cylindrical or flat type? How many Volts should it be?
Thanks!!

In case you didn't know, the 0.22uF goes from the clock (pin 11) to ground. I saw the mod here: https://www.techdose.com/repairlog/Repairing-a-Data-East-Last-Action-Hero-Magnet-Controller-Board/306/page1.html. Can't vouch for what it does, but I suspect it filters out a glitch or cleans up the clock signal.

Since it's used on a 5V chip, any cap 10V and above is fine (rule of thumb is 2X actual voltage). Since the capacitance is small, it's not uncommon to find caps rated a lot higher in voltage. I found a non-polarized, axial lead, 50V at one of the electronic distributors. I'll likely tack it on the board and secure with a dab of silicone. I know G.P.E is a member here, might want to check out his site.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I should add that the IRL540 FETs have a lower 'on' resistance than the P20N10 FETs (0.077 vs. 0.12 ohms) and a lower thermal resistance (1.0 vs. 1.4 C/W) which means the IRL540 parts will run cooler.

#2097 4 years ago

Need an opinion. Decided to put orange titans on the game. Was thinking of trading out the clear star post for blue. I am also doing blue rubber posts and should I go with orange or blue on the flippers.
20190522_175859 (resized).jpg20190522_175859 (resized).jpg

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Need an opinion. Decided to put orange titans on the game. Was thinking of trading out the clear star post for blue. I am also doing blue rubber posts and should I go with orange or blue on the flippers.
[quoted image]

I like the blue better but there's a lot of blue down there already, so you might want the contrast of orange.

#2099 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

[quoted image]

I would go with complimentary colors to the dominant art in the area for best visual appeal (i.e. I choose orange).

#2100 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

[quoted image]

I have orange and yellow on my machine and I like it, but wish I went with something else. Yellow red or yellow blue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.